Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I was on here all these years when it was Pollyanna-ville, and every obvious piece of stupidity was defended en masse...

Right now this is deja vu, but in reverse.

I seriously cannot believe what I am reading.

Total joke. I hope the players don't see this, and this isn't representative of what the fan base thinks
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A team L to be sure, classic Irwin on the second goal though looks like the guy is in quicksand. Any other goalie and I would say they tried to make that save attempt look good, but with Irwin you know he's just slow and has bad reaction time.

It will be a perverted satisfaction to win the Shield via an Impact victory though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    A team L to be sure, classic Irwin on the second goal though looks like the guy is in quicksand. Any other goalie and I would say they tried to make that save attempt look good, but with Irwin you know he's just slow and has bad reaction time.

It will be a perverted satisfaction to win the Shield via an Impact victory though.
    Irwin was so poor on that second goal, any chance of him getting playoff minutes died right there.

Defenders weren't much better, there were 5 circled around Kamara when the ball was struck.

I hate playing in NE, always a bad time. Not sure what it is but it's almost always shit performance or injuries.

Really tho, without Jozy/Seba were an entirely different team. No FK threat. Teams can be more aggressive against us because they aren't afraid of Ricketts the way they fear those two. No one makes the runs or holds up the ball like those two can. Cheyrou/Hagglund should be ready come playoffs. We're not the team we saw this week and everyone knows that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we would have seen a better game if Cheyrou, Bradley, and Vasquez started the game, but, well, injuries...

Those Tobias time goals gave me flashbacks to 2012-2014 TFC. The players felt relief at scoring the tying goal and let up on their focus and concentration, and voila, first losing streak of the season. I'm sure Vanney is going to use this as a teachable moment.

Then again, I was worried coming into Gillette with the Revs on a new coach bounce and that's what happened. The fact that the goals were scored after Vasquez left the field just reinforced my belief that he is actually TFC's most valuable player. I want to see them win out the season now so they get back in form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Really tho, without Jozy/Seba were an entirely different team. No FK threat. Teams can be more aggressive against us because they aren't afraid of Ricketts the way they fear those two. No one makes the runs or holds up the ball like those two can. Cheyrou/Hagglund should be ready come playoffs. We're not the team we saw this week and everyone knows that.
    The highlighted sentence is totally wrong.

The correct one is:
    Really tho, without Jozy/Seba and not just a half-healthy Victor were an entirely different team against decent teams.

Because Victor was totally average player today compared to his standards, it was very obvious that he's playing with the flu bug.
    And "against decent teams" because beating the Galaxy in LA gave us the false impression that missing Seba/Jozy is not that of a big deal, but that LA team was/is not a decent team. Not even close.

Nobody should have had any deeper conclusions after that LA game, because the Galaxy is shockingly bad, is getting drastically beat down by almost any opponent!
    I had no idea how bad is that team, because I never saw them playing except that game this season, but that combined to their other results in the last month or so is enough to me to say this.

Beating that Galaxy 4-0 in their home was not a good performance by TFC, but something to be expected.
    Not beating that Galaxy team would have been a shocking failure.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 09-23-2017 at 08:12 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@redcoe tell us how you really feel. :-p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Irwin was so poor on that second goal, any chance of him getting playoff minutes died right there.

Defenders weren't much better, there were 5 circled around Kamara when the ball was struck.

I hate playing in NE, always a bad time. Not sure what it is but it's almost always shit performance or injuries.

he looked pretty bad on the first goal also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    meh. didn't expect a result in New England with unfamiliar turf and lots of mileage on the legs

really would you have wanted them to win tonight and win the supporters shield in new england and next saturdays game means nothing or win the supporters shield next saturday at bmo? i know what i want. i want to be entertained next saturday night with all the guys playing, a great game and a win. who cares about this game. no gio, no altidore, no mavinga, no zavaletta, no bono, 3 games in 7 days with long flight back from LA.

I happened to overtape todays game and got 1/2 hour of the argo game.
    ooh its bad, 200's seats on east side 99% empty, 100's seats on east side 75% empty
    supporters section 80% empty
    did not really get good look at the west side
    Last edited by stevep; 09-23-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is see though in the last 2 games is that with all those too weak or strange or experimental lineups (call those whatever you want...) TFC started, the real reason of our failures is that almost all players on the field had very weak performances compared to their better games.

