Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    "Do the fans sing only when we have the ball? Oh, no, no, no. When we are under pressure, the fans understand our pain and they sing their hearts out. They understand the complexity of the game, and when the players are suffering. They are very, very close to us."

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/cl...remier-league/
    It's one thing to suffer honestly with players who aren't performing/can't perform due to circumstances outside their control, or under pressure, or if one or two players are having an off day.

It's entirely different when the game feels like it's mailed in. Which is what this one felt like.

I don't take "thick or thin" to mean "when the players show up or not." There has to be some expectation of professionalism, especially in the thin times.

I mean, I stayed until the end. I cheered rather than booing. I would rather urge the players on than dismiss them.

But I'd rather have fans boo than leave, to be honest. At least they're still engaged.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    IMO it's a wise decision keeping Seba and Alti back to get 100% fit, the playoffs are in the bag and the SSheild is just a win away.

We can afford to lose a couple and at the same time look at alternative strikers, which goes prove we need our A team
    And this is why I can't respect this league.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nah....we get 3 out of these 3 games and move on into the playoffs.

That last game on turf vs. Atlanta will mean absolutely bupkiss.
    Does that not mean the most wins in a season in Supporter Shield history? That. That is what I want. We could've been a win away from it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    And this is why I can't respect this league.
    How is this different than say, Barcelona resting player in LA Liga when they have a champions league semi-final or final coming up? It's a pretty common practice. We have the league basically tied up. No reason to grind the team into the ground for a couple more points when we have a grueling playoff run to get through.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    How is this different than say, Barcelona resting player in LA Liga when they have a champions league semi-final or final coming up? It's a pretty common practice. We have the league basically tied up. No reason to grind the team into the ground for a couple more points when we have a grueling playoff run to get through.
    A record. For a record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A record. For a record.
    Would you prefer a worn down team who gets the record but falls short in the playoffs due to exhaustion, or a team who gets the shield and the cup but doesn't get the record? That's the question Vanney has answered with his selections and I think he's right. More important to be 100% and win the Cup to right lasts years wrong.

The Record we can go after anytime. next year we'll honestly probably be better. We had incredibly bad luck with scheduling and especially injuries up and down the lineup.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you prefer a worn down team who gets the record but falls short in the playoffs due to exhaustion, or a team who gets the shield and the cup but doesn't get the record? That's the question Vanney has answered with his selections and I think he's right. More important to be 100% and win the Cup to right lasts years wrong.

The Record we can go after anytime. next year we'll honestly probably be better. We had incredibly bad luck with scheduling and especially injuries up and down the lineup.
    I don't do pussplops. I hate the NA mentality of sneaking into the playoffs to win it all. Yes I know that's how it is. I just don't like it.

Whatever. On topic, this is the game thread so

Let's win this one game at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't do pussplops. I hate the NA mentality of sneaking into the playoffs to win it all. Yes I know that's how it is. I just don't like it.

Whatever. On topic, this is the game thread so

Let's win this one game at a time.

well, ok. I provided a common example of the same thing taking place in Europe but alright. To each his own I guess. my #1 priority if I'm Vanney is to make 100% is to right lasts years wrong and give us a cup win at home.

Not getting the record doesn't mean we won't be in the conversation of best MLS teams of all time, it just means it might not be as definitive. I can live with that pretty easily but I understand where your coming from.

But yes, back on topic. I'm away until the playoffs start, which really sucks because going to games is such a thrill. Games really aren't as fun on TV.

The red bulls can be had, I think. They certainly aren't the behemoth they were 2-3 years ago. 2-0 TFC.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 09-26-2017 at 08:44 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has his own experience as a player on the '98 Galaxy team. They got that points record that has stood all those years and until TFC went on that run this year NOBODY ever mentioned or cared about that record because the Galaxy didn't win the cup.

I'm sure that's scarred in his memory and he never wants to go there again. So he'll do everything to win the Cup and be willing to dispense with the all time record. That never was a goal. Nice to have but it's no big deal.

I know for some of us the Shield is the bigger prize because you have to be consistently good, but for the average fan the Cup is everything. It's like nobody cares about the President's trophy in hockey, North America runs on playoffs.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-26-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Vanney has his own experience as a player on the '98 Galaxy team. They got that points record that has stood all those years and until TFC went on that run this year NOBODY ever mentioned or cared about that record because the Galaxy didn't win the cup.

I'm sure that's scarred in his memory and he never wants to go there again. So he'll do everything to win the Cup and be willing to dispense with the all time record. That never was a goal. Nice to have but it's no big deal.

I know for some of us the Shield is the bigger prize because you have to be consistently good, but for the average fan the Cup is everything. It's like nobody cares about the President's trophy in hockey, North America runs on playoffs.
    Nobody talks about who won the cup that year either. I honestly don't know who won it. Having the best season in league history is something a bit higher and longer lasting than the cup imo. I mean, I don't know who won the Diamond League 100m championship in 1993, but I can sure as hell tell you who owns the current 100m world record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by molenshtain; 09-26-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: misunderstood.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Nobody talks about who won the cup that year either. I honestly don't know who won it. Having the best season in league history is something a bit higher and longer lasting than the cup imo. I mean, I don't know who won the Diamond League 100m championship in 1993, but I can sure as hell tell you who owns the current 100m world record.
    Chicago. I knew that without looking it up. They were the first ever expansion team to win the cup.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will the Supporter Shield be there on Saturday? Do the players get medals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago. I knew that without looking it up. They were the first ever expansion team to win the cup.
    Great, thanks for telling me. That will spark significant dinner table conversation.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, ok. I provided a common example of the same thing taking place in Europe but alright. To each his own I guess. my #1 priority if I'm Vanney is to make 100% is to right lasts years wrong and give us a cup win at home.

Not getting the record doesn't mean we won't be in the conversation of best MLS teams of all time, it just means it might not be as definitive. I can live with that pretty easily but I understand where your coming from.

But yes, back on topic. I'm away until the playoffs start, which really sucks because going to games is such a thrill. Games really aren't as fun on TV.

The red bulls can be had, I think. They certainly aren't the behemoth they were 2-3 years ago. 2-0 TFC.
    Sorry you're missing the games.

but

That example you provided is not oranges to oranges. Ask me again when our champions league fixtures are coming up.

Red Bulls can be had. If we go with our best this time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    Will the Supporter Shield be there on Saturday? Do the players get medals?
    Phil already said that (assuming TFC wins it) it will be presented October 15th. In front of our friends the Impact and their supporters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil already said that (assuming TFC wins it) it will be presented October 15th. In front of our friends the Impact and their supporters.
    Just to add, if I remember correctly from Phil the "delay" is mainly logistics to get the shield itself up here (also because I think they do not want to ship it up to us until it is 100% confirmed)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news. John also said Seba is doing football related activity he's just not training with the team. He can't be far away.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Seba or Jozy are ready to go, then I want Vanney to replace Bradley with Cheyrou. Over the last couple of games, MB has looked tired. And with the October international games coming up, I want him rested before the playoffs to avoid something like what happened to Almiron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you're missing the games.

but

That example you provided is not oranges to oranges. Ask me again when our champions league fixtures are coming up.

Red Bulls can be had. If we go with our best this time.
    last two game were defensive F ups. I know good fwds keep the pressure off the D, but The D got us in this mess, I want them to get us out

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    If Seba or Jozy are ready to go, then I want Vanney to replace Bradley with Cheyrou. Over the last couple of games, MB has looked tired. And with the October international games coming up, I want him rested before the playoffs to avoid something like what happened to Almiron.
    That's a good point. Maybe bring him on for 30 minutes this game or next, then have him play on the turf in Atlanta on October 22nd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on whos playing

Rahim and Hasler have proven themselves again. Hasler more so.

I wonder what its going to take to supersede the starters

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I feel as though Hasler will get the start versus the Red Bulls over Beita. (But would be switch on a moments notice if needed)

Raheem and Osorio I think are options 1a and 1b (depending on need) followed by Ricketts in terms of frist choice subs.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree. Not sure how much of it was tiredness or something else, but he definitely seemed off for portions of the games. Problem is, I don't know if Bradley would allow Vanney to keep him off the field. Which is also a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it very hard to believe Michael will miss another second of a match this year. I can only imagine the conversation between him and Vanney about missing any time.
    "Michael I think it'd be best if....."
    "No"

I know at the end of the day it is the managers decision but with a guy like Bradley, I just can't see it happening. I have been wrong before though, quite a bit actually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This I would bet anyone, Vanney will not do. If Bradley were going to sit, it would have been in the last two games.

Now that we will be at full strength, and have only three games to go, Vanney is focused on getting guys clicking. He will go 100% with the playoff starting lineups for NYRB and Montreal, it'll be interesting to see how he works Hagglund and Cheyrou back in, given that he needs to get work in for Ricketts, and whoever of Osorio/Delgado isn't starting.

For the Atlanta game, he will have a tough call. He may well want to mail it in, same as the last two games, because of the turf - but if Atlanta looks as a playoff opponent - as they do now - you want guys getting used to the turf/atmosphere down there
    Last edited by ensco; 09-26-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to see Hagglund back in the xi for this one. Nothing against Zavs, I just love what Hagglund can bring in the air.
    Bono
    Hagglund Moor Mavinga
    Hasler Morrow
    Delgado Bradley Vazquez
    Ricketts Altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shmurda42 View Post
    I'd love to see Hagglund back in the xi for this one. Nothing against Zavs, I just love what Hagglund can bring in the air.
    Bono
    Hagglund Moor Mavinga
    Hasler Morrow
    Delgado Bradley Vazquez
    Ricketts Altidore
    How would Hamilton fair with Jozy if he were to start?