Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LAFC expansion draft - Dec 12, 2PM

MLS has set the time for the expansion draft, the full calendar of dates for releasing the protected list, etc. is here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...augural-season

They can choose five players, TFC can protect eleven.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-15-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Mavinga, Morrow, Bradley, Delgado, Vazquez, Altidore, Giovinco?

And we could protect one more but not sure who it would be. Ricketts maybe? Moor has a lost a step and wouldn't be taken. I'd hate to see either Hasler or Beitashour go, but we can afford to lose one or the other. Who else does that leave that could be taken? I believe Osorio/Hamilton/Edwards don't need to be protected. So we'd risk losing a rightback, Ricketts, or Cooper. Cooper is the one I'm most okay with - eating up a lot of salary on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Cooper but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go. I think we should protect Ricketts or Hasler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather see Ricketts stay on account of him being Canadian. I am really fond of Hasler though. It's a shame we will probably lose someone who has been instrumental in making this team what it has been this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler’s attractiveness to others is totally a function of his contract. Impossible to have an opinion without those details
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel as though Hasler will be protected as Betiashour is a free agent in the offseason (same with Moor) and their salary demands will probably have LAFC not take them with and expansion pick only to lose them immediately for nothing.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if Bono still falls under the GA protection?

Edit: Nevermind I just re-read the rules and answered my own stupid question.
    Last edited by Blindside16; 11-17-2017 at 01:31 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Hasler’s attractiveness to others is totally a function of his contract. Impossible to have an opinion without those details
    Pretty sure I heard him say in an interview that the contract was less this year to help make the cap work but a bigger hit next year so maybe he will be left unprotected due to the bigger cap hit next season compared to this year. Depends how big I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Pretty sure I heard him say in an interview that the contract was less this year to help make the cap work but a bigger hit next year so maybe he will be left unprotected due to the bigger cap hit next season compared to this year. Depends how big I guess.

I can't remember where I read it but I remember reading that his contract was back loaded. I think next year he is due to make $100,000+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well - I'd have a chat with Bradley. If he wants to go an play for his Dad then I wouldn't get in the way. I doubt that they would want to do that. In that case I'd leave him unprotected.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Well - I'd have a chat with Bradley. If he wants to go an play for his Dad then I wouldn't get in the way. I doubt that they would want to do that. In that case I'd leave him unprotected.
    He's already on record as preferring to stay in Toronto over playing for his dad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd protect in the draft

Bono
    Zavaletta
    Hagglund
    Zavinga
    Morrow
    Osorio
    Vasquez
    Delgado
    Giovinco
    Edwards
    Hasler

Unlikely they will take any Canadians (might even replace Edwards and Osorio). Bradley not likely to go. Doubt they would want Jozy at his his price... Best to protect the core of the team that is not DP. If they decide to take a big money player...they can be replaced pretty easily.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All new teams start a few weeks before the draft telling other teams in the league who they are likely to pick from the likely unprotected. Then teams horse trade to see what to give the expansion team.

In our case, I don't think any trading is going to happen. They have probably already told TFC who they want. They are taking Irwin. And he's not coming back this time.

The protected list for us is then just an exercise in not giving LAFC anybody more valuable.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    All new teams start a few weeks before the draft telling other teams in the league who they are likely to pick from the likely unprotected. Then teams horse trade to see what to give the expansion team.

In our case, I don't think any trading is going to happen. They have probably already told TFC who they want. They are taking Irwin. And he's not coming back this time.

