Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take it under the circumstances. Bono really saved our ass tonight.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

Edwards was horrendous... He came in and was constantly missing his coverage.
    It's probably worth mentioning that all season long people have been endlessly crapping on Vanney for playing Cooper instead of Edwards.

I think now it's pretty clear why.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad. But not good.

Our side definitely needs Seba and Jozy ready for next week. If the Pisstains score first we're in deep shit.

Meanwhile, Seattle is toying around with Houston on their own turf. The Snotbags look like the best side in MLS right now.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering who we were missing I'm happy enough with that. An away goal would have been nice, but nil each away from home against a team that was flying, I'll take that. Bradley getting through without getting booked was big. Upwards and onwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's probably worth mentioning that all season long people have been endlessly crapping on Vanney for playing Cooper instead of Edwards.

I think that’s a bit of a sweeping generalization. Edwards was on a good run of form at the beginning of the year, hard to debate that.

He eventually came back to earth and some selfish play in the Canadian Championship (or at least I think it was the championship) saw him rightfully benched. Seems to be a confidence player, which is not surprising for a young guy, and he doesn’t have any of it right now.

Think that’s probably the last we see of him this year, hopefully same with cooper. I’d rather bring on Cheyrou and take our chances with that.

On a separate note, while there was a lack of forward passes there was also a lack of forward passing options. We played pretty donut like and Rickets was rather ineffective in the centre. I think we should be looking at other options for backup strikers in the offseason, like a sturdy target man who maybe doesn’t score as often but at least holds the ball up well. Ricketts is obviously useful but for 90 minutes in a game like this he leaves a lot to be desired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the greatest result not the worst result either. In the end, if you can't beat CLB at home with a full strength squad, you don't deserve to be in the final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    On a separate note, while there was a lack of forward passes there was also a lack of forward passing options. We played pretty donut like and Rickets was rather ineffective in the centre.
    I agree. There were multiple moments when Bradley, Mavinga, Vasquez--hell, even Osorio and Morrow--broke free of their defenders with time to pick out a pass, but there was no one to pass to. This will be different with Giovinco and Altidore on Wednesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a difficult game to watch compared to the free-flowing play of the bulk of the season, and it's pretty obvious that our plan was to bunker and play for the draw from early on:

After the impromptu meeting between Bradley and Vanney in the first half, Oso was reigned in to play closer to Bradley in a defensive posture rather than his typical attack/ box to box position.
    With our formation, Cbus knew that all the attacks would flow through Vasquez, so once they shut him down Ricketts was pretty much irrelevant.

Credit to the 'stains for sticking to their game plan, and upping the ante with the high press when they realized that they could press the advantage. Credit to our defensive corps to hold them off in the last 5 min. Neither of those will be relevant in the next game.

I'm more concerned with Morrow's injury, as Edwards had a shocker of a game as a sub.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Artur could have got a second yellow had the ref caught that blatant dive. All in all it was well officiated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Edwards is also inexperienced and hasn't played in a while. He was probably too jacked up. Good reality check for him, we probably wont see him till next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think that’s a bit of a sweeping generalization. Edwards was on a good run of form at the beginning of the year, hard to debate that.

He eventually came back to earth and some selfish play in the Canadian Championship (or at least I think it was the championship) saw him rightfully benched. Seems to be a confidence player, which is not surprising for a young guy, and he doesn’t have any of it right now.

Think that’s probably the last we see of him this year, hopefully same with cooper. I’d rather bring on Cheyrou and take our chances with that.

On a separate note, while there was a lack of forward passes there was also a lack of forward passing options. We played pretty donut like and Rickets was rather ineffective in the centre. I think we should be looking at other options for backup strikers in the offseason, like a sturdy target man who maybe doesn’t score as often but at least holds the ball up well. Ricketts is obviously useful but for 90 minutes in a game like this he leaves a lot to be desired.
    Hamilton does this well enough some games. He drifts around until he goes unnoticed and gets open. really shocked hes not even on the bench

cpl for hamilton is 99% certain, but I can see another MLS team taking a crack at him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all those roasting Edwards, remember that he blocked the rebound shot after Bono made the point-blank save. He may have been a step behind many of the other points in the match, but you have to respect that key play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I agree. There were multiple moments when Bradley, Mavinga, Vasquez--hell, even Osorio and Morrow--broke free of their defenders with time to pick out a pass, but there was no one to pass to. This will be different with Giovinco and Altidore on Wednesday.

Osorio ran into dead ends often with no good outlet pass
    Bradley tried to stay calm in D, but again no outlet pass and ends up holding too long
    Mavinga trusted that his teammate was open, but a few times was actually in a clogged up passing lane.

These are not guys that cough up the ball like that on the regular.
    We really needed more off the ball movement there. perhaps guys were sticking to their position due to the diff formation too much

Vasquez Rickets and Delgado were often invisible or too slow to react to the next play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    For all those roasting Edwards, remember that he blocked the rebound shot after Bono made the point-blank save. He may have been a step behind many of the other points in the match, but you have to respect that key play.
    this is what i was thinking as everyone roasts him, he wasnt the greatest but that block changed the whole series

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would've been much happier with 1-1 as opposed to 0-0, but like others have said, int he end it comes down to us getting any win at home to go to the finals.....and I like our chances that way.

Bradley was immense save for the silly giveaway at the end that almost costed him a great game....Bono MoM for me.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on PAOK17

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    Our two best attacking players were out, and we got a draw. Like I was saying earlier, their absence won't have an affect on our defensive side, and that showed. We gave up 0 goals. But we couldn't attack because we left Rickets on his own island. Did you expect TFC to win 5-0 on the road in the playoffs, just because they did in May at home? Last year, we lost 3-2 away with our A team. This year we get a 0-0 draw and we're horrible? Based on your comments in these forums I would have thought TFC were the 12th ranked team going into the playoffs. Seriously, Columbus had not lost a game at home since early July. In their last home game they thumped 4 goals against NYCFC. I think we need to get some perspective.

These are the playoffs in a league that promotes parity. The NYCFC series last year was an anomaly. No one will rolls over for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looked like the wind really picked up in the second half, and it was in our faces (judging by the jerseys flapping). First half was calmer weather.

Columbus also pressed a lot harder in the second half, and forced the ball right back to Bono, who then had to punt into that wind.

I think we might have been good for a goal in the first half (especially that wasted shot by Ricketts, if he had've at least put it off the defender for a corner, or held and crossed) but for the second half I'm quite satisfied that they saw the game out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

win our home game by any score and we are through, can't ask for more than that considering the players missing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that scrambly moment after the big Bono save, if Edwards does not stop the ball with his balls, Crew perhaps score...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moor is quickly becoming a liability. That attempted clearance in 84th minute was truly shocking. He has had a few major screw ups recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Moor is quickly becoming a liability. That attempted clearance in 84th minute was truly shocking. He has had a few major screw ups recently.

yah, we never saw that last year.

but this is not an old man mistake, he doesnt seem focused

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    yah, we never saw that last year.

but this is not an old man mistake, he doesnt seem focused
    Love the guy but i think it's pretty clear that the decline is setting in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Gio and Jozy missing I think 0-0 was about the best we could of hoped for out of that game. Ricketts is good when he plays off someone or is running onto balls over the top, but he doesn't hold the ball up well enough or have the presence to play up front on his own. We were comfortable enough until the last 10 mins when the team tired and were hanging on. Bono had a couple of good saves to keep it a 0-0.

If we score first next week we should go on and win. If we concede first and give them an away goal, it's going to be really tough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if we don't get the first goal, this team has proven it can come back. TFC doesn't rattle easily. I have confidence Josy and Seba will be out to show their worth. My guess is we win by 2 goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really concerned after that result. This team hasn’t scored more than 1 goal from open play since Sep 30 and has only score more than 2 goals twice since the same date. We haven’t scored in 200 minutes of football. I hope this team comes out on fire and blows them away on Wednesday but I’m a bit worried about having score multiple goals to go through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    win our home game by any score and we are through, can't ask for more than that considering the players missing.
    if CBus scores 1 don't we have to score 2 to tie and 3 to win?

Isn't 2-1 for us considered a tie due to their away goal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post

No. If we go 2-1 we win. If we lost game 1 1-0, and game 2 was 2-1 for us, then we would lose...but any winning score we win and any draw aside from 0-0 we lose...0-0 goes to extra time and penalties then falls in to the need to win category.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post

Away goals is just the tie breaker mate. The only result that sends us through is a win by any margin. The only score line that will send us to extra time is 0-0. The away goals rule does not apply in extra time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx for the clarification

0-0 is a much better result than what i imagined

especially with the return of J&S

can't wait for Wednesday....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    Not the greatest result not the worst result either. In the end, if you can't beat CLB at home with a full strength squad, you don't deserve to be in the final.

This!! We will have all our guns back and I'm sure Jozy and Seba will be chomping at the bit. Hopefully we can score early and really get BMO swinging. On a side note I think that one was of the best officiated games I've seen this season. Hats off the Sibiga for nail just about every call.