Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 183
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Columbus Crew to Austin unless new stadium deal is reach


  2. #2
    RPB 2019 Banners/Membership Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    1,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But what will happen to the Trillium Cup? :-)

    Three teams in Texas?
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

  3. #3
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They are gone. Precourt is on the expansion committee. He knows he can't compete with a team in Cincinatti.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can't get too upset about this one. Horrible town, bad fans, bad stadium, bad prospects going forward.

    Pull the plug.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I can't get too upset about this one. Horrible town, bad fans, bad stadium, bad prospects going forward.

    Pull the plug.
    but i love hating them. i would prefer the situation fixed. ownership isnt exactly top notch

  6. #6
    RPB 2019 Banners/Membership Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    1,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I can't get too upset about this one. Horrible town, bad fans, bad stadium, bad prospects going forward.

    Pull the plug.
    Good beer at the stadium?
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it's appalling personally. Everything that's wrong with North American sports and franchises.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hope the Revs and their shitty stadium and owner are next.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    I hope the Revs and their shitty stadium and owner are next.
    this x 1000

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think it's appalling personally. Everything that's wrong with North American sports and franchises.

    These aren't 120 year old community born clubs though. They're a product of their environment and even though it's not my money, i'd be even more appalled if they try to hit up taxpayers for a new stadium.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    They are gone. Precourt is on the expansion committee. He knows he can't compete with a team in Cincinatti.
    But having the rivalry with Cincinatti seems like it could be something to get them going again. Especially if they can get a new downtown stadium.

    Columbus needs a better 'rival' than us, who don't give a shit about said rivalry at all.

  12. #12
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    but i love hating them. i would prefer the situation fixed. ownership isnt exactly top notch
    Agreed. The game against them is always a good one. Plus, 3 teams in Texas is stupid.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If they do move to Austin, what does that do to the bid in San Antonio? Would MLS allow 4 teams in Texas?

  14. #14
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    at the end of the longest line.
    Posts
    7,996
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Austin Villa is genius.

    bye bye Krew.

    they must have the data showing that Cincinnati will devour their market.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    this x 1000
    this / .001

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    These aren't 120 year old community born clubs though. They're a product of their environment and even though it's not my money, i'd be even more appalled if they try to hit up taxpayers for a new stadium.
    Agreed on the money for a stadium (although TFC has a major bucks owner and benefited from public contribution to the stadium). But I don't think a team leaving should be celebrated. Maybe not 120 but they're 20 years there. Sad.

  17. #17
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    behind the sushi bar in montreal
    Posts
    1,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Agreed on the money for a stadium (although TFC has a major bucks owner and benefited from public contribution to the stadium). But I don't think a team leaving should be celebrated. Maybe not 120 but they're 20 years there. Sad.
    you wouldn't celebrate if the argos went belly up? not even a smirk?

    owners are always threatening to relocate these days when their city won't chip in tax dollars for a new stadium
    06-18-09 i was there

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,572
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don’t believe this downtown stadium malarkey for a minute.

    The issue is that the Crew, notwithstanding the USMNT thing they have going on there, have never caught on.

    Atlanta has changed everything, the way we did 10 years ago.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokedPanda View Post
    you wouldn't celebrate if the argos went belly up? not even a smirk?

    owners are always threatening to relocate these days when their city won't chip in tax dollars for a new stadium
    i dont want the argos or the CFL to disappear, I just want the Argos out of BMO

  20. #20
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ..

    Atlanta has changed everything, the way we did 10 years ago.

    This.

    Which is why Cincy & Nashville & Sacramento are all getting teams announced in December (I think)

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would probably never watch MLS again if TFC were moved. I feel nothing for Columbus usually, but this is a huge slap in the face to their fans.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is just another example of a rich dude trying to get the public to pay for his stadium. When he doesn't get his way, he threatens to leave.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Agreed. The game against them is always a good one. Plus, 3 teams in Texas is stupid.

    Austin, Dallas, and Houston are hours apart. Only Austin and San Antonio are close proximity.

  24. #24
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This.

    Which is why Cincy & Nashville & Sacramento are all getting teams announced in December (I think)
    And Miami (Beckham United)

  25. #25
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelight05 View Post
    Austin, Dallas, and Houston are hours apart. Only Austin and San Antonio are close proximity.
    I still think it's crazy to have 3 teams in one state when there are only 3 teams in the other country that the league is played in

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    I still think it's crazy to have 3 teams in one state when there are only 3 teams in the other country that the league is played in
    I understand your point but Texas is almost as big as Canada and one of the faster growing states. I used to work in Austin and it is growing like crazy.

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,572
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Austin is an interesting choice. Kind of like Columbus (a big college football town) except it's growing, and provides good natural rivalries.

    Moving Columbus, regardless of where they go, makes complete sense to any neutral.

    But it's tough on Columbus.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  28. #28
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelight05 View Post
    I understand your point but Texas is almost as big as Canada and one of the faster growing states. I used to work in Austin and it is growing like crazy.
    As a business decision it makes sense to ignore Canada in favour of Austin but i think MLS needs to grow the game more in Canada. They released a statement after the USA got knocked out of the World Cup Qualifiers but didn't even mention Canada's failures

  29. #29
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelight05 View Post
    Austin, Dallas, and Houston are hours apart. Only Austin and San Antonio are close proximity.
    Therein lies a BIG problem for MLS. The San Antonio bid was money from the NBA team backers. Austin has had issues supporting any team in the past, apart from Texas University sports, while San Antonio has shown they can do more.

    This is beginning to look like Precourt wanted out, found a place that will pay him more, and ran with it.


    Think about it this way - CBus plays in the shadow of Ohio State Football. An Austin team is going to play in the shadow of Texas U Football.

  30. #30
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Section 220
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think the owner is just bluffing, it takes a lot of resources to move a team, it's a huge risk for them. If nobody cares what he's saying, he'll just go back to counting money and leave the Crew as it is.
    Away support - 13' MTL DC KC CLB NE - 14' KC MTL-v-cup MTL PHI NYRB - 15' CLB CHI MTL-v-cup NE NE MTL MTL-PO - 16' NYRB MTL PHI MTL NYC-PO MTL-PO - 17' PHI OTT-v-cup NER CHI MTL

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •