Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney needs to lay down the law with respect to our players speaking to the ref. We need to shut up and play the game. I don't mind goading the other team into doing stupid things, a little bit of dirty shit when they're doing it to you, sure. But shut the fuck up when you get called or you don't get the call when it happens to you. Bradley needs to reign them in too. And himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is going to take some time to unpack everything that happened tonight. I have to say though, I am troubled by the lack of discipline, regardless of the cause. RB got all the way in their heads tonight. That is not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is what it is. CLB doesn't have the same level of twats on their team that I see this being an issue. In my view they've always had more class and I expect them to come out and play football as opposed to what we just witnessed from the RB.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    We need to remember that the Ref is the same one that Dempsey got suspended over because he tore up his ref book in protest to the poor officiating in last year's USOC match against Portland. This is twice now that Penso has shown he cannot handle big time games and needs to be relegated to a lower level of soccer.
    Interesting. Garbage refereeing and disgusting tactics by march and nyrb. Proud of this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't really see Jozy in the vid, so hard to know what he did, but it's very clear how many NY people were in that area, so if he claims Felipe grabbed him from behind that should be enough to exonerate him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    So to summarize:

-Red Bulls played like thugs and ambushed our players in front of our lockers
    -The ref allowed their thuggery and punished our players for protesting
    -He also denied us two perfectly valid goals and possibly a penalty

But we still found a way to come through tonight despite all adversity. This wasn't a normal game, the only thing that mattered was to make it through.
    Job done, I'm very proud of our boys.
    Exactly. Fuck nyrb. I'm still fuming from today. Prod of this god damn team and club

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I did see the flag go up for offside and two different angles which show Osario onside.

Just terrible.
    Makes you wonder what the hell is the point of VAR if it's not going to be used. I'm all for replay but for damn sake fuckin use it. Could have been used 3x tonight. Embarrasing for the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Yep. I agree.. although Seba getting a yellow was a marginal call, and who knows what went on under the stands.

I really thought Bradley should have been pulled away before he got the yellow at the end of first half.
    well now we know what went on under the stands - Nyrb trting to get to the TFC locker room..,

https://youtu.be/pB20naV11FM

Lets stop pissing on our own boys and get behind them. You don’t win the cup without some fire in the belly. Last night was fine except a very flukey deflection. Vanney got it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Job done! ...I guess

That's as poor as i've seen us all season, however it must be said some dreadful refereeing didnt help our cause. I don't know what worries me more right now. The drop off in our form in recent weeks, or the fact we're missing Altidore and Giovinco for the first game of the Conference Final. (Does Jozy miss one game or two for the red card?) It looks like it'll be Columbus who are in a hot streak of form right now so we face as difficult a task as I can imagine. However we are still alive and we've shown we have good depth to cope with situations like this (albeit losing two DPs makes it more difficult than normal.) Hopefully the International break will allow us to re-group and get back to playing at our best for going in the Conference Final.

Onward & upwards TFC!!!
    Columbus lost 2-0 and were hanging in by a thread. Hardly walking in with a pile of confidence. No need to panic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not usually buying into conspiracy theories, but the facts are at least 4 major calls went NYRB's way and could've changed the outcome of the series.
    Their penalty in NJ was questionable at best. I thought Giovinco's was way more clear last night.
    Then the two perfectly valid goals we scored.
    Let's assume the ref(s) made mistakes or are simply incompetent. But what about the VAR's? How come not even one of these calls was reviewed? The whole point of video review was to help in tight situations like this.
    To me all this looks like a concerted effort to knock TFC out - NY constant provoking inside and outside the field, hostile team of referees. They knew they can't beat us fairly...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They left the elbow on Altidore and the foul on Gio in the box out of the highlight pack.

Anyone have a second look?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    I'm not usually buying into conspiracy theories, but the facts are at least 4 major calls went NYRB's way and could've changed the outcome of the series.
    Their penalty in NJ was questionable at best. I thought Giovinco's was way more clear last night.
    Then the two perfectly valid goals we scored.
    Let's assume the ref(s) made mistakes or are simply incompetent. But what about the VAR's? How come not even one of these calls was reviewed? The whole point of video review was to help in tight situations like this.
    To me all this looks like a concerted effort to knock TFC out - NY constant provoking inside and outside the field, hostile team of referees. They knew they can't beat us fairly...
    This is exactly what I thought, I thought about it all night, a lot of stuff that happened in this two legs has been fishy and controversial. Add on to the fact that the "highlights" on mlssoccer seems pretty bias to me as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    They left the elbow on Altidore and the foul on Gio in the box out of the highlight pack.

Anyone have a second look?
    I was looking for the Gio foul in the highlight package too!
    They did show it on the stadium screen at halftime - NYRB player seemed to knee Giovinco into the left side of his body to bring him down.
    I think the foul on Giovinco in the box was a critical moment. It sent a message to both teams. NYRB were given the green light and TFC were given the red light.

I think some timeline investigation needs to be done on the tunnel fracas. We know ref Penso is giving Bradley a yellow card on the field. We know that Vanney is waiting and watching (and Drew Moor is trying to come between ref and Bradley) and therefore is as delayed getting to the tunnel as Penso and Bradley are. The Altidore swarm was therefore witnessed by ??? The lighting in that tunnel makes the video evidence awfully hard to make out.
    The fact that prior to the start of play Michael Bradley is having an on field conversation with Silviu Petrescu suggests to me that the cards from the tunnel were from activities witnessed by Petrescu. Otherwise we are talking about ejections based on hearsay?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The refs were not crooked, they were just plain old MLS bad.

Plus people are overdoing some of this - the Oso goal did look a touch offside (or at least it's a 50/50 call), and none of us know if Vazquez was free to quick hit that free kick when he did - he needs a sign from the ref before doing that.

The ref just wouldn't call obvious fouls, and our reputation for flopping and bitching isn't helping. (Jozy's late first half flop with Klejstan isn’t helpful if otherwise that red should be rescinded- but I still love the guy)

Let's move off the conspiracy theory, it's ludicrous and it makes us look foolish.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-06-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    We need to remember that the Ref is the same one that Dempsey got suspended over because he tore up his ref book in protest to the poor officiating in last year's USOC match against Portland. This is twice now that Penso has shown he cannot handle big time games and needs to be relegated to a lower level of soccer.
    I checked into reports of that game on The Guardian. They have the ref in the Dempsey tear up the book game as a Daniel Radford. I am willing to throw the book at Penso, his handling of yesterday's game was criminal. But he was not the Dempsey torn book ref...
    Last edited by Still Kicking; 11-06-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: sp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should see today if MLS puts out the old "looking into the events" headline on the tunnel issue. Given the prevalence of the video for all to see, I'm not sure how they can't at least give the impression they will look at it.
    Toronto is playing this perfectly at this moment, as opposed to the way that a**hat Simmons suggests they should be proceeding. Stay quiet, let the papers/internet take over, and see what MLS does.
    After viewing that video, if the referee is in fact in the tunnel, (and I would think he would have to be to give out cards on what happened) then how in the bloody blue blazes are Jozy and Mustache the only ones to get carded? Surely Jesse Marsch should have been watching from the stands the second half?

Just re-inforces the fact that the ref totally lost control of this one, and his ham fisted attempts to get it back have ruined not only this game, but possibly the next round too.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The refs were not crooked, they were just plain old MLS bad.

Plus people are overdoing some of this - the Oso goal did look a touch offside (or at least it's a 50/50 call), and none of us know if Vazquez was free to quick hit that free kick when he did - he needs a sign from the ref before doing that.

The ref just wouldn't call obvious fouls, and our reputation for flopping and bitching isn't helping. (Jozy's late first half flop with Klejstan isn’t helpful if otherwise that red should be rescinded- but I still love the guy)

Let's move off the conspiracy theory, it's ludicrous and it makes us look foolish.
    I agree with you REF was simply MLS level,however

That was OWN GOAL, Oso didn't touch that ball.

Vasquez doesn't need the sigh from the ref,unless he(Vasquez) asked for 10 yards,in that case you can't play before whistle,ref fucked it up and he knew that,main reason why Vasquez did not get yellow card for yelling at him.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugly game, but we are in the conference finals, two games away from another final appearance. Hard to complain about that.

MLS refs are just bad. Don't try to overanalyse it or try to think up some conspiracy. They just can't handle big games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I agree with you REF was simply MLS level,however

That was OWN GOAL, Oso didn't touch that ball.

Vasquez doesn't need the sigh from the ref,unless he(Vasquez) asked for 10 yards,in that case you can't play before whistle,ref fucked it up and he knew that,main reason why Vasquez did not get yellow card for yelling at him.
    Re Oso, he doesn't need to touch the ball to make it offside, he just has to be involved in the play. I think that was a 50/50 call.

Re Vazquez, you may be right. I always thought you need the ref to agree that you are free to kick. It's usually a glance on quick kicks. Maybe I am wrong and you are right. But if so, how did that not go to VAR?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    Ugly game, but we are in the conference finals, two games away from another final appearance. Hard to complain about that.

MLS refs are just bad. Don't try to overanalyse it or try to think up some conspiracy. They just can't handle big games.
    It's probably incompetence, but there is no question that a New York team in the playoffs would be good for ratings, so people will be suspicious.

Anyway, it's not in MLS's interest to have their biggest stars all out during a playoff game. Let's see if justice gets done.

I'm still very angry over NYRBs tactics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    there is no question that a New York team in the playoffs would be good for ratings
    I think that's not true.

MLS may well earn more in TV revenues from TSN with TFC in the eastern final, or TFC in the MLS Cup, than the increment that ESPN would get for NYRB in those games.

Our 1.4 million on TSN in the second leg vs Montreal last year was a Stanley Cup finals type number (we won't get that this time, obviously, but even a million is massive)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    If you want to keep your blood pressure in check, stay out of the match comments on the MLS website. A bunch of jerkoffs pinning everything on Altidore and Bradley - including a couple of people who profess to be TFC fans.
    It is fucking brutal, comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Re Oso, he doesn't need to touch the ball to make it offside, he just has to be involved in the play. I think that was a 50/50 call.

Re Vazquez, you may be right. I always thought you need the ref to agree that you are free to kick. It's usually a glance on quick kicks. Maybe I am wrong and you are right. But if so, how did that not go to VAR?
    Saw a replay of the own goal on SportsCentre not offside not even particularly close. Th eproblem here is that everyone knows VAR is available so not using it for these questionable calls just antagonizes an already volatile situation. I think yesterday was as close as I've seen the BMO crowd coming to getting properly out of hand, it was on a knife edge for a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am completely satisfied with Altidore and Bradley. They stood up for their team.

Seba's yellow, that was immature and did bother me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a crazy game.

Everyone knows Jesse Marsch likes CONCACAF tactics so it's a bit rich hearing the complaints from them. They got the game they asked for. Unfortunately we walked into it and weren't smart about dealing with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to know out of that whole tunnel thing how they decided Jozy and Klejstan were the ones to get reds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, in retrospect I think I would have preferred if Toledo has officiated this match. Everyone knows his reputation and I don't think the Red Bulls would have done half the crap they got away with last night.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC advances that's all that matters at this point. I still love JOZY I still love BRADLEY and I still love GIOVINCO.

No one knows exactly what happened in the tunnel, but what we do know that they stood up for themselves and the club and that they love being a part of Toronto. Better than having stars that don't give a F$%& like Defoe, Mista and others. We are a deep squad and MLS Cup is still ours to lose.

If Jozy did instigate the fight / do something stupid I completely forgive him, the man bleeds red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy knew the kind of game they were coming in to play. It's fun playing teams like that because it's so easy to get them going. He did that and put a target on his. In retrospect I think he was playing the game he had to because of Marsch's known dirty tactics. his red came from a locker room ambush, not from anything he did on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The goals called back were appalling. I don't think I've ever seen 2 legitimate goals called back against the same team in one game.

Thank goodness for Bono or the narrative would be far worse today for us as well as the league.