Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the "best ever" article, not one of them mentioned the CCL. What if TFC set the single seasons point record to win the shield, lost in the playoffs, but went on to be (the first???) MLS team to win the CCL? And what if a win came in Azteca? If this happens, sure they would be the best... especially if the playoff loss happened in a shootout of the finals.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that is more of a "Best performance by an MLS team" - not necessarily the best ever MLS team.

However, in reality, we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves. I like Bradley and Vanney's take on this - one game at a time... We already know they are the best TFC team ever, and for now that's good enough for me.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    I think that is more of a "Best performance by an MLS team" - not necessarily the best ever MLS team.

However, in reality, we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves. I like Bradley and Vanney's take on this - one game at a time... We already know they are the best TFC team ever, and for now that's good enough for me.
    We agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. A speedy Montreal or even Atlanta could surprise us, and one bad game vs David Villa and we could be toast.

I was just surprised not ONE mentioned the concacaf champions league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great article by Larsen but Kevin Payne is improperly dismissed. He had a vision and was pretty smart about execution: build over three years through young South Americans like Lana and Urutti. He would have been proven right.

Personally, I give Tim Lieweke massive credit. When had anyone at MLSE said " we have to do everything it takes to win" (hint: never). Great vision and by bringing Defoe here he kicked it all off, and made possible this magnificent season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Great article by Larsen but Kevin Payne is improperly dismissed. He had a vision and was pretty smart about execution: build over three years through young South Americans like Lana and Urutti. He would have been proven right.
    Getting young South Americans was what a lot of MLS coaches were doing and was hardly an innovative move. Would it have worked? Probably it would have created a middling team. Changes in South America economies plus competition from Europe has meant that there are few bargains out there.

I liked Payne, but he's more an MLS 2.0 guy, not really suited to what teams like TFC are doing with younger DPs.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-02-2017 at 10:15 AM.