Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im amazed that none of the crack jurnos that cover the team ask the FO that simple question.maybe they are too busy getting clicks from pissed off mtl fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    guys, we cant play in Feb. the stadium is not frost proof. The waterlines would freeze, the walkways and seats would be covered in snow/ice
    They did a hockey game there, so had to be prepared for such things.

Its frost proof.

The issue is the field, the fans and the players.

As for dating, its unsure if we have to play here in February.

All we know is:

http://www.concacaf.com/article/conc...oncacaf-league

The paragraph that is appropriate is this:

The 2018 edition of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League kicks off in February of next year, featuring the winner of the 2017 Scotiabank CONCACAF League and 15 more of the best clubs from the entire CONCACAF region, including the Caribbean and Central America, plus Mexico, the United States and Canada. The champion of that competition will represent the region in the 2018 FIFA Club World Cup.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    guys, we cant play in Feb. the stadium is not frost proof. The waterlines would freeze, the walkways and seats would be covered in snow/ice
    Actually, due to the east stand and upgrades, the stadium is now winterized. Its very possible barring some freak weather event to play the game at BMO. The expansion was done because TFC don't want to ever play at Rogers center. Even with a sell out they make no money because of the rental fee, stadium configuration fees and additional staffing (they have to use Rogers center employees and pay a higher fee for it). Not to mention the headache of relocating all the seasons tickets into different seating positions and sight lines - it generates tons of complaints and challenges for the staff.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYRB hosted Vancouver at Red Bull Arena on Feb. 22 this year for their Champions League game. They somehow got lucky though and the weather was 13 high/5 low and cloudy.

Don't know if we'd get lucky at that time of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't there usually a February melt for a couple of days each year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard from someone in the TFC FO that they expect to play at BMO Field. The 2nd leg of the round of 16 is expected to be the first week of March. They don't know yet if TFC will be a pot one team or not, the person told me they expect NOT to be. So looks like we are playing an MLS or Mexican team in the round of 16

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I've heard from someone in the TFC FO that they expect to play at BMO Field. The 2nd leg of the round of 16 is expected to be the first week of March. They don't know yet if TFC will be a pot one team or not, the person told me they expect NOT to be. So looks like we are playing an MLS or Mexican team in the round of 16
    This makes sense. We should be in pot 2 since it's a regional rating. We are not 1 or 2 and there are 8 of those teams.

But this also means we should have the first leg not the second if we're the lower seed.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feb and Dec are different beasts

Sorry, Feb at BMO would be a mistake. The walkways and stairs are a lawsuit waiting to happen in a heavy snow fall or deep frost. Even a an icestorm is likely

decent weather in Feb is an outlier , not the norm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets look at things with some perspective.

Last winter had a couple of cold days but mostly was fairly mild. Minus the vortex year that saw the great lakes actually freeze over late February early March isn't so bad.

Odds are due to the nature of the weather in Toronto the home match will be the second leg to give the best chance of the weather being workable. The last two years weather has jumped between highs of 12 degrees and lows of -12 in the last week of February and first week of March. Most often the day time high is around 10 degrees. A 2pm game is fully doable and could easily be warmer than the MLS cup or even the Conference Final.
    The MLS cup was sub zero and the Conference Final was in rain at under 10 degrees.

People tend to forget what the weather in Late February March is actually like. Barring a weather oddity there should be no issue in the game being played at BMO field for the second leg. The First Leg would be difficult as it is often the coldest 3 weeks of the year from the last week of January to the second or third week of February.

So no we should not be preparing to play at Skydome/Rogers Centre/that thing the Argos fans demanded and then never went to resulting in them ruining our pitch with their dumb game.... unless Lake Ontario has frozen over at which point trying to figure out an alternative might be required. Likely just moving the date to a little later in March... in the same way the date would be moved if there was a massive electrical storm during the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Actually, due to the east stand and upgrades, the stadium is now winterized. Its very possible barring some freak weather event to play the game at BMO. The expansion was done because TFC don't want to ever play at Rogers center. Even with a sell out they make no money because of the rental fee, stadium configuration fees and additional staffing (they have to use Rogers center employees and pay a higher fee for it). Not to mention the headache of relocating all the seasons tickets into different seating positions and sight lines - it generates tons of complaints and challenges for the staff.
    But I thought there haven't been any changes or improvements to the west side and other older areas of BMO yet? Maybe this will trigger them to do at least the rest of the winterization after this season is over.

Recently we had two years where it was unbelievably cold for months. Also, I loved being in MLS Cup, but even that weather wasn't conducive to good footy. February / early March could be nuts. I guess there's no way around it. Maybe the Qataris could send us all the hot air from their supposedly open-air cooled stadiums to heat up open-air BMO in February.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-29-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So then they schedule it at BMO sort of half-expecting it to be postponed?

That'd be one way to force the issue.

But maybe CONCACAF could step in and force things as well. They could demand the game be played at RC (maybe, who knows).
    Last edited by James17930; 06-30-2017 at 10:05 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    So then they scheduled it at BMO sort of half-expecting it to be postponed?

That'd be one way to force the issue.

But maybe CONCACAF could step in and force things as well. They could demand the game be played at RC (maybe, who knows).
    The schedule was made by CONCACAF and of course the default is BMO. Not really more to it than that. If they move it to Skydome it'll be shame but I think people will understand why. I don't think you're going to get everyone on board with it, though.

The Galaxy game won't be matched unless we have a later round opponent and by then we'll be at BMO where we should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any idea what the players would prefer? Trainers?
    Are the cold & field conditions more of a concern than the turf of the Skydome?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what I was going to point out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    That is what I was going to point out.
    Yeah, I really think it's doable, especially with the amount of time they'd have to promote it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I really think it's doable, especially with the amount of time they'd have to promote it.
    It will be unprecedented. This is not Stade Olympique in the semi final. This will be a hard sell, guys.

I hope you're right. But I hope for BMO first.