0 Thread(s)

A shame about the NYRB injuries... I'd rather see us beat a healthy squad

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Yes, that doesn't speak well for the play-offs either. I think there are few good reasons to keep the play-offs in place other than to look like the other major sports in North America. I think we should have the confidence to say that we're not like the other sports. We're part of a world-wide sport that doesn't need to make changes to look more like others. That's my opinion anyway.
    Then there's all these countries that uses playoffs of some form

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playof...ation_football
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The movement towards an FAcup/March Madness style playoff competition is gathering steam. The old guard who hate it based on not getting a home playoff date are not getting home playoff dates anyways so they are changing their tune. Here's hoping there will be an announcement in December.
    It's also done in the world cup knockout round.

I like this idea when they get to 28-32 teams. Then letting in 16 teams makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    A shame about the NYRB injuries... I'd rather see us beat a healthy squad
    who is injured?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    who is injured?

Kemar Lawrence and Felipe both went off injured I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing that has me worried is the fact that not too many Supporter Shield winners have not only not won the MLS Cup but have even not made the MLS Cup final, look at the Red Bulls getting knocked out in the first round I think after winning the Supporters Shield, or having a good season and getting knocked out in the first round like last season. This year after finishing 6th. and just making the playoffs they are coming in the playoffs with no high expectations and no pressure because of the season they had unlike other seasons when had such great regular seasons they were expected to more or less make it and win the MLS Cup, this season no one is expecting them to win in the playoffs so they have no pressure and look how they dismantled Chicago . TFC have all the pressure on them after such a great regular season and are expected to make the MLS Cup final and win it this year, I’m not having high hopes here for TFC because of all this pressure and I won’t be surprised if by the time they get to home for the second leg against the Red Bulls it might already being over because of an insurmountable lead the Red Bulls have going into the second leg in Toronto, I’ve seen it happen so many times over the years in the playoffs and won’t be surprised to it happening to TFC, the MLS is a crazy league and history has shown it really is expecially in the MLS playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    There are many issues with these knock out games, as most teams do not know if they are hosting and end up having a turn around time of selling tickets is like 2 days... Having a stadium that is not very public transit friendly is also an issue in Chicago.
    Actually, if they went to a one-and-done system with the play-in rounds, that actually may work well from a ticket sales standpoint. What about this schedule for 2018 (which would be the latest it could occur):
    * Nov 11 - Season Ends Sunday before November International Break
    * Nov 12 - Everyone starts selling playoff tickets.
    * Nov 21/22 - Play-in Round games are played on the Wednesday/Thursday immediately following the international break.
    * Nov 24/25 - Quarterfinal games with the bye-teams are played the Saturday/Sunday immediately following the international break
    * Dec 1/2 - Semifinal games are played the following weekend.
    * Dec 8 - The final is played the following Saturday.

The teams hosting the play-in round and those with a first round bye will know when the game will be, if not the opponent and will have 10 days to two weeks to sell tickets so we don't see attendance like what we saw at Chicago last night. The winners of the Quarters will know who will be hosting and have a week to sell tickets. Same with the final. My only worry is that it will be pretty cold if the Final is held anywhere in Canada, but by the time 2021 rolls around, the final will be held Dec 4th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Actually, if they went to a one-and-done system with the play-in rounds, that actually may work well from a ticket sales standpoint. What about this schedule for 2018 (which would be the latest it could occur):
    * Nov 11 - Season Ends Sunday before November International Break
    * Nov 12 - Everyone starts selling playoff tickets.
    * Nov 21/22 - Play-in Round games are played on the Wednesday/Thursday immediately following the international break.
    * Nov 24/25 - Quarterfinal games with the bye-teams are played the Saturday/Sunday immediately following the international break
    * Dec 1/2 - Semifinal games are played the following weekend.
    * Dec 8 - The final is played the following Saturday.

The teams hosting the play-in round and those with a first round bye will know when the game will be, if not the opponent and will have 10 days to two weeks to sell tickets so we don't see attendance like what we saw at Chicago last night. The winners of the Quarters will know who will be hosting and have a week to sell tickets. Same with the final. My only worry is that it will be pretty cold if the Final is held anywhere in Canada, but by the time 2021 rolls around, the final will be held Dec 4th.
    I think it's a very good idea personally, the only issue is that I doubt the MLS would go for it as the league is driven by gate revenue and eliminating 2 home games would be a no go...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think 12 teams should make the playoffs. It decreases the legitimacy of the first round
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    The only thing that has me worried is the fact that not too many Supporter Shield winners have not only not won the MLS Cup but have even not made the MLS Cup final, look at the Red Bulls getting knocked out in the first round I think after winning the Supporters Shield, or having a good season and getting knocked out in the first round like last season. This year after finishing 6th. and just making the playoffs they are coming in the playoffs with no high expectations and no pressure because of the season they had unlike other seasons when had such great regular seasons they were expected to more or less make it and win the MLS Cup, this season no one is expecting them to win in the playoffs so they have no pressure and look how they dismantled Chicago . TFC have all the pressure on them after such a great regular season and are expected to make the MLS Cup final and win it this year, I’m not having high hopes here for TFC because of all this pressure and I won’t be surprised if by the time they get to home for the second leg against the Red Bulls it might already being over because of an insurmountable lead the Red Bulls have going into the second leg in Toronto, I’ve seen it happen so many times over the years in the playoffs and won’t be surprised to it happening to TFC, the MLS is a crazy league and history has shown it really is expecially in the MLS playoffs.
    I've thought all those things as well. But we didn't come in first last year and we didn't win it either. Ultimately I don't think the placing matters. It's all about the quality of the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don’t think 12 teams should make the playoffs. It decreases the legitimacy of the first round
    They need to move towards a MLB style playoff format. The season drags on too long.

Atrocious blown offside call in the Atl-CLb game. Not only was it obvious, but the linesman was also clearly out of position when making the call. Unacceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

woww 2 blow offsides

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody know a YouTube stream?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta doing everything but scoring. Dare I say it could be one of them nights for Atlanta? Smash and grab for Columbus?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game this. CBus is more then holding their own. Atlanta can't finish but they also can't play defence.

Begs the question - can Tata Martino adjust?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Austi-, I mean Columbus, will steal this one late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polar opposite of last night's Chicago v RBNY game. Both goalkeepers having incredible games. Going to be a test of stamina in extra time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who were the blown offside calls against? I just tuned in for extra time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like quite unique singing in Atalanta in extra time. It also looks like they are all holding some sort of flashlight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Sounds like quite unique singing in Atalanta in extra time. It also looks like they are all holding some sort of flashlight?
    Cell phone lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s s great game to watch for all though, lots of incident. Plenty of excitement. Kudos to both teams for the spirit on show tonight. Superb advert for MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crew is play very very conservatively, giving up ample chances to get players forward on the transition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow what a play to save the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Can't believe he denied that ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta look more fatigued. Gressel can't even move and they're out of subs. Also - can't believe that ball was just cleared off the line! Final thought for this post: why is there 5000 less fans for the playoff game than the TFC game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Penalties! Come on Columbus!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta look more fatigued. Gressel can't even move and they're out of subs. Also - can't believe that ball was just cleared off the line! Final thought for this post: why is there 5000 less fans for the playoff game than the TFC game?
    Mid week 3 days to get people there. We didn't sell out BMO last year during Philly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because Atlanta had 3 days of selling tix. can't bash Atl fans for 67k coming out on 3 days notice
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less fans because have less time to sell tickets whereas regular season games you have so much more time to sell tickets, but still 67000 is still pretty amazing and great for the league , but then you have Chicago drawing friends and family.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether its in game or PKs to decide a winner, I can't watch penalties since last December. If I care at all about the game, I just can't watch it.

I watched Seba the other week and was kicking myself for doing it.