Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lots of positives to take from the game....most of all a road point in MLS is never easy to come by.

Great stuff to see Ashtone score....despite some of the past comments here, I for one, am always rooting for the guy.

No point of discussing offside or not.....the real discussion should be how the hell Spencer missed an open header on an open net from 6 yds out.....simply not good enough.
    How old is he anyways?

Hopefully Giovinco is good to go for Saturday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this carping about Spencer, jeez.... people are spoiled. Some seem to want to pick on the reserves these days.

News flash: NYCFC are an elite team, and they have a huge home field advantage.

This was Vanney's single greatest coaching performance, and it's 100% because of what he got from reserves. I wasn't sure about Vanney the first year because it seemed to me the team was not built to do anything but give the ball to Gio and get out of the way. Boy have they put that to rest.

That first goal was incredible: it is almost impossible to execute plays in that bandbox. Where did that come from? Alseth's clever little bounce throw, Delgado with a nifty play to Spencer, Spencer with the perfect cross, Ashtone with the smooth one touch finish .... all one touch.... seriously, one of the 25 best TFC goals ever. A beautiful team goal 100% created by reserves and kids.

The credit goes to Vanney, because these guys are obviously getting fantastic work in on the training ground. They are ready to execute when given the chance.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-20-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

morgan for MVP, drop the mic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no picking on the reserves from me....but that miss was horrible.
    Its the kind of stuff that get put on blooper reels....he missed a pure gimme.....nothing more, nothing less.

Fully agree about your comments on Vanney though....but I liked him from the beginning.
    Just to hear the man speak, you know he is someone who knows the game, and not just a "hit and hope" guy....I've called him a tactical nerd before, and I say it in the most complementary way...imo he's fantastic.
    My big fear is hearing the commentators talk about Bruce Arena during the US game last night and saying that he's not expected to be with the team past WC 2018....could Vanney be the next guy? You gotta think people in the US Federation have their eye on him.
    Ya I know he has a contract with us for a while now, but that doesn't seem to matter much in soccer nowadays....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spencer needs more time. End of. Why we assume every player is going to walk into starting position like a DP is a bit much.

I agree with anyone wishing it was Jham to start and Spencer to sub in at 70' when (not if) we were ahead. That's about it.

My only other note was that Marky got pretty locked into 2 footed challenges right leading up to us giving up that goal.

It's a funny ole game- That Spencer miss was almost as likely as that Morgan goal. Morgan was training ground perfect on the play but looking at that face after the goal said he was as surprised as anybody he got time and space to angle that in.

Regardless, I'm over the moon for it and I expect it won't be the last time he tries it - and succeeds.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 07-20-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed the match on TV. What happened to Giovinco? Did it look serious?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I missed the match on TV. What happened to Giovinco? Did it look serious?
    Didnt look crazy serious - but im not a doctor.
    Twisted a bit strange, probably pinched a nerve or something

Here's the replay from highlights
    https://youtu.be/UAqlqC9PC8s?t=116

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    lots of positives to take from the game....most of all a road point in MLS is never easy to come by.

Great stuff to see Ashtone score....despite some of the past comments here, I for one, am always rooting for the guy.

No point of discussing offside or not.....the real discussion should be how the hell Spencer missed an open header on an open net from 6 yds out.....simply not good enough.
    How old is he anyways?

Hopefully Giovinco is good to go for Saturday.
    i dont think he missed, but it was a poor decision to pass it. hopefully he learns from that one

good to see hamilton get involved again. amazing how much respect these guys have for cheyrou. hamilton wanted that PK, but cheyrou makes the call with no 2nd guesses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Spencer needs more time. End of. Why we assume every player is going to walk into starting position like a DP is a bit much.

It's a funny ole game- That Spencer miss was almost as likely as that Morgan goal. Morgan was training ground perfect on the play but looking at that face after the goal said he was as surprised as anybody he got time and space to angle that in.

Regardless, I'm over the moon for it and I expect it won't be the last time he tries it - and succeeds.
    I'm not expecting Spencer to play at a DP level....in fact, he made a nice cross on the first goal for sure.....but on the other hand I don't think its to much to ask for any player at that level to score on an open header in an open net from 6 yds out.
    Here's hoping we see a more complete player with time, because his size is amazing and you can't teach that!

Soooo happy for Morgan last night!

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    i dont think he missed, but it was a poor decision to pass it. hopefully he learns from that one

good to see hamilton get involved again. amazing how much respect these guys have for cheyrou. hamilton wanted that PK, but cheyrou makes the call with no 2nd guesses
    nah he had to have whiffed on it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono was HUGE. Agreed about Spencer..no reason why he should be starting over Hamilton. Hate to say it cuz Vanney and co have been stellar..but they seem to give chances (and second chances) to Americans easier than our Canadian boys.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't read all the pages of this game thread so not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but I thought Hernandez was a monster last night. I was really impressed. He relentlessly broke up NYC plays over and over. Maybe he had a little incentive given the team he was playing against. A good effort by our bench guys. I too was hoping for Hamilton to start over Spencer but I understand what Vanney was trying to do having a taller hold-up player with Giovinco up top. The ref did all he could to give NYC the win but our guys persevered. Edwards made a great impact when he came on. Bono played great too when he had to. If that is NYC's full lineup we have nothing to fear from them if we play them again with our full lineup. Imagine if Bradley, Altidore, and Morrow were out there for us and Seba did not get injured? Another 5-0 win? Maybe. Happy enough with a point on the road on a crappy pitch with poor reffing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Bono was HUGE. Agreed about Spencer..no reason why he should be starting over Hamilton. Hate to say it cuz Vanney and co have been stellar..but they seem to give chances (and second chances) to Americans easier than our Canadian boys.
    I think this is sort of a bogus narrative. are there any other instances where Vanney has done a similar thing? I can't think of one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    All this carping about Spencer, jeez.... people are spoiled. Some seem to want to pick on the reserves these days.

News flash: NYCFC are an elite team, and they have a huge home field advantage.

This was Vanney's single greatest coaching performance, and it's 100% because of what he got from reserves. I wasn't sure about Vanney the first year because it seemed to me the team was not built to do anything but give the ball to Gio and get out of the way. Boy have they put that to rest.

That first goal was incredible: it is almost impossible to execute plays in that bandbox. Where did that come from? Alseth's clever little bounce throw, Delgado with a nifty play to Spencer, Spencer with the perfect cross, Ashtone with the smooth one touch finish .... all one touch.... seriously, one of the 25 best TFC goals ever. A beautiful team goal 100% created by reserves and kids.

The credit goes to Vanney, because these guys are obviously getting fantastic work in on the training ground. They are ready to execute when given the chance.
    Can't say I particularly agree. I guess you can credit spencer for putting that ball back across but his play as a whole was far from great. We have players within our squad that are more deserving of that playing time and created a bigger impact on the field.

The bottom line here is if Edwards doesn't come on the field we lose 2-1. The fact Edwards made the field appears to be dumb luck more than anything.

Now that said, I don't think Vanney is a terrible coach or suddenly deeply flawed but his decisions on the day were frustrating. I think that can be said without suddenly losing sight of the teams overall performance over the past 18 months or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    He does need more time, for TFC II in the USL. Putting him ahead of Hamilton is unjust.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at field level for the game in Ottawa in June. It was obvious that Vanney was very unhappy with the focus/effort of both Hamilton and Edwards in that game.

I suspect those guys are being sent a message.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Math shows the call was eventually right but how the call was made wasn't
    trouble with the pic is that I am not seeing the ball, so I am unsure that it shows the position of Chapman at the time of the ball being headed by Spencer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has said many times that he will pick the players who trained the best in the follow up to any particular game....if that meant Spencer before Hamilton for last night than so be it...

I also think that for last night specifically, he chose the players who went through preparations for the game with the team, as opposed to NT returnees (Edwards)....I'm not quite sure exactly when Edwards returned to TFC from the Gold Cup, but that may be the reason.

Look it, we got a point, on the road, in one of the tougher places to earn one.....I'll take it all day.... now let's get 3 points for Saturday on the menu!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Can't say I particularly agree. I guess you can credit spencer for putting that ball back across but his play as a whole was far from great. We have players within our squad that are more deserving of that playing time and created a bigger impact on the field.

The bottom line here is if Edwards doesn't come on the field we lose 2-1. The fact Edwards made the field appears to be dumb luck more than anything.

Now that said, I don't think Vanney is a terrible coach or suddenly deeply flawed but his decisions on the day were frustrating. I think that can be said without suddenly losing sight of the teams overall performance over the past 18 months or so.
    Who deserves more time with the squad that we fielded last night?

Spencer is the only target striker that we have outside of Altidore. Hamilton is not that player and will never be that player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really agree with that. Spencer may appear to be a more prototypical target forward and there's no doubt that is how the coaching staff sees him, but Hamilton routinely provides better target forward play. He makes clever movements in the box to get himself a yard for crosses and he's more dogged in protecting the ball. His play to earn the penalty was textbook target striker stuff: run off the shoulder of the defender, take the ball down, and get between it and the man to force him into a risky tackle.

I don't think Spencer has been that bad, he's been okay. But Hamilton is clearly a more effective player overall, and I'd argue myself more effective in the specific role the coaching staff wants Spencer to play too. I don't disagree with Vanney on much but with Ricketts and Altidore gone, Hamilton should be starting every game right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Math shows the call was eventually right but how the call was made wasn't

The problem with this photo is it doesn't tell us the exact location of the ball, rendering the math useless.
    Is the ball touching Spencer's head? Has the ball already come off Spencer's head? We can't tell because Spencer's head is in the way.
    This play happened so fast that inches make a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    The problem with this photo is it doesn't tell us the exact location of the ball, rendering the math useless.
    Is the ball touching Spencer's head? Has the ball already come off Spencer's head? We can't tell because Spencer's head is in the way.
    its also the wrong photo. Would be interesting to see the modelling from the overhead view.

also, by definition, the call was wrong. The linesman did not see an offside, nor did the referee. So they cannot later change the call and be certain, it isn't possible because the moment has gone. So for example, if the linesman (A/ R) was asked " wasn't Chapman ahead of Spencer?", he possibly might remember whether he was or wasn't but cannot evaluate other things, like the timing of the header, the location of the NYC player behind Chapman, etc. They have to be done as the play happened, and when it did he did not see an offside. Very very unprofessional.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 07-20-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and one minor thing: does anyone know why Ashtone Morgan got a yellow for being hit on the head? He was sufficiently hurt to leave the game. Seemed odd.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 07-20-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    The issue for me was neither the ref nor the linesman saw anything wrong with the goal when it happened It was only when the linesman was badgered by NYCFC players he signaled to the ref, who ultimately reversed the call. I agree with Vanney if it was so tight neither official saw a problem in live play, you can't have them change their minds based on the protestations of the New York players

We wuz robbed!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    The issue for me was neither the ref nor the linesman saw anything wrong with the goal when it happened It was only when the linesman was badgered by NYCFC players he signaled to the ref, who ultimately reversed the call. I agree with Vanney if it was so tight neither official saw a problem in live play, you can't have them change their minds based on the protestations of the New York players

We wuz robbed!!
    Yep, MLS is still trying to manipulate results to end up with that elusive NY vs LA final aren't they.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Yep, MLS is still trying to manipulate results to end up with that elusive NY vs LA final aren't they.
    This is sarcasm right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    This is sarcasm right?