Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe TFC needs a few practices on high school fields around the GTA? Maybe the surfaces at their training grounds and BMO Field are too good compared with many of the pitches around MLS? Even on a bad pitch, somebody should be able to take a decent long shot, especially as we had a few cases tonight where our players had lots of time to tee up their shot.

Altidore and Giovinco looked like they had played 120 minutes in the all-star game, as did a few other TFC players who weren't even there. The defending against the worst team in the league was also pretty suspect at times.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Props to DC for actually playing the full 90+2. So refreshing to see this as opposed to that flopfest Colorado game.
    I hadn't thought of that, but that's a very good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad for Hassler to have his debut in a shit result game like this.
    The guy looks good though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler was really impressive tonight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The header of this thread should have been:

" Don't Feel Like Bustin Loose "

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wileman and Caldwell aren't shill commentators but tonight they were...TFC and Altidore are playing good they say?? I disagree. Altidore and Giovinco were no shows. Morrow has been poor for some time now. Delgado had one of his bad nights. Moor should be on the bench in favour of Hagglund. Ricketts sub was pointless in a game where he's not going to be able to run and he never shows for the ball. Inability to break down bunkering teams is concerning because that is what playoff may look like especially 1st round. Only interesting thing about tonight was Hasler.

Pretty embarassing and should have lost.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Wileman and Caldwell aren't shill commentators but tonight they were...TFC and Altidore are playing good they say?? I disagree. Altidore and Giovinco were no shows. Morrow has been poor for some time now. Delgado had one of his bad nights. Moor should be on the bench in favour of Hagglund. Ricketts sub was pointless in a game where he's not going to be able to run and he never shows for the ball. Inability to break down bunkering teams is concerning because that is what playoff may look like especially 1st round. Only interesting thing about tonight was Hasler.

Pretty embarassing and should have lost.
    Well at least the US announcers (on MLS Live) weren't much better. Strange interpretations of some blatant fouls & non-fouls. At least they accepted the red card with grace.

BTW I wonder if we will see more quick red cards called with VAR in effect, like tonight? The red card stops the game, giving the fifth official time to review the replays. They can always pull back the red card if it turns out to be wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Well at least the US announcers (on MLS Live) weren't much better. Strange interpretations of some blatant fouls & non-fouls. At least they accepted the red card with grace.

BTW I wonder if we will see more quick red cards called with VAR in effect, like tonight? The red card stops the game, giving the fifth official time to review the replays. They can always pull back the red card if it turns out to be wrong.
    The one thing I'm not sold on about VAR yet is that a goal can be called back if there is a missed foul in buildup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    The one thing I'm not sold on about VAR yet is that a goal can be called back if there is a missed foul in buildup.
    Did you see the Dallas goal called back for the foul on the keeper? That was a clear example where seeing the missed foul had the ref negate the goal. I thought it was just.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You can practically see it. We may win but this game has "danger: trap game" written all over it.
    Classic trap game against the worst in the league.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-05-2017 at 09:55 PM.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasler had a couple of opportunities to put the ball on the net, or at least cross, but he passed back instead. I was sitting along the 18 yard box 8 rows up from field level - I am sure he heard me shouting "SHOOT" ...:-)

OSO should have come on earlier. He's good at being fouled in crowds.

Tonight it seemed like DC got up higher than us, was there for the ball first far more often than us, and came out of the starting blocks actually wanting a win. We started playing at about the 30 minute mark.

We need to learn how to break down the bunker defense, and lobbing balls to Jozy over and over and over and over and over JUST IS NOT WORKING!!!!
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Credit to a competetive DC side. We have been there. Now we move on. Also, loving Mavinga's progress.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    Hasler had a couple of opportunities to put the ball on the net, or at least cross, but he passed back instead. I was sitting along the 18 yard box 8 rows up from field level - I am sure he heard me shouting "SHOOT" ...:-)

OSO should have come on earlier. He's good at being fouled in crowds.

Tonight it seemed like DC got up higher than us, was there for the ball first far more often than us, and came out of the starting blocks actually wanting a win. We started playing at about the 30 minute mark.

We need to learn how to break down the bunker defense, and lobbing balls to Jozy over and over and over and over and over JUST IS NOT WORKING!!!!
    Oh, being there must have been much more frustrating!

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, being there must have been much more frustrating!
    You can't even imagine how much.... ARGHH!!!
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    You can't even imagine how much.... ARGHH!!!
    I second that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three losses in 23 games.

We suck.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No excuses for this! TFC should have buried DCU after gaining a man up. The first 10-15 minutes of the match were an embarrassment. That kind of play will get our side eliminated in the playoffs easily. They need to be more ruthless and show no mercy to a weaker opponent. Look at what Chicago did to New England tonight. Wake the fuck up, Vanney!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga was very very good last night, and Bradley was a monster. For me, the team gets static because they are always looking for Gio - which seems to cause a lot of standing around waiting for something to happen. I think they would be better off against a team set up just to defend to look to the runs others are making (like Osorio when he came on) because that is where the space will be. That should force movement in the defence ultimately opening up space and time for Gio and Jozy. The only runs they fed all night were the wingers, really, otherwise they looked to Gio and it became very static. We have seen this before.
    Jozy had a bit of an off night, as did Delgado. Hasler was decent for a debut but was vulnerable early on defensively, I think toAcosta, jury is out for me on him but useful depth for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, I think you should look at teams away records. This is the hardest league in the world statistically to win on the road. Add to the fact parady in the MLS is crazy, and this result is very understandable. If TFC averages just over a point on the road this season in the MLS, and 2.5 points at home, which they are currently are, they will finish with one of the best records in MLS history. Calm down people. Chicago won a home game against the worst road team in the MLS. That why the team I wouldn't count out of the eastern conference race is Atlanta, who end off the year with a bunch of home game. The Colorado game I can understand being upset, but getting a point on the road is always a decent result. Pick up 2-3 more road wins this year, and we will be fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know. A disgraceful and utterly unacceptable state of affairs!

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Three losses in 23 games.

We suck.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um ya we're on top of the table and it's awesome but IF I had traveled I would've had a negative spin on this easy coast of a match. It's fine to me, plenty of points left to get and we're on top.

Hell most of our existence a draw on the road was a win. Glad to see travellers know we can win on the road if we want.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was late for the start (so missed the DC goal) and listened to next half hour radio, which is a simulcast of the TV broadcast.

Jack and Caldwell went the entire half an hour without saying the score, although I figured out that we were down.

Guys: say the score!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Guys, I think you should look at teams away records. This is the hardest league in the world statistically to win on the road. Add to the fact parady in the MLS is crazy, and this result is very understandable. If TFC averages just over a point on the road this season in the MLS, and 2.5 points at home, which they are currently are, they will finish with one of the best records in MLS history. Calm down people. Chicago won a home game against the worst road team in the MLS. That why the team I wouldn't count out of the eastern conference race is Atlanta, who end off the year with a bunch of home game. The Colorado game I can understand being upset, but getting a point on the road is always a decent result. Pick up 2-3 more road wins this year, and we will be fine
    I agree generally RE away record, but not really vs. DCU. They're 3-5-3 at home: not much of a fortress. Oddly enough, DC and Galaxy are the only teams in the league with a losing home record. Plus we were up by a man for over half the game, which easily negates the home advantage (if there had been one).

TFC had 69% possession; 14-4 in terms of shots; but only 2-1 in shots on target, and our only goal was an own goal. They need to find a different way through against a team playing like that, and execute better. Otherwise we'll see more of that, especially in the playoffs. (I loved last year's playoff run, but the MLS Cup game was a downer, and had elements of last night's game.) The team doesn't sound happy at all with last night's result, which is good. They will work on something. BTW I didn't hear anyone say "we suck" -- nice straw man there. It was a frustrating game. People that travel to DC and watch in the stadium, or at least plan their day to watch the whole game live, might feel that a bit more.

The game threads are already very short. Overall the traffic on the whole board is very light. Generally I'm extremely happy with TFC's record and outlook for the season. When something doesn't look great, should we just say "rah rah team, orange slices for everyone"? It's a discussion board. Last night there were some things worthy of discussion. I think there should be more of that. Not just frustration, but tactical debates: how do you break down a team like DC? How do we avoid some of the defensive naivete that TFC displayed for parts of the game, allowing one goal, and coming close to more goals from a weak opponent?
    Last edited by Auzzy; 08-06-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminded me of the San Jose game last year where they where SJ had 2 red cards but TFC couldn't unlock the bunker defense. It was looking better at home until Colorado, teams bunkering for the draw were run over, but now seems its the same issue again. i remember a moment watching the screen and seeing TFC forming a perfect umbrella covering DC's box with the lone target of Jozy just outside the 18. Everyone was out wide and behind, it all seemed wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) TFC had 69% of possession

2) I didn't hear anyone say "we suck" -- nice straw man there. It was a frustrating game. People that travel to DC and watch in the stadium, or at least plan their day to watch the whole game live, might feel that a bit more.

2) The game threads are already very short. Overall the traffic on the whole board is very light. Generally I'm extremely happy with TFC's record and outlook for the season.

3) When something doesn't look great, should we just say "rah rah team, orange slices for everyone"? It's a discussion board. Last night there were some things worthy of discussion. I think there should be more of that. Not just frustration, but tactical debates: how do you break down a team like DC? How do we avoid some of the defensive naivete that TFC displayed for parts of the game, allowing one goal, and coming close to more goals from a weak opponent?
    I numbered your points

1) We dominated possession because of the red card. DC had more of the good play before that. I don't think it's evidence of a problem.

2) The tone is incredibly negative if we don't win. No perspective at all. Coming back from 1-0 down at the half on the road is treated like nothing. "It was an own goal" is stated as though they passed it back into their own net, like the intense pressure DC were under in the box didn't happen. Draws are treated as losses. I don't think it's a straw man.

3) Truth to this. I have said similar. I think this is why you need to stick with Cooper, when he was going he was the key to unlocking defenses in the playoff run last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are also missing Hagglund. He was dominant in the air against Montreal and can help unlock defenses because the CD's have to be marking Jozy and paying attention to giovinco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the red card DC sat back.
    We were not quick enough to set up shots from outside, or penetrate the box. Too cute at times.
    We would have benefited from Cheyrou (NA) and Cooper to unlock the defense.
    We had 40 crosses in (!), with not enough presence in the box. Felt like capitulation of sorts.
    It was a frustrating effort to watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reality is as the Reds have shown in the past it's a challenge playing against a side with 10 men or less. It simply changes everything on the pitch in terms of what they will face. Chalk up this game was what it was and onward to Portland.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son and and I were counting every time there were at least 9 defenders in their box. We lost count. It just shows that there is no way to break down a team that parks the bus to that extent than hope for a lucky bounce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    My son and and I were counting every time there were at least 9 defenders in their box. We lost count. It just shows that there is no way to break down a team that parks the bus to that extent than hope for a lucky bounce.
    We have to be more dynamic. Someone pointed out we attempted 40 crosses over the span of the game: that's making things easy on the opposition. A few shots from distance. Some attempts to quickly shift the ball inside-and-out with a collapsing defence. Further, fighting to win the ball back as quickly as possible rather than conceding the attacking third and trying to engage in midfield like we normally do.

There will always be days like this where a team parking the bus gets the better of a superior side. However, it's clear we haven't yet found the formula to beat teams who are content to sit back and force TFC to beat them rather than vice versa. I still have nightmares about SJ, whenever the hell that was.