And one thing for me is evident:
    We lost both games because the play on defense was very bad.
    TFC level 2010-13 bad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently the sky is falling for the Fire too tonight (smirk).....now only an Atl loss and a NYCFC loss to go.....it still may happen by Wednesday night.....and if not, we will take care of it ourselves in a week.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal game, we attacked quite well but had a series of basic errors that were astonishing.

this game, we were playing decently, not dominating but fine, surrendered an unlucky goal but then immediately bounced back. At that point a 1-1 tie would have said "TFC is back". Surrendering the second goal the way we did was very very poor and a worry. Basic mistakes like not covering a golden boot calibre striker aren't acceptable, even in a nothing game. Team needs to up its level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    really would you have wanted them to win tonight and win the supporters shield in new england and next saturdays game means nothing or win the supporters shield next saturday at bmo? i know what i want. i want to be entertained next saturday night with all the guys playing, a great game and a win. who cares about this game. no gio, no altidore, no mavinga, no zavaletta, no bono, 3 games in 7 days with long flight back from LA.

I happened to overtape todays game and got 1/2 hour of the argo game.
    ooh its bad, 200's seats on east side 99% empty, 100's seats on east side 75% empty
    supporters section 80% empty
    Don't pile on the Argos, you're better than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope TFC management dont get complacent, and that Altidore and Giovinco are miraculously healed for the next game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 things after watching the highlights: Kamara is handsy AF - man grabs everyone, Hasler's goal was really good - perfectly timed and a great touch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
    2 things after watching the highlights: Kamara is handsy AF - man grabs everyone, Hasler's goal was really good - perfectly timed and a great touch.
    Indeed! He was a great acquisition. Love seeing him in our eleven. He is very often quite dangerous as he is right where he needs to be in the box. Love that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    really would you have wanted them to win tonight and win the supporters shield in new england and next saturdays game means nothing or win the supp orters shield next saturday at bmo? i know what i want. i want to be entertained next saturday night with all the guys playing, a great game and a win. who cares about this game. no gio, no altidore, no mavinga, no zavaletta, no bono, 3 games in 7 days with long flight back from LA.

I'm pretty sure that TFC will win it by not even playing if MTL beats NYCFC on Wednesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    I'm pretty sure that TFC will win it by not even playing if MTL beats NYCFC on Wednesday.
    what would be the odds that MTL loses just to stick it to TFC, i mean they most likely not going to make the playoffs (at least i hope ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whositwhatnow View Post
    what would be the odds that MTL loses just to stick it to TFC, i mean they most likely not going to make the playoffs (at least i hope ).
    That thinking would be a little bit too self-absorbed. MTL care about themselves and their success, as do all teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    @redcoe tell us how you really feel. :-p
    After sleeping off an alcohol induced evening, I can tell you how I really feel: Very concerned!

Losing back to back games for the first time this year comes at the worst possible moment for our side. Near the end of the regular season. Our side was in very bad form with these loses, making boneheaded decisions that have turned into goals against. And even if we know when Seba and/or Jozy get back, will they both be at 100% with those nagging abdominal injuries of theirs? Have the Argos chewing up the BMO Field turf all season caused this? And what will the World Cup qualifiers have on the stamina of both Jozy and Bradley? What would happen if they have to play in November?

While this run the Reds have been on has been phenomenal, I fear that momentum may suddenly turn around and bite them on the ass. TFC will more than likely win the Supporters Shield, but that could be a kiss of death. Of the past 21 Shield winners in league history, only six have gone on to win the MLS Cup. The playoffs have shown to be an unpredictable beast. NYCFC could be motivated to avenge their elimination from last year by our side. Atlanta is a huge unknown playing with house money right now who drew TFC at BMO Field earlier this year. With that fake turf of theirs and that offense they play, they could be Chicago of '98 while we end up being the Galaxy of that same year. And while I feel a little easier against the likes of Columbus, NYRB, and even Chicago, I can't even be close to 100% certain.

Our side will go into the post season with a huge bullseye on their kits. TFC is the only team in the league that if they don't win the MLS Cup, it will be a huge disappointment. All the success they've had and the milestones they've reached this season will be for not without that important piece of silverware. I know that the players feel up to the challenge, but this bad form they've been on the last two matches is making me nervous.

I may have been a little over the top last night (alcohol will do that to you), but that's just because I care about this team called Toronto FC. I've seen so many lows over the years with this team that this high we've been experiencing this year something we've not been used to.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well a bad run indeed, I am not fussed we lost both games, rather how we lost them, bad defence. Although we had been winning and had clean sheets. I have been worried about Moor. I love the guy and he brings lots of intangibles to the field, but Father Time seems to be catching up to him. He has lost a step and attackers run right at him now, and he is backing up to much. Also not as strong in the box clearing the lines. He has been covered by Bradley ahead of him and Mavinga behind him.

I think we play better with Hernandez at centre back with Zavelta and Mavinga. Zavelta and Mavinga are more aggressive defenders with Hernandez behind them.

They need to focus on their defence in the last three games. It is not who finishes first but the hot team going into the playoffs that counts, we are not hot.
    Last edited by SKB; 09-24-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You know, I was on here all these years when it was Pollyanna-ville, and every obvious piece of stupidity was defended en masse...

Right now this is deja vu, but in reverse.

I seriously cannot believe what I am reading.

Total joke. I hope the players don't see this, and this isn't representative of what the fan base thinks
    We were missing multiple players and New England hasn't lost at home in twelve games. And even then, it required a couple of weak moments. People are seriously overreacting.

And noting that we wouldn't be nearly as good a team without Altidore, Seba and Vasquez is sort of self-evident. No team missing its three best attackers is as good.

I dunno man, maybe they're just panicking because of historical trauma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never thought that we would win every single game this year. Their run has been remarkable thus far this year. Yes, the result was a disappointment. Let's march onwards.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Redcoe here, I'm concerned.

It looks like Giovinco and Jozy were covering for a less than stellar defence and making them look better than they are by keeping the play in the opponents side. Even our two keepers gave up some pretty dodgy goals.

This much vaunted "depth" is an illusion. You can take out one key player and it's ok, two and it's much less sure, three and you have a below average side.

TFC needs to turn it around fast, can't have any further suspensions or injuries, and has to play to their top potential. Anything else and an Atlanta or a Vancouver gets the prize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't quite see it that way, but I do think they need a good performance and a win on Saturday to put this behind them. A lack of urgency and an overconfidence has crept into the play, ( Zavaleta and Beitashours errors versus Montreal, the terrible defending versus Kamara on NE's winning goals, and a number of examples of "after you Alphonse" from the midfield and defence.). I don't agree with the idea that Jody and Gio being unavailable has led to too much pressure and therefore breakdowns: we dominated possession and had more shots against Montreal, and the New England game was like ping pong until a fluke goal that Irwin might have stopped more times than not. We have lost something in mentality that we need to get back, and I think part of it is Bradley. He looks like he needs a mental break.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like Giovinco and Jozy were covering for a less than stellar defence and making them look better than they are by keeping the play in the opponents side. Even our two keepers gave up some pretty dodgy goals.

This much vaunted "depth" is an illusion. You can take out one key player and it's ok, two and it's much less sure, three and you have a below average side.

TFC needs to turn it around fast, can't have any further suspensions or injuries, and has to play to their top potential. Anything else and an Atlanta or a Vancouver gets the prize.
    Hrm. Questions about depth? Remember during May-June when Bradley/Altidore was off doing int games and Giovinco was out for a while and TFC managed to put together results?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a life long toronto resident and fan, this almost seems to be our luck. I would be lying if I said I didn't foresee a possible shitting of the bed after MTL netted their 5th against us. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is guilty of becoming overconfident. Before I get ripped apart for saying there's a chance we won't win the shield, could anyone have predicted what has transpired over the last two games? The bittersweet reality of the beautiful game. Anyone can win on any given day. That being said...

COYR LETS GET IT!!!!!
    TORORNT TILL I DIE!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of moving pieces here. Better attacking options have always made it easier for defenders.

Look, show me this team after a weeks rest with its best 11 on the field (or something close to it). If that goes badly I'll pull the fire alarm.

In the meantime, maybe "great" depth has come to look more average. That's pretty par for the course with this league.

Not long ago we were making short work of very good sides... things haven't changed that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But in New England it wasn't three, it was 6.

Gio
    Altidore
    Vazquez (partially - still recovering)
    Zavaleta
    Mavinga
    Bono

Other pieces missing - Hagglund and Hernandez - so you move Beit and Morrow to CB? That is way beyond "depth."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC has a full squad, they are the best team in MLS, by far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For everyone saying that this is the worst time possible for these results - T-T-T-L-T-W - that's how we ended the season last year. We didn't exactly storm into the playoffs, and it turned out pretty okay for us. Through 30 games they've shown me enough that I'm not ready to write off the season based on 2 pretty dismal displays without some very important players for us.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes