Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...?autoplay=true

Video by Gass who is from MLS soccer.

Fourth official dealt the red cards and I guess saw most of what happened. Hopefully fan videos caught the initial confrontation to get to the bottom of this.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Re Oso, he doesn't need to touch the ball to make it offside, he just has to be involved in the play. I think that was a 50/50 call.

Re Vazquez, you may be right. I always thought you need the ref to agree that you are free to kick. It's usually a glance on quick kicks. Maybe I am wrong and you are right. But if so, how did that not go to VAR?
    Apparently the ref apologized to Vanney about the call on the Vazquez goal, which absolutely blows my mind. VAR needs a lot a work.

The Osorio offside was frustrating because the ref appeared to suggest a foul, but I find it difficult to determine from the stands for certain. I will rarely criticize a lineman for an offside, especially when it is close, but that linesman in particular had a worse game than the ref, I think... Not sure why they didn't go to VAR for that one either. Play wasn't stopped before the goal was scored, so they should have taken a look at least...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Apparently the ref apologized to Vanney about the call on the Vazquez goal, which absolutely blows my mind. VAR needs a lot a work.

The Osorio offside was frustrating because the ref appeared to suggest a foul, but I find it difficult to determine from the stands for certain. I will rarely criticize a lineman for an offside, especially when it is close, but that linesman in particular had a worse game than the ref, I think... Not sure why they didn't go to VAR for that one either. Play wasn't stopped before the goal was scored, so they should have taken a look at least...
    This is what pisses me the most, Ref can make mistake,but to have VAR and do nothing about it is simply BS.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did the ref apologize or is that urban myth now? I find it hard to believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ONLY little bit of silver lining here is that should Jozy's red card hold up, he will definitely not play another game in the US this playoff....
    imo, the chirping from Leg 1 got to him HARD and carried all through the tie.

3-6-1 next game, plug the midfield, hope Vasquez can unlock the Crew's D and have Ricketts nip one on the counter.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Jozy knew the kind of game they were coming in to play. It's fun playing teams like that because it's so easy to get them going. He did that and put a target on his. In retrospect I think he was playing the game he had to because of Marsch's known dirty tactics. his red came from a locker room ambush, not from anything he did on the pitch.
    Think that’s a great point. They came to kick our players off the pitch and we just returned the favour. How much of an impact did Adams have after Giovinco cleaned him out? Not nearly as much.

One nights sleep and i’ll take this one. Moving to the next round is all that matters.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May be an urban myth, but I am struggling for a legitimate reason that the ref waived off the goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bottom line here is that we got through!!
    The Red Bulls came with tactics to play rough and it got to some of our guys. I've never seen Jozy lose his shit like that! The Ref was a total disgrace, should not be officiating at this level at all. To disallow 2 good goals was mind-boggling!

Missing Jozy & Gio in Columbus will be massive but I'm hoping we can nick an away goal to take back to BMO.

I watched the NYC vs Columbus game yesterday after our game and NYC were a post away from overturning that deficit, Columbus did not look good on defence at all, so hoping that goes in our favour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roots of a real rivalry took hold last night. Regardless of what happens this season, I cannot wait to welcome them back next year.

We will surely receive a warm reception on our next visit to RBA, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The offside was a bad call. I dont know why they didnt review it but even if they did I dont think there is enough evidence to overturn it assuming they use the same rules to as NFL/NHL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    May be an urban myth, but I am struggling for a legitimate reason that the ref waived off the goal.
    The referee can hold up the free kick for lots of reasons.

To me it's the having two of these weird calls in one game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Think that’s a great point. They came to kick our players off the pitch and we just returned the favour. How much of an impact did Adams have after Giovinco cleaned him out? Not nearly as much.

One nights sleep and i’ll take this one. Moving to the next round is all that matters.

Jozy played them perfectly. He cant help being ambushed in the tunnel. I have no problem with him fighting back when your attacked off the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

at what point of hte game was this? when giovinco cleaned him out? i was probably head down trying not to puke at that point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's play conspiracy theory!

- Penso's wife used to work for Red Bull.
    - Penso lives in Ohio - clearly a Columbus Piss-stains fan who would rather have his beloved Stains play the Red Bulls instead of TFC.

Watch out for the mind control rays!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...?autoplay=true

Video by Gass who is from MLS soccer.

Fourth official dealt the red cards and I guess saw most of what happened. Hopefully fan videos caught the initial confrontation to get to the bottom of this.
    Click bait video from mls soccer. Reporter doesn't witness initial altercation, just speculation. Waste of 5 mins.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    This is what pisses me the most, Ref can make mistake,but to have VAR and do nothing about it is simply BS.
    Me too. I was going completely nuts. How do we have VAR and it not be utilized. whats the point of it? Could have easily been used at least 3x this game.
    And then in other games it's used for the littlest of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Click bait video from mls soccer. Reporter doesn't witness initial altercation, just speculation. Waste of 5 mins.
    But he does verify the 4th official was in the tunnel and saw "most" of what happened. This is key for a MLS response. They can say they 4th official saw and dealt how he saw fit.

Also says that both teams were confused with the discipline and what was happening.

Hopefully more video comes out to see the initial confrontation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the whistle is blown before the ball goes into the net on a potential offside play then VAR will not be used. As in theory everyone lets up as the hear the whistle. So I haven't seen the highlights and maybe someone can point it the whistle was blown... If it wasn't then VAR should have been used.

But I think I read it here but some said there was a foul on the play and not the offside is why Oso's goal didn't count. Either way it was a terrible mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The goals called back were appalling. I don't think I've ever seen 2 legitimate goals called back against the same team in one game.

Thank goodness for Bono or the narrative would be far worse today for us as well as the league.
    The BIG question is WHY was video review not used especially on the first goal that was clearly on side?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at Vanney's post game interview at the very end (4:45 mark). Vanney says, "My understanding of the second goal where Victor hit it into the back of the net he didn't ask for 10 and was then apologized to for the ref for pulling it back. Again I don't understand."

In my 40 some odd years of watching football I've never heard of a ref apologizing...EVER.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Jozy played them perfectly. He cant help being ambushed in the tunnel. I have no problem with him fighting back when your attacked off the field.
    This.
    The more I think about it, sure Jozy flopped on the push, but 99% of the time you raise your hands like that in an altercation and there's an immediate red card to the mustache.
    The fact the referee just stood there and watched while this thing escalated from shouting and yelling into a dust up is a reflection on how poorly the referee handled the whole affair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    This.
    The more I think about it, sure Jozy flopped on the push, but 99% of the time you raise your hands like that in an altercation and there's an immediate red card to the mustache.
    The fact the referee just stood there and watched while this thing escalated from shouting and yelling into a dust up is a reflection on how poorly the referee handled the whole affair.
    yup, he drew the foul. thats a RED. doesnt matter. Jozy gets yellow for instigating.

Jozy sholdnt have fallen b/c hes a tank, but anyone else woudl fall over. Sacha had two hand fulls of jozy boobies in that shove.

the ref had no clue what he was doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    The BIG question is WHY was video review not used especially on the first goal that was clearly on side?
    Because it's not clearly onside. Call was offside.

The VAR is someone in an office or a truck setup outside the stadium on what is a 3-8 second delay from real time.
    VAR is there to overturn OVERWHELMINGLY obvious calls.
    As soon as the ball is put in play, you cant review.

Think about this... it's easy. Ball ends up in the net, called offside. Team puts the ball back in play. Assume all that takes 15 seconds from time ball gets in the net, to the time the ball leaves the keepers foot to re-enter the game.

In those 15 seconds, upwards of 8 seconds is gone simply due to tape delay. That leaves 7 seconds left in our scenario. In those 7 seconds, the VAR has to decide 1) is this on overwhelmingly obvious error, watch the replays several times to prove his own theory, then relay back to the field to conduct a video review. Could you do all that in 7 seconds?

It's a problem with how the VAR system is currently structured. If there's a goal - legit or otherwise - they would have to implement some type of mandatory grace period so VAR could accurately assess... which by nature conflicts with VAR's goals of not wanting to disrupt the flow of the game. Regardless... that procedure is not currently available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Because it's not clearly onside. Call was offside.

The VAR is someone in an office or a truck setup outside the stadium on what is a 3-8 second delay from real time.
    VAR is there to overturn OVERWHELMINGLY obvious calls.
    As soon as the ball is put in play, you cant review.

Based on the handball call against Moor in Atlanta, I'm not sure this is true...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez was just on the Jeff Blair show. The club is in the process of gather all of the footage and other relevant information to submit to the league for review of Cozy's sending off. The referee's match report sounds like a complete mess. Bet said its unclear in the match report if Altidore is given a second yellow or straight red. The card was issued base on "parts" of the incident seen by the 4th official. Apparently the ref apologized to both Vazquez and Bradley for getting the free kick no goal wrong. I hate this man never referees another big game in MLS again. He's not strong enough as an official.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another point which I haven't heard anyone bring up. If there's an altercation, both players can receive yellows for simply being involved. We saw that when both Sacha and Jozy were yellow carded.

Regardless of ambush and red card, both were involved in the hall, and both could technically be given yellow cards. That would give Jozy 2 yellows on the day, meaning a red and miss the next game.

It is likely a possibility that his red is reduced to yellow - which see's him miss the next game. That could be a beneficial angle to play from the disciplinary committee. You reduce, but still punish.

I think we need to move on, he's out, and this is a BIG lesson on conduct for all the players the next two CLB games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfan2011 View Post
    Based on the handball call against Moor in Atlanta, I'm not sure this is true...
    Yes it is. We just didn't "work the system". Bono should have kicked the ball out of play immediately. Full stop. Eliminate the threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the point of the ball in play rule? Let the game go on and then come back and review it or don't let the play continue until its checked. Anyone know how VAR is used in Italy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it comes down to how the incident started. If mustache chased down Altidore and wrapped his arms around him from behind just outside the TFC change room, Altidore is well with his rights to defend himself and push himself off and thus not even a yellow. I agree the likelyhood is that he will still be out. Just speaks to how badly Penso lost control and let this fester.