Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default is Ricketts our best player?

was talking with some ppl about this earlier, and well i think ricketts is our best player, he always gives it his all no matter what, he has more energy and heart then anyone on this squad, he loves toronto, he seems to be the happiest player on tfc that is playing here, and he is easily the fan favourite, there is much more i could say about him but i would just go on and on lol
    anyone else wanna add to this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now he probably is, yeah. He's certainly been the only guy who's been effective throughout and fighting throughout in that stretch. He has an advantage in that he's only really expected to play one way, so when he adds in defending it's advantageous.

I think with five goals you could argue Danny D too, though, particularly considering what's happened since he went out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Ricketts! It's about time he gets more recognition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Right now he probably is, yeah. He's certainly been the only guy who's been effective throughout and fighting throughout in that stretch. He has an advantage in that he's only really expected to

i agree
    he is always there, and he is the only one who creates chances in the last 15-10 mins in a game too, its like he pounds down a power drink and goes into 6th gear, he is a pure workhorse, much like marvell wynne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most consistant for sure....and one of the few guys who seems like he gives a shit game in, game out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is easily one of the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guevara's got more talent, but Ricketts has demonstrated both consistent skill and effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Great skill, great work ethic, and he doesn't fuck up.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts is pretty good, yeah. Is he the best on the roster? Hard to say. I think we'd have to wait until the season is over to really to really take stock in his contributions. I've been pretty satisfied so far, though.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no he is not the best player. he is one of the best.

The best this season is Greg Sutton

He saved our asses so many times from major thrashings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ i would have to agree with tut!!!!

ricketts is the most skilled field player, but mr.sutton has been clutch for us!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Draracle View Post
    Yes. Great skill, great work ethic, and he doesn't fuck up.
    No, absolutely he is not our best player.......but to be fair I don't know who is. I forced to choose at this point I would have to agree with King Tut and say Sutton is the front runner for the RPB player of the year.

As for the quote above, if you don't think Ricketts ever fucks up you need to watch the games a little closer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defintelty one of the best, but right now if I had to vote for a 'Player of the Year' I would vote for Sutton...

One of the things I like about Ricketts off the field, is that he has embraced the team and city... He's always doing TFC TV, went on the Grill Room, showed the MLS Live guys around Toronto at the All-Star game, has done the charity work with Big Bruva, and I was lucky enough to meet him at one of the autograph signings at Scarborough Town Centre - what a great guy...

I can't say enough about Rickets as not only a player, but a person and embassador for our club...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    One of the things I like about Ricketts off the field, is that he has embraced the team and city... He's always doing TFC TV, went on the Grill Room, showed the MLS Live guys around Toronto at the All-Star game, has done the charity work with Big Bruva, and I was lucky enough to meet him at one of the autograph signings at Scarborough Town Centre - what a great guy...

I can't say enough about Rickets as not only a player, but a person and embassador for our club...

Carts...
    I can't help but think all this press work that Ricketts is doing has nothing to do with his love for the city or TFC. I think he is staying prominent with his media relations hoping to not fall off the radar so that after a few successful seasons he will have the opportunity to return to england.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would vote Ricketts easily. He has worked harder than most have on the field. Plus his charity and media work are excellent representations of TFC to the city and province. Raises the teams profile both on and off the pitch. And if he decides after few years to head back to England then he will have worked hard for his right to do that and deserves it. Best all around man for TFC. Would love to see some other players put as much effort in off the pitch to raise our profile.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardest working at the moment yes. And with his skill it goes a long way.

Guevara is probably the most skilled, but as Carver said...sometimes flits in and out of games.

Dichio is the smartest but is physically limited.

Ricketts encompasses everything we need in players right now. Skill, smarts and heart. So far...he is getting my vote for player of the year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    I can't help but think all this press work that Ricketts is doing has nothing to do with his love for the city or TFC. I think he is staying prominent with his media relations hoping to not fall off the radar so that after a few successful seasons he will have the opportunity to return to england.
    I spoke to him about playing in England, and his response was quick and genuine. He wants to play. He wants to contribute. He wants to win.
    He said it's not all about the Premiership.
    This attitude is illustrated in the choices he made before coming here.
    He made his moves to place himself with people he could learn from, in places where he could expect to make an impact. If he was a glory hunter, he could have stayed in Arsenal's system, and worked towards a first team position, or a trade to aother Premiership side.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be silly of us to think he wouldn't want to return to the EPL if given the chance. I think however, he will be selective. I am sure he wouldn't want to return just to ride the pine.

At the end of the day, none of us can blame him for that, and it really isn't an issue right now. Besides...maybe we can get a nice transfer fee for him!

That being said...I have seen his "promos" and his marketing efforts on behalf of TFC and the guy seems to speak from the heart. So long as he gives his all while he is here, that is all I ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    No, absolutely he is not our best player.......but to be fair I don't know who is. I forced to choose at this point I would have to agree with King Tut and say Sutton is the front runner for the RPB player of the year.

As for the quote above, if you don't think Ricketts ever fucks up you need to watch the games a little closer.
    His non-fucking up is proportional to the teams epic amount of fucking up. He does make mistakes, but not at the rate of our other players.

I would say sutton is our best player, just because the 10 in front of him allow so many shots. Robert seems to be finding a groove, and he has a lot more guts than Rickets to make clutch plays.
    Last edited by Draracle; 07-31-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to see that Ricketts likes the city, as well as Robinson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Draracle View Post
    His non-fucking up is proportional to the teams epic amount of fucking up. He does make mistakes, but not at the rate of our other players.

I would say sutton is our best player, just because the 10 in front of him allow so many shots. Robert seems to be finding a groove, and he has a lot more guts than Rickets to make clutch plays.

I agree on the robert part, I tink when he tries for those 2/3rd's of every game he is our best player, not in salt lake really, but I blame the shitty field for that. He give sthe best long balls and good good crosses, just nobody gets on the end of them....he just gets frustrated and then gives up later in the match after hes passed 10 balls to cunny whos offside 11 times(figure that one out)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Hardest working at the moment yes. And with his skill it goes a long way.

Guevara is probably the most skilled, but as Carver said...sometimes flits in and out of games.

Dichio is the smartest but is physically limited.

Ricketts encompasses everything we need in players right now. Skill, smarts and heart. So far...he is getting my vote for player of the year.

I agree with all three assessments, I would have to say that Robert is close to those three in overall ablity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    That quote of Carver's bothered me a bit...people seem to forget that Guevara came to us immediately after the end of the LINA season. He'd played a full season's worth of football, taking Motagua to a second-place finish in the Apertura and leaving them toward the end of the Clausura.

He's getting tired, and it's starting to show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    That quote of Carver's bothered me a bit...people seem to forget that Guevara came to us immediately after the end of the LINA season. He'd played a full season's worth of football, taking Motagua to a second-place finish in the Apertura and leaving them toward the end of the Clausura.

He's getting tired, and it's starting to show.
    Same symptoms we saw from Dichio last year... who came from a similar situation albeit not lifting his hometown team to a very unexpected final result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the last month he has been, no doubt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rawkus_420 View Post
    I agree on the robert part, I tink when he tries for those 2/3rd's of every game he is our best player, not in salt lake really, but I blame the shitty field for that. He give sthe best long balls and good good crosses, just nobody gets on the end of them....he just gets frustrated and then gives up later in the match after hes passed 10 balls to cunny whos offside 11 times(figure that one out)
    And he is far more willing to change players who get too close. At the start of his tenure we saw him give of a lot of challenges or make shitty crosses out of panic. Carver must put some confidence in him because now he is far more inclined to dribble the ball around players to get a better angle. He does get frustrated. Which is good. Because I am getting frustrated. He has no option up front for the cross so he can either bang it in the middle and hope for the best or switch it to Ricketts, neither offer a decent progression of the play.

Personally, (in the absence of a striker) I would have liked to see Ricketts come into the far post more -- taking on a strikers roll when Robert gets position on the wing. Ricketts has a deft first touch and he can pull most passes to his feet. With his two-way-dribbling skills I bet he could easily create that moment of space to find a shot within the 18. But he tends to prefer the wide position and is often under-utilized when the play is coming in off the other wing.

Wynne has more than enough speed to cover a counter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Same symptoms we saw from Dichio last year... who came from a similar situation albeit not lifting his hometown team to a very unexpected final result.
    Exactly Shaughno.

And oddly enough, I remember people saying similar things about Dichio around this time last year...tired players can only do so much.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is why I don't blame Guevara...but we can't say that there aren't stretches where he is invisible. I agree...I think he is tired. And maybe a little frustrated as well. So I am not gonna rag on Guevara...I think he has been a positive addition to this team. I just think Ricketts is showing everyone else what it takes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts with Sutton a close second.