Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    not worried about the tv money ,the US along with Canada and Mex are getting the 2026 WC.48 games that will be huge money.
    Maybe Mexico should get 60 games in the 2026 WC; US & Canada only 10 each... LOL.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-11-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Cooper to the World Cup.
    time to sell him and make some bucks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    From a TFC perspective my concern is whether Bradley and Altidore can shrug this off, or more likely how quickly they can. This is probably a career-defining loss for both of them, I don't know if their heads will be in the right place vs. Montreal. I guess we'll see.

As for long term MLS implications, I'm not sure. I think the league will be mostly fine. Growth will almost certainly slow down or stagnate but I kind of doubt you'll see ratings plummet or shit really hit the fan. MLS fans, especially in the U.S., are generally speaking the hardcore slice of soccer fans. They'll stick around.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any downturn in soccer interest in US will be revived by WC 2026, so long-term prospects aren't that big a concern. I am concerned about the immediate economic impact of this. Fox Sports (and other broadcasters) is getting absolutely rinsed in this situation, as advertisers scale back their buys, etc. Remains to see what the knock-on affects will be in terms of future rights bids, etc. Could affect SUM and we all know how that sweet SUM money is the special sauce that make MLS owner-investors happy.

I am skeptical of the redemptive value of not qualifying. Not sure there is enough political pressure to displace Sunil Gulati from USSF, and he sure as hell isn't going to step down from his FIFA perch. If nothing changes at USSF, nothing changes in the structure.

Worst thing probably is that everyone is going to have to hear US fans complain about this constantly for four years, or more.

edit: all the SUM money related to the Mexico MNT rights in the US certainly won't be affected by this, so the overall impact on SUM might be limited.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 10-10-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrified we dont see Bradley and Jozy at their peak.

Just gutting for them.

Also Fuck Honduras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Bradley and Altidore might be pretty happy to be hiding out in Canada for the next while! The Yanks will pretty bitter when they see Bradley holding up the MLS Cup for a foreign team...that is for sure.

Will see what kind of effect this has on them...my guess will be that it will be to try and show their individual integrity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The soccer haters in America are going to be in glee over this.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like we lost tonight. Im not an american, but wow this hurts. Watching the interviews with Jozy and Michael you can see the pain in their eyes.

TFC bet it all on them. Now, people will blame MLS. No matter what they do for the rest of their careers, they will forever be a punchline in US soccer conversations.

Hope they know we love them, as sappy as that sounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this in another thread, only to see this thread later:
    ---------------------------

Guys, the USMNT's "performance" is horrible news for the development of the league (MLS)...
    The level of interest of the average people and more importantly of those in strong financial position (companies) to invest in anything related to MLS just has taken a huge shot in the nuts.

In fact this has set back the MLS with at least 4 years... but IMHO maybe with 6 years..
    Be prepared that nobody else than a couple of tens of thousands of MLS die hard followers outside the 2 finalist team's fanbase will be watching on TV the MLS Cup final.
    ------------------------------

As many said here, I'm very worried that from now until December we won't see Jozy and the General in their peak form because of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All three (unlikely) results in group they needed to happen for this shocking finish to the qualifying campaign did happen. Amazing. As a neutral, great fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Iceland is the size of Corpus Christi, TX”
    https://twitter.com/benmurphytv/stat...39358849753095

Also check out the winning “goal” by Panama. This is unreal
    https://twitter.com/stevensandor/sta...32973810262016
    Last edited by ensco; 10-11-2017 at 05:43 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only 4 US players stayed around to speak to reporters: Gonzalez, Howard, Bradley & Altidore

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not surprised that USA is out and I don't feel sorry for of them.

Last WCQ cycle Mexico barely made it,this time US failed with ZERO Away wins in the Hex and only 1 away win during this whole cycle. I'm sorry but if you can't win one single away game in CONCACAF you don't deserve to go,and on top of that Tournament like CONCACRAP WCQ is setup the way that USA and Mexico qualify every time.
    USMNT players are not good enough,only few play in Europe,core is from MLS,that tells me enough about strength of this USMNT.

I'm sure now Klinsman opened a nice bottle of wine after game was finished, he was trying to explain stubborn Americans that MLS is subzero league comparing to most of European leagues,and if you want to compete with the best,you need your players over there,it seems tome he was right.
    Now change will come,CONCACRAP will change WCQ format,and USA will be back on track for 2022.

This actually good news for TFC, we won't miss any players for WC2018,full squad ,less chance for injuries,good chance to win supporters shield again,CCL is coming our way.

As far MLS goes,this will not have major impact on MLS. People following MLS are hard core soccer fans anyway.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hate to say this but I don’t think it'll be easy for Bradley and Altidore to produce elite performances for TFC in the playoffs this year. They are pros, I know, but this is the kind of thing you never live down. It's an absolutely epic fail. Trinidad are terrible.

Neither of them are likely to start or even maybe make the 2022 team.
    On the contrary, maybe getting the love from their club team will make all the difference.

Perhaps they’ll retire from international soccer entirely only to viewed as communists by USMNT fans 😂

Edit: my gut feeling says the development of domestic talent is about to get a lot of attention.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-11-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    USMNT players are not good enough,only few play in Europe,core is from MLS,that tells me enough about strength of this USMNT.

I'm sure now Klinsman opened a nice bottle of wine after game was finished, he was trying to explain stubborn Americans that MLS is subzero league comparing to most of European leagues,and if you want to compete with the best,you need your players over there,it seems tome he was right.
    And yet the other teams who did qualify also fielded a large number of MLS players.

i’d say if he continued JK was on a path to do nearly as much for the USMNT as he did for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley specifically is getting crucified on a lot of the message boards. I think that a lot of people who blame Bradley and Altidore for the result need to look at how they're members of one of the best MLS teams of all time. Just maybe it's not the players fault, but the Coach and his system that are to blame?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah maybe it's not great for the MLS in general but as a Canadian it's hard to feel sorry for them. Teams don't make World Cups, hell even the winners aren't guaranteed anymore, it happens. Seven in a row is stuff the majority of countries can only dream of. In my opinion that USMNT starting eleven yesterday doesn't have the quality that justifies the expectation to walk into a World Cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Also check out the winning “goal” by Panama. This is unreal
    https://twitter.com/stevensandor/sta...32973810262016
    It wasn't a goal, but should have been a PK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not surprised that USA is out and I don't feel sorry for of them.

Last WCQ cycle Mexico barely made it,this time US failed with ZERO Away wins in the Hex and only 1 away win during this whole cycle. I'm sorry but if you can't win one single away game in CONCACAF you don't deserve to go,and on top of that Tournament like CONCACRAP WCQ is setup the way that USA and Mexico qualify every time.

Now change will come,CONCACRAP will change WCQ format,and USA will be back on track for 2022.

This actually good news for TFC, we won't miss any players for WC2018,full squad ,less chance for injuries,good chance to win supporters shield again,CCL is coming our way.

As far MLS goes,this will not have major impact on MLS. People following MLS are hard core soccer fans anyway.
    and while I agree in theory with the bolded, this was not the issue in this case.

goals which knocked the US out from the other results were, ironically, scored by MLS players.

the issue here is/was not the US being unable to "compete with the best".....it was being unable to compete with the others in CONCACAF....that's a big problem, and I think that's where the anger should be at, not as a way of validating Klinsmann.

US players shouldn't have needed to play in Euro leagues to qualify out of this.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Only 4 US players stayed around to speak to reporters: Gonzalez, Howard, Bradley & Altidore
    That possibly says a lot about the constitution of the team and their commitment.

Glad two of the four play for us. Good on Omar too. He's going to own that own goal forever.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    And yet the other teams who did qualify also fielded a large number of MLS players.

i’d say if he continued JK was on a path to do nearly as much for the USMNT as he did for TFC.
    Only Costa Rica has so called large number of MLS players, 8 to be exact, rest of them 2 Mexico,4 Honduras and panama,US has 17.

I'm not saying firing JK was wrong move,all I'm saying is MLS is not good enough for developing player for world class competitions,and while USA has large number of young players playing in Europe,they decide to go back with USMNT/MLS recipe from 1994-2010 and failed,because game changed in last 20 years and seems tome they did not get that memo.

My only concern with this USMNT epic fail is that they will offer Vanney coaching job,I know I would if I was in USSF.
    Last edited by denime; 10-11-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only Costa Rica has so called large number of MLS players, 8 to be exact, rest of them 2 Mexico,4 Honduras and panama,US has 17.

I'm not saying firing JK was wrong move,all I'm saying is MLS is not good enough for developing player for world class competitions,and while USA has large number of young players playing in Europe,they decide to go back with USMNT/MLS recipe from 1994-2010 and failed,because game changed in last 20 years and seems tome they did not get that memo.

My only concern with this USMNT epic fail is that they will offer Vanney coaching job,I know I would if I was in USSF.
    same here.....but I've only seen 1 article on ESPN writing about "what's next".....Tata Martino and Peter Vermes were the specific names mentioned in there.....nothing about Vanney....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure now Klinsman opened a nice bottle of wine after game was finished, he was trying to explain stubborn Americans that MLS is subzero league comparing to most of European leagues.....
    Most of Europe?

Um, no.

That and a whole whack of teams making it to the WC are not filled with top league European based players

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Nothing against you sir but if you want a strong and growing MLS this could be devastating for the popularity of the game in North America, if you like the fact that you see many MLS stadiums pretty full and the league growing then you need the US and eventually Canada in World Cups , it’s going to be an interesting next 4 years let’s hope this does not set soccers popularity back 30 years in North America.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Oh I’ve heard of him but let’s see where he is at at 19.
    Buck up, son.

So negative.

While I agree a poor outing for a US squad lead by MLSers is a kick in the yanks, Euro/SA snobs can point to the improvement in MLS being all about goal scoring strikers from abroad. Haters gonna hate no matter what.

30 years? Are you getting the vapours? My dear. We have a few more teams in this league if you didn't notice and I'm pretty confident TFC or a Canadian team winning MLS won't ruin it for everyone.

And really bud- shitting on a present accolade to look to future let downs in Canadian football is unnecessary. We get enough disappointment as it is.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is on Arena and US Soccer.

I'm happy that this happened in 2017 not 2009. It could have been a death blow for MLS. I think today it stands a bit on it's own.

I suspect though it is going to hurt Attendance next year. MLS is going to be blamed I'm sure. Eurosnobs will say this is what happens when US nationals are brought to MLS as DPs instead of leaving them in Europe. (And one would be hard pressed to argue that isn't possible. Not enough data in my mind to say for sure)

This was basically a worse case for the US.

Bradley and Altidore will either be dejected or pissed of to the point of playing like animals for the rest of the season. I'm hoping for the later but expecting the former.

On the plus side Iceland Qualified.
    Last edited by Kaz; 10-11-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iceland isn't the right comparable (I have read all about that, but I still really don’t have any idea how Iceland are doing this!)

The US thought the fact that they beat Portugal in 2002 meant something. But in the end it was just a big upset, in a tournament especially full of upsets. That's when the problem started. They started thinking they were close.

The US probably shouldn't have been at seven straight WCs, when places like Poland, Turkey and Egypt have trouble making it, and Scotland, Hungary or China can't even get close.

The Concacaf path has always been a lower bar, and the USA has been the beneficiary. But a low bar means others can jump it too.

98% of elite US athletes play other sports. Until that underlying reality changes, nothing else will change.

Same for Canada, btw.

(The USMNT should have had LeBron James as their GK, just as an example. Imagine him spending a year learning that position, a la Jordan playing baseball. I am not kidding.)
    Last edited by ensco; 10-11-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not all bad, they still have the World Series, right?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never, ever seen a solid coach like Arena go completely fucking insane with his tactics. When I started watching it was basically a 4-1-nothing. every player outside of Bradley had no actual tactical instructions.

I'm also deeply worried Vanney takes the next USMT coaching post. Arena won't like 3 weeks After this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I've never, ever seen a solid coach like Arena go completely fucking insane with his tactics. When I started watching it was basically a 4-1-nothing. every player outside of Bradley had no actual tactical instructions.

I'm also deeply worried Vanney takes the next USMT coaching post. Arena won't like 3 weeks After this.
    I have to admit that I was happy BA got the job after JK but his last days at LAG should have been a cautionary note. Some said so, and that a panic signing wouldn't work. They were right.