Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    He's good, but not I don't think he's "any other team in Spain" good. Maybe on a lower-half team, he could be effective in a rotation, but he had his chance to impress while he was over there and didn't, which is why he spent so many years at Barcelona B. MLS is a league where "string-puller" players seem to do well.

Anyway, I'm just glad we have him and he's playing so well for us. He really is proving to be the missing piece of the midfield puzzle.
    Another observation is the Spanish league and a few other Continental leagues play a different tactic, I observe that the players appear to be intent on ball control, tic-tac pass, pass, pass and are essentially allowed the time on the ball, where as MLS seem to attack the player with possession far more urgently. Just an observation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He gave a pretty interesting interview to 4-4-2 a week ago. Just the idea that he is a good friend of Messi's (makes sense, they are almost the same age) kind of gives you goosebumps.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...would-love-mls

Which got me searching for stories about Messi and Vazquez at La Masia, they were together for 10 years, from age 13 on. There are A TON of old stories about them out there in the Barcelona sports papers.

Get this: everyone (Messi included) thought Vazquez was the best player from the cohort born in 1987 at La Masia! that group includes Messi, Pique, Fabregas. Vazquez was a striker back then.

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2010/12/...48_850215.html
    http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/...ot-away-340037

I understand better now why Vazquez didn't bounce around Spain the way so many Barcelona B and Real Madrid Castilla guys do. Victor was famous, real royalty, that can be heavy when you can't catch a break. Imagine being "the guy who was supposed to be better than Messi" and getting reminded of it every day. Better to start fresh.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-30-2017 at 06:22 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ good find, it's pretty amazing seeing our player with all those famous players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Another observation is the Spanish league and a few other Continental leagues play a different tactic, I observe that the players appear to be intent on ball control, tic-tac pass, pass, pass and are essentially allowed the time on the ball, where as MLS seem to attack the player with possession far more urgently. Just an observation.
    I think it was Silva & Pirlo a couple of seasons ago who observed that MLS players are not as rigorous as Europeans in keeping to their position on the field. They jump in and expect somebody else to recover for them if a player gets past; whereas in Europe players will hold a position knowing that if they deviate that's a danger. This is one of the reasons why it takes players from Europe a game or two to adjust. As Giovinco said last year, defensively MLS is just not all that good.

This is why quick ball movement is key for us. Move it around quickly and eventually somebody makes a mistake and bang goes a pass from one of our better technical players and we are in with a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've posted this before but given he has his own thread now, i'll do it again.

ESPNFC piece on Vasquez from the time he was at Brugge and they were about to play Man United in CL qualifiers

http://www.espnfc.com/uefa-champions...chester-united

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He gave a pretty interesting interview to 4-4-2 a week ago. Just the idea that he is a good friend of Messi's (makes sense, they are almost the same age) kind of gives you goosebumps.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...would-love-mls

Which got me searching for stories about Messi and Vazquez at La Masia, they were together for 10 years, from age 13 on. There are A TON of old stories about them out there in the Barcelona sports papers.

Get this: everyone (Messi included) thought Vazquez was the best player from the cohort born in 1987 at La Masia! that group includes Messi, Pique, Fabregas. Vazquez was a striker back then.

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2010/12/...48_850215.html
    http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/...ot-away-340037

I understand better now why Vazquez didn't bounce around Spain the way so many Barcelona B and Real Madrid Castilla guys do. Victor was famous, real royalty, that can be heavy when you can't catch a break. Imagine being "the guy who was supposed to be better than Messi" and getting reminded of it every day. Better to start fresh.
    High praise, indeed. Nevertheless, being the best when you're 16 doesn't mean, as we've seen many times, that you'll be the best when you're 20 or 25. His injury issues seem to really have stunted some of his potential, although we can see the quality. Look at Pablo Vitti, who was mentioned as one of the better of Argentina's young crop at that WC here at BMO all those years ago. What Vazquez' history does mean, for me, is that he has the pedigree, the training and the confidence that come from being at one of the best organizations in the world and playing regularly with the best players in the world for many years. His career may have taken a different direction for the many reasons that can happen, but we can see his pedigree every time he steps on the pitch. This was an inspired signing by Bez.

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

ESPNFC piece on Vasquez from the time he was at Brugge and they were about to play Man United in CL qualifiers

"I never saw a better duo on the pitch than Vazquez and Messi," recalled youth coach Alex Garcia, who coached them during the 2002-03 season."
    Last edited by Jack; 05-30-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great article, thanks. I missed it last time you posted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

Wow. He named his son Leo.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vazquez is a fantastic teammate.

Remember the near fistfight between Gilberto and Defoe?

Ricketts was going to take the PK Friday. He'd earned it, and he grabbed the ball Gilberto style. He lines up. Bradley quietly walks up and taps him on the shoulder. Step aside.

Ricketts, to his eternal credit, quietly steps aside.

This episode speaks volumes to me. Vazquez didn't want to show up his teammate, he is no Defoe, but Bradley does the right thing, maybe to help the team win (not sure about that, Ricketts is a worthy PK taker) but more importantly to show the great respect that Vazquez has earned. Ricketts is a stud too - no way he liked it, in a way it wasn't fair, but he did what the captain said. Then he went out and made a couple of other plays that led to goals or near goals.

I love these guys. They all showed greatness in that moment, in different ways.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-30-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts was going to take the PK Friday. He'd earned it, and he grabbed the ball Gilberto style. He lines up. Bradley quietly walks up and taps him on the shoulder. Step aside.

This episode speaks volumes to me. Vazquez didn't want to show up his teammate, he is no Defoe, but Bradley does the right thing, maybe to help the team win (not sure about that, Ricketts is a worthy PK taker) but more importantly to show the great respect that Vazquez has earned. Ricketts is a stud too - no way he liked it, in a way it wasn't fair, but he did what the captain said. Then he went out and made a couple of other plays that led to goals or near goals.

totally agree.....aside from playing as well as they are, perhaps the most impressive thing about this team is the team spirit.

and while yes, this speaks about the character the guys have, a lot of it I feel is on the coach as well....we all know that much bigger egos of much lesser players have sunk this team in the past, so its awesome to see the unity now.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really can't get over that free kick on Friday where he kept it low. That has to be a lot harder than it looks, to get that kind of speed on the ball and keep it down.

For what it's worth, I was calling for the low kick the entire time - I think he heard me. :-)
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just shocking how Toronto has found all these players for such low dollars. Even at 700 k, Vasquez is a steal. He didn't have