Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This I agree with.

I just don't agree with carping at or getting upset with supporting cast members who are in aggregate doing a great job, if we don't win.

Sometimes we don't win, you know.

This week everyone is on Cooper, and I agree that he has not looked good. But he has shown is that he has greatness in him, we know that, this isn't some random guy.

Let's support the guy.
    Cooper went from starter to bench warmer... there's merit in discussing his decrease in form, geez.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Cooper went from starter to bench warmer... there's merit in discussing his decrease in form, geez.
    I don't see discussion.

Discussion would include things like what formations/situations he does best in, impact of Vasquez on him, the fact that is is thousands of miles from home and has a new baby.

My own view is that he is maybe a better starter than a sub, and he should be allowed to work through it, the guy can make plays.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm okay with Cooper. He fits with the team and that's the main thing. I don't hear about any cliques or locker-room dissension. They're all working towards the same goal.

I just look back to 2007 to 2013 and think, yeah, I can live with the way things are now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frustrating thing about Cooper is that he's a one trick pony with a lack of footy IQ. Kinda reminds me of Alen Stevanovic when he had few games for TFC.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it was also him that opened the scoring for us on that night in November. His form has been off I admit, but with the Gold Cup over and the end of the season I think he will pick it up.

As nice as some of the other guys are playing I think we haven't reached our full potential, and perhaps its by design so to start peaking for the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    1st place = home field throughout, no? I'll take that, another cup final at home.
    I agree with Eastend. 1st place will guarantee us home field advantage throughout the playoffs and another cup final at BMO should we get that far.

With the playoff format the way it is, it's all about hitting form at the right time. I don't feel we should be letting off the gas to just coast in to the playoffs. We need to keep up the momentum so we are hitting top form down the stretch and in to the playoffs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Frustrating thing about Cooper is that he's a one trick pony with a lack of footy IQ. Kinda reminds me of Alen Stevanovic when he had few games for TFC.
    This year. But last year, he was running at guys and beating them, and winning 50/50 balls, all the time.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year. But last year, he was running at guys and beating them, and winning 50/50 balls, all the time.
    So he got figured out by MLS defenders as one trick pony and haven't adjusted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or his form dipped. it happens to some guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see discussion.

Discussion would include things like what formations/situations he does best in, impact of Vasquez on him, the fact that is is thousands of miles from home and has a new baby.

My own view is that he is maybe a better starter than a sub, and he should be allowed to work through it, the guy can make plays.
    so then who sits out of the Starting XI then? Delgado? No, his form has merited the starts he's getting. And Vasquez or Bradley aren't in the conversation to sit....there's no discussion going on about it because imo there's none to be had....our Starting XI, barring injury/suspension/inavailablity is pretty much set, save maybe for some rotation at wingback and defense, neither of which involves Cooper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he certainly gave away the ball that lead to their goal and you could tell he was distraught by it and it is frustrating; but he also spearheaded the subsequent drive that almost lead to us regaining the lead. He works hard, is technically very strong and tends to move the ball forward.

he's one of those players that i fear if we traded will come back to haunt you.

Still with the salary he's on he'll have to show it sooner rather than later

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    so then who sits out of the Starting XI then? Delgado? No, his form has merited the starts he's getting. And Vasquez or Bradley aren't in the conversation to sit....there's no discussion going on about it because imo there's none to be had....our Starting XI, barring injury/suspension/inavailablity is pretty much set, save maybe for some rotation at wingback and defense, neither of which involves Cooper.
    I would sit Delgado for Cooper for the next 3-5 games. Cooper, if he's going, does a lot more to unlock Gio.

We don't need to settle on the "playoff" XI until September.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    so then who sits out of the Starting XI then? Delgado? No, his form has merited the starts he's getting.
    While I agree that Delgado should still be getting starts, I feel he was partially responsible for two recent goals in which he didn't stay on his feet and/or blocked our clearances. Anyone see this?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    While I agree that Delgado should still be getting starts, I feel he was partially responsible for two recent goals in which he didn't stay on his feet and/or blocked our clearances. Anyone see this?
    ^ yes, my midfield 3 is Bradley, Vasquez, Osorio. It's nice that our subs are Cheyrou, Delgado, Chapman and Cooper (stacked midfield)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC have to drive forward to the opposing teams net, we did it 2 or 3 times in the last game, scored a goal and created good chances. And stop ALWAYS looking for Giovinco, I know he can usually finish, but TFC waste so many opportunities just looking to pass off to Giovinco, even when he is well covered or not in a position to make something of the pass. I want to see Cooper in and be driving forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving the ball wasn't the issue against Colorado. It was quicker ball movement. That's our game.

Of Osorio, Delgado & Cooper, Delgado is the quicker of those three. He starts until one of the other 2 show they can play more 2 or less touch football.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see discussion.

And just got back from the Gold Cup, no? I'm pretty sure I saw bits of Panama where he was running his socks off.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This discussion makes we wonder whether we will be trading a midfielder for futures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would sit Delgado for Cooper for the next 3-5 games. Cooper, if he's going, does a lot more to unlock Gio.

We don't need to settle on the "playoff" XI until September.
    fair enough, but we have Vasquez to unlock the opponents.

imo, Delgado offers more defensively, which is needed more next to Vasquez in the midfield....having Cooper in there would make the CM unbalanced defensively, leaving only Bradley to have any cover for the back 3.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This discussion makes we wonder whether we will be trading a midfielder for futures.
    Cheyrou is out a minimum of 8 weeks - nobody is going anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could still trade the 1st rd pick for a mid or bring some one in,maybe hasler can play their if need to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely find he's less active defensively this year. I agree theres probably other stuff distracting him right now.

Re: last game. It should be noted he tried to do the right thing. This wasn't him holding onto the ball and getting dispossessed, he passed right into the defender and simply didn't execute at a time when making the right play was crucial. On occasion guys will have bad luck and shit happens.

We need him to play well to be at our best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He displaced Johnson...I'd much rather Will was still here. Anyone know the salary difference between them? Seems like the one mistake that Vanney/Bez have made in the last couple of years.

Answered my own question WiJo - $400k vs Cooper $200k
    Last edited by Hamilton_Red; 07-27-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    He displaced Johnson...I'd much rather Will was still here. Anyone know the salary difference between them? Seems like the one mistake that Vanney/Bez have made in the last couple of years.

Answered my own question WiJo - $400k vs Cooper $200k
    I think Johnson left with some sour grapes, not being played as much and in the final or something like that, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't surprise me to see LAFC sign Marky Delgado for a boatload of allocation in the offseason....

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me to see LAFC sign Marky Delgado for a boatload of allocation in the offseason....
    We could just lose him in the expansion draft as well...
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it was a simple Cooper for Johnson thing. $200K is the price of eggs for a utility MF, and if we weren't paying it to Cooper, we'd be paying it to someone else.

Although we couldn't see it at the time, Vasquez was obviously the bigger reason we had to move a $400K midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it was a simple Cooper for Johnson thing. $200K is the price of eggs for a utility MF, and if we weren't paying it to Cooper, we'd be paying it to someone else.

Although we couldn't see it at the time, Vasquez was obviously the bigger reason we had to move a $400K midfielder.
    True

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I think Johnson left with some sour grapes, not being played as much and in the final or something like that, no?
    Yes, he was salty as hell in his exit interviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    We could just lose him in the expansion draft as well...
    Don't understand why we would do either...Delgado is decent salary wise, young, and trending upward.....since we're on the discussion of Delgado vs. Cooper, my own opinion is to rather leave a guy like Cooper unprotected (if it has to be one or the other). There's also the added advantage of not loosing Marky to his NT.