Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unsung star of the night in my books, particularly the first half, was Marky Delgado and his relentless tracking back and cleaning up. It seemed every time NYRB went forward, they were unable to count on midfield support. Once the TFC back line stopped the forward attacker, any loose ball or pass back was scooped up by Delgado and turned quickly into a Toronto attack.
    I think we underestimate the gains TFC have derived from having Bradley, Vazquez and Delgado (and Morrow and Beitashour) play together for eons this season. They know each other, cover for each other and trust each other. A well oiled machine....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Maybe I am just comparing what we were doing to what every other team in the league is doing and seeing better play.

I saw pass after pass by them get stopped by our midfield. Vasquez had space and with him and Altidore going out wide, this pinned back their two outside backs.

They spent the whole first half not being able to play their game.

I saw play after play in the first half move forward quickly, followed by a period where they controlled the midfield, then Marsch gave up the midfield for an attacker and we started moving forward again.

I saw NYRB go BACK to their keeper on a corner kick because they couldn't penetrate. NYRB NEVER goes back to the keeper EVER and rarely recycles back to the backline (maybe twice in a normal game), and they did that continuously throughout the game

They had possession but no penetration in the first half. They had penetration in the first half but we covered them quickly every time.

Was it perfect? Nope. But we by no means looked bad.
    Close to a perfect road result in a first leg playoff game though. Forcing them to move the ball back to the keeper on the corner was something else, I was almost as excited as a goal when it happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Close to a perfect road result in a first leg playoff game though. Forcing them to move the ball back to the keeper on the corner was something else, I was almost as excited as a goal when it happened.
    I almost choked on my beverage when I saw that. I can't recall the last time I have seen that if ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Bono, Zavaleta, Hagglund and Mavinga play together for the second half, I foresee TFC's future backline for the next 5 years. All three of them are pretty good, athletic, and young (23, 25, 25, 26). Combined with Edwards, Osorio, Delgado, Chapman and many others on the team being 25 or younger, my heart soars when I think of the future. I can't see TFC returning to those dark "worst team in the world" days under the current setup.

The prospects coming up behind through the academy are going to have to press hard and perform well to take the spots away from them. Which will only continue to make both first and second team stronger. I think next year TFCII will make the USL playoffs and TFCIII wins L1O as the talent starts to get backed up down the line, with those who don't perform being dropped out of the system as players from the academy below start pressing them for minutes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Cooper helping to kill off the game: I loved loved loved this play by Osorio. Just amazing:

Great game all around. Felipe should get supplemental discipline for the deliberate hip check to Victor's gonads, if you watch the replay from the right angle it was so obvious.

One little niggle I had: when we were at 1-1 and 2-1 (both amazing away results away to the Red Bulls), I thought the TFC defense sometimes pulled forward and apart a bit too much, leaving Bradley Wright-Phillips and others more space than necessary given the score at the time. Normally BWP puts away one or two of those chances. Although Hagglund is athletically better, I have to wonder if Moor would have organized the defense a bit better in those situations. Also a couple of times where NY players were allowed to take clear shots from just outside of the box, with Bradley and others only jogging lightly to contest the shots.

In the end they bent but didn't break, and that's what counts. On to Sunday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fantastic away performance, really solid defensively! We should of killed the game(and maybe the tie) in the 1st half with our chances but I'll take 2-1 and 2 road goals any day of the week. Hagglund did well coming in cold at the half after not playing for so long

I really hope Vazquez is fit because as good as Gio is, Vazquez is the guy that makes this team tick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gutsy effort last night. The boys were resilient after enduring some adversity. Loved the efforts from Hagglund and Osorio off the bench.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not all doom and gloom, it was a great result. I just think this tie could have been done. We were prepared and as i said our shape was outstanding. Ill give them that. And there wasnt a real lack of effort from anyone.

I just think our eyes were a little bigger than our head forcing some passes into counters. (counters NYRB could do little with)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC played almost a perfect 1st half until the PK. Got an away goal, they had lots of good chances to score while giving up almost no quality chances. NYRB came out strong for 15 minutes after halftime, but after that, I thought TFC took control of the match again. Overall, a 2-1 final score is a great result for TFC. Now any win, tie or 1-0 loss put them through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Watching Bono, Zavaleta, Hagglund and Mavinga play together for the second half, I foresee TFC's future backline for the next 5 years. All three of them are pretty good, athletic, and young (23, 25, 25, 26). Combined with Edwards, Osorio, Delgado, Chapman and many others on the team being 25 or younger, my heart soars when I think of the future. I can't see TFC returning to those dark "worst team in the world" days under the current setup.

The prospects coming up behind through the academy are going to have to press hard and perform well to take the spots away from them. Which will only continue to make both first and second team stronger. I think next year TFCII will make the USL playoffs and TFCIII wins L1O as the talent starts to get backed up down the line, with those who don't perform being dropped out of the system as players from the academy below start pressing them for minutes.
    I was thinking the exact same thing about the back line. Throw Hasler in there too if he wants to stay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking back to the multiple times I thought Bono, Zavaleta, Hagglund and Mavinga (not as much but initially for sure) were busts and should be cut loose. Took some time but to see these players succeeding during the regular season, and making a good start in the post season is very cool to see.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm making a bold prediction. Nick Hagglund is going to be a USMNT player. (Based upon what I see from him now, his potential, and current pool of USMNT defenders esp from MLS)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Maybe I am just comparing what we were doing to what every other team in the league is doing and seeing better play.

I saw pass after pass by them get stopped by our midfield. Vasquez had space and with him and Altidore going out wide, this pinned 6 their two outside backs.

They spent the whole first half not being able to play their game.

I saw play after play in the first half move forward quickly, followed by a period where they controlled the midfield, then Marsch gave up the midfield for an attacker and we started moving forward again.

I saw NYRB go BACK to their keeper on a corner kick because they couldn't penetrate. NYRB NEVER goes back to the keeper EVER and rarely recycles back to the backline (maybe twice in a normal game), and they did that continuously throughout the game

They had possession but no penetration in the first half. They had penetration in the first half but we covered them quickly every time.

Was it perfect? Nope. But we by no means looked bad.
    Exactly what I saw.
    Almost a perfect away game, (even more so for a playoff game) minus the soft penalty give away.
    Not sure what more people want. The energy drink team isn’t a bottom feeder team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Its not all doom and gloom, it was a great result. I just think this tie could have been done. We were prepared and as i said our shape was outstanding. Ill give them that. And there wasnt a real lack of effort from anyone.

I just think our eyes were a little bigger than our head forcing some passes into counters. (counters NYRB could do little with)
    How is there any doom and gloom? 3 points on the road vs a hungry and quality opponent! Sure it wasn't perfect but doom and gloom doesn't even enter the conversation imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That penalty is even more bs with the overturned call in the other game.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Speaking of Cooper helping to kill off the game: I loved loved loved this play by Osorio. Just amazing:

I was thinking the same thing as Jeff there. It wasn't pretty, but it sure was fun to watch. This team makes Oso better - he has to be better to get in the game.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    How is there any doom and gloom? 3 points on the road vs a hungry and quality opponent! Sure it wasn't perfect but doom and gloom doesn't even enter the conversation imo.
    Re: previous posts of mine.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 10-31-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    That's because we have such low expectations.
    lol
    Maybe offer Bradley & Jozy honorary Canadian citizenship. That'd shut up the boo boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Maybe offer Bradley & Jozy honorary Canadian citizenship. That'd shut up the boo boys
    Not just honorary, give 'em regular citizenship IF they want it.
    I am sure the amount of time they spent already permanently on Canadian soil is grounds for citizenship.

US citizens can have maximum 3 citizenships.
    In a lots of countries one can have just 2.