Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BMO to add 5,000 seats plus Argos???

Hi All!

This is my first post and unfortunately I bring unhappy news, however it is news that needs to be heard. During the all-star week their was a meeting of the MLS board of Directors, where a good source of mine heard Peddie himself say that BMO was going to add an additional 5,000 seats during a speech he made. He also heard from others who were at this meeting that the reason they're doing this is to help facilitate transitioning the Argos to BMO field!!!! He also mentioned that everyone in the room was extremely excited about this new venture.

Believe it or not there is one plus side and that is that this meeting took place before the all-star game in which our protest was made. Hopefully it helped. I for one, want to see BMO field continue to be a soccer specific field, along with future plans in place to bring in some real grass so we can get some real talent, along with some proper teams coming over for exhibitions. I'm not sure what to do at this point, however I do feel that we must continue to make our voices, wants, and needs heard. I wouldn't want to protest during the games, because I'd like to support the players but perhaps some sort of protest after the game might be feasible. Let's not be pushovers like leaf supporters.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Some of your information is in contradiction with what we have been led to believe. I've been told that MLSE/TFC do not want anything to do with the Argonauts coming to BMO Field and are advising the city against the proposal. Of course, there's not a great deal they can do about it as the city owns the facility, but as operaters and primary tenants they are (according to the latest info I've heard) not happy with the possibility of BMO Field losing its status as a soccer-specific facility.

Moreover, the addition of 5,000 seats won't be enough for CFL requirements which is around 30,000, I believe.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard enough he said/she said, 3rd source, close friend of mine, a little bird told me to last a life time. This is the thing I hate most about the MLS...the behind close door mentality. It's not just TFC/MLSE it's the entire league that acts this way. No one will come out and give us the official poop so we have to rely on BS, MLS Rumors, MLS Undergorund, and our own boards for info.
    I'd rather have the city and MLSE just come out and say, 'Yep the Agros are moving in and we are getting 5,000 new seats.' then to have to go through this slop.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Also, I should point out that the league (MLS) is probably none to happy with the prospect of groundsharing as well.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    I have heard enough he said/she said, 3rd source, close friend of mine, a little bird told me to last a life time. This is the thing I hate most about the MLS...the behind close door mentality. It's not just TFC/MLSE it's the entire league that acts this way. No one will come out and give us the official poop so we have to rely on BS, MLS Rumors, MLS Undergorund, and our own boards for info.
    I'd rather have the city and MLSE just come out and say, 'Yep the Agros are moving in and we are getting 5,000 new seats.' then to have to go through this slop.

LMFAO!!!!!

I agree with you 100%

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    ^ Also, I should point out that the league (MLS) is probably none to happy with the prospect of groundsharing as well.
    If you mean other pro teams..yeah, but most MLS stadiums are already ground sharing. The Crew stadium hosts a few OSU Buckeye football practices and scrimages along with local high school football and soccer and has been turned into a concert venue like FC Dallas and the Fire's SSS. Not to mention the Sounders will play in Qwest Stadium home of the NFL Seahawks with no intent on building a SSS.
    So ground sharing isn't that big of a deal I would think for the MLS. It's making sure the ownership of the club is in good hands that the MLS is more worried about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally asked Don Garber, at the MLS All-Star press conference the following question...

"Mr. Garber, I'm sure you're aware of the protest the Toronto supporters groups are attempting tonight simply because of a rumor the Toronto Argos might move into BMO field. I'm not going to ask you to pick a side in the matter, but what are your thoughts on BMO field possibly losing being a soccer specific stadium."

This was his answer, said directly to me, and the entire press room at the All-Star game from Don Garber himself (in attendance was Richard Peddie from MLSE)...

"...I will pick a side, I don't want the Argos to move into BMO field... Unfortunately we don't control the stadium, and to an extent neither does MLSE, its owned by the city... I want it to remain soccer specific..."

His answer went on to speak about the protest, the great fans in Toronto, how we are the model franchise...

So no 3rd party, no hearsay, the Commission of the League does not want the Toronto Argos to move into BMO Field... However, the league is not in control, they have a say, an opinion, and I'm sure some 'pull' but they don't have the final call...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultimately the Argos are in control. If they want to push and push the city will have to let them in. That's where protests should be targeted.

London: "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." B. Shankly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Write the mayor, MLSE, the teacher's pension folks, TFC, MLS, etc (see below):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_L..._Entertainment

mayor_miller@toronto.ca

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting tired of this on again on again debate. I wish the Argos would sign a lease with the Skydome and end this whole debate.

Also I highly doubt that there would be any announcement about the stadium while TFC is still playing games this season. I think we would riot.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not this again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think bmo field deserves that carpet at Real Salt Lake. They got really loud supporters and can beat us. I heard no one refuses to play there, despite the fact that it's so high you spend most of the week on oxygen. Perhaps that church based there is the attraction.

My vote is to buy that beautiful carpet from them.

And put pipes under the field so they can play hockey there too, hey it's happening at Wrigley Field!

JUST KIDDING!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I personally asked Don Garber, at the MLS All-Star press conference the following question...

"Mr. Garber, I'm sure you're aware of the protest the Toronto supporters groups are attempting tonight simply because of a rumor the Toronto Argos might move into BMO field. I'm not going to ask you to pick a side in the matter, but what are your thoughts on BMO field possibly losing being a soccer specific stadium."

