0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it does reflect team culture....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was exactly why I hate playing the RBs. Very little football played today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Job done! ...I guess

That's as poor as i've seen us all season, however it must be said some dreadful refereeing didnt help our cause. I don't know what worries me more right now. The drop off in our form in recent weeks, or the fact we're missing Altidore and Giovinco for the first game of the Conference Final. (Does Jozy miss one game or two for the red card?) It looks like it'll be Columbus who are in a hot streak of form right now so we face as difficult a task as I can imagine. However we are still alive and we've shown we have good depth to cope with situations like this (albeit losing two DPs makes it more difficult than normal.) Hopefully the International break will allow us to re-group and get back to playing at our best for going in the Conference Final.

Onward & upwards TFC!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    That Osorio "offside". The linesman put his flag up for offside, but that's not what the ref called. Pretty sure when it's offside, the ref puts his arm up vertical, he put his arm horizontal signaling free kick NY, didn't even look at the linesman
    My wife was yelling "it's a fix, it;s a fix."

You know, she may be right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone said in the other thread. Toledo has met his match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see the League defend the reffing in this one. Idk if the fix is in... but ref lost the plot and was out of his depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the team has an opportunity to protest any of the pending suspensions.
    Maybe video evidence (if there is any) shows Jozy Altidore wasn't at fault? Was the referee even there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    My wife was yelling "it's a fix, it;s a fix."

You know, she may be right.
    No. There are no fixes.

If MLS would want any team winning the Cup it's us. And while an all-NYC match up would be good, us vs. the Crew would still generate a lot of heat on both sides.

The refs in MLS are just bad. There are no fixes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    The refs in MLS are just bad. There are no fixes.
    But plenty of bias.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think fix but just typical MLS ref incompetence. Can't judge anything on that match because he ruined it.

Furthermore, I'd love to see what actually happens when they convene at the PRO HQ to go over the matches. "Great job Chris! Helluva match".

And why do we have VAR when it seems unused?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    That Osorio "offside". The linesman put his flag up for offside, but that's not what the ref called. when it's offside, the ref puts his arm up vertical for offside and keeps it up until its touched by a second player after kicked because its indirect FK. he put his arm horizontal signaling free kick NY, didn't even look at the linesman, and then was running back with his hands down signalling direct free kick.
    That's what confused me too. VAR is to challenge the ref's call, not whatever went on at the time. I didn't understand what Gio was booked for as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    If MLS would want any team winning the Cup it's us.
    I'm not suggesting a fix, but if the MLS had a preference, it would definitely not be us winning THIS YEAR. They would definitely prefer a US team to win since the US got eliminated from WC qualifying. A Canadian team winning the American league would just pile on to a terrible few months for American soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Does the team has an opportunity to protest any of the pending suspensions.
    Maybe video evidence (if there is any) shows Jozy Altidore wasn't at fault? Was the referee even there?
    Vanney said the NYRB players came to the TFC side of the tunnel so that one could get overturned but I doubt it as Altidore had a lot of questionable actions while he was on the pitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was horrible to watch in every possible aspect for a TFC fan.
    Also made huge disservice to people watching worldwide first time TFC like maybe future TFC fans (among others the game was on Eurosport 1).

Vanney's game plan? Utter shit!
    (Though I see many here say that this is the only way to play the Red Bulls. But then WTF, are you guys saying Red Bulls is a better team? Because almost always the weakest teams, the undersdogs can only play on the counter, and give up posession to the other team.

The club (TFC) should fine heavily (tens of thousands of $) the marquee players who comported like fucking idiots, amateurs, taking those yellow cards. Many big clubs use to do this in Europe,

Because of this we will be seriously depleted in Columbus.
    Now there all we can do is to defend and counter and hope in a draw.

Whith all the shit game plan and shit play this should have been 1-1, it was a 100% clean own goal cancelled by the ref.
    No fault whatsoever there by Osorio.

That ref is a criminal!
    The league wanted TFC out...
    Of course they do not want any Canadian team to win the MLS cup ever.

Lastly:
    This TFC team is not the TFC team which it was until that Montreal game at BMO.
    The only good enough game we played since was in Atlanta, but even that wasn't like a statement.

I hope the Toronto media will have some serious questions to Vanney and the players after this match.
    We have to play a lot better to have any hope for the Cup like in these 2 games with the Red Bulls!
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-05-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only happy person around here?

What odds what you have given four years ago that there'd be a day when we would win a two game tie to go into the conference final, and everyone in here would be morose about it.

This is MLS. Where Supporters Shield winners go to do in the playoffs, because marginal teams eke out marginal results exactly like this.

We are so frackin' awesome ... that even when we don't play well, and we lose ... we still win!
    Last edited by ensco; 11-05-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    That's what confused me too. VAR is to challenge the ref's call, not whatever went on at the time. I didn't understand what Gio was booked for as well...
    Yeah the Giovinco yellow I couldn't stand. I'm always against dissent towards the ref, but all it appeared Gio was yelling was he pushed me and gesturing which he does I notice to compensate for his English. I've never seen yellows when watching or playing for a player calling for a non-foul call if they were saying what happened unless he's swearing at the ref or calling him something rude, or he keeps harping on it for an extended period of time. Did not appear Gio was doing that, he yelled out about the push instantaneously; different than the Bradley yellow where he kept harping on it well after the fact and the ref told him to walk away twice (I knew after he kept going after the second warning he was going to get carded.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally disagree that counter attacking was a mistake, that's what won us the first leg, and no one wins away in New Jersey.

