Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bono

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I don't think we should be talking about about someones mental health unless they bring it up. Only Greg and Alex know exactly what's going on and its Greg's choice to do what he wants. Maybe he is sensitive to Alex's plight and does not want to send him into an even more darker place by sitting him. Its up to them to figure out what's going on. Hopefully they do.
    Woah, nobody's talking mental health here, we're talking things like confidence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I don't think we should be talking about about someones mental health unless they bring it up. Only Greg and Alex know exactly what's going on and its Greg's choice to do what he wants. Maybe he is sensitive to Alex's plight and does not want to send him into an even more darker place by sitting him. Its up to them to figure out what's going on. Hopefully they do.
    Someone's mentality (confidence and whether he seems to be tuned into the game mentally not just physically present) and someone's mental health (clinical diagnosis) are two different things and Oldtimer is not saying anything about the latter at all.

I will say though that Bono hits himself a few times on each side of his head with his fist before the opening whistle each game and I think that is an odd behaviour but then again that might just be a superstitious thing. I have seen him do it after a goal that he let in at times as well which looked to me like he was punishing himself for the mistake. Again just the thought going through my head when I saw him do it. Maybe he does need a break for a bit away from the pressure. If they approach it right with him it shouldn't hurt his confidence and maybe even help him gain some back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono lost his confidence period. He was never fully assured in commanding the box and coming out to claim balls because his hands were always dodgy. Now you can see the wheels spinning when players are coming towards him. A GK can't be thinking "should I come out or should I stay on the line" whenever a chance comes up. It should all be instinctual and Bono doesn't have that going for him at all now. If anyone could use a stint on TFC2 to get that confidence back it would be Bono but since that's not happening hopefully the V-Cup matches can right his ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems as though he's never recovered from that bad goal in the CCL final.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It seems as though he's never recovered from that bad goal in the CCL final.
    100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not fully ready yet to jettison Bono but I agree he needs to ride the bench for a while. As it has been said in another post, the keeper position is the one position where older is better. Hopefully he can work through his issues but he has played himself out of the starter position in my opinion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I am not fully ready yet to jettison Bono but I agree he needs to ride the bench for a while. As it has been said in another post, the keeper position is the one position where older is better. Hopefully he can work through his issues but he has played himself out of the starter position in my opinion
    Fully agree with this post, save I would add to the part in bold that, to a lesser extent, centre-backs also benefit from age; obviously, you'd ideally pair him/her with a younger CB, mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status...07910030503942

This video shows what one of Bono's main problems is; his hands are terrible. Out of the 3 in this practice vid, he is the only one to bobble it bad enough that it could easily lead to a goal against. Starting to think the awfulness of his hands are what's keeping him from charging down crosses and is leading to his indecision on the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

This video shows what one of Bono's main problems is; his hands are terrible. Out of the 3 in this practice vid, he is the only one to bobble it bad enough that it could easily lead to a goal against. Starting to think the awfulness of his hands are what's keeping him from charging down crosses and is leading to his indecision on the line.
    in fairness though Bono's shot was the only one of the 3 above the keepers head line. The others had the shot at their face or chest so a bit of a different look for each.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    in fairness though Bono's shot was the only one of the 3 above the keepers head line. The others had the shot at their face or chest so a bit of a different look for each.
    But it's something he has struggled with since we drafted him. Improved for a while but now back to very dodgy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    No reason to ditch Bono, just time to give Westberg a start. The first look of Westberg was promising. Let's see what he can do.
    Riding the pine might be the best thing for Bono at this point, and maybe he's a better backup than a #1.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

As much as I'm dissapointed in Bono lately and want him to sit out a bit, this is a training video and shouldnt hold any weight whatsoever. They probably did 300 attempts of that drill and the video catches one. Who knows how tired they are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    As much as I'm dissapointed in Bono lately and want him to sit out a bit, this is a training video and shouldnt hold any weight whatsoever. They probably did 300 attempts of that drill and the video catches one. Who knows how tired they are.
    This is true but it doesn't excuse the fact that he has bad hands and shows it in pretty much every match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was firmly in the give him a chance camp but you can't give away a goal a game the way he's been doing. I agree with Ultra too, he bobbles a lot. He's a decent enough shot blocker but, again, you can't give away a goal every game, and his distribution is poor. Time to change it up.