Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2017 playoff discussion thread

Here's a central thread for playoff discussions.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The schedule

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...e-played-dec-9

Subject to change. Canadian and international broadcast information to be announced at a later date. KNOCKOUT ROUND
    Conference third seed vs. sixth, and fourth seed vs. fifth seed in a single-game elimination match

• Eastern and Western Conference Knockout Round (4 games)
      • Wed, Oct 25 - Times TBD - UniMás
      • Wed, Oct 25 - Times TBD - UniMás
      • Thu, Oct 26 - Times TBD - UniMás, FS1 or ESPN2
      • Thu, Oct 26 - Times TBD - UniMás, FS1 or ESPN2

CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS
    Two-game series, aggregate-goal format between conference top seed vs. lowest advancing seed from Knockout Round and conference second seed vs. highest seed from Knockout Round

• Eastern Conference Semifinal Series: Leg 1 (2 games)
      • Mon, Oct 30 - Time TBD - FS1
      • Tue, Oct 31 - Time TBD - ESPN

• Eastern Conference Semifinal Series: Leg 2 (2 games)
      • Sun, Nov 5 - Time TBD - ESPN or FS1

• Western Conference Semifinal Series: Leg 1 (2 games)
      • Sun, Oct 29 - 5:00 PM ET - ESPN
      • Tue, Oct 31 - Time TBD - FS1

• Western Conference Semifinal Series: Leg 2 (2 games)

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS
    Two-game series, aggregate-goal format

• Eastern Conference Championship
      • Leg 1: Tue, Nov 21 - 8:00 PM ET - ESPN
      • Leg 2: Nov 28 or 29 - Time TBD - FS1

• Western Conference Championship
      • Leg 1: Tue, Nov 21 - Time TBD - FS1
      • Leg 2: Thu, Nov 30 - Time TBD - ESPN

2017 MLS CUP
    Hosted at the home venue of the finalist with the best regular season record

• Sat, Dec 9 - 4:00 PM ET - ESPN, UniMás, TSN, TVA Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's 50/50 that TFC will play their first playoff game away on Halloween.
    I wouldn't have put a game on Halloween night if I were them. That could really affect the gate for that game, games in Chicago and Columbus are 80% families. They should have gone Sunday/Monday, not Monday/Tuesday.

Guessing that Sunday Nov 5 game here will be played at 8pm, given (i) domestic mega ratings last year, and 8pm is a prime TV slot, and (ii) Raps have a home game at 6pm on the 5th.

TFC in playoffs should do fine against NFL Sunday night in Canada. NFL Sunday night drew 350K on average last year (late afternoon NFL game is much stronger in ratings, closer to a million). There are no eastern conference markets playing in 4pm NFL games that day, so the league don't have to think too much about the other matchup.

So weather could be a factor right out of the gate. Neither the NYCFC or Montreal home playoff games were overly affected last year, but it can be miserable in early November at 8pm on the lakeshore.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-15-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC has home advantage by winning the supporters shield, does it get the second leg all the way through?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If TFC has home advantage by winning the supporters shield, does it get the second leg all the way through?
    Yes. Top seed plays second game at home. Only real value is that extra time in second leg, if it happens, is at home. (Which, come to think of it, can come in handy......)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wrote what was essentially an opus about last year's playoffs, specifically how magical it was as a spectacle and how unlikely it was we'd all ever go through something like that. got deleted by accident.

I'm not going to write it out all again but the link below was done by someone in my section and covers to an extent most of the feelings I have about that night. Nothing will ever give me the same feeling of belonging, Of Euphoria, of solidarity and community as that night did - from the insane march into the stadium, to the rollercoaster ride happening on the pitch, to the rainy walk to Joe's where we sang songs to our new heroes, putting themselves forever in the lore of Toronto football club.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&

II'm all for crushing every team in the playoffs on our way to the cup. That would certainly be a party in the stands and deserved by the team. But there's something about really Earning that win and to and lesser extent those series that really made it feel special. We had to have that run specifically to have this team this year.

*I'm not mentioning Seattle. IMO the real final was the conference finals. I'd imagine most people here would agree.*
    Last edited by molenshtain; 09-15-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like the second half of the 2017 regular season has just been a kind of extension of the 2016 playoff party.

We have had 6 or 7 games since the all star break where we just pasted good opposition. If anything, our level of dominance is just getting bigger.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-15-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did they push the conference finals back so late? They could have moved them up to the 18th and had the MLS cup finished by Dec 2. That week could be the difference between a 5C game and a -5C game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Why did they push the conference finals back so late? They could have moved them up to the 18th and had the MLS cup finished by Dec 2. That week could be the difference between a 5C game and a -5C game.
    TV. They want those conf final games far away from peak college football and NFL so no Sat/Sun in November.

We changed their thinking with the ratings we got midweek last year.

College football conference championships are all on Sat Dec 2. Nobody wants to see FC Dallas up against a Texas-Oklahoma Big 12 title game.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-15-2017 at 12:01 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Give players a week to recover from international duty and fly to wherever they need to get to.

Don't forget, some teams will still not charter in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not 100% sure that having the second leg at hom is always an advantage. I think I'd rather the top seed have the choice of playing home or away first. Against certain sides it might be better to rack up a lead in the first leg which will demoralize the opponents to the point they themselves feel the tie is over.

Anyway it's a mute point, we've still gotta clinch that shield first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    I'm not 100% sure that having the second leg at hom is always an advantage. I think I'd rather the top seed have the choice of playing home or away first. Against certain sides it might be better to rack up a lead in the first leg which will demoralize the opponents to the point they themselves feel the tie is over.

Anyway it's a mute point, we've still gotta clinch that shield first
    Agree to disagree.
    In the whole world in any two-legged knock-out competition having the second leg at home is considered an advantage.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, wondering if there are any plans to expand the seating for this year's playoffs? We know from experience we can get 10,000 more out.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So, wondering if there are any plans to expand the seating for this year's playoffs? We know from experience we can get 10,000 more out.
    They have been discussing options. I've read that they might add up to 10,000 seats.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have been discussing options. I've read that they might add up to 10,000 seats.
    Awesome! That would be amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a good bit of business if they add seats, not only from gate revenue but also some of those band wagoners will decide to get ST next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    That is a good bit of business if they add seats, not only from gate revenue but also some of those band wagoners will decide to get ST next season.

2018 seasons tickets are already sold out, they would have to join the waitlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I didn't know that! That's incredible!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    MLS Cup finals had 36,045 and this last week was 28, 979. So really the extra seats brought in about 7000ish. If we host the finals there is going to be real terrible ticket scarcity. Stub Hub prices will be out of this world and scalpers will be elated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus is the team I don’t want to see. Tough defensive team. Quietly hotter than Atlanta right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I didn't know that! That's incredible!
    It really is. When the first made the announcement at one of the games a couple months ago I thought I misheard. The city has truly rallied around this team and I hope the support continues for years to come.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    They advertised joining the waitlist for 2018, but since the renewal period some have come up - or maybe the club released some more tickets.

I just checked, and there are memberships for sale.

Sec 205 27 seats
    Sec 206 2 seats
    Sec 207 3 seats
    Sec 208 37 seats
    Sec 209 83 seats
    Sec 210 59 seats
    Sec 211 10 seats
    Sec 224 1 seat - Going for $1579 fwiw.

So a total of 222 seats left. That's not a bad re-up!
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want the playoff picture to be more clear but alas, we will have to wait.

Right now the East is almost locked up - just jockeying for position now. If NYRB wins this weekend, then we'll know WHO is in the playoffs in our conference, just not WHERE they land.

The west, well someone on here referred to it as the WILD WILD WEST, and that's what it is. Vancouver is the only team to have clinched, but you know that ONE OF Portland, Sporting or Seattle are in. With only Dallas (Slim chance), Sporting (likely in), Minnesota (slim chance on paper, not likely in) Colorado (eliminated) and Vancouver playing this weekend, the only one to really be able to clinch is Sporting.

If Dallas beats Colorado they move to 45 points, dropping RSL out.
    If Minnesota beats Sporting, they move to 38 points, but stay in 9th pos.
    If Sporting beats Minnesota, they move to 2nd and clinch.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    PTS GP GR Max
    Playoffs?
    s - Toronto FC
    65 32 2 71 Bye. Home Field Advantage
    x - New York City FC
    56 32 2 62 Bye. Home Field Advantage
    x - Atlanta United FC
    53 32 2
    Wildcard vs New York Red Bulls
    x - Chicago Fire 52 32 2 58 Wildcard vs x - Columbus Crew SC
    x - Columbus Crew SC 50 32 2 56 Wildcard @ x - Chicago Fire
    New York Red Bulls 43 31 3 52 Wildcard @ x - Atlanta United FC
    Montreal Impact 39 32 2 45 HOPE
    New England Revolution 39 32 2 45 HOPE
    Philadelphia Union 39 32 2 45 HOPE
    Orlando City SC 39 32 2 45 HOPE
    D.C. United 32 32 2 38 ELIMINATED
    WESTERN CONFERENCE
    PTS GP GR Max Playoffs?
    x - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 51 31 3 60 Bye. Home Field Advantage
    Portland Timbers 47 32 2 53 Bye. Home Field Advantage
    Sporting Kansas City
    47 30 4 59 Wildcard vs Real Salt Lake
    Seattle Sounders FC
    47 32 2 53 Wildcard vs Houston Dynamo
    Houston Dynamo
    43 31 3 52 Wildcard @ Seattle Sounders FC
    Real Salt Lake
    42 32 2 48 Wildcard @ Sporting Kansas City
    San Jose Earthquakes 42 32 2 48 HOPE
    FC Dallas 42 31 3 51 HOPE
    Minnesota United FC 35 31 3 44 HOPE
    Colorado Rapids 29 31 3 38 ELIMINATED
    LA Galaxy 29 32 2 35 ELIMINATED
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS form guide is really useful to see who plays whom and who is doing well right now.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/results

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is Vancouver is first place? They are meddling at best. The west is awful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    A consistent way of playing that most teams can't deal with. They avoid possession on purpose and counter attack up the middle with pace.

If we met them in the final, I'm confident of a 3+ goal win.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good? Caps certainly do have a horseshoe up their butts, but they've really come together with some key players back from injury, team chemistry being good and new signings panning out right away. And they have ok depth. Even if they pretend to be Leicester with bunker and counter
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im reaching here.

But it would be soooo great to see Minnesota run the table and sneak in. Big test at home vs KC, but after that they play a terrible LA team they have a showdown with SJ

A bridge too far? Almost certainly, but they hung with Altaata on the road so who knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at just the table, it might appear that way without context. It could be a situation where they are all powerhouses that slug it out against each other, similar to how the SEC in NCAAF has been for a decade. They might have teams with 1 or 2 losses, but are still better than other schools with better records.