Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of lessons for next season in that game.

The non-starter subs who started or came on showed why they are subs.

Edwards was really bad. He was jogging back after a foul & Vanney yelled at him to run as he was playing a WB position. He let players go out wide on him 4 times.

Ricketts did nothing of note - had one half chance. Didn't provide an outlet. Did the dirty work defensively but he has to play others in. Columbus has a bad backline -they were not threatened at all.

Hasler - worst game of his season in my opinion. Timid, poor touches.

Osorio was a little engine running back and forth but his touch was awful.

Bradley had a wonderful game, controlling their midfield. His touches were excellent.

Moor had one bonehead play and got away (as did Mavinga) with it but apart from that, they were solid.

Bono's distribution is poor but his command of the area was superb.

Delgado did his usual workmanlike job clogging up stuff.

Morrow & Beitashour didn't get wide enough for me but they held up the wide play well.

Vasquez was stopped - CBus held him cold (that won't be so easy with mobile forwards next week).

I consider this a loss. We have to win next week. And CBus is decent enough offensively. We are still favourites. And, playoffs at this stage should not be easy. We didn't want it enough tonight, and that's annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    A bit unfair that, he's covered miles tonight. Why were Cooer and Ewards brought on ? Injuries ? If not then Vanney made a huge mistake. Hasler and Morrow can defend, that's what we needed. To bring on two players who have no idea how to defend and to play them where he did was suicidal.
    Not sure about Hasler, but Morrow looked like he was struggling there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid choices but his team mates werent opening up or moving to open passing lanes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit unfair that, he's covered miles tonight. Why were Cooer and Ewards brought on ? Injuries ? If not then Vanney made a huge mistake. Hasler and Morrow can defend, that's what we needed. To bring on two players who have no idea how to defend and to play them where he did was suicidal.
    I agree with this. We needed composure and Cooper is the least composed player i can think of. Edwards should not have been brought in the team in that situation either.
    We are very lucky to come out of that with a draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last 20-25 minutes was bad from TFC.
    They have lost it, too many fucking giveaways, until then we played almost perfect on defense.

As I said in the break, almost zero on the offensive end.
    Ricketts is always good coming from the bench maximum 30 minutes a game, when he is a starter, 1 game from five he has a great game, get goals, and 4 games from 5 he is exasperatingly inefficient.
    This was one of those 4 games from 5.

Bad game from Hasler.
    I expected a lot more from Victor.

Bono great again.

One final remark:
    Since that beat up at home by Montreal our team was never ever the same again.
    The supporter shield was won with the performance up to that point.

The final against Seattle will be extremely difficult.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-21-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent result for the Reds, but we still have it all to do in the second leg. Very decent performance on the road, a few scary giveaways in the second half aside. I thought General Bradley lived up to his name with another masterclass from the Captain (again a couple of giveaways late in the game aside) He covered every blade of grass tonight and was the lynchpin of the positive result. And what can you say about Alex Bono? Absolutely world class save in the 85th minute to keep the clean sheet. The lad continues to grow into a top class keeper. The only downer I could see tonight was Osorio. Hesitant in possession and ended up giving away possession as a result. He failed to grab his chance tonight to force his way into Vanney plans imho. The tie isn’t over yet however. We have a lot of work to do at BMO to go through and we will need to be wary of the Crew snatching an away goal as we will have to push for the victory. I think a single goal could settle this tie and I just hope it’s TFC who score it. Of course Séba and Jozy should help in that regard...

Onward and Upwards!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Away goals don't mean anything as long as we win the home game.

Our defense stepped up and is giving is a shot.

We will win at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    Not sure about Hasler, but Morrow looked like he was struggling there.
    Even when he's struggling Morrow is a better bet defensively than Edwards. A very strange move by Vanney. In the end we were lucky to escape with a nil-nil. Their keeper didn't have a save to make. If he sat next to me on a bus tomorrow morning I wouldn't recognise him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Morrow definitely needed to get off the field. I'm not sure about the other subs. Edwards was often great when he came on earlier this year, but not tonight.

Yes Columbus had too many chances near the end, but Toronto also had a number of chances earlier.

Too much squeaky-bum time at the end, but we survived. Remember 0-0 next week only brings us to extra time & PKs. Any other tie score will see Columbus through on away goals.

I assume that away goals during overtime next week don't count extra?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that until the last game against NYCFC, Columbus was the hottest team going (before the playoffs most of us thought Atlanta and Clbs were the hot teams coming in)......on the road, short-handed up front - I don't consider a 0-0 draw as a "loss" by any stretch of the imagination - if you're Clbs, they had to feel that getting a lead in the series at home while we were short-handed was necessary.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else crap in their pants once the announced that Ganter was the VR referee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last few minutes were ugly. Oso proving why nobody considers him an attacking player. Hoped for a road goal but I'll take it considering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even when he's struggling Morrow is a better bet defensively than Edwards. A very strange move by Vanney. In the end we were lucky to escape with a nil-nil. Their keeper didn't have a save to make. If he sat next to me on a bus tomorrow morning I wouldn't recognise him.
    I agree, strange sub. But when Morrow was down with the trainer, it looked to me like Morrow indicated that he wanted to come off. Perhaps he thought that he was done and becoming a liability? It seemed to come into motion fairly quickly after that moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We didn't want it enough tonight, and that's annoying.
    I disagree.
    We were very much afraid of Columbus, because this is not anymore the team which won by miles the supporter shield.
    People need to wake up and realize that our team it's not the same any more since we lost at home to Montreal.

How long this loss of form will continue, I have no idea.

Oddsmakers had good reasons why TFC is just -111 favorite to advance to the finals against a team that finished 15 points behind them the regular season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    Anyone else crap in their pants once the announced that Ganter was the VR referee
    Or This ...

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards was really bad. He was jogging back after a foul & Vanney yelled at him to run as he was playing a WB position. He let players go out wide on him 4 times.

Ricketts did nothing of note - had one half chance. Didn't provide an outlet. Did the dirty work defensively but he has to play others in. Columbus has a bad backline -they were not threatened at all.

Bradley had a wonderful game, controlling their midfield. His touches were excellent.

Moor had one bonehead play and got away (as did Mavinga) with it but apart from that, they were solid.

Morrow & Beitashour didn't get wide enough for me but they held up the wide play well.

Vasquez was stopped - CBus held him cold (that won't be so easy with mobile forwards next week).

I consider this a loss. We have to win next week. And CBus is decent enough offensively. We are still favourites. And, playoffs at this stage should not be easy. We didn't want it enough tonight, and that's annoying.
    I’m not so sure on some of these. I thought hassler was good in the first half and actually drove the ball forward when in possession. Delgado was pretty bad by his normal standards, didn’t really offer the game anything. Osorio consistently provided outlets for passes and such at least.

Short of a win this is a good result. They won’t be able to handle our A team up front. We already had them stretched with a fast forward who has cinderblock for feet and wingbacks who tentatively (at best) joined the play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley was awesome until the last 5-10 minutes. Otherwise a pretty "meh" performance from both teams. 0-0 on the road is fine, though.

That was one of the better refereeing jobs I've seen in MLS. Kudos to the officials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Remember that until the last game against NYCFC, Columbus was the hottest team going (before the playoffs most of us thought Atlanta and Clbs were the hot teams coming in)......on the road, short-handed up front - I don't consider a 0-0 draw as a "loss" by any stretch of the imagination - if you're Clbs, they had to feel that getting a lead in the series at home while we were short-handed was necessary.....
    This!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an ok result. We need to score early next week though because the crowd will really start to get nervous if it's 0-0 for a while. The longer it goes 0-0- the worse it is for us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give credit to Columbus, they played us even or better. We never really once broke them down at the back, that surprised me.

Its their turn to be shorthanded on the road. Let's see how they do.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on.

All in all a good result given everything ... let's destroy them at BMO and get it overwith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy was this team gased in the last 10 minutes... So many terrible passes. We are lucky to escape with a draw.

Edwards was horrendous... He came in and was constantly missing his coverage. Oso... man he is just too timid and refuses to play forward.. he's got some skill but he doesn't provide the outlet pass or make any runs himself...

I'll take the 0-0 draw. But the guys need to step up. It'll be tough to get by CLB .. and even if we do based on our current form I can't see how we're going to break Seattle down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0-0 I’m okay with. The real tragedy was those ridiculous player head signs that our supporters had in the away section.

I remember seeing those waved around by the ATL supporters during the last game of the season and thinking, “man, I’m glad we don’t do shit like that.”

Ugh. I hope Customs seizes them at the border.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I think what happened at the end of the game was there were a lot of tired legs on players that lost the season rhythm of weekly games over that long stretch. I really hope they fix the playoff format going forward.

Still, I'll take the result. At home, it's just "win baby".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I disagree.
    We were very much afraid of Columbus, because this is not anymore the team which won by miles the supporter shield.
    People need to wake up and realize that our team it's not the same any more since we lost at home to Montreal.

Oddsmakers had good reasons why TFC is just -111 favorite to advance to the finals against a team that finished 15 points behind them the regular season.
    Our two best attacking players were out, and we got a draw. Like I was saying earlier, their absence won't have an affect on our defensive side, and that showed. We gave up 0 goals. But we couldn't attack because we left Rickets on his own island. Did you expect TFC to win 5-0 on the road in the playoffs, just because they did in May at home? Last year, we lost 3-2 away with our A team. This year we get a 0-0 draw and we're horrible? Based on your comments in these forums I would have thought TFC were the 12th ranked team going into the playoffs. Seriously, Columbus had not lost a game at home since early July. In their last home game they thumped 4 goals against NYCFC. I think we need to get some perspective.

These are the playoffs in a league that promotes parity. The NYCFC series last year was an anomaly. No one will rolls over for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a fine result. We need to come out and play at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy enough with that result. Their #savethecrew sell-out crowd couldn't take them to a goal or two. We get Alti and Gio back no suspensions from anyone else. Their record at home since July 1st has been stellar - away they are not the same team. We just have to keep calm and play our game. I don't think the Hasler and Beitashour experiment worked...that wasn't the place to see a new line-up. We'll have our strongest 11 in our favoured set-up for the next game. We should do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I disagree.

Sure we’ve been a bit off form recently, but I think you’re being overly negative with all this “were not the same team” stuff. In fact I thought we played an excellent first half tonight. All the stop start we’ve endured with International breaks and stuff hasn’t helped us get our fluency back. We still have it all to do, but this is very much the same side that won the SS we just need to get back to working together as a team. I’m really relieved Bradley didn’t pick up a yellow tonight as that would have been the last thing we needed at this point
    Last edited by General Woolfe; 11-22-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man o man did we ever bunker down the entire game. No urgency at all to get a goal. Ricketts was 1v5 when he attempted to attack. No build-up, no wing play, no through balls, no counter attacks....no shots....yes zero shots on goal. I thought bringing on Edwards and Cooper was to get offensive and catch the Crew off guard. WTF did they both do when they came on? They were a defensive liability with NO attack mindset. They were LOST...... Sorry for you Osorio thumpers, his touches were horrible.

All I can say is I hope Altidore and Gio realized how much they let the team down watching in winter jackets and come out guns a blazing next week to make up for the agony of tonight.

Bono once again man of the match!!
    Last edited by zorsofstesab; 11-21-2017 at 11:01 PM.