This was his answer, said directly to me, and the entire press room at the All-Star game from Don Garber himself (in attendance was Richard Peddie from MLSE)...

"...I will pick a side, I don't want the Argos to move into BMO field... Unfortunately we don't control the stadium, and to an extent neither does MLSE, its owned by the city... I want it to remain soccer specific..."

His answer went on to speak about the protest, the great fans in Toronto, how we are the model franchise...

So no 3rd party, no hearsay, the Commission of the League does not want the Toronto Argos to move into BMO Field... However, the league is not in control, they have a say, an opinion, and I'm sure some 'pull' but they don't have the final call...

Carts...
    This guys posts are pure class every time. Great scoop on that one!

London: "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." B. Shankly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Write the Mayor then: mayor_miller@toronto.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think either the City Of Toronto or MLSE will want to piss off the MLS/TFC fans by making BMO a shared stadium with the argos. MLSE is always have and always be more interested about making money. As of now TFC is a cash cow to them. I don't think they will allow the Argos to piss off the TFC fans and have a backlash in profit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel sick to my stomach.

I just get the feeling this is happening and we can't do anything to stop it.

What's worse...it revealed an antipathy even by "supporters".

And then add to that it's for 5000 seats? All this pain for a measly 5000 seats? Ugh...

TGIF...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigLou View Post
    This guys posts are pure class every time. Great scoop on that one!
    I'll second that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5,000 wouldn't even reach the Argos average attendance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jiforio View Post
    Hi All!

This is my first post and unfortunately I bring unhappy news, however it is news that needs to be heard. During the all-star week their was a meeting of the MLS board of Directors, where a good source of mine heard Peddie himself say that BMO was going to add an additional 5,000 seats during a speech he made. He also heard from others who were at this meeting that the reason they're doing this is to help facilitate transitioning the Argos to BMO field!!!! He also mentioned that everyone in the room was extremely excited about this new venture.

Believe it or not there is one plus side and that is that this meeting took place before the all-star game in which our protest was made. Hopefully it helped. I for one, want to see BMO field continue to be a soccer specific field, along with future plans in place to bring in some real grass so we can get some real talent, along with some proper teams coming over for exhibitions. I'm not sure what to do at this point, however I do feel that we must continue to make our voices, wants, and needs heard. I wouldn't want to protest during the games, because I'd like to support the players but perhaps some sort of protest after the game might be feasible. Let's not be pushovers like leaf supporters.

You could add 5,000 to BMO without changing much (basically a second level to the east side.

Also, I think the argos would need at least another 10,000 seats to satisfy them.

Thirdly, I think this is all BS.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let the Argos have BMO. MLSE is probably secretly hoping for this so that they can break their deal with the City, and either build a better and larger SSS, or take over the Rogers Centre, and modify it for MLS.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smenge...I love your passion...but dude...your posts on this board border on the ludicrous.

That is the most absurd thing I have ever read about this Argo situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    Ultimately the Argos are in control. If they want to push and push the city will have to let them in. That's where protests should be targeted.
    I disagree that the Argos are "in control" and that they can just push the city to do this.

the city technically owns the stadium but without MLSE the stadium couldn't be run (the city doesn't know how to run a stadium, neither do the Argos).
    MLSE also signed a revenue sharing agreement with the City and the CSA that would have to be modified if the Argos came in. That means any entry of the Argos to BMO would require MLSE's written approval. I mean, even the smallest things (like where would the Argos dressing room would be) would immediately effect TFC and the CSA. the city would never push the Argos in unless MLSE agrees.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Something about this thread just screams "bullsh*t" at me.

Who's your "good source", is Larry Tanenbaum your uncle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Christmas Carol/chant!

Oh Tanenbaum, Oh Tanenbaum,
    Your field turf is so gree-een.
    Oh Tanenbaum, Oh Tanenbaum,
    Your field turf is so gree-een.

Keep the Argos out, and let them go
    To York U, it's nice you know,
    Oh Tannenbaum Oh Tannenbaum
    Your his uncle and he does say so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow... that is a ridiculous story! lol

In the beginning it is true that MLSE wanted the argos to share the cost in building BMO field but the argos thought they were better and wanted to build their own "football" specific stadium. So MLSE and the city went on their own way and build a soccer specific stadium and guess what happens? the argos deal falls apart and now they are looking for a new place .. but guess what.. MLSE build the stadium so that it would not expand to fit a football field.

There is only talk to add more seating to BMO and NOT TO ADD THE AGROS

i'm not sure where all these stupid rumours come from

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Moreover, the addition of 5,000 seats won't be enough for CFL requirements which is around 30,000, I believe.
    I don't think there is a CFL-mandated minimum capacity.

Mosaic Stadium (Regina): 28,800
    CanadInns Stadium (Winnipeg): 29,503
    Molson Stadium (Montreal): 20,202

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Argos ever move to BMO, I will release my season ticket. I love TFC but do not think that I cannot turn my back on them, I would never had placed my initial deposit for season tickets a year before the first season if I had known that in a couple years it would be made into a american football stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American football stadium?

WWWWWTTTTFFFFF (elmer fudd)
    I'm going to start a protest if BMO if the Argos join the NFL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey maybe we could use a lingerie soccer team like the americans have the lingerie bowl. Wow......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just need BMO to remain at its 20,000 capacity and no one will join us. Don't expand and the cows won't feed from our bountiful troths.