Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Probably one of the dumbest articles you've ever written. I rarely see/hear anyone complain about Seba's passion and frustration at constantly getting hacked. All the supporters around me are as equally pissed as he is by the refs willful blindness.
    Almost like a lip service article to the as Larson put it 'Giovinco’s attitude is one Canadians — with their no-nonsense ‘play-the-right-way’ hockey mentality — struggle to comprehend.
    I agree the headline does nothing for Giovinco's passion or fire for the game and the city

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Probably one of the dumbest articles you've ever written. I rarely see/hear anyone complain about Seba's passion and frustration at constantly getting hacked. All the supporters around me are as equally pissed as he is by the refs willful blindness.
    1) If the article is, as you say, "dumb", then you haven't done a good job justifying that argument.
    2) Giovinco wasn't hacked on Saturday. He suffered two fouls over 90 minutes, one of which wasn't. Vazquez suffered more fouls on the night.
    3) Accusing the referee of "willful blindness" is more a product of fan bias, in my opinion.
    4) If anyone should complain about unfair treatment, it's Jozy Altidore, who's held and pulled and elbowed all over the pitch due to his size.
    5) Giovinco's tendency to whine and dive is a complaint that's pretty prevalent. It's also my opinion.
    6) People don't complain about Seba's passion. They complain about his numerous idiotic outbursts. But that was only half the point of the piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    1) If the article is, as you say, "dumb", then you haven't done a good job justifying that argument.
    2) Giovinco wasn't hacked on Saturday. He suffered two fouls over 90 minutes, one of which wasn't. Vazquez suffered more fouls on the night.
    3) Accusing the referee of "willful blindness" is more a product of fan bias, in my opinion.
    4) If anyone should complain about unfair treatment, it's Jozy Altidore, who's held and pulled and elbowed all over the pitch due to his size.
    5) Giovinco's tendency to whine and dive is a complaint that's pretty prevalent. It's also my opinion.
    6) People don't complain about Seba's passion. They complain about his numerous idiotic outbursts. But that was only half the point of the piece.
    I think it's a fair article. I agree with you. He's lost his ability to get any borderline calls because of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a little worried as the game started, but slowly grew more comfortable as the game progressed and was actually able to enjoy it even before they scored. DCu showed some danger, but those chances were few and far between and the defence did a good job in snuffing most of those out. I feel pretty good about TFC's treble chances this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's wasn't the call, and there isn't much point discussing that. It's repeatedly getting hacked that has him upset.

This is a league issue, it has never protected its stars.
    I think the reason refs are reticent with calls is because they kept getting abuse from fans for all the calls LA Galaxy opponents got against themselves for so much as sneezing in Beckham's direction, which lead to accusations of favouritism from other teams in the league. Unfortunately the league has swung too far in the other direction now.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Passing maps show Bradley sitting back per usual but also that they basically gave Beitashour a free pass to roam down his side. Oh, and the usual reminder that Xg doesn't really account for the consistent application of better then average skill.
    What I find interesting about this is that the top performer for TFC in terms of generating xG was Giovinco, while the top XG generator for DCU was Hamid. When your goalie has the highest percentage, you know you have problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    molenshtain watch the highlight I posted just above. A DC player had just walked past the ref, but to the ref it still should have been very clear what happened. Another DC player intercepted Vasquez's attempted pass to Altidore on the free kick. Either you give a yellow to the DC player for purposely blocking a free kick while OBVIOUSLY infringing. Or if you're not sure, or if you feel the kick wasn't setup right, you allow the kick to be retaken. https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...s/video/107219

I'm never happy when players (especially our stars) take stupid cards. But Kurt and everyone else, watch the Giovinco yellow here: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...s/video/107244

DCU player first reaches back with his arm extended to block off Giovinco. Him falling is at least as much related to putting himself off-balance by reaching back at full speed like that, as anything else that happened (Giovinco pushing back, or possibly inadvertently touching his heel? There's no way "everyone in the building" would agree with Kurt's assessment of this play.

The refs petulance and inconsistency grated on everybody's nerves. I would love it if TFC could only react by getting pissed & scoring more goals, but that's not life.
    I saw these the same way you did. Even if the referee doesn't award a yellow, he has to blow it up, it's ridiculous - the player made no effort to retreat and Vasquez was entitled to take a quick one.

as for Seba, it looked live and again now that he committed no foul whatsoever, that the guy was doing a rugby style straight a match ( which is a clear foul) and fell over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    You have to ask for yards from the ref, otherwise that player can stand as close as he wants.

Vasquez took a risk with a quick free kick and it back fired.
    no you don't. The player has to retreat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    My bad Jpexxx, that's apparently not the rule any longer. Doesn't have to retreat but can't interfere either.

If you watch the replay he clearly interfered. The rul is a bit confusing on quick free quicks but deliberately kicking like that has to be a yellow.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 06-18-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Toronto FC's Giovinco again showed his annoying petulance Saturday night; Then he did what he always does. http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/17...in-win-over-dc
    Great article. Agree totally about his passion.

But: never a foul. In fact he was being fouled. Our entire section went crazy when it went against Seba and were all booing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    interesting. I thought today it was really good. He sees and completes outlet passes that none of our other cb's can make.

I think it's more his decision making that gets him in trouble. he tries hard shit more than he has too. I think that's what your seeing. His actual ability to complete a variety of passes is pretty good imo. he just tries to thread the needle a little to often.
    I like that he tries to find the forwards from the back line occasionally. No one else tries it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I think a player had accidentally run in to the ref just as that happened^^ took him out of the game for a second. I don't think he saw the player stick his leg out.

Not to say the ref was at all good the rest of the game. His power tripping over the placement of free kicks and throw ins was particularly irritating.
    I wasn't a fan of the ref at all but I actually really liked that he forced players to take throw in and kicks from the exact spot it occurred. It's annoying watching a player move 15m from the originally throw in spot. I wish more refs stopped this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    molenshtain watch the highlight I posted just above. A DC player had just walked past the ref, but to the ref it still should have been very clear what happened. Another DC player intercepted Vasquez's attempted pass to Altidore on the free kick. Either you give a yellow to the DC player for purposely blocking a free kick while OBVIOUSLY infringing. Or if you're not sure, or if you feel the kick wasn't setup right, you allow the kick to be retaken. https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...s/video/107219

The only thing I'll add is many refs allow you to stand in front of the ball unless u ask for 10 yards. So it's tough to say and annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw Adrian Cann at the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that TFC is first in the league during a period when Giovinco is in a prolonged scoring slump (or, "not playing up to previous standards," there are a few different ways to look at it) just blows my mind.

I don't know what will happen in this super packed set of games ahead but it's been an extraordinary ride so far.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 06-18-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The fact that TFC is first in the league during a period when Giovinco is in a prolonged scoring slump (or, "not playing up to previous standards," there are a few different ways to look at it) just blows my mind.

I don't know what will happen in this super packed set of games ahead but it's been an extraordinary ride so far.
    Yes.

Cannot play Cheyrou and Vasquez in the same midfield so it will be interesting to see what Vanney does. For me, Vasquez sits and you play Cheyrou Delgado Osorio. New England ripped our minefield apart last time. ( I meant midfield but mine field works)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Seba definitely has on field issues but I feel this doesn't get at what is going on.

It's wasn't the call, and there isn't much point discussing that. It's repeatedly getting hacked that has him upset.

This is a league issue, it has never protected its stars.
    I just watched the condensed replay, and even in that Seba has the shit kicked out of him. Perhaps some classic ubs are less agressive, but they are all patteringin themselves after the job NYFC did on Seba the first time we played them and the referee considered kicking a player not a foul, unless he went down dramatically. Isn't that the heart of the problem?

I am opposed to replays but perhaps soccer needs two referees. One at each end.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As standalone incidents our DP's got deserved yellows. Bradley's card was a professional foul.
    Seba and Jozy were reactive and petulant after shitty non-calls, but should simply know better.
    No biggie, but Seba does need to get his 1st touch back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    ..but Seba does need to get his 1st touch back.
    Yup....at least 3 opportunities gone because his first touch was off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seemed to me at the time of Bradley's yellow, that he was gunning for the card. He made three or four very aggressive plays close together. A couple of them were were worthy of yellow cards.
    Add that to his comments earlier this week about the schedule, makes me think he wanted to get the suspension out of the way, knowing that he was not likely to play a full game on the 21st and 23rd. If you have to get a suspension it's the right time. The team takes the least hit considering there will have to be huge squad rotation anyhow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yup....at least 3 opportunities gone because his first touch was off.
    Seba is the backbone of the teams offense and if hes not scoring, he is assisting on goals. That long ball to Jozy was sublime, highlight of the night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    It seemed to me at the time of Bradley's yellow, that he was gunning for the card. He made three or four very aggressive plays close together. A couple of them were were worthy of yellow cards.
    Add that to his comments earlier this week about the schedule, makes me think he wanted to get the suspension out of the way, knowing that he was not likely to play a full game on the 21st and 23rd. If you have to get a suspension it's the right time. The team takes the least hit considering there will have to be huge squad rotation anyhow.
    Maybe he was just pissed off, as opposed to trying to get a booking.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    This is what I was thinking as well - he gets the yellow, plays both legs of the Canadian Championship and makes Vanney's decision easier for the game on the 23rd. This way he can go into the next set of games without that yellow card sitting on his shoulder.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kemp was impressive, wouldn't mind stealing him in the off-season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    its a retake if the player gets in the way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Seba is the backbone of the teams offense and if hes not scoring, he is assisting on goals. That long ball to Jozy was sublime, highlight of the night.
    agreed, he was stretching that D and midfield by moving all over the field. that pass was a rocket right on the "tape"