Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CFL Commisioner Coments on Argos and BMO

Thanks to SweetOwnGoal for finding this.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...1_105949_11028

If you thought it was dead, think again.

They talk about things pertaining to us around the middle.

Now they want to hold high school games at BMO
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, the CFL commissioner should mind his own business. If the Argos want to play at a publicly-funded stadium, how does the Skydome sound?!

As for high school games, why would BMO be needed? All you need is a green patch of land and you're good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roger Center was publicly funded but now is privately owned, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCFan1977 View Post
    Indeed, by Rogers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCFan1977 View Post
    You mean the Skydome, right? Yes, the 'Dome is now privately owned. However, a hundreds of millions of taxpayers' dollars were poured into the 'Dome, and the Argos have been playing there since '89. It's not as if the Boatmen can claim that TFC is getting special treatment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    Indeed, by Rogers.
    I think we should avoid using the 'R' word whenever possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But BMO field isn't 100% public funded. MLSE pitched in some money as well.

Besides, BMO field was built for soccer, not Canadian football.

olegunnar

This publicly funded crap is horse poo.

The Olympic Park in Calgary was publicly funded...why can't we can't we turn the luge course into a giant waterslide? That would R O C K Rock! That ones for you section 117!

The New Opera House was publicly funded...why can't I as a tax payer see strippers perform on stage. How about some jello wrestling? It was my tax money!! It's got seats, a stage...it fits the bill.

Who paid for the 401? I know! Tax payers! I think we should close it and have a giant flea market every Sunday.

Just because something is publicly funded doesn't mean it's a free for all for usage.

BMO is the National Soccer Stadium. The luge course is for luge. The Opera House is for Opera. The 401 is for traffic. What's so hard to understand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't usually listen to Mike Toth. Is he usually that big of a loud mouth?

"Excuse me soccer fans, but TFC has been around for year and a half and the Argos are one the oldest franchises. Give it a rest!" Mike Toth

I really can't believe this comment by him because he has written articles on TFC. Does he just play to his audience or is he really just a fucking idiot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    But BMO field isn't 100% public funded. MLSE pitched in some money as well.

Besides, BMO field was built for soccer, not Canadian football.
    Yes, MLSE did chip in money, while the Argos jumped in favour of Teddy's sweet deal at the 'Dome. No risk, no reward. For the Argos to get in on BMO Field now would be like buying a stock after its price shot through the roof, and expecting to pay the original low price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    I don't usually listen to Mike Toth. Is he usually that big of a loud mouth?

"Excuse me soccer fans, but TFC has been around for year and a half and the Argos are one the oldest franchises. Give it a rest!" Mike Toth

I really can't believe this comment by him because he has written articles on TFC. Does he just play to his audience or is he really just a fucking idiot
    A little of both I would think.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope the bills move to the rogers centre and kill off the cfl.
    c'mon you Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunner View Post

The Olympic Park in Calgary was publicly funded...why can't we can't we turn the luge course into a giant waterslide? That would R O C K Rock! That ones for you section 117!

The New Opera House was publicly funded...why can't I as a tax payer see strippers perform on stage. How about some jello wrestling? It was my tax money!! It's got seats, a stage...it fits the bill.

Who paid for the 401? I know! Tax payers! I think we should close it and have a giant flea market every Sunday.

Just because something is publicly funded doesn't mean it's a free for all for usage.

BMO is the National Soccer Stadium. The luge course is for luge. The Opera House is for Opera. The 401 is for traffic. What's so hard to understand?
    I wouldn't mind biking on the 401. Get the Darwin Award ready...

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    I wouldn't mind biking on the 401. Get the Darwin Award ready...
    Bikes have been around longer than cars.
    Using Mike Toth's logic...get your helmet out it's time to bike ride on the 401! Sorry commuters...bikes have been around longer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bikes have been around longer than cars.
    Using Mike Toth's logic...get your helmet out it's time to bike ride on the 401! Sorry commuters...bikes have been around longer
    You have just trumped the 'older franchise' and 'taxpayers money' arguments at the same time
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BEST ARGUMENTS EVER! FANTASTIC!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfectly put.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a load of shit myself, the ARGO's should stay put. The problem is they're looking at how Montreal pointy ball is a hot ticket, cause of the move to a smaller venue. It makes it look exciting on TV and sadly, the MLSE only See $$$$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone here understands this clearly, the FAN has exhausted the Sundin talks and now they need to focus on something else. I hate that fucking station.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please send this to every media outlet in Toronto, it's brilliant...and yes DigzTFC! Mike toth is a loudmouth trying to have a Bob McCowan impact but he's a total douche. I can't stand is incoherent ramblings like "when I was a goalie playing Junior D in Alberta for the Wheat Shafts, well it was cold and I would always tell my teamates, well at least you guys can skate around to keep warm, I'm stuck in this net"

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's what the CFL wants but not necessary what they will get.

In order for Argos to go to BMO, BMO needs expansion. In order for that to happen, Argos has to get the city to approve it first. Would the city provide fundings just so that Argos can move? By the time the city decides (maybe 5 years later), the Bills would be in town and nobody will care about the Argos.

Here is another point. BMO is expected to expand to 25000-30000 seats by 2010. A move the city will do in a heartbeat because it generates more money from BMO field. By then, it will cost more to remove all those new seats so that the field can accomodate CFL football.

The idea of Argos moving to BMO is just a way to get a better rental deal at Skydome.
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    I think that's what the CFL wants but not necessary what they will get.

In order for Argos to go to BMO, BMO needs expansion. In order for that to happen, Argos has to get the city to approve it first. Would the city provide fundings just so that Argos can move? By the time the city decides (maybe 5 years later), the Bills would be in town and nobody will care about the Argos.

Here is another point. BMO is expected to expand to 25000-30000 seats by 2010. A move the city will do in a heartbeat because it generates more money from BMO field. By then, it will cost more to remove all those new seats so that the field can accomodate CFL football.

The idea of Argos moving to BMO is just a way to get a better rental deal at Skydome.

So we hope and maybe led to believe!

I hope the City understands that the Bills are going now where fast, way too much history and Red Tape to move it. The other issue is who in the hell is going to use the giant concrete fish bowl? Baseball and Monster truck shit! The building will be neglected, and end up looking like crap!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good argument, but I thought this was the funniest part!
    Last edited by AL-MO; 07-31-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos don't even deserve a stadium anymore. They just missed their chance with the PanAms. The Feds, the province, the city and ROGERS will fund a stadium for the PanAms.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogers and MLSE are partners

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly don't mind the Skydome. Thats where the Argo's belong. Not at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this deal is far from over. If the Argos front the cash, the city will say yes. They don't really have a choice. The only real hope for us is that the cost required to change the stadium and the rather small size of the stadium will deter them. I believe moving stands at the south end would cost $11 mill, or something like that. Then they have to put another level on the east side, which would cost even more. Suddenly you are playing 30 million or more and still only seating 25000ish. Average attendance is 30k, and I have been there with 45k.

The MLSE is really our only saviour here. If they are convinced that this move will be bad for their pocketbook then they will stop it. They are the only party with the power to prevent this from happening.

Oh, and we can kiss our dream of grass goodbye. Unless we have a removable grass field -- which would solve the problem of lines on the field.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's great that the argos have been around for so long. However, they did fuck up the original plan for a Football/soocer stadium a few years back..no?

They are in this position becuase of themselves.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    It's great that the argos have been around for so long. However, they did fuck up the original plan for a Football/soocer stadium a few years back..no?

They are in this position becuase of themselves.

Indeed they did my friend. I am an American Football fan, but thats why I have no sympathy for them.

EDIT: And I don't have a major problem with them playing highschool finals and big college games at BMO. Its a Soccer stadium, USE IT FOR THAT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"60-70% of revenues are from ticket sales"

then focus on filling more seats at skydome.

morons.