Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    My solution? Every series is 2 games (including the last). You do two games a week. Test the depth. We're only talking 3 series, here (conf semi, conf final, cup final). You could be done before the November FIFA break.
    One option that was mentioned was to run each playoff conference like a World Cup group stage with 4 teams playing a round robin over the space of two weeks, followed by a one-game conference final a couple of days later and the MLS Cup the week after that. Roughly 4 days between games would test team depth and force teams to play a less conservative style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think once the league gets to 28 teams, they will go to a single elimination 16 team playoff, like the WC/Euro knockout round system. One round a week would make the playoffs a month long.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man just looked at the MLS website and lots of whining going on over there. People can't stand that Bradley made that one big save stopping Meram and that Jozy scored the winner. These people need to grow up and get a life. Had a blast yesterday at the stadium although it took me 2.5 hrs to get there from Ajax and it is usually no more than 1.5 hrs usually in rush hour traffic. What the hell was with the east-west congestion in the downtown core yesterday? No good options over the other to get across from DVP to the stadium. I sat on Lakeshore watching a light go from red to green about 4-5 times before I could get through it. Lucky I left as early as I did. I thought we were going to have a sparse crowd at the start because of that but most people made it...amazing. On to the next one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Just watched the second half again...and frankly I've wondered about Giovinco in the play-offs in general. Whether he really has that big game cup winning mentality. Watching the goal again - and as much as Vasquez's pass was brilliant it was Gio that made the goal. He had no business winning that long ball..but the hold up and flick to Vasquez is immaculate. It was a beautiful goal - and Gio did the job. Would love to see him score a few next week.
    Watching from a tv point of view, Gio was unoticed on the pitch tonight obviously other than the goal with Jozy and Vasquez. I feel that something is off with him hes still in my eyes one of the best and for that reason i seem to notice that his usual style of play is not the norm.
    Like i said it could be the weather or something else. But the cold really isnt ideal for soccer and when our temps get to -5 and below i dont think any player would like it but Gio seems to really dissaprove of it. I hope he knocks in goals in the finals and proves my theory wrong but ill come to a final conclusion when that day comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.O TILL I DIE View Post
    Watching from a tv point of view, Gio was unoticed on the pitch tonight obviously other than the goal with Jozy and Vasquez. I feel that something is off with him hes still in my eyes one of the best and for that reason i seem to notice that his usual style of play is not the norm.
    Like i said it could be the weather or something else. But the cold really isnt ideal for soccer and when our temps get to -5 and below i dont think any player would like it but Gio seems to really dissaprove of it. I hope he knocks in goals in the finals and proves my theory wrong but ill come to a final conclusion when that day comes.
    From my memory, didn't he draw at least one foul outside the box in the first half? I didn't think he looked particularly bad last night--we just struggled to get him the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any comments on the seriousness of Jozy's injury?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam1001 View Post
    Any comments on the seriousness of Jozy's injury?
    Haven't heard about the actual injury, but he was super emphatic in interviews that he's gonna play in the final.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fernandinho View Post
    Friendly reminder to hit up your neighbourhood dollar store and stock up on streamers everyone.
    My WORD, that's a great avatar you got there!

I was roaring after every defensive play, and lost it on the goal—stuff of legends.

If you're still on the fence about Jozy, there's no hope. Better yet, watch his post-game interview, and try not to fall in love:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/1...?autoplay=true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    From my memory, didn't he draw at least one foul outside the box in the first half? I didn't think he looked particularly bad last night--we just struggled to get him the ball.
    The way he looked last night either the Columbus defense shut him down or he just wasn't into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba hasn't played since how long, fully expected a quiet night from him. That's not a reflection of his motivation, I'm sure he want to score ten goals. Should be sharper in the Final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    There were at *least* two he drew in the first half. I thought the ref was calling that stuff reasonably well. He didn't get hacked in the usual way, just a more standard MLS mauling (which makes his setup of the goal even more remarkable).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whositwhatnow View Post
    The way he looked last night either the Columbus defense shut him down or he just wasn't into it.
    Seba was triple marked at times and he’s getting no service from the midfield. Columbus was focused on stopping us from building from the back and making us hoof it out.

When Seba did get the ball, he was dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my perspective, we played extremely conservatively and seemed either afraid to try something risky/creative or were simply instructed not to do so. Vazquez seemed off.

And, like I said after game 1, Osorio is where TFC possession goes to die. He was atrocious.

That being said, we won! Onwards and upwards.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    From my perspective, we played extremely conservatively and seemed either afraid to try something risky/creative or were simply instructed not to do so. Vazquez seemed off.

And, like I said after game 1, Osorio is where TFC possession goes to die. He was atrocious.

That being said, we won! Onwards and upwards.
    How is he starting over Delgado, or Hasler.. or Edwards..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    You got me. Delgado maybe doesn't have Osorio's ability for an occasional spark of real creativity, but he looked much more composed on the ball. I would have taken any of those guys you listed over Osorio. In fact, for a big game, I would have given Cheyrou his spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    edwards pooped the bag last game he was subbed in

but i agree, i dont see osorio as a start on this team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Osario please. I know his stats are half decent because he mostly passes backwards. I know he is a Canadian boy, but that’s not enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to come out and say Osorio was excellent by any means but he's being made way too much of a whipping boy for whatever is happening to this team right now in open play. At least give the guy some credit for showing for the ball and providing an outlet. The lack of passing options is a bit of an issue in the final third. It's basically two strikers blanketed by defenders, midfielders who all want to make the final pass but refuse to make the final run, and fullbacks who've either lost their desire to move forward or have been told to play more defensively.

And Delgado's been pretty crappy as well, dare i say it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody mentioned Giovinco and Vazquez not doing very much, or being invisible. I think Columbus had a pretty clear game plan. We saw similar from NYRB (but NY hacked more). We are likely to see the same in the Cup, as opponents watch the tapes and see what works. Whenever Gio got the ball, he quickly had 2-3 Crew players on him. We're used to that by now; but the Crew was doing the same to Vazquez most of the time. Higuain & others were working their butts off to pressure Vazquez & others in midfield. It really stifled our play. I think most of the time the Crew had 6 players in midfield.

Despite this midfield pressure, TFC players were making lots of soft passes in midfield; or they were standing & waiting to receive a pass, letting a Columbus player get there first as a result.

But especially with the full view in the stadium, Seba & Vazquez weren't invisible. Seba was working harder than in some previous games, even battling with much bigger players (like bringing down & holding up the ball from Bono, and helping to set up our goal; plus earning a dangerous free kick in the first half).

When opponents pressure our best playmakers like that, others have to step up. That didn't really happen yesterday. For example, Mavinga has been providing some good passes to our attacking midfielders and forwards in other games, but he was off last night. He almost seemed to be playing injured at times; like jogging back slowly on the play where Bradley had his goal-saving tackle on Meram.

Another thing was missing most of last night: players were not moving much off the ball. A couple of times, I saw Giovinco and Vazquez screaming and waving their arms because all the other TFC players were just standing and watching them as they had the ball.

We also needed some quicker balls played from time to time. When the opponent pressures your midfielders and playmakers like that, you can bet there's a big gap elsewhere. I remember at specific times Morrow, Altidore, or other players were standing all open in acres of space, and our other players wouldn't see them or wouldn't pass to them.

Things got much better with the formation change & Delgado coming on. I think Delgado needs to start in the final. Osario had some much better games recently, but doesn't do well when there's lots of pressure & little time in midfield. It's not really a personal thing about Osorio; just as much a reaction to how both his teammates & the opponents are playing.

On the flipside, TFC also did well pressuring Columbus in midfield, especially Higuain. (Except in the last 10 minutes, when TFC was suddenly giving Higuain & others a ton of time & space to run towards goal. Fans were screaming for them to get closed down. Some combination of mental & physical fatigue; or confusion about assignments.)

Remember that despite not playing that great, especially in the first half, TFC had some great chances, including the missed PK. I think that 3-1 would have been a fair result based on good goal chances in the game.

If TFC can convert better in the final; and find a way to work around Vazquez & Giovinco if they're being pressured too much, then TFC can do much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado and Vazquez have been working well together all summer long, why change it by starting Osorio (he is a late sub in my opinion), the Canadian boy stuff can just go away, there are better options on our bench. Hell at least Cooper took a shot at goal from outside of the box, and played very well, remember Copper is the only one on TFC going to a World Cup this time around.

We won that is what counts, good teams win ugly games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Delgado and Vazquez have been working well together all summer long, why change it by starting Osorio (he is a late sub in my opinion), the Canadian boy stuff can just go away, there are better options on our bench. Hell at least Cooper took a shot at goal from outside of the box, and played very well, remember Copper is the only one on TFC going to a World Cup this time around.

We won that is what counts, good teams win ugly games.
    Exactly. I was happy overall with yesterday. TFC created plenty of chances in a difficult game. And Columbus only had a single shot on goal. A bit better finishing by TFC (incl. the PK) and that could have been an easier game.

However I think it's useful to learn from yesterday's game (and last year MLS Cup), looking for ways to improve for the final. I'm sure Vanney & the lads will be doing the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One good thing about last night: we got Vazquez because we needed that last bit of quality in the final third to unlock defences defending in numbers, and that's exactly what Vazquez did. Hopefully that will make a big difference against Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser09 View Post
    Just watched the match highlights. Anyone else notice Gio didn't lift the trophy with the team? Looks like the whole team came out except for him.
    Wouldn't read into it too much. He was urging all the players over to the south end as quickly as possible after the game to do the drums, motioning that he was super cold and just wanted to get out of there.

Creating Giovinco hysteria is so last year. He's fine. Just wants to win and some nice room temperature.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 11-30-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a few think we may have been lucky to not have been scored on in the 2 major changes Columbus had in the game, but the same can be said about how unlucky TFC was with their chances.

Columbus' break away in the first half vs TFC's penalty
    The missed tap in by Kamara in the 86th vs Mavinga's weak tap to the keeper off that corner
    Not to mention that scramble play TFC had at the end of the first half, Osorio's missed header, and oh yeah - Altidore's goal.

Oh and anyone saying Giovinco was disinterested must not have been watching. He ran his ass off all game. I've never seen him track back in our defensive end as much as he did last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Wouldn't read into it too much. He was urging all the players over to the south end as quickly as possible, motioning he was super cold and just wanted to get out of there.

Creating Giovinco hysteria is so last year. He's fine. Just wants to win and some nice room temperature.
    Absolutely! Can we stop with this garbage of reading into Giovinco's actions? If he hated it here so much, he would have left already. Contract or not, it would have happened. See Defoe.

If he was disinterested for the trophy celebration, I wouldn't blame him. Accepting crowning the champion via playoffs is one thing, but to receive a trophy for winning a semi-final is rather silly if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People keep saying that Gio doesn’t play well in the cold. Where did people get this narrative? He was very good against Philly and both legs against New York last year in the playoffs. Where he struggles is when there are extended breaks or he gets hurt. He has always played his best when he’s played 5-6 games in a row. That’s just how he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok...let's put the navel gazing aside. I'm out here in Victoria... the SeattleAmericans think that they are going to do it again - looking at it on Facebook is unbearable. We the fans are going to have to will this team through to victory. There is no other option.
    Last edited by Hamilton_Red; 12-01-2017 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    People keep saying that Gio doesn’t play well in the cold. Where did people get this narrative? He was very good against Philly and both legs against New York last year in the playoffs. Where he struggles is when there are extended breaks or he gets hurt. He has always played his best when he’s played 5-6 games in a row. That’s just how he is.
    he needs precision to gain his advantage, you gained that through getting a rythm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    I know a few think we may have been lucky to not have been scored on in the 2 major changes Columbus had in the game, but the same can be said about how unlucky TFC was with their chances.

Columbus' break away in the first half vs TFC's penalty
    The missed tap in by Kamara in the 86th vs Mavinga's weak tap to the keeper off that corner
    Not to mention that scramble play TFC had at the end of the first half, Osorio's missed header, and oh yeah - Altidore's goal.

Oh and anyone saying Giovinco was disinterested must not have been watching. He ran his ass off all game. I've never seen him track back in our defensive end as much as he did last night.
    yes, he was all over the field trying to find space and shake things up.

he was triple teamed all game. someone else should have steped up with the extra space, but it just wasnt happening. VV is the one that didnt have his best day and Oso and Delgado just dont have that extra gear to unlock bunkering teams. Even Jozy was having a tough time getting on the ball in that first half.

its playoffs, this is the type of soccer that gets produced

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    You got me. Delgado maybe doesn't have Osorio's ability for an occasional spark of real creativity, but he looked much more composed on the ball. I would have taken any of those guys you listed over Osorio. In fact, for a big game, I would have given Cheyrou his spot.
    I doubt he is match fit anymore.