The problem is that NYRB had a plan to rough up our players. It nearly worked and got our players carded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

We are so frackin' awesome ... that even when we don't play well, and we lose ... we still win!
    The big problem here is that we almost never play good any more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like others have said DPs need to give their head a shake. The main people fighting arguing all game: Altidore, Vasquez, Bradley, Giovinco. Through 90, I do not recall Delgado doing anything stupid once, the other four, every single time something happened. I think the main issue is Bradley got rattled. He usually can keep everyone in line, but he was rattled, and you follow your leader I guess and no Bradley meant there was no one to keep them in line.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugly game. Awful ref. We were horrible. NYRB was horrible. Can't play like that against Columbus or NYCFC. But then again, those two teams are not as thuggish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why even give the ref the option though? How many times have we seen Gio do this after a call going against his way? And how many times has the ref overturned his decision? This childish hissy fit put us in a very bad spot heading into Columbus (unless Villa et all pull off a comeback of epic proportions). That being said, maybe we needed a change. Say what you will, but this is not the same team that was tearing the league apart mid summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Don't give him the option. Especially that ref in that game. The ref is not going to change his mind.

All in all, yes, the officiating was atrocious. But Altidore's actions were also unacceptable. In a situation like that, you unfortunately need to step up and be the bigger man. Yes PRO is a joke, but acting like that on the field and to the referee is not going to help yourself or your team. And look at the result, he gets a red when the Cup is on the line.
    Last edited by wopchop; 11-05-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam1001 View Post
    Say what you will, but this is not the same team that was tearing the league apart mid summer.
    This is what I'm saying!
    At least since we got our asses handed to us by Montreal at BMO, the team hit a prolonged eclipse of form.

Seriously, if we played all seasen like since, we would have been a marginal playoff team IMO.
    Supporter shield? Second place in East? No way in hell...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember, before the game the TSN said that Marsch said his game plan was to 'sow chaos' and not allow TFC to play their game. It worked almost to perfection. In addition to the inexplicable refereeing, TFC escaped a game where nothing went in their favour. Hopefully the next match against Columbus will be a less biased.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, leaving the game tonight I was very frustrated, but then I remembered one thing...we won. It was ugly, but we did what we needed to do to advance. There was atrocious refereeing and some not great choices by our players, but WE WON. The goal was to advance and we did. We will start off the series with (likely) Columbus at a disadvantage without Gio and Jozy, but we are deep and I believe that this team will do what they need to do to win. I believe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Am I the only happy person around here?

What odds what you have given four years ago that there'd be a day when we would win a two game tie to go into the conference final, and everyone in here would be morose about it.

This is MLS. Where Supporters Shield winners go to do in the playoffs, because marginal teams eke out marginal results exactly like this.

Yeah, I'd go with this perspective. The reality is, the officiating was far too loose in the first half, and if that wasn't the case, they wouldn't have had a shot on net. In the second, they get a goal from a lucky deflection but nothing more. We played half-field pressure up 2-1 with two away goals, which is the smart tactic.

The Giovinco yellow was absurd. I mean, the replay clearly shows a hand to the small of his back, and that's all it takes.

Altidore, I don't know. I think he's a bit of a dope. He's a nice guy, but I think he's about as smart as a can of paint. Tons of talent and strength, and he underwhelms. He should be a 20-goal guy in this league, and instead every other game we have to worry about something stupid like this. I don't want to get rid of him; he's too valuable by MLS standards and he and Giovinco love each other.

But Bez has some hard decisions coming up. Seba looks to have lost a step, or his thigh injury was worse than advertised. He's still a total threat from set pieces, but he hasn't had a goal from run of play in nearly three months. Altidore is the most expensive striker in the league but has probably peaked/plateau'd (hopefully the latter.)

I think they're both good for one more season, in all honesty, then tough decisions have to be made.

Also interested to see if Hamilton starts next week. He must have a real personality issue (didn't play in Portugal, lost his spot seemingly to spencer here) despite the fact that he seems to score just about whenever we play him. When we went without Seba and Jozy earlier in the season against LA, it didn't really matter, as Vasquez still pulled them apart, and Hamilton/Ricketts did the trick. I'd like to see them together next week.

Putting Vasquez up front is fine, but he's a playmaker now, not a striker, and we don't have a like-for-like replacement, due to his talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't blame Gio's Yellow too much that was the Ref so I don't really blame him.. Don't even really blame Bradley too much as the Ref was frustrating though Bradley needs to know when to walk away.

Jozy on the other hand... if we lose due to the Conference Final first leg... Jozy needs to go... he didn't need to be involved in anything that happened there. Jozy gave him self the yellow and the Red was I suspect planned. If Sacha went at Jozy in the hall that was intentional. So that occurred solely because of Jozy. It is disgusting and shameful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team officials indicating NYRB came at Jozy in the tunnel. Looking for tapes to send to the league.

After that game, I despise Marsch. Calculated thuggery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Totally disagree that counter attacking was a mistake, that's what won us the first leg, and no one wins away in New Jersey.

The problem is that NYRB had a plan to rough up our players. It nearly worked and got our players carded.
    You counter attack away from home, not at home, especially with a lead. It's inviting trouble, which we nearly got.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WTF did I just watch? Oh well, I sure hope Ricketts and Hamilton are up for it next match.

A shameful display by our DPs. And that ref made Toledo look like Collina.