Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default USA eliminated from the World Cup

Shocking result. Thought it deserved its own thread (mods feel free to disagree).

Positive for TFC: Bradley/Altidore don't miss games next summer.

On the other hand this has to be crushing, no idea how this will affect their play when they come back.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. This will rock the league. Russia would've loved a matchup with the US. FIFA will miss some viewers as well.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is genuinely incredible, I really can't believe it. They had qualification so nearly wrapped up, and everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. Wow.

Prepare for tons and tons of Bradley/Altidore hating. Hell, maybe it's partly deserved, I don't watch their games that closely. As long as they keep being studs for us I don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look for many friendlies in the US next year.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley & Altidore were non-existent. As part of the leadership, they will be crucified along with Arena & Gulati. Only Dempsey was decent while winning goals by Panama & Honduras were by MLSers. Just heard Arena say the US is doing nothing wrong, we got MLS and audio gets cut off.

The so called Chosen One (Pulisic) betrayed his US soccer fan boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who is in from CONCACAF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    This is genuinely incredible, I really can't believe it. They had qualification so nearly wrapped up, and everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. Wow.

Prepare for tons and tons of Bradley/Altidore hating. Hell, maybe it's partly deserved, I don't watch their games that closely. As long as they keep being studs for us I don't care.
    Nothing against you sir but if you want a strong and growing MLS this could be devastating for the popularity of the game in North America, if you like the fact that you see many MLS stadiums pretty full and the league growing then you need the US and eventually Canada in World Cups , it’s going to be an interesting next 4 years let’s hope this does not set soccers popularity back 30 years in North America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mexico, CR & Panama. Honduras plays the Aussies in one of the inter-continental playoffs. Probably worst match up for the Aussies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn’t care less about the USA not qualifying. Up until Panama scores we were looking down the barrel of the USA playing Australia in a playoff the same day as the East Semi Final. MLS wasn’t trumping FIFA in that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    Bradley & Altidore were non-existent. As part of the leadership, they will be crucified along with Arena & Gulati. Only Dempsey was decent while winning goals by Panama & Honduras were by MLSers. Just heard Arena say the US is doing nothing wrong, we got MLS and audio gets cut off.

The so called Chosen One (Pulisic) betrayed his US soccer fan boys.
    Pulisic is 19 he has done well for the US since he made his full international debut please we in Canada can only wish we had a player of that age playing for Canada.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say this but I don’t think it'll be easy for Bradley and Altidore to produce elite performances for TFC in the playoffs this year. They are pros, I know, but this is the kind of thing you never live down. It's an absolutely epic fail. Trinidad are terrible.

Neither of them are likely to start or even maybe make the 2022 team.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm sure there will be an extra spring in Cooper's step in training. Congratulations to him and Panama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Pulisic is 19 he has done well for the US since he made his full international debut please we in Canada can only wish we had a player of that age playing for Canada.
    I guess you haven't heard Davies (16 year old) who won golden boot and best young player award in Gold Cup this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speechless. Hate to say it, but the US did not deserve the spot after the recent string of performances. Have a feeling we might be seeing more of Tosaint in the next few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well fellaz, TFC will be even stronger next year with less call ups. I want the CCL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Nothing against you sir but if you want a strong and growing MLS this could be devastating for the popularity of the game in North America, if you like the fact that you see many MLS stadiums pretty full and the league growing then you need the US and eventually Canada in World Cups , it’s going to be an interesting next 4 years let’s hope this does not set soccers popularity back 30 years in North America.
    Canada soccer POV: MLS is going to have a harder time to grow because new Canadian soccer league that's starting up next year. US result wouldn't affect Canadian soccer unless you are only talking about Canadian MLS clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shocking results...

not at all good for MLS growth

I was really hoping for a strong USA showing and ultimate media coverage

with a boomerang effect on Canadian football interest as MLS prospers

it will still happen me thinks but worry that this might delay the process...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I guess you haven't heard Davies (16 year old) who won golden boot and best young player award in Gold Cup this year.
    Oh I’ve heard of him but let’s see where he is at at 19.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Bradley is not going to be captain & Jozy is going to be occasional bring in guy for the next 4 years. They will work in Bradley occasionally as well but the US has to hit reset on all its positions baring Pulisic (in no way was that his fault tonight).

Jozy & Bradley both played great against Panama but tonight - they were crap (although Bradley on an island without support in the midfield is really bad planning by Arena).

This is bad for the league in some ways and in some ways useful. MLS has become the defacto place to go if you are from CONCACAF and not good enough for Europe or LigaMx. That is just going to get stronger.

BUT, the amount of people in the US who only follow soccer during a World Cup is huge. There is a whole generation of people who have never experienced a WC without their country in it - they are melting down on Twitter right now. And nobody knows how this will play out support wise. I doubt in the short term it affects MLS because people really support MLS because its local, not because of the USMNT.

In the long run, a strong USMNT is good for MLS, and thus good for TFC.

But, this was coming one day. And maybe, just maybe, US people will see soccer as not just "their" game but also something they can be part of without "their" team being in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Canada soccer POV: MLS is going to have a harder time to grow because new Canadian soccer league that's starting up next year. US result wouldn't affect Canadian soccer unless you are only talking about Canadian MLS clubs.
    CPL is not going to affect MLS #'s in Canada because there are not that many MLS #'s in Canada to begin with. BUT, the USMNT not being in affects US investment in the game, in the short tem, and that has a direct affect on Canadian MLS teams and an ancilliary long term affect on Canadian soccer.

In the long term, a mature understanding of what the WC is (i.e. a party that your team doesn't have to be in to enjoy) will make 2026 an even better spectacle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very alarmed right now. Not at the melting down of the US fans, but what this will mean for the future salary caps for MLS. They've been able to get better successive TV deals because World Cup games had MLS games tied into one package. the TV networks paid more because they knew the US would make it into every World Cup. They don't have that certainty anymore so you know they will lowball the next TV deal, which will affect the amount of TV money that MLS can put towards the salary cap. This could also affect viewership as the US fans now don't have US WC players to cheer on or watch. I'm going to be very interested in the MLS TV ratings next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a TFC perspective my concern is whether Bradley and Altidore can shrug this off, or more likely how quickly they can. This is probably a career-defining loss for both of them, I don't know if their heads will be in the right place vs. Montreal. I guess we'll see.

As for long term MLS implications, I'm not sure. I think the league will be mostly fine. Growth will almost certainly slow down or stagnate but I kind of doubt you'll see ratings plummet or shit really hit the fan. MLS fans, especially in the U.S., are generally speaking the hardcore slice of soccer fans. They'll stick around.
    Last edited by notthesun; 10-10-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hate to say this but I don’t think it'll be easy for Bradley and Altidore to produce elite performances for TFC in the playoffs this year. They are pros, I know, but this is the kind of thing you never live down. It's an absolutely epic fail. Trinidad are terrible.

Neither of them are likely to start or even maybe make the 2022 team.
    Yeah I agree. This is going to be tough for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not worried about the tv money ,the US along with Canada and Mex are getting the 2026 WC.48 games that will be huge money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

International will wear off shortly. Let them sleep on it for a week and their minds will be focused on the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    not worried about the tv money ,the US along with Canada and Mex are getting the 2026 WC.48 games that will be huge money.
    Yes - 2026 could be a re-awakening, a USA'94 v2.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper to the World Cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm very alarmed right now. Not at the melting down of the US fans, but what this will mean for the future salary caps for MLS. They've been able to get better successive TV deals because World Cup games had MLS games tied into one package. the TV networks paid more because they knew the US would make it into every World Cup. They don't have that certainty anymore so you know they will lowball the next TV deal, which will affect the amount of TV money that MLS can put towards the salary cap. This could also affect viewership as the US fans now don't have US WC players to cheer on or watch. I'm going to be very interested in the MLS TV ratings next year.
    Very good point, if US missing the World Cup affects the SUM dollars significantly, that will have a big effect on MLS & a number of other things.

Also just a quick reminder, we shouldn't be complacent about this in Canada or feel any schadenfreude. Canada is a G7 nation, over 36 million population with huge numbers of grassroots soccer players, large immigrant population with a big interest in soccer, and many other thing going for it -- yet has only qualified for the WC once in '86. Iceland with less than 1% of that population, just qualified. I know there are lots of reasons & issues in Canada, but it really is shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bet you MB will be at practice tomorrow morning,after that game the us may take is passport away.