Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why the traffic on this forum became so light?

I am amazed that it really seems to me that in the last 3-4 weeks the traffic in the forum became very light (or even for a longer time?)...
    This compared to 4-5-6-7 years ago, when TFC was a totally crap team compared to what we have now.

The most telling is looking at the game threads... those used to be more than twice as long.

I don't think that this is because now it's vacation season, and most of the regular board posters are on vacation.
    I have no idea why is this happening, but it's very strange IMO.

What you guys are thinking about the reasons this is happening?
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 08-07-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less things to complain about these days. Plus, it seems like everything is posted in one or two threads instead of creating threads for every topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less talking as there is less to complain about. It's also summer and people go away on holidays or get out of their usual habits. I think we'll see traffic pick up as the end of season approaches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anger is the great driver of traffic on the interwebs.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back then there was no Inebriati. Are there more supporters groups now? I feel like in the past peripheral supporters were drawn to the RPB forums as the main supporters group.

Maybe everyone has expended so much energy on this club, everyone is just chilling now and enjoying the success.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As was posted above, people tend to vent their anger out and join like bees together when upset.

Everyone is in a good mood, we see a post on a compliment and we just nod our head and scroll down. We are in a good spot now! No more toxicity...well not as much
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less things to moan about.

Not as much transfer activity/roster turnover than previous regimes

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Less things to moan about.

Not as much transfer activity/roster turnover than previous regimes
    The board was super active during the Winter/Mariner meltdown in 2012 due to the negativity. I still have Post Tfc Stress Disorder even thinking about it.

I prefer winning.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

- More supporter groups have formed, so a lot of people have moved on from RPB to those other factions.
    - A bunch of people were fed up of the BS that was going on and just left supporter culture all together
    - The shit disturbers have nothing to start shit about anymore - you still see them come on here once in a while (see last years #FireVanney movement) - but because of the teams success, their threads have quickly died

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    - More supporter groups have formed, so a lot of people have moved on from RPB to those other factions.
    - A bunch of people were fed up of the BS that was going on and just left supporter culture all together
    - The shit disturbers have nothing to start shit about anymore - you still see them come on here once in a while (see last years #FireVanney movement) - but because of the teams success, their threads have quickly died
    Add change in demographics. Forums used to be the social media way of communicating, but now it's twitter, FB, etc. Seems kids nowadays don't have the patience to write out long posts on forums.

And a lot of posters that started off in their late teens and early 20s got married, kids, jobs, etc.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My browsing habits changed. I used to be on this forum nearly every day, but now the majority of time is spent on r/MLS. I'm a non-SSH living outside of Toronto though, which makes a huge difference.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with all the reasons people have said so far.

I think about the early days of this forum when it was almost as much about being social as it was talking about TFC.
    I remember all the goofy threads that used to be on the main page (Cashzilla for example).
    That stuff kept a lot of us busy for hours.
    How many remember when the Off Topic page was almost as busy as the Toronto FC page?
    You look at my post count. I bet half that was from the first 3 years!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also should take into account that tech trends are changing. Forums are not the go-to for information and opinion sharing as everyone now has a voice on multiple social media platforms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    Also should take into account that tech trends are changing. Forums are not the go-to for information and opinion sharing as everyone now has a voice on multiple social media platforms.
    Yup - these days the rollerbladers would be live tweeting not posting here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The busiest day ever on the board was December 2016 though, just before the MLS Cup Final. Despite social media, people will still use message boards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer reddit.

I use this for tickets and inter group issues. Now that a few trolls have left for greener pastures, its much more civilized.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't get my head around reddit. I think I'm just too old. Social media is great and all, but on here you can search for things from past seasons.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reddit is good for short sound bite ish comments. I don't like reddit b/c a lot of posters seem rather young in terms of years supporting an MLS team. Too many Euro posers who still bang the pro/rel drum. I prefer RPB for more 'in depth' TFC discussion. BigSoccer MLS N&A forum for more in depth discussion about MLS in general. (lots of good posters who have been following the league since its inception with valuable insights)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Euro poser in favour of promotion relegation, checking in.

I like reddit because it has controlled civility (upvotes, downvotes, mostly) without the tfc bias.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    BigSoccer MLS N&A forum for more in depth discussion about MLS in general. (lots of good posters who have been following the league since its inception with valuable insights)
    +1. This is where the world class expertise on Cap/TAM/allocation rules lives
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well summer breaks and summer vacations coupled with a first place team will indeed lead us all to the impression its quiet. Its the dog days, and getting a regular full crowd in the stands is some games a challenge. However, that being said I have had a lot of interaction with members of the forum in *gasp* real life. We discuss the team at the pub pre or post game over a RPB beer.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One. We are winning things are looking good, not much to bitch about. Two. There has been a little too much time between games. Three. Most of the original "shit disturbers"/"ranters and ravers" are gone from the board. I am on of the few left, and I post much less then before, for a variety of reasons, but mostly for the same three reasons.

on the other hand I have seasons again, for the fist time in several years, and have made it to most home games. Have not made it to Joe's yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    However, that being said I have had a lot of interaction with members of the forum in *gasp* real life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting question/thread. Upon reflection, something else is also going on.

There is a difference between reading and posting. Back in the off seasons around 2012, you'd see maybe 25 people on the site at 7am (I am on most every day around that time, have been since 2007). This past offseason, it was more like 100 people.

A possible thesis: anger drives posting, but success drives reading. People come for the caliber of the discussion, just to get a better read on things than they can get in the newspaper. The caliber of the posts are higher overall.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC 2012-13:

TFC now:

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto