Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 22 - NYCFC @ Toronto FC Sunday July 30th 2pm - Pigeon Hunting

Some great photography from this site http://www.chrisjimenez.net/

Have At It People

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the best team.

We are in first place, and it's about getting the right work in, staying sharp, but not getting too high or too low.

This is a pretty meaningless game, and so is most every other game from here on in. I don't really care whether we are 1st of 4th in the east. It truly doesn't matter.

Seems that most of the comments in the last couple of game threads are agitated. I guess people are all excited about Supporters Shield, which I am not. I don't want to burn out chasing a meaningless trophy. I am also extremely bored with picking on reserves, which has become the house sport here.

A great opportunity to kick back and enjoy our elite team, who will get their fair share down the stretch.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-24-2017 at 06:47 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We have the best team.

We are in first place, and it's about getting the right work in, staying sharp, but not getting too high or too low.

This is a pretty meaningless game, and so is most every other game from here on in. I don't really care whether we are 1st of 4th in the east. It truly doesn't matter.

Seems that most of the comments in the last couple of game threads are agitated. I guess people are all excited about Supporters Shield, which I am not. I don't want to burn out chasing a meaningless trophy. I am also extremely bored with picking on reserves, which has become the house sport here.

A great opportunity to kick back and enjoy our elite team, who will get their fair share down the stretch.
    That's cool. Enjoy.

I don't need the league to tell me which I deem the best trophy in it to win. Haven't since we arrived in the league. Last year doesn't change that.

There's room for everybody.

This is a pretty exciting time for those keeping up with the race.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Some great photography from this site http://www.chrisjimenez.net/

Have At It People
    Hawk v Pigeon. Bitchy about to take it to the Farm Team. Well played.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

There's room for everybody.
    Sure. I have always believed that.

My issue is with the negativity that seems to be going with this "chase". Did Cooper make a bad pass? Awful. Did Spencer miss an open net? yes.

This ragtag bunch got more than decent results the last six weeks, inclusing a stretch where we had 6 games in 12 days, or whatever that was.

How much did I see people celebrating the amazing sequence leading up to Morgan's goal? Not much.

I am probably going to have to stop coming into the game threads during and after, for a while anyway.

Anyway, to each his own, as you say.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-24-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue is with the negativity that seems to be going with this "chase". Did Cooper make a bad pass? Awful. Did Spencer miss an open net? yes.

This ragtag bunch got more than decent results the last six weeks, inclusing a stretch where we had 6 games in 12 days, or whatever that was.

How much did I see people celebrating the amazing sequence leading up to Morgan's goal? Not much.

I am probably going to have to stop coming into the game threads during and after, for a while anyway.

You're awesome, ensco.

I agree but those dozen or so negative people aren't all concerned with the race. They are knee jerking with no perspective to the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney should rest everyone. Play the youth/reserves lads from now until October lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Vanney should rest everyone. Play the youth/reserves lads from now until October lol.
    Well I mean 1 or 2 more wins and we should be comfortable point's wise to get into the playoffs.

I'm with FYR on this one though. I get what ensco is saying about burnout before playoffs, and I know the league isn't the same now as it was then, but damn it why can't we do a 2011 Galaxy? Is it greedy? Sure. But I feel like this team has the talent to do some things we haven't seen in this league in a while.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the best team.

First or Second for me please. I don't want to be playing a one off playoff game.

But, then again, we retain our form and stay sharp by playing a mid-week one-off playoff game.

That being said, I really just enjoy beating NYCFC.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pfft to your Supporters Shield and MLS Cup, some of us are just sitting around waiting patiently for the CCL to begin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest concern to me is not bench players, it's still Giovinco. He still doesn't look like the Giovinco of the past two years, as much as we were hoping that brace a few games ago was going to ignite him. He was pretty much invisible Saturday. That first touch where he's gone before the defender even knows what happened has deserted him. Luckily we have other players stepping in and making up his goals but we'd be basically unplayable if he was his old self. I really want to see him rip through NYCFC like he did a few times last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I really want to see him rip through NYCFC like he did a few times last year.
    The last time we played a game like the one vs Colorado where everyone seemed to just be phoning it in (1st leg vs Ottawa) the team came back with a 5-0 win against Columbus. I'm hoping for a similar sort of response on Sunday.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The biggest concern to me is not bench players, it's still Giovinco. He still doesn't look like the Giovinco of the past two years, as much as we were hoping that brace a few games ago was going to ignite him. He was pretty much invisible Saturday. That first touch where he's gone before the defender even knows what happened has deserted him. Luckily we have other players stepping in and making up his goals but we'd be basically unplayable if he was his old self. I really want to see him rip through NYCFC like he did a few times last year.
    Giovinco looked a bit disinterested and was holding his side a bit in the first half, still not 100%? Didn't like being the lone striker?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Pfft to your Supporters Shield and MLS Cup, some of us are just sitting around waiting patiently for the CCL to begin
    I put the Plata to Silva highlight up in the other thread, just for you!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Giovinco looked a bit disinterested and was holding his side a bit in the first half, still not 100%? Didn't like being the lone striker?
    He didn't look fit at the begining of the game, to be honest. Went out there to take the kickoff and was streching and running. I think it might have affected his decisin making. Hopefully a full week without a game and he's better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1

For me its all about MLS Cup and our eventual CCL run. Supporters shield and such whatever. This team has fought through so many injuries, call ups and a jam packed schedule to be top of the league. Vanney and Bez are legit and rarely have our scouting let us down. Big crowds at BMO. I couldn't be happier with this season so far.

On Giovinco... his numbers are still impressive tho the bar for him is and should be MVP. Without a MVP Giovinco we are still top of the league. Hopefully he can finish the season of strong and be ready for our playoff push. If he needs more rest then rest him. Supporters shield is nice but MLS Cup is sweeter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won the trillium cup. the rest is bloody gravy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    We won the trillium cup. the rest is bloody gravy.
    That Voyageurs was the best damn gravy we've had in a long time. Wouldn't mind getting a couple more portions like that.

To the game - a test. They will be coming for us with all they got. I think we got more. Hoping everybody in the stands brings it too because a Sunday afternoon game is a rarity around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to dismiss the value of wining the Supporters shield entirely as it does take a very good team and depth to win it. However, its significance is made entirely meaningless with an unbalanced schedule and the erratic nature of MLS game scheduling.

Maybe winning it once would nice, just so we could say that we collected one of the trophies available.

I would still rank the CCL trophy as first priority to win and then the MLS playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st place = home field throughout, no? I'll take that, another cup final at home.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If our side wins the Shield, the road to the MLS Cup goes through BMO Field.

Any team in Major League Soccer think they can stop a deep, healthy, and highly motivated Toronto FC in the Fortress come November and into December?

I don't think so.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the Supporters Shield is important to me because I want to sit in BMO field, -6 degrees c, and watch live as TFC lifts the MLS cup - pure bliss

but CCL would be ultra-bliss...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to win the Shield just to keep the possibility of being the first team complete the treble alive, but that in my opinion is not the main goal. What I want is to be the last team standing come mid December. I'd love nothing more than to do it again at BMO. I think with our depth and Vanneys ability to meld line ups and manage games, player burnt can be avoided. We have a team here that is very very good and the time to capitalize is now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good arguments to the 'Pro' Supporter's Shield Camp, more so than the 'Anti' Supporter's Shield Camp

Thrash NYFC on Sunday

I also want TFC to win the Shield in able to have Home field during playoffs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see everyone's point... I think that Vanney should rotate the players to keep everyone sharp and trying make sure that the top guys ie Seba, Altidore, Vasquez and Bradley are healthy and firing on all cylinders come playoff time and hopefully have home field advantage throughout the playoffs

That being said, I hope TFC has a few statement games against teams right behind us..

How nice is this that we are discussing the validity of chasing the supporters shield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Good arguments to the 'Pro' Supporter's Shield Camp, more so than the 'Anti' Supporter's Shield Camp

Thrash NYFC on Sunday

I also want TFC to win the Shield in able to have Home field during playoffs

Why would any supporter not want their club to win everything? I don't get it. These are pros, players and coaches, I sort of understand the burnout concern but this is what they get paid to do.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think I've heard a couple of times that this squad expects that whichever TFC team is out there that they will to win... every single game. The coachng staff may decide to rest people in certain situations where the next game is more of a priority but whichever squad goes out there, they expect to win.

Very different mentality then what we have seen here before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think I've heard a couple of times that this squad expects that whichever TFC team is out there that they will to win... every single game. The coachng staff may decide to rest people in certain situations where the next game is more of a priority but whichever squad goes out there, they expect to win.

This. it's refreshing that we can bitch and moan about ties with depleted squads instead of abject losses with full first team.

And we can haz all the points and silver.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This I agree with.

I just don't agree with carping at or getting upset with supporting cast members who are in aggregate doing a great job, if we don't win.

Sometimes we don't win, you know.

This week everyone is on Cooper, and I agree that he has not looked good. But he has shown is that he has greatness in him, we know that, this isn't some random guy.

Let's support the guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This I agree with.

I just don't agree with carping at or getting upset with supporting cast members who are in aggregate doing a great job, if we don't win.

Sometimes we don't win, you know.

This week everyone is on Cooper, and I agree that he has not looked good. But he has shown is that he has greatness in him, we know that, this isn't some random guy.

Let's support the guy.
    It's Toronto. There is a requirement for a scapegoat in a team. lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano