8 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy Record

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Galaxy Record

How hard should TFC push for the MLS points record with two games to go knowing that the MLS playoffs are around the corner? They need 4 points to break record.

Next two games:
    vs MON
    @ ATL

Both games should be meaningful for the opposition. MON still has a shot at the playoffs and ATL is gunning for a bye / homefield advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say play the starters, but more for form than the record. Sub players out early if necessary, but everyone needs to get on a roll before the playoffs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Push for form, not for the record. I see it as charlieocc sees it.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Samesies. Play startes, especially Seba. He needs the minutes. I would not be opposed to pulling him at half-time though.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with playing for form. If we win one out of the 2 (pretty likely) we will tie the record. If we bounce out of the playoff, noone will care what a record is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Record + No Cup = we're a meme.

It doesn't matter at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney already indicated he is running with this squad through the next two games. Seba in for Ricketts and Ricketts replaces Hamilton on the bench - but no other changes likely until CCL.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want the record. I'll love the meme.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would like to see Hagglund get a start over Zav or Moor against Montreal. He was our best Defender before his first injury and he will have some sort of role in playoffs. Needs to play before then. The only thing that has worried me is we have been conceding a lot recently (5 against Montreal, 2 against New England, 2 against the Red Bulls). Game against Montreal, Zav had a horrible game. Game against the Red Bulls it was Moor at fault for both goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main players except Bradley have all been rested at various points through the season. Now is the time to decide on a playoff roster with starters and bench players auditioning for their roles. They should treat the Montreal game as an elimination playoff game (which it is for the Impact), but I'd be worried about showing too much of my hand against Atlanta since they may end up playing them in the Conference Championship round. That's the game I'd mix starters and periphery players. I'd like to see them win the record, though, but they might be able to pull it off regardless so long as Almiron is out for Atlanta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to need the Mtl game to get everyone back on track after int'l break. Away at Atl is a question mark.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hagglund looked like he could barely run when doing warm ups - one big serious brace on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Vanney already indicated he is running with this squad through the next two games. Seba in for Ricketts and Ricketts replaces Hamilton on the bench - but no other changes likely until CCL.
    No Jozy vs MTL. Ricketts stays in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Would like to see Hagglund get a start over Zav or Moor against Montreal. He was our best Defender before his first injury and he will have some sort of role in playoffs. Needs to play before then. The only thing that has worried me is we have been conceding a lot recently (5 against Montreal, 2 against New England, 2 against the Red Bulls). Game against Montreal, Zav had a horrible game. Game against the Red Bulls it was Moor at fault for both goals.
    first goal was the midfields fault. Bradley was on a charge and Delgado and Vasquez both pushed up, leaving us completely exposed when we turned it over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Maybe Hamilton gets a chance. Or vasquez is pushed up and Osorio comes in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    first goal was the midfields fault. Bradley was on a charge and Delgado and Vasquez both pushed up, leaving us completely exposed when we turned it over.
    Yes very true, but that will happen a couple times over a course of a game. Your defenders need to get it right, and Moor completely fucked that up. Ball was being closed down from Moor's left and instead of keeping gap control and taking away the passing lane, he does the complete opposite. I could of made that pass how easy he made that decision for the attacker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rather be the first to win a treble than beat the galaxy record.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry...bad wording.

Take the 18 that was up against NYRB.

Replace Ricketts with Seba.

Put Ricketts on the bench.

Move Hamilton out of the 18.

i.e. Don't expect any changes for those two games but Seba in.

Vanney has picked his squad for the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the yellow card situation? Might be good to get those cleared away so no one is on suspension for the first game of playoffs. Let them sit for Atlanta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two games to go until the playoffs. After losing two of the last three any thought of taking it easy on anyone is a kiss of death. We need to crank up the intensity to get everyone in the playoff mindset. Any pussyfooting around and we'll find ourselves out in our first round. We haven't been playing well enough to float through the next two games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^agreed. We have a 2 week break now, then 2 games, then another small break as we dont play the "play-in" game. If injuries happen - so be it. Gotta go all out as if every game needs to be won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with the record is the Galaxy got 68 points in 1998, but only played 32 games. We can beat the record, but through 34 games. Through 32 games, we only have 65 points.

In addition, they had shootout points (3 points for regulation win, 1 point for shootout win, 0 points for loss or shootout loss).
    The Galaxy in 32 games, had 22 wins, 2 shootout wins, 2 shootout losses, and 6 losses.
    So if we account for shootout wins and losses as ties as they should've been, it should've been 70 points in 32 games for them.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should play starters more for momentum going into the playoffs. Our last few games have been some of the worst this season so I think we should play them to build that momentum that will take us all the way to the cup. If we keep playing how we have the last few I don't think we have a chance at the cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy isn't actually suspended for the MTL game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charlieocc View Post
    Jozy isn't actually suspended for the MTL game
    Pardon??? Isn't he on yellow accumulation and misses the next league game (therefore MTL)?? What do you mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pardon??? Isn't he on yellow accumulation and misses the next league game (therefore MTL)?? What do you mean?
    Nope, TSN crew was wrong. He lost a yellow card due to the Good Behaviour rule, so he's good until the playoffs.
    https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/914918579530854400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charlieocc View Post
    Nope, TSN crew was wrong. He lost a yellow card due to the Good Behaviour rule, so he's good until the playoffs.
    https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/914918579530854400
    Interesting. It said they drop a yellow. That would just mean he would be 2 away from getting a suspension? If he were to earn a yellow vs MTL then ATL, he would miss a playoff game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. It said they drop a yellow. That would just mean he would be 2 away from getting a suspension? If he were to earn a yellow vs MTL then ATL, he would miss a playoff game?
    He's 2 away from a suspension but they're wiped before the playoffs so he's in the clear

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The thing with the record is the Galaxy got 68 points in 1998, but only played 32 games. We can beat the record, but through 34 games. Through 32 games, we only have 65 points.

In addition, they had shootout points (3 points for regulation win, 1 point for shootout win, 0 points for loss or shootout loss).
    The Galaxy in 32 games, had 22 wins, 2 shootout wins, 2 shootout losses, and 6 losses.
    So if we account for shootout wins and losses as ties as they should've been, it should've been 70 points in 32 games for them.
    Those calculations are true, but a valid response to that is that any MLS 1.0 (prior to 2007) records are meaningless anyways because the league was so inferior to what it is today that it is like bringing in records from the USL and saying that TFC has to beat those.

No DPs, no TAM, very low budgets, very poor defending, no academies or second teams, generally a very budget league.

Even a relatively poor team like Philly today would absolutely destroy that 1998 Galaxy team.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-02-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After just reading Michael Bradley's letter I say go for the record. Oh Captain My Captain