Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Eh, no. Are we the best team in the league right now? Quite possibly. But let's not get too puffed up about our station in this league just yet - no MLS Cups, and no Supporters Shields.

As a supporter, I never want my team to drop points, but to say it's never "acceptable" because we are the Man Utd of MLS, strikes me as a bit exaggerated. Second loss of the season, with a depleted squad, and ending off the second of two two-week spans playing two games a week.

Not pleased we lost, and certainly not that comprehensively. But hopefully they now have a chance to catch their breath, get some proper rest from the morons who make the schedule, and come back with a vengeance on the 17th.
    indubitably - we were not horrible on the night, especially on a more than sluggish pitch...we certainly could have played better but oh well. considering the schedule i thought, save a few sloppy moments, we could have salvaged a point or 3....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado came back to beat the Crew with two in the last ten minutes so that was a nice bonus.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a terrific, sometimes amazing team.

Can't win em all.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good teams lose games, and so do great teams.

Pretty easy to see we just simply didn't match up well with their youthful legs, but hey, we didn't have our full starting 11 and some played on Wed.

Two weeks off now, stay focused and look ahead.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhaustion showed. TFC missed Bradley. Revs are a Turf team (like TFC in the first few years) that play well at home being familiar with their own crappy surface (which their opponents aren't) and poorly elsewhere.

Even the Galaxy at their best had days like this. That's why long runs are rare in MLS. Rest up and move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

This is a terrific, sometimes amazing team.

Can't win em all.
    I agree with you ensco, this team is terrific and great to watch. What I was trying to say in my earlier post was that for us as supporters, we should expect this team to win every game. They are that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We came back to earth yesterday. We put those 2 off the bar in, we have a completely different game. It's ok...still in first, long season, let's do like tottenham and keep applying pressure.. Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't get to see any of the game, but I don't think it's a big surprise we weren't in this one. Our schedule has been insane, enough to sink most teams in the league. We were going to look tired and flat in one of these games eventually.

Take the couple weeks rest and get back at it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

Vanney speaks

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/0...?autoplay=true

In essence, team not patient enough, got stretched out and really really tired legs. Edwards was a trial to see if he could spread out their defence, which worked for the Vasquez miss.

One point to remember:

We play these guys at BMO within 48 hours of the first leg in Montreal.

What ifs are never something to hold onto but if Vasquez had scored that goal, this game would have gone very differently. A look at the xG for this game is very instructive.

Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-04-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards up top didn't really work and I think likely helped the tired legs get more tired, by lack of hold up play.

i was thinking that you cannot have VV and BC in the same midfield and this game seemed to show that, but maybe the lack of hold up play made that worse. Gio had the least impact on a game in a while.

vanney kept biting his tongue. Wonder what the other issues were that he saw that he wouldn't talk about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were due for a ugly game. This team has played a ton of football the last month or so and it showed. A 2 week break will due them good and then we can out together another winning streak before the gold cup break. That pitch looked absolutely bullshit. How the league allows that is beyond me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    NO.

We are the Manchester United of this league. It is never acceptable to drop points, except possibly an away draw at Chelsea.
    So we're boring and don't finish top anymore ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Ha, I was going to say that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad game. They're going to happen in this league. Just forget about it and move on. Stop blaming the turf though. It's brand new turf, not the crap Danny ruined his knee on, and they've only had it for a few weeks so NE is hardly that used to it either. It's not an excuse.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I had a problem with Vanney playing Vasquez and Cheyrou together. Two people who barely have any legs left.

Bradley and Delgado work for Vasquez because they're marathoners.

Also, Fuck Paul Mariner. I know he's playing to a product but at least give some respect to the organization that gave him a coaching job he didn't deserve. He makes out his team to be this well-oiled, well-drilled defensive or offensive machine but with that win, they're still below the red line.
    Great points, Pope.

Looking at those highlights our back was dealing with unchallenged runs that didn't make their day easy.

And Coach Short Pants made his spite pretty obvious. I'm sure NE fans love his overwhelming bias blowing smoke up their...places. He doesn't do any service to himself as a commentator but I think he's satisfied with being an NE schill.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner now has the best job he will ever have, and he should surely ask to name his first grandson Steve Nicol, in gratitude.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently i missed a friendly against NE :/

take the loss and forget about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anything, this game shows how important Bradley is to the team structure. I'm not sure how we could replace him. I'll give this game a pass and on to the next one in two weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    nicely played. I will retreat to my corner now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    If anything, this game shows how important Bradley is to the team structure. I'm not sure how we could replace him. I'll give this game a pass and on to the next one in two weeks.

agreed. this also makes me a little miffed that we released Bradley and Jozy for a friendly. This had better develop into us keeping them for a proper game when we need them more but I doubt that it will. Jozy wasn't even in the 18.....so at least less chance of him getting injured.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a couple of notes on that:

Vanney indicated there was a deal done between the USMNT & MLS to realese for that friendly with the understanding there would be a date where MLS players were not released. A few teams were miffed at SKC being able to have Besler around for the weekend game.

Jozy showed up late (Wednesday) due to a family matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    agreed. this also makes me a little miffed that we released Bradley and Jozy for a friendly. This had better develop into us keeping them for a proper game when we need them more but I doubt that it will. Jozy wasn't even in the 18.....so at least less chance of him getting injured.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this was a non-FIFA due too no? As if MLS scheduling challenges aren't enough to begin with...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this was a non-FIFA due too no? As if MLS scheduling challenges aren't enough to begin with...
    http://www.sounderatheart.com/2017/6...ssf-fifa-dates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sketchy!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wild speculation: SUM continues to be a major money maker for the league hence these sorts of things are prioritized. As a Canadian the USMNT doesn't do much for me, notwithstanding having a couple of outrageously good players or our roster which we pay for anyway.

I worry that MLS is ultimately diluting its product, puffing out on expansion fees, and has lost sight of what took the league out of the doldrums prior to TFC's launch (namely: focusing on the game, the quality of the facilities, etc...).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The USMNT is very very good for MLS. If the USMNT didn't qualify for Russia, Fox would not pay as much for MLS the next time around. They would be unlikely to put an MLS game on Big Fox (which they have done a couple of times this season getting a few million more eyeballs then a FoxS1 broadcast).

And what is good for MLS is good for TFC.

I hope the Yankees get to Russia and get burned big time by little countries. And I hope they flame out at the Gold Cup. But, them making it to the World Cup significantly helps MLS by driving people to watch summer time soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the US equivalent of staging an all night street party outside the opposition's hotel the night before a match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This is the US equivalent of staging an all night street party outside the opposition's hotel the night before a match.

Or not having your MNT's released by a English or Scottish team because their gaffer thinks national teams outside of Europe are a joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    a little late with my reply but yes, you are correct - Non-fifa release dates. We did not have to release them for this game but did so apparently with the understanding we would be able to hold them back from a real FIFA date if there was an inconsequential game for the US. but that's just a tidbit from an Interview with Vanney that I can't find again.