The protected list for us is then just an exercise in not giving LAFC anybody more valuable.
    Agreed. Irwin will want to play, and he's a starter for most other teams. TFC needs "cap" (salary budget) space. It's best for everyone if Irwin moves on. Bono is now our number one. A lower priced backup is better for us in a salary cap league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd protect in the draft

Bono
    Zavaletta
    Hagglund
    Zavinga
    Morrow
    Osorio
    Vasquez
    Delgado
    Giovinco
    Edwards
    Hasler

Unlikely they will take any Canadians (might even replace Edwards and Osorio). Bradley not likely to go. Doubt they would want Jozy at his his price... Best to protect the core of the team that is not DP. If they decide to take a big money player...they can be replaced pretty easily.
    Jozy and Bradley must be protected as they have NTC. Bono and maybe Edwards are auto protected and do not count to the 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    I feel as though Hasler will be protected as Betiashour is a free agent in the offseason (same with Moor) and their salary demands will probably have LAFC not take them with and expansion pick only to lose them immediately for nothing.
    I think we'll lose one of them. And considering we have a ready replacement at RB (Hasler) I think Beita goes to whoever gives him the most money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Osorio should stay after last night/ his recent form. Either we protect him or we trade for him if he gets selected like we did for Irwin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    I think Osorio should stay after last night/ his recent form. Either we protect him or we trade for him if he gets selected like we did for Irwin.
    Toronto boy or not, what form he may have come to in the last game, Osorio has got to go he’s just not worth 200K and it’s his contract year. He played like a man possessed last night, all the boys did and I will be first to admit JOSO played with heart last night, but 1 game does not make a 200K Salary, might I remind you of the numerous absolute bonehead blunders over the last 2+ years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless LAFC have worked out some kind of deal, I would take a long hard look at Ricketts as an attacking option. The man has been clutch for us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Unless LAFC have worked out some kind of deal, I would take a long hard look at Ricketts as an attacking option. The man has been clutch for us.
    I bet Edwards is gone. So much has happened, but people were talking about him as an allstar in the first half of the year (I thought Edwards was automatically protected, as a homegrown. Surprised to see him on the list.)

Edwards' and Ricketts' highest value is to a Canadian team. Vancouver or Montreal may try to trade with LAFC for one of them. (Vancouver just dealt for Kamara, so it won’t be them on Ricketts.)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-10-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitecaps won’t go for Edwards - too similar to Davies. He is probably a safe bet - doubt LA would go for Rickets either. WHitecaps look pretty un-ambitious Kei Kamera is a pretty high risk option IMO not clear whether he has peaked or just been shuffling around poor teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Cup on the 9th.
    Parade on the 11th.
    New team on the 12th.

That sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS needs to do away with this annual charade. Just give expansion teams an extra 300k allocation and a couple extra international slots for the first couple years and they'll be just fine. Especially now that you can pick up domestics in free agency. Vast majority of players taken just end up as trading chips anyways or released before the second year.

FWIW, the only player I think there's a chance of us losing is Irwin. A solid experienced GK is really the only kind of higher salary player that an expansion side is going to want from the expansion draft. Other than that I think they take cheap domestic depth players or players that they already have buyers for, and save their cap space and international spots for roster building through the open market (free agency, trades, and signings)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitecaps won’t go for Edwards - too similar to Davies. He is probably a safe bet - doubt LA would go for Rickets either. WHitecaps look pretty un-ambitious Kei Kamera is a pretty high risk option IMO not clear whether he has peaked or just been shuffling around poor teams.
    Davies has until his 18th birthday, then he’s gone in a hurry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if the 'Caps are unlikely to take either of them (I don't think Kamara and Ricketts would make a good tandem, but a lot of poached goals to be sure...) What anout the Limpact? Can they offer LAFC anything in trade?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so confident we are going to lose Raheem to LAFC, he's young, produced last year and on a minimum contract - totally worth an international slot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unprotected Players

Would like to hear opinions on what people think the odds of players like Beitashour, Ricketts, Cooper, and Moor coming back next year? I think they have earned to stay here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Toronto will try to bring back any player that gets selected. LAFC won't select Moor, Beitashour or Hernandez as their contracts will end and they can re-sign here if they so wish.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei was definitely an unprotected player on Saturday!

Wait... what are we talking about? lol