Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    So it’s a sure thing this expansion will be just temporary stands ? If that’s the case why bother, give all the games to Vancouver and let it be. I was hoping for a permanent expansion and upgrade not some temporary fix for the worlds biggest sporting event. A lost opportunity if this expansion is all temporary seating . A complete joke if this is the case.
    I respectfully disagree.
    I care about the World Cup for much more than increased stadium capacity.

There's no advantage to extra capacity unless the current stadium is constantly sold out, which it isn't. All unused extra capacity does is to kill atmosphere.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who know with BS BILL,he said a few months ago with the world cup coming the club wants to take advantage ,spent big on players,sell more seats 40k increase revenue,he also said we were getting safe standing stands a few years ago and we we wouldnt notice that the argos are playing at bmo,

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it’s a sure thing this expansion will be just temporary stands ? If that’s the case why bother, give all the games to Vancouver and let it be. I was hoping for a permanent expansion and upgrade not some temporary fix for the worlds biggest sporting event. A lost opportunity if this expansion is all temporary seating . A complete joke if this is the case.
    didn't bill manning recently say that the goal is to grow the club so the demand is there in 2026 to make the extra seating permanent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Renders are supposed to make things look better than they end up in real life to get people excited about the project. Not make it look worse!

Will be interesting if Exhibition Station is in full construction at that point too. We can’t seem to get anything quite right on these kinds of things in Toronto.
    Since the 1960’s it’s been recognized that the most grand Toronto buildings/building projects are the ones planned but never built. Our current stadium was not even planned and so I’m not expecting much. All the same, even in her first year of the rickety, tin can stadium it was good to attend a match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're not adding permanent seating to the north end, atleast complete a permanent roof. It'll make the stadium look so much better with that alone. If im not mistaken those were part of the original expansion plans, but it never happened. Design: BMO Field – StadiumDB.com
    Last edited by nick.mastro; 06-20-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some images on what the proposed improvements to BMo will look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll say it again Toronto supposedly a world class city lol, we will have the worst stadium in 2026 , basically an American high school football stadium with temporary bleachers hosting a World Cup . Save face and pull out now if they are not doing this renovation right.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 06-20-2022 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll say it again Toronto supposedly a world class city lol, we will have the worst stadium in 2026 , basically an American high school football stadium with temporary bleachers hosting a World Cup . Save face and pull out now if they are not doing this renovation right.
    None of the stadiums for 2026 are perfect. Most are NFL stadiums designed for the NFL (tailgating, artificial turf) and not for football. The best part about BMO Field is that it's one of the few stadiums on the list that's actually built for football and relatively centrally located with a vibrant bar life in Liberty Village (to the chagrin of residents during match days) and good public transit access.

Now I will grant you really mean that we're the worst stadium for TV, and that would be true, since MLS is nowhere near the same calibur of leagues as Top 5 UEFA leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the enercare centre and the Ricoh coliseum and even the concert venues at Ontario place they should be able to create a lot of added events around the stadium, make it one huge World Cup event space that is one thing BMO has going for it

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    With the enercare centre and the Ricoh coliseum and even the concert venues at Ontario place they should be able to create a lot of added events around the stadium, make it one huge World Cup event space that is one thing BMO has going for it
    The city is required to provide a "a 34 day FIFA FanFest"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    None of the stadiums for 2026 are perfect. Most are NFL stadiums designed for the NFL (tailgating, artificial turf) and not for football. The best part about BMO Field is that it's one of the few stadiums on the list that's actually built for football and relatively centrally located with a vibrant bar life in Liberty Village (to the chagrin of residents during match days) and good public transit access.

Now I will grant you really mean that we're the worst stadium for TV, and that would be true, since MLS is nowhere near the same calibur of leagues as Top 5 UEFA leagues.
    I think you need to take a look at this video.

BMO field is by far the worst stadium to host a world cup game, its an embarrassment.

Last edited by Richard; 06-21-2022 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think you need to take a look at this video.

BMO field is by far the worst stadium to host a world cup game, its an embarrassment.

I like football to be played on grass so for me the first 3 and the last one are the best.

Really a World Cup game at foxbourgh. That’s an embarrassment.

But it would be good to use this to complete BMO and make the North end less bleak.
    Last edited by CorrwgBach; 06-21-2022 at 07:13 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is the only actual football stadium among north of Mexico in that group

BMO is NEVER an embarassment compared to NFL & CFL domes.

Its our house, and I for one welcome its weirdness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Going to have to disagree. Would love to see this look good but the images are already poor and you know the final product is rarely as shown in concepts. This is the World Cup and we’re brining people to a frankenstadium in the biggest City in Canada, that’s embarrassing. Also those sight lights from the south end look pretty terrible with the roof obstructing the view.

I think it’s ok to want to show off and have infrastructure that is impressive and leading edge as opposed to being just good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And CFL stadium …unfortunately

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I wonder if the second hotel and video game theatre will be complete by 2026. Getting to and from games between now and then should be fun with all the construction planned.

Also for the amount of cash being spent on renos and initial construction we could have had a red bulls arena
    Yeah. I was there on Saturday. It's a fantastic stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because BMO field is the only soccer specific stadium does not make it better than any of the NFL stadiums. BMO field is for MLS 1.0, not world cup, tear it down and build a proper stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way I would want to be in an NFL stadium for soccer.

AND, MLS 1.0 IS NFL stadiums (and baseball fields).

I LIKE our quirky stadium with its weird angles & view of the city & the lake. Yup, its got issues, with cracks and the north end.

But its not a dump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard the way it is now, makes it classify as an open stadium. Which means more relaxed fire code rules.
    If all corners were filled with seating. It wouldn't be consider open stadium in Ontario fire code

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Just because BMO field is the only soccer specific stadium does not make it better than any of the NFL stadiums. BMO field is for MLS 1.0, not world cup, tear it down and build a proper stadium.
    No way I would want to be in an NFL stadium for soccer.

AND, MLS 1.0 IS NFL stadiums (and baseball fields).

I LIKE our quirky stadium with its weird angles & view of the city & the lake. Yup, its got issues, with cracks and the north end.

But its not a dump.

BMO is MLS 2.0. OK, so we're at MLS 3.0 now and it's not the flashiest... but Richard have you ever been to Stade Saputo? BMO Field looks like a palace by comparison.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha Stade Saputo is MLS 1.5
    Although I did enjoy it the one time I went...
    However if I was a season seat holder I wouldn't enjoy it as I do BMO field and it's surrounding area

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    BMO is MLS 2.0. OK, so we're at MLS 3.0 now and it's not the flashiest... but Richard have you ever been to Stade Saputo? BMO Field looks like a palace by comparison.
    Not sure I agree. Three of their four sides are together, with there just being a gap beside the away end.
    We have 4 (3) entirely separate stands. Now I know that this is quite common in the UK, but you have to fill in the ends of the stands with a translucent material which lets i the light but not the wind and rain.
    We were at DC the other day - that's a really quirky stadium.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    Not sure I agree. Three of their four sides are together, with there just being a gap beside the away end.
    We have 4 (3) entirely separate stands. Now I know that this is quite common in the UK, but you have to fill in the ends of the stands with a translucent material which lets i the light but not the wind and rain.
    With State Saputo the facilities (food, washrooms, etc) are really sub-par. You don't see that on TV, but trust me it's not great. Joey Saputo built it on a really tight budget and it shows.

DC's current stadium may be "quirky" but when they were at RFK it was league-renowned as being a dump. It even featured as a dystopian picture in a non-soccer related book I read years ago (a side-story had the lead character take in a DC United game). That stadium was demolished when they left. I was happy for them when they got their new place.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-22-2022 at 10:54 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The stadium with the giant porta potties? No thanks, not going back to that glorified tin can in the future!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    Keeps the sound in too. Makes the place louder. The roofs over our stands do none of that. Should have been built for sound amplification for a bit more atmosphere. As for the one in the south end I have no idea wtf that thing is for. It barely covers the existing seats. Should have gone right to the back of the concourse. When they add the seats for the world cup it's going to look stupid and cheap just like it did when they had the outdoor Leaf game and that beauty cup game against Montreal.

All I can say is it's very disappointing that they're going to spend all of that money for 2026 and throw it all away after. What a feckin waste! It just would've been nice to get a legacy feature out of the world cup ... for example another undersized stupid looking roof in the north that sits way to high in the air or enclose the ends of the existing stands to keep the sound in. I'd even settle for a few more washrooms.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The level of grumpiness is a bit astounding.

I was at BMO before and after the roof. It DOES help alot with the sound. At least on the east & west side; not so sure about the south.

I like the way the stadium looks. Yeah hopefully they do something good in the north end. I bet the west side will be fixed up as well.

Does anyone know if they will be putting temporary grass in all those plastic turf NFL stadiums?

You know what I like? That we're not giving multi-billionaires billions of dollars to build fancy stadiums for 5 WC games, and for them to make their money the rest of the time. (Or in the case of a dedicated MLS stadium, to sit mostly empty. Nobody is selling out NFL-sized stadiums for footy outside of the WC. I believe even the Atlanta attendance has dropped a great deal.) Yeah there are lots of problems in Canada as well, but not that bad. Look around the world, the "legacy" of many past Word Cups and Olympics is just dismal. Just an astounding waste of money when there are FAR bigger problems to deal with.

People seem to forget the "beautiful" Ekaterinburg stadium expansion for the WC. There have been some other doozies over the years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...World-Cup.html

PS Oh and by the way, the open-air stadiums that are completely closed around the sides are disgusting on a day like today, both for fans and players. It's nice to have some airflow.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-22-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    You know what I like? That we're not giving multi-billionaires billions of dollars to build fancy stadiums for 5 WC games, and for them to make their money the rest of the time. (Or in the case of a dedicated MLS stadium, to sit mostly empty. Nobody is selling out NFL-sized stadiums for footy outside of the WC. I believe even the Atlanta attendance has dropped a great deal.) Yeah there are lots of problems in Canada as well, but not that bad. Look around the world, the "legacy" of many past Word Cups and Olympics is just dismal. Just an astounding waste of money when there are FAR bigger problems to deal with.
    Canada does not have a single modern world class outdoor sports facility. Not one. That's an embarrassment.

The World Cup was award in 2018-2020. During these years there should have been a concerted effort to build a landmark stadium similar to a Wembley in UK but in Canada, maybe not as cavernous but somewhat smaller scope.

Instead we are going to get a 45K BMO field that look's bad as a showpiece for the city and taken apart.

To those complaining about empty seats at TFC games, where is the ambition? If you do not build the capacity you will never have the opportunity to expand and reach the potential. We will always be stuck with limited potential.

In 2007 many investors did not see the potential in soccer so I understand why BMO is the way it is, but the league has moved one, new TV deals. It's time TFC start fulfilling its potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And MLS won't be on linear tv in future.
    MLS signed deal stream deal with apple tv and DAZN.
    Disappointed in MLS greed as I'm not a tv streamer.
    But the investor now get more money, so they can afford empty seats

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the World Cup, the Dome was a better choice. Bring in grass, create modified endzones to bring fans closer to pitxh. Seats more, has the boxes, better concourses, better transit, etc. BMO couldve been a training ground.
    The issues with BMO is a permanent expansion isnt needed for TFC or the Argos. So we're stuck with temp stands for the world cup. The west concourse needs a total overhaul, probably need better VIP areas, and a new press box and video board. Not to mention public transit connections, a solution to the tunnel etc.
    I strongly doubt we will only get 2 huge temp stands as indicated by the pictures released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    For the World Cup, the Dome was a better choice. Bring in grass, create modified endzones to bring fans closer to pitxh. Seats more, has the boxes, better concourses, better transit, etc. BMO couldve been a training ground.
    The issues with BMO is a permanent expansion isnt needed for TFC or the Argos. So we're stuck with temp stands for the world cup. The west concourse needs a total overhaul, probably need better VIP areas, and a new press box and video board. Not to mention public transit connections, a solution to the tunnel etc.
    I strongly doubt we will only get 2 huge temp stands as indicated by the pictures released.
    Transit there is pretty good. The province needs to get Exhibition Station at least built in time for it though. That will solve the tunnel issues and at least make the GO a better experience.

For reference here's what is planned:

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/03/2...ings-released/
    Last edited by Canary10; 06-22-2022 at 02:10 PM.