0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts wanted a penalty until the goal followed 2 seconds later....😄😄

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If teams are forced to open up once we get the first goal they are screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was ruthless. Thought Delgado was outstanding in midfield. Lot of good performances all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So close to keeping the clean sheet. 10 pt hit on the fantasy front. Enough about my personal problems, that was a huge win. Keep that GD coming.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland tried to bunker for a draw but once TFC scored they had to open up.

I don't know if it showed on tv, but Vanney did a significantly tactical change in the second half. Instead of relying on wing play like the first half, he had the team play lots of short horizontal passes with the occasional penetrating pass forward. It worked really well slicing through their defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another great win for TFC!

However up until we scored that was as tough a home game as weve faced all season, and lets not forget Portland passed up two great chances they really should have score. Nevertheless abother three points and the Reds go marching on. Especially deserving of a mention I thought our back three were solid as a rock tonight, especially given the curveball they had to deal with in the early departure of Hagglund (I hope the big man is okay, it looked a nasty twist) Although the beck three were great Morrow has to be MOTM for his brace. He adds so much to our attack the way he ghosts in from the left wing

Anyway, next week is the big test, onwards and upwards to greater things TFC !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morrows second has to be goal of the week. Absolutley gorgeous lead up. We are so lucky to have this team in front of us.

Re watching all goals, Gio seems so genuinely happy to see his team score. Refreshing to see such a grounded superstar who puts team before self.

This team.
    Last edited by TheSloanRanger; 08-12-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shmurda42 View Post
    This team.
    Everyone is buying in, and you can see it on their faces. Seems like each and every player understands their role, and we can easily have at any given point at least 2-3 guys competing for every position.

Each game I tune in for, I REALLY look forward to watching them play. A far cry from a couple seasons ago even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's such a luxury having a 5th choice centre back (Hernandez) who can step in and do the job.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that was fun.

I don't think Portland bunkered - their midfield doesn't provide enough defensive work (apart from Chara) to really be bunkering. The Timberrs like to counter and control the ball. They had no width though which allowed Morrow to have a great game and Hasler to look decent going forward.

Impressed by Hernandez coming in cold like that and running things back there. They had to move away from Hagglund's man marking of Mattocks to more of the zone Moor usually runs and it worked.

Given space, the 3 DP's and Vasquez were able to swing things around quite nicely. First half, we seemed bothered by the wind at our backs, to be honest. Jozy had a great game that nobody would have noticed - worked and worked and worked and found places. Quick ball movement helped to get through their lines. Seba's passes were sublime. Bradly had his usual steady game (except the gaffe which started their break for their goal - I notice after the game Vanney talking to Bradley and Delgado about that)

I am looking forward to our back line for the next 6 years with Hagglund, Mavinga and Zaveleta. We have never seen what its like to have the same back line for a second year, let alone 5+ like many great teams do.

Delgado had a strong game and the subs did well too - Ricketts for sure would have had a penalty there and Osorio put himself about like he hasn't done all season.

The Tifo - Seba was ribbing Vanney about it when it went up - good to see...and deserved.

Roll on Chicago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I am more worried that we can't score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's not a message to Chicago I don't know what is. We are coming into your stadium, and leaving with all 3.

Gregfather for PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Impressed by Hernandez coming in cold like that and running things back there. They had to move away from Hagglund's man marking of Mattocks to more of the zone Moor usually runs and it worked.
    Vanney deserves big praise for how well everyone in the squad seems to understand the system, especially the back line. It doesn't seem to matter who we've got as our 3 CBs out there, even when missing Moor, we barely skip a beat for the most part. Very impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    what do I have to do to get a Morrow on the left, Edwards on the right starting lineup?
    It works. Fuck Hasler.
    Hasler played pretty good, in my opinion, Edwards can be a bit petulant at times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a blast! First game in a couple of years and both my wife and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sloppy first but the 2nd was great fun. So happy that I got to see this group of players live. Can't wait for the Chicago game!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uninspiring first half, awesome second half. TFC were really bouncing the Timbers around when the goals started pouring in. Kudos to the Gregfather for making the halftime adjustments.

Oh, and the refing fucking sucked. Blatant fouls in the penalty area were overlooked.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Hasler has shown that he's an incredible player so far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    This!
    I don't understand why most of you guys see him like he's done just with passing marks in the 2 games he played.
    I would not say "incredible" (2 games are very little to judge on) but very solid and reliable. Starting caliber player on at least 18 of the 22 MLS teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Indeed!
    I anticipated this game like a 3-1, 4-2 type score for TFC.
    I thought the Timber's forward play is too good to not get at least 1 goal at BMO. This is why after the first half I was really worried that we can not score.
    And yes, playing all the game like in the 1st half, would have been very difficult not to lose a point or points to Portland.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the condensed MLS Live and at the end the Timbers colour guy said Portland were the better team in the second half.

Anyways, FWIW

The xG decisions are off - rated Mattocks run on the right when covered as high in xG but the chance for Delgado down the middle as low. Seems to assume when a player has more time they have a better chance.

Also the passing chart - Seba and Jozy are both centrally placed because they both swapped wide to both sides. The heat map on whoscored shows this. https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/11...rtland-Timbers
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-13-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really enjoyed that victory and seeing the club keep their foot on the gas.

Interesting reading these boards a day later. Was at the game, surprised not to see more mention of Vasquez who looked very good and was involved in a lot of our good play; on the other hand, from where we sat Jozy looked very ineffective in the first half and Delgado made numerous errors, although that will be obscured by his goal. Not much mention of Mavinga either, it's like we are taking his quality for granted these days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO Field is truly a fortress now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    This!
    I don't understand why most of you guys see him like he's done just with passing marks in the 2 games he played.
    I would not say "incredible" (2 games are very little to judge on) but very solid and reliable. Starting caliber player on at least 18 of the 22 MLS teams.
    I don't agree. At all.
    1) When wingers try over and over to beat defenders by hitting the ball past them and trying to outrun them to the ball...I think it is a lack of other more technical options.
    2) Defensively, 1v1, he looked off balance. His mark always had space to whip in crosses.
    3) His crossing is poor.

He hasn't been a glaring issue, but I don't see quality there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    Yes and he's not even playing in his preferred position. Very good win, they can/will have to play better though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler was on a terrible team that just got regulated to the second division in Switzlerand. Vaduz and the teams at the bottom of the Swiss league or 2nd division are not even in the same league as MLS. This football is worse then NASL.

Hasler is not very good. He's not god awful, but don't expect him to be worthy of starting so I disagree he would start on 18/22 teams, that is for sure.

He was ok... sorry but I've raised my standards and you should too.

Edwards is a young, promising Canadian who was building confidence, playing well, and showing chemistry with our stars. I don't understand Edwards not starting.
    Last edited by Defoe; 08-13-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler has been fine. Better on the ball than Alseth and more defensively responsible than Endoh so far, so he wins the backup job in my mind for now.

Edwards is a lot better on the left than on the right, he shouldn't be playing RWB. He doesn't factor into this discussion nor should he.