Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    someone on twitter mentioned it is Jozy's birthday on Monday. a nice round of happy birthday when it rolls over 27 minutes?
    Jozy is Jehovah’s Witness. They’re not too big on holidays or birthdays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RELIGION & POLITICS SHOULD NEVER be apart of TFC

we all bleed Red that is our religion------ & the LOVE for our club is our Politics

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    RELIGION & POLITICS SHOULD NEVER be apart of TFC

we all bleed Red that is our religion------ & the LOVE for our club is our Politics
    But you should respect a player's religious beliefs. So not singing "happy birthday" to Jozy is really important to know. That's the point of this discussion. Not to discuss who's views are better. That's not allowed even in the off topic section of this board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We sang for him in NY last year, he said he appreciated it - he says he was raised JW, not that he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    There is now a very real chance we could be seeing a severe thunderstorm w/lightning tomorrow afternoon.

brings back memories of that game against FC Dallas, and going back to BMO at 10am the next morning to see the match play out.
    Have you forgotten Vancouver? Cancelling the match, but only after they scored.... I prefer to remember the Weed man’s late strike for a draw when I remember Dallas in the rain.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 11-04-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red-o View Post
    We sang for him in NY last year, he said he appreciated it - he says he was raised JW, not that he is.
    We should be careful, tho. No?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on his tweet from last year.....

He retweeted about 8 birthday wishes so....I think we're good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Cheering when Altidore or Bradley get the ball, hell yes!
    Can't wait!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's great that Moor (and Vazquez) should be available, but Hagglund has to start it's not even a question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Based on his tweet from last year.....

He retweeted about 8 birthday wishes so....I think we're good to go.
    totally! 27 Th minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red-o View Post
    Well he does practice. Just read an article an NYRB fan heckled him for being a Jehovah's Witness

But Altidore says one opposition fan went too far, questioning his patriotism and religion."Coming off the field — with [teammates] Tosaint Ricketts and Raheem Edwards as my witness — there's a [fan] standing a foot away from me telling me I have no idea what it's like to represent this country, that I didn't die for this country and I don't deserve to be in this country because I don't put my hand on my heart and that I don't sing [the Star-Spangled Banner]," Altidore told the Toronto Sun.
    Raised as a Jehovah's Witness, Altidore abstains from saluting flags on religious grounds. Rather than put his hand on his heart, he stands with his hands behind his back during the anthem.
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2017/11/03/toronto-fc-complains-to-major-league-soccer-over-fan-abuse-of-jozy-altidore.html

Perhaps, he said he appreciated the Happy Birthday singing out of professionalism, and figured it was easier to just say it was nice rather than making a big deal about it, for fans not to do it.
    Last edited by rydermike; 11-04-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're right, I read "Raised as a Jehovah's Witness" differently. Will be happy to cheer for every touch regardless

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I'm expecting Vazquez to play. Drew Moore I'm not sure about, but I think that we can survive a match without him.

My biggest concern is that another player is going to be injured. I hope the ref for this game will call it closely. Does anyone know who that the official will be?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So, I'm expecting Vazquez to play. Drew Moore I'm not sure about, but I think that we can survive a match without him.

My biggest concern is that another player is going to be injured. I hope the ref for this game will call it closely. Does anyone know who that the official will be?
    Chris Penso

Not that it matters that much. Refs are a lot more lenient during playoffs
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Game Day!!!!!

If anyone is going to end our season,
    they’re going to have to do it
    on our field,
    in our weather,
    with our supporters, our fans,
    and the entire city of Toronto behind us.
    Time to buckle up for the playoff ride. Good to be back doing this again.

Worry, anger, joy, heartbreak, awe, hope, glory and a lot of fun.

I have fond memories of beating Philly midweek with a struggling game, taking 80+ minutes to break down NYC and then seeing two go in, and then, of course, that Montreal match, followed by that almost surreal Cup Final.

Here's to building other playoff memories, one game at a time.

Starts today.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-05-2017 at 07:41 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is now a risk of thunder and lightning, for the duration of the game. A game delay would be unfortunate.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^agree. Definitely a rain gear day for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have good memories of one rainy playoff night in particular. We win when it rains, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you take a look at TWN radar, you'll see a small but strong/severe storm cell currently near Chicago. Should be passing over Detroit around noon, then heading for the GTA around game time.

Oh man this is gonna be an interesting afternoon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have lost most of our rain games, so not true. For a strong team like ours it helps to have sunny weather.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    We have lost most of our rain games, so not true. For a strong team like ours it helps to have sunny weather.
    Agreed.
    Best situation for this team is the least unpredictable one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    If you take a look at TWN radar, you'll see a small but strong/severe storm cell currently near Chicago. Should be passing over Detroit around noon, then heading for the GTA around game time.

Oh man this is gonna be an interesting afternoon!
    Yeah, but apparently its slowed down. It will hit Detroit around 2, London around 3:50. Likely here at 6.

Soooo...no extra time or penalties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep looking at the clock... I think if it wasn't raining I would have left already.
    Not a sellout today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oranje boven View Post
    I keep looking at the clock... I think if it wasn't raining I would have left already.
    Not a sellout today?
    Likely not a full house. I hope we're wrong as I'd like us to show the other 1/2 empty playoff stadiums we're all in no matter the weather.
    Last edited by Eastend; 11-05-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Likely not a full house. I hope we're wrong as I'd like us to show the other 1/2 empty playoff stadiums we're all in no matter the weather.
    Unbelievable that in this city, the skydome sits empty, while we suffer the crappy conditions at BMO whenever the games count. I would scrap BMO for a fully reconditioned, soccer friendly, skydome. Getting drunk and standing in the rain, is fine, for teenagers, but I am sick of this blind support expected from older people who are the majority of ticket holders. You would think mlse would have learned something from last year, where our home field advantage was thrown out the window with the freezing conditions. Bet we would have won easily if the game was played indoors. Hope the crap weather affects new york as much as it will, for players like Seba, I see 0-0 as an fair prediction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Unbelievable that in this city, the skydome sits empty, while we suffer the crappy conditions at BMO whenever the games count. I would scrap BMO for a fully reconditioned, soccer friendly, skydome. Getting drunk and standing in the rain, is fine, for teenagers, but I am sick of this blind support expected from older people who are the majority of ticket holders. You would think mlse would have learned something from last year, where our home field advantage was thrown out the window with the freezing conditions. Bet we would have won easily if the game was played indoors. Hope the crap weather affects new york as much as it will, for players like Seba, I see 0-0 as an fair prediction
    I hear ya. I'm 48 so I feel the weather too but would not want this indoors on turf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prices on stubhub bottomed out big time WOW, some bargains to be had for those who couldn't get tickets

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    I hear ya. I'm 48 so I feel the weather too but would not want this indoors on turf.
    I understand real grass is being installed in the Rogers infield for baseball. If common sense prevailed, all TFC playoff games could have been played there. Sod systems around the world are being introduced to covered domes, and you would infer, that it would work even better, in a retractable stadium like ours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I understand real grass is being installed in the Rogers infield for baseball. If common sense prevailed, all TFC playoff games could have been played there. Sod systems around the world are being introduced to covered domes, and you would infer, that it would work even better, in a retractable stadium like ours.
    That's a big no. It's been a bit of a dream for a number of years. Management hasn't said it's off the table, but it's fallen way down the priority list. There's more talk of re configuring the interior to be a bit more baseball specific, give it more character, etc. Grass seems to be a distant reality.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eff SkyDome. This place was sold out. Will be full or near. People streaming in. Nobody complaining. Great atmosphere on the way.

Best 11 again. All we can ask for.