Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FIFA WC26, BMO Field expansion/facility updates, Toronto City Council support... the bombshell's fallout... the politics... just got interesting; no more steady as she goes... let the chaos begin and reign. It may turn into a turf war now; a hot potato issue. With realpolitik implications for MLSE/TFC.

Oh boy. Oh no, say it ain't so. The fall-out of this developing matter may have collateral implications. Seems MLSE, possibly the Rogers faction, may be unwitting participants in this bombshell. Seems one of this story's two subjects were, either self- or by another conveniently, extracted out of the situation and into a new job there.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-14-2023 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting graphic of WC26 match locations for the visually inclined...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Interesting graphic of WC26 match locations for the visually inclined...

When did Toronto move into the middle of Lake Huron?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like there's a new North bench

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to get rid of that general admission and just have a retractable North bench for games. Would look so much better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    They need to get rid of that general admission and just have a retractable North bench for games. Would look so much better
    I would not be surprised if for now a few of the minds in the TFC organization may equate the 'General Admission Area' as a 'Safe Standing Space'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not be surprised if for now a few of the minds in the TFC organization may equate the 'General Admission Area' as a 'Safe Standing Space'.
    Would not be surprised. It would even look nicer with the red seats, section 130 to just continue across to 101

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 years and still waiting on south end safe standing

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This tidbit from the Molinaro interview with Manning

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/tfc-mls-bill-manning/

When do the renovations to BMO Field for the 2026 World Cup begin to take place?
    Likely not until the year before. There’s still a lot of planning for how we can enhance the size of the stadium to meet FIFA requirements. There’ll be some different modifications to BMO Field. But none of that happens until 2025.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The interpretation that the north end needed to go or TFC would have been kicked out is revisionism.

At the time, it was not 100% certain the Argos would go to BMO - however, it was 100% certain TFC would stay.

That having been said, there is a way of having a full north end without using the CFL endzone - but that would require the land north of the current stadium gates between the stadium & the food building.

I would note we have yet to see any renderings of what the stadium will look like for the World Cup. And Manning indicated nothing would be going on in that regard until 2025. I expect Russia 18 style seating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it we are fine on the south end with those rows of seats that can be retracted but couldn't make it work on the north end? I don't buy that as a reason at all. We've a tendency to want to blame the Argos for everything for some reason but this doesn't make any sense to me. We've proven we know how to do this on the south end, have we not? So if we wanted too, we could have a north end and it would work. Is there a part I'm missing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The interpretation that the north end needed to go or TFC would have been kicked out is revisionism. At the time, it was not 100% certain the Argos would go to BMO - however, it was 100% certain TFC would stay. That having been said, there is a way of having a full north end without using the CFL endzone - but that would require the land north of the current stadium gates between the stadium & the food building. I would note we have yet to see any renderings of what the stadium will look like for the World Cup. And Manning indicated nothing would be going on in that regard until 2025. I expect Russia 18 style seating.
    Yes, no, maybe... on the revisionism. IIRC, there was no ideal/public clarity on the matter; rather lots of speculation and obfuscation going on. The latter by whom? Most likely MLSE; the entity to benefit most from such murkiness. Still, at that time, one of several prevalent suspicions was there was municipal council- board/s- CNE votes tied to any BMO expansion/upgrade that apparently hinged on the political desire of some that the CFL/Argo's stay in Toronto-downtown; ergo to be eventually folded structurally- facility, operations and/or ownership- wise somehow into the MLSE 'family'. I will concede this was convenient 'cover' for MLSE against supporter backlash. However, if there was indeed a 'backroom deal' to the matter, than the only leverage against MLSE was not to cooperate with/grant support for their expansion/upgrade plans. So, yes, not kicked out, but MLSE, their TFC business, would have been stymied and they would have eventually needed to move; so forced to leave... kicked out?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-11-2023 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Why is it we are fine on the south end with those rows of seats that can be retracted but couldn't make it work on the north end? I don't buy that as a reason at all. We've a tendency to want to blame the Argos for everything for some reason but this doesn't make any sense to me. We've proven we know how to do this on the south end, have we not? So if we wanted too, we could have a north end and it would work. Is there a part I'm missing?
    It may cost an arm and a leg... politically and financially... since, as OtG correctly suggests, MLSE/TFC 'would require the land north of the current stadium gates between the stadium & the food building'. IIUC, MLSE does not 'own' the stadium, certainly not the land it is on; they just run the facility for the city. For or giving up, depending on the perspective, 'a piece of the action/pie'. MLSE/TFC would have to renegotiate that deal with the city; likely not to their favour and for a pound of flesh.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-11-2023 at 12:06 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The interpretation that the north end needed to go or TFC would have been kicked out is revisionism.

At the time, it was not 100% certain the Argos would go to BMO - however, it was 100% certain TFC would stay.

That having been said, there is a way of having a full north end without using the CFL endzone - but that would require the land north of the current stadium gates between the stadium & the food building.

I would note we have yet to see any renderings of what the stadium will look like for the World Cup. And Manning indicated nothing would be going on in that regard until 2025. I expect Russia 18 style seating.
    I know it sounds crazy but figure out how to make the Food Building part on the experience on game days. We have enough smart people, i cant believe that it cannot be done and get some sort of semi/permanent seating or safe standing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The food building has to be used when the world cup temp stand goes up. But otherwise it would involve alot of extra security and maintenance costs etc for a TFC gameday.
    The stadium wasn't full yesterday. We dont need a new stand, or even an expansion.
    We do need a new concourse on the west stand, and more entrance gates.
    And a solution to the tunnel, whatever they tried yesterday fencing everyone in, isnt it. But at least it seems MLSE/GO has finally acknowledged there is an issue with the tunnel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update ... Key, surrounding stadium infrastructure...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    The food building has to be used when the world cup temp stand goes up. But otherwise it would involve alot of extra security and maintenance costs etc for a TFC gameday.
    The stadium wasn't full yesterday. We dont need a new stand, or even an expansion.
    We do need a new concourse on the west stand, and more entrance gates.
    And a solution to the tunnel, whatever they tried yesterday fencing everyone in, isnt it. But at least it seems MLSE/GO has finally acknowledged there is an issue with the tunnel.
    The long-term solution to the tunnel is the Ontario Line/GO Exhibition Station. I just hope they can get that built in advance of the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Looks like there's a new North bench
    Received an email from TFC early this afternoon that is related to, seems to confirm, after a month, Sn0re's post...

'We are adding to the lower level! New seating locations are now available for purchase in the North Grandstand (Sections 131-134) starting with our match on Saturday, April 1st'.

Edit: rydermike has already just mentioned this in another thread.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-18-2023 at 03:23 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update ... Key, surrounding stadium infrastructure...

Should've done this with the expansion of the stadium.

Hardly believe they've finally started.

Miracles do happen
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Should've done this with the expansion of the stadium.

Hardly believe they've finally started.

Miracles do happen
    Only because the Ontario Line is being built. And only because there are going to have to be closures of the tunnel occasionally during construction. That new bridge structure they are building is only temporary, for a few years.

On the bright side - around the end of the decade, we'll end up with a real station!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuesday's lineup mess to get in has a lot of people spitting bullets on the Vs board.

One of the interesting suggestions there is to integrate the Food building into the North End reno, and, if you are going to make thousands stand in line in grim weather, at least funnel the lines through there.

It does get you thinking about that Food building - I mean, how important is it really to the Ex? There are other solutions for Tiny Tom donuts in the ground somewhere…

Anhyhow, my grand idea, borrowing liberally/entirely from others, is that you knock down the Food building and rebuild it as an integrated part of BMO (maybe that helps it be convention space or something too), then you have somewhere indoors for ticket lines to go…. and you can then do what you need to do, to fill in all the corners and have a proper stadium feel…
    Last edited by ensco; 03-30-2023 at 07:03 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The food building is the most visited building at the Ex - the revenue from what is sold on there is necessary to keep the Ex going.

You go to the Ex, you eat there.

A hall of eating can be integrated better with BMO field but that would require imagination & effort &...to be blunt...the powers that be in this city & province would rather spend time at the cottage then think outside the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Only because the Ontario Line is being built. And only because there are going to have to be closures of the tunnel occasionally during construction. That new bridge structure they are building is only temporary, for a few years.

On the bright side - around the end of the decade, we'll end up with a real station!

When the Ontario Line is done, I will literally have two subway stations at my doorstep (Leslieville and East Harbour) that will drop me off at BMO Field for TFC games in about 15-20 minutes. ATM there is no easy way to go from the east side of downtown to BMO Field by TTC, so I am only driving.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The food building is the most visited building at the Ex - the revenue from what is sold on there is necessary to keep the Ex going.

You go to the Ex, you eat there.

A hall of eating can be integrated better with BMO field but that would require imagination & effort &...to be blunt...the powers that be in this city & province would rather spend time at the cottage then think outside the box.
    I have always wondered why the didn't copy some of the ideas you see in some newer American stadiums and incorporate The Food Building into BMO's north end as a food & drink building and also for separate events. You are right that it is the Ex's cash cow but that seems a waste for a few weeks a year. You fix it up good and it could be used for corporate events, wedding receptions, meetings/business presentations, etc on top of having a better spread for TFC/Argo matches as well as an alternative to the outdoor square by Scotiabank for Leafs, Raptors, or Blue Jays playoff matches. Seems under ultilized for something that could be good. I am sure you could rent space to private vendors as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Tuesday's lineup mess to get in has a lot of people spitting bullets on the Vs board.

One of the interesting suggestions there is to integrate the Food building into the North End reno, and, if you are going to make thousands stand in line in grim weather, at least funnel the lines through there.

It does get you thinking about that Food building - I mean, how important is it really to the Ex? There are other solutions for Tiny Tom donuts in the ground somewhere…

Anhyhow, my grand idea, borrowing liberally/entirely from others, is that you knock down the Food building and rebuild it as an integrated part of BMO (maybe that helps it be convention space or something too), then you have somewhere indoors for ticket lines to go…. and you can then do what you need to do, to fill in all the corners and have a proper stadium feel…
    Tuesday was a complete joke, we got there 35 minutes early and just barely got there for the anthems.

It would be great if we didn't completely destroy the building (nostalgia) but very kewl to add it to a game day experience. Never thought of lines flowing through it to get into the stadium. Nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going way off topic but in general the whole exhibition area always seems like an absurd waste of land to me. In a city with a housing crisis, where land is so precious, to dedicate that amount of (absolutely prime, waterside and very well connected) space to buildings, parking lots and roads that are completely empty for 95% of the year? Seems insane to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Going way off topic but in general the whole exhibition area always seems like an absurd waste of land to me. In a city with a housing crisis, where land is so precious, to dedicate that amount of (absolutely prime, waterside and very well connected) space to buildings, parking lots and roads that are completely empty for 95% of the year? Seems insane to me
    I agree. Plus the huge Ontario Place parking lots right across the street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I agree. Plus the huge Ontario Place parking lots right across the street.
    Or the rest of Ontario Place rotting away. What city let’s their best assets go fallow?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Or the rest of Ontario Place rotting away. What city let’s their best assets go fallow?
    It is provincial land, and Dougie wants a casino, padding some donors pockets ) :

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!