RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Other MLS Games - Sept 13 - Testing Time

NER @ Atlanta 7pm - Two of the teams we play against still. NER on a bit of a roll but their midfield gives up the ball a lot and their defence can't handle what Atlanta does in transition. NER needs to win out the rest of the way and will go for it. Atlanta is going to play their starters for the foreseeable future which will lead to them getting tired. But, not yet. 3-2 for Atlanta.

Minnesota @ Vancouver 10pm - With a win by more then 1 goal, Vancouver will take over 1st place in the West. If they want to prove they are contenders for the Cup, they need to win games like this against lesser opponents. Good for them that the Loons are fragile. 2-0 for Vancouver

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ATL v NER MLS Live
    VAN v NIN TSN1 - Main TSN channel
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Away Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ATL are killing it, but NE are looking terrible. Saying that, ATL are probably the only team I have slight concerns about playing in the playoffs. They are killer up top.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NER went in and acted like thugs - weird approach for a team who likes to move the ball around.

Montreal versus Atlanta is going to be interesting as that's one team that could take advantage of an overplayed Atlanta squad - Martino seems to not be willing to sub his attackers and this will hurt them down the stretch.

Realistically, Atlanta doesn't have a tough game again until the last two weeks of the season. They might finish in second.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see Atlanta in the playoffs.

They are the one team in all of MLS that won't play us the way Seattle did.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Atlanta is one of those teams that could end our season without a cup.

This video review checking possible red cards is dangerous. Fouls happen ALL the time. Review will be so easy to hand out yellows and reds. Something entirely harmless and accidental - but red worthy - would show up conclusively in review and red would be given. Teams (including us) could get really burned on this.

I see nightmare sleeps before our playoff game days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want nothing to do with Atlanta. They are rounding into form and have an absolutely storming environment. I would love to avoid them. Vancouver up 2-0, takes them level on points at the top of the west if they can hold this result. Vancouver v Toronto MLS Cup would be mega.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, I want nothing to do with Atlanta, let them finish third and we can avoid them until the ECF if necessary. Their schedule is quite easy and other than a lack of rest, there is not a lot of travel (mostly home games), so getting to 58-60 points (or close to it) seems possible for them which to me gets you to at least third.....frankly the other teams scare me much less; seeing as the combo of NYCFC, Toronto, Chicago, Atlanta seems like the most likely ECSF teams (maybe NYRB instead of Chicago), and Atlanta definitely scares me the most of that group.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going into Atlanta on turf in front of 70,000 people with the way they are rolling is never ideal.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ But don't forget the way TFC is rolling, either. And I'm glad they're playing each other the last game of the season. It might be a preview for the East Final and it's good to get the first game at a new stadium under their belt. The environment looks daunting, but it can't be any worse than Olympic Stadium.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7-0, wow

OK, I don't want to see Atlanta.

Not only were New England demolished on the scoreboard and on the wrong end of two Video Review decisions, but they also became the first team in MLS history to finish a game without registering a single shot. Going down to nine men in the first half obviously played a major role in that, but this was all in all a record-setting catastrophe for the Revs.
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...lution/preview
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-14-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle wasn't close to the best team in the west last year.

Let's play the best.

Bring it on.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Seattle wasn't close to the best team in the west last year.

Let's play the best.

Bring it on.
    Seattle was the best team in the West during 2nd half of the season after Sigi got fired and Lodeiro came. They got hot when it counted.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential Soccer Night in Canada on a cold December night for the MLS Cup between TFC and Vancouver, anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarboroughRed View Post
    Potential Soccer Night in Canada on a cold December night for the MLS Cup between TFC and Vancouver, anyone?
    Except MLS cup is scheduled to start at 4:00 pm EST this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Except MLS cup is scheduled to start at 4:00 pm EST this year.
    Sundown Toronto Dec 9

4:41pm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

playing Vancouver is a much scarier prospect to me rn than Atlanta. Atlanta play I style we can exploit a lot more easily than VWFC and haven't had a win against anyone good except NYCFC way back in may.

Now that their lineup is healthy and their defense has sorted itself out I think Vancouver could do a really good impression of Seattle in the final, except with more open field playmakers and speed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    playing Vancouver is a much scarier prospect to me rn than Atlanta. Atlanta play I style we can exploit a lot more easily than VWFC and haven't had a win against anyone good except NYCFC way back in may.

Now that their lineup is healthy and their defense has sorted itself out I think Vancouver could do a really good impression of Seattle in the final, except with more open field playmakers and speed.
    It's never going to be a question of Vancouver or Atlanta in the playoffs. Atlanta could be one of our Eastern Conference playoff opponents. The only way we'll see Vancouver in the playoffs is in the final / MLS Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    It's never going to be a question of Vancouver or Atlanta in the playoffs. Atlanta could be one of our Eastern Conference playoff opponents. The only way we'll see Vancouver in the playoffs is in the final / MLS Cup.
    I know. I meant in terms of our path to the cup I see Vancouver as a much tougher test than Atlanta would be. Getting neither of them would be ideal but something tells me both teams are good enough that we'll have to be the ones to beat one or both of them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That ball from De Jong for Vancouvers first was sublime.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER