Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 72
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Your daughter's bedroom
    Posts
    828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default BMO Field - Future expansion/renovation thread

    With average regular season attendance this year likely to hit the 28,000 mark, how long do you think it will take before BMO Field engages in another round of capacity expansion (the stadium was designed with easy expansion in mind)? We will likely get some games for the 2026 World Cup, which seems to be a shoe-in for Canada-USA-Mexico's joint bid, so what capacity do you think we'll need (since the baseball-specific Rogers Centre is no longer an option). My expectation is 40,000 permanent seats by 2026, with construction possibly to begin in another 3 years. With the potential of a much larger TV contract in 2022, we need to prepare the good ship TFC for MLS 4.0...

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well first I think the Wolfpack needs to get the City and Liberty Village NIMBY groups to ok a expansion of Lampart Field to about 16,000.. on the condition the Argos can go there. Then we can tear out the south end put in safe standing (if the supporters want it) and put in a new north end that closes in the north west corner and hopefully can take the stadium up to about 35000-36000. Then tear down the upper deck of the west end expand it to mirror more closely the east stands and bring it up to 40,000 and put in new media stuff.

    That is the only way I can see it happening for World Cup minimum requirements.

    Though honestly get the Argos out put them in a 16,000 seat Lampart and they will feel more successful until they realize they are still the secondary tenant to a team from a British League.

    Then we can rebuild the north stands properly.

  3. #3
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sec. 112
    Posts
    2,518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Well first I think the Wolfpack needs to get the City and Liberty Village NIMBY groups to ok a expansion of Lampart Field to about 16,000.. on the condition the Argos can go there. Then we can tear out the south end put in safe standing (if the supporters want it) and put in a new north end that closes in the north west corner and hopefully can take the stadium up to about 35000-36000. Then tear down the upper deck of the west end expand it to mirror more closely the east stands and bring it up to 40,000 and put in new media stuff.

    That is the only way I can see it happening for World Cup minimum requirements.

    Though honestly get the Argos out put them in a 16,000 seat Lampart and they will feel more successful until they realize they are still the secondary tenant to a team from a British League.

    Then we can rebuild the north stands properly.
    Lamport.

    We're fine with our current capacity. The team is likely very interested in creating some sort of ticket scarcity and lets remember it was what.. maybe three years ago when we had games where maybe 14000 people showed up (not 'distributed attendance'). With that said, the stadium will probably undergo a substantial renovation a couple years leading up to the World Cup. I'd like to see the south end completed gutted and have them develop a steep safe standing section that would actually get a little closer to the roof.

    Still blows my damn mind that BMO Field will host World Cup games! I wonder if the stadium name sponsor will be worth significantly more because of it.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post

    Still blows my damn mind that BMO Field will host World Cup games! I wonder if the stadium name sponsor will be worth significantly more because of it.
    Tough to figure out, because the problem is it likely can't be called "BMO Field" during the World Cup itself!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Tough to figure out, because the problem is it likely can't be called "BMO Field" during the World Cup itself!
    If they go with what they have done in past World Cups, BMO would just become Toronto during broadcasts. They usual drop the stadium name in passing but the city gets the bigger recognition.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Lamport.
    I knew Lampart was wrong but I couldn't remember exactly and couldn't be bothered to look it up. Figured it was close that people would understand.

    The only reason to increase would be because FIFA require 40k minimum for world cup stadiums. If that is require there is no way for Toronto to Host without the increase.

    Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Tough to figure out, because the problem is it likely can't be called "BMO Field" during the World Cup itself!
    It would likely just be refered as the National Soccer Stadium as it was in the u20 world cup.

  7. #7
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mississauga / Sec. 111
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I feel as though MLSE would want to keep the permanent part of the BMO stands as is (maybe a few minor adds) only to keep the scarcity of tickets there and the demand up.

    For 2026, stadiums are allowed to use some temporary seating to boost capacity to the required levels.

    The one example I can find from 2014 in Brazil is the Arena Corinthians. Perm capacity is just over 43,000 and they added 20,000 temp seats to boost their number in order to have the opener, a round of 16 and a semi.
    Granted BMO isn't the same size (and for 2026 all knockout games will be in the USA), but the idea can still be used and BMO would only need about 10,000 seats in order to meet requirements.

    I say that a 40,000 total (Perm and Temp) seat BMO for Canada v. Who-ever would be better than anything bigger (with a greater potential for unsold seats).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

    AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

  8. #8
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sec. 112
    Posts
    2,518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I knew Lampart was wrong but I couldn't remember exactly and couldn't be bothered to look it up. Figured it was close that people would understand.

    The only reason to increase would be because FIFA require 40k minimum for world cup stadiums. If that is require there is no way for Toronto to Host without the increase.



    It would likely just be refered as the National Soccer Stadium as it was in the u20 world cup.
    Agreed and I'm aware of the 40k minimum. We just don't need 40,000 seats yet. Hopefully, by 2026 this isn't the case and the team could benefit from expanding to 40k.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can see the North End being Reno'ed. 4-5000 to bring it a capacity of 33-34,000. Close the gap on that side, and they can still put the bleachers when needed to get to 40,000. I don't want to see us in a 40,000 stadium with it looking 3/4 full or worse if we're bad. I agree with getting our season ticket waiting list back to respectable. Later down the road when TFC starts closing the gap with the Leafs and Jays, we can always Reno the south and possibly the north again

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lets not get ahead of ourselves. There will be nothing in the north-end as long as BMO is used for CFL games - which it will be for the foreseeable future.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    From what I have heard through the grapevine is there is already a plan in place to expand BMO to 40k plus. They just need the official awarding of the world cup to Canada/US/Mexico to be done. Then within a year or so they will potentially start the expansion to gain extra revenue for TFC as the majority of the funding is not from MLSE, it will be from the CSA and all levels of government.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Your daughter's bedroom
    Posts
    828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    From what I have heard through the grapevine is there is already a plan in place to expand BMO to 40k plus. They just need the official awarding of the world cup to Canada/US/Mexico to be done. Then within a year or so they will potentially start the expansion to gain extra revenue for TFC as the majority of the funding is not from MLSE, it will be from the CSA and all levels of government.
    I must be psychic...I saw this coming from a million miles away, time will tell but it all seems quite logical and the current MLSE brass are quite strategic.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    5,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Would think a upper South End deck is certain with any kind of expansion. Perhaps build it with a overhang over the sidewalks outside the current fenceline? Can't see the footprint expanding south unless the road is closed.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 116
    Posts
    827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    From what I have heard through the grapevine is there is already a plan in place to expand BMO to 40k plus. They just need the official awarding of the world cup to Canada/US/Mexico to be done. Then within a year or so they will potentially start the expansion to gain extra revenue for TFC as the majority of the funding is not from MLSE, it will be from the CSA and all levels of government.
    I suppose the West side would be the first to be expanded/renovated to keep up with the East side (suites/concessions). But would expanding the west get the stadium to 40K? I would assume that there must be a retractable North Deck in the cards (especially if they plan of keeping the Argos @ BMO. Unless the Argos are looking at York U or Lamport with the Wolfpack.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Tough to figure out, because the problem is it likely can't be called "BMO Field" during the World Cup itself!
    Very true. When I watched a U-20 Women's World Cup there, EVERY possible reference to BMO was removed or taped over.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mississauga | Section 221
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    From what I have heard through the grapevine is there is already a plan in place to expand BMO to 40k plus. They just need the official awarding of the world cup to Canada/US/Mexico to be done. Then within a year or so they will potentially start the expansion to gain extra revenue for TFC as the majority of the funding is not from MLSE, it will be from the CSA and all levels of government.
    Would the government funding also cover the possibility of adding a north canopy? Or will that have to be on the hands of MLSE?

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Would the government funding also cover the possibility of adding a north canopy? Or will that have to be on the hands of MLSE?
    I haven't actually seen the drawings yet... But from my understanding is that they would get "x" amount of dollars from the CSA and all levels of government for the renovations. Then MLSE would say we are going to do the following renos and kick in the balance of the monies required.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mississauga | Section 221
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BMO Field 2026 World Cup renders just released. Hoping they can connect the north end with the rest of the bowl. https://www.bmofield.com/events/fifa26

  19. #19
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    10,894
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The official rendition photos.





    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The official rendition photos.




    Well that doesn't look nice at all.

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Well that doesn't look nice at all.
    So having a ticket in row 168 with cars driving under you on Princess blvd isnít appealing?

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sec 126
    Posts
    804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am not sure how much effort was put into these renders. There’s no jumbotron in any of the renders and they look quickly put together.

    The South end in the renders are different different from each other too. In one photo, there are windows beneath the temp stands and in the other there are not.

    Hopefully, the final design is better or this may be the ugliest stadium to host a WC game in recent years. The budget for reno is $64 million.

  23. #23
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Those renders are terrible. They shouldnít have even bothered.

  24. #24
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    19,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeh, never trust renderings.


    Things I see missing that would give us an understanding of what is going on

    West side press boxes / press desks (they HAVE to be expanded for the WC)

    North side full head on shot or side shot



    ***

    There is a rumour Toronto is in the running for the first game of the WC. Victor M is going to get the backdrop of the BC mountains for the WC draw & then Toronto's skyline & lakeshore views for the first game.

    We forget how unique a lakefront stadium is.

    *********

    I would also note John Tory going on about how Toronto is going to show the world a "show they have never seen before" - he has no clue - other WC venues include cities that do the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-19-2022 at 08:32 AM.

  25. #25
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, never trust renderings.


    Things I see missing that would give us an understanding of what is going on

    West side press boxes / press desks (they HAVE to be expanded for the WC)

    North side full head on shot or side shot



    ***

    There is a rumour Toronto is in the running for the first game of the WC. Victor M is going to get the backdrop of the BC mountains for the WC draw & then Toronto's skyline & lakeshore views for the first game.

    We forget how unique a lakefront stadium is.

    *********

    I would also note John Tory going on about how Toronto is going to show the world a "show they have never seen before" - he has no clue - other WC venues include cities that do the Super Bowl.
    Renders are supposed to make things look better than they end up in real life to get people excited about the project. Not make it look worse!

    Will be interesting if Exhibition Station is in full construction at that point too. We canít seem to get anything quite right on these kinds of things in Toronto.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wonder if the second hotel and video game theatre will be complete by 2026. Getting to and from games between now and then should be fun with all the construction planned.

    Also for the amount of cash being spent on renos and initial construction we could have had a red bulls arena

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think I was expecting a bit more. Usually Toronto goes over the top for this sort of thing. I thought maybe they'd have put more effort into the north end to finish what they started. If the Argos are staying I thought maybe another canopy and permanent retractable safe standing as a bare minimum. After that I don't care how cheap they went. On the other end of the scale I'd maybe even have cantilevered it over the north end and attach it to the food building for an indoor fan expo/media centre/or player warmup area type of thing and dress it up a bit for foreigners coming off the train.

    I think it would have been nice to get a permanent World Cup legacy piece out of this (north end upgrade) but the renderings leave me a little underwhelmed
    Last edited by buddies; 06-19-2022 at 02:45 PM.

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Until there's a development application, I wouldn't put too much faith into this

  29. #29
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    19,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Until there's a development application, I wouldn't put too much faith into this
    Oh plans are long past the application stage



    https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-222930.pdf


    2024
    • Capital construction at Stadium commences
    • Provide update to Council through the 2025 budget process
    2025
    • Capital construction at Training Sites and BMO Field commences
    • Temporary seating expansion installation commences at Stadium (impacts on Exhibition Place service capacity until post-World Cup)

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So itís a sure thing this expansion will be just temporary stands ? If thatís the case why bother, give all the games to Vancouver and let it be. I was hoping for a permanent expansion and upgrade not some temporary fix for the worlds biggest sporting event. A lost opportunity if this expansion is all temporary seating . A complete joke if this is the case.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •