• Other

8 10.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galaxy Record

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One game at a time. After the last Mtl game we have no option about going out and eliminating them from the play-offs. There are a fair amount of rest weeks in the play-offs so I wouldn't be worried unless there was a real injury. Going out an sending a message to Atlanta on their own turf will be a good psychological move. I'd go for re-establishing momentum. Getting Gio game fit and playing well is the most important factor for an MLS Cup win. Sending him out when there rest of the key players are resting won't help him one bit. We have the deepest squad...we can cope of there is a late injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring out our playoff squad to beat Montreal to (a) knock them out FOR GOOD (b) avenge our only home loss.

Go to Atlanta and possibly bench a mix of Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore and Vasquez. Bring some of them on in the second half to keep fresh and get a feel for the turf.

If we do that, we at least tie the record and stay healthy. If things break our way, even with a less than full strength team in Atlanta we may be able to get a tie and hit 69 points. Job done.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarboroughRed View Post

Go to Atlanta and possibly bench a mix of Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore and Vasquez. Bring some of them on in the second half to keep fresh and get a feel for the turf.

If we do that, we at least tie the record and stay healthy. If things break our way, even with a less than full strength team in Atlanta we may be able to get a tie and hit 69 points. Job done.
    Start with Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore and Vasquez. Score early, force Atlanta to open up. After TFC is up a few goals, then rotate.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should go for a win in Atlanta. As healthy as we might have to be the playoffs is all about momentum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have enough depth that we do not need to risk important starters and still push for the record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We dont have a congested schedule to finish the year, other than being a little worried about how much Bradley has played all year I dont think you treat the final two games any different than the playoffs. Just go, play and win. If its 3-0 then maybe you sub someone off a little earlier, 60 min instead of 70-75.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll have a good amount of recovery time after our last regular season game too. One ofnthe advantages of finishing first. Beating Atlanta away would be a nice statement to teams thinking we looked mortal the last few weeks.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    We'll have a good amount of recovery time after our last regular season game too. One ofnthe advantages of finishing first. Beating Atlanta away would be a nice statement to teams thinking we looked mortal the last few weeks.

That's how I look at it.
    We have a break now before Montreal.
    So play the A-Team.

We have a break before out first playoff game,
    So play the A-Team in Atlanta.

But I wouldn't take risks.
    If someone is still recovering, then don't push them into the lineup.
    And I definitely want to see Cheyrou and Hagglund get minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After today - Atlanta will finish 3rd likely and will have a knock out game 3 days after the game with us. Likely that Atlanta will be resting all their best players for this one. Might as well go for the record and take off our key players at half time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Atlanta doesn't get a win against NYRB, they will need to get a win versus us to guarantee a home playoff game.

They will not be sitting starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another potential factor is the league forcing Bradley and Altidore - 2 current USMNTers to at least start, especially now with 70,000+ seats sold.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more worried about the USMNT game in T&T tonight with the water logged pitch.

Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be checking back here after todays match to see which way the poll moves.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go all out for it next Sunday in Atlanta thus head into the post season on a high note !!!

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winning the supporter shield, and proofing to be the best team ever in the MLS, would beat an MLS Cup in my books. We have to go for it. Plus we need to keep it rolling, and Giovinco is a bit rusty.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Us fans to TFC getting the best MLS regular season side ever:

TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Those calculations are true, but a valid response to that is that any MLS 1.0 (prior to 2007) records are meaningless anyways because the league was so inferior to what it is today that it is like bringing in records from the USL and saying that TFC has to beat those.

No DPs, no TAM, very low budgets, very poor defending, no academies or second teams, generally a very budget league.

Even a relatively poor team like Philly today would absolutely destroy that 1998 Galaxy team.
    This exactly what I think about it. Even 2007 MLS is not what 2017 is. Never mind 1998.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say go for it but I'm more interesting in seeing first team form than I am in breaking the record. Both would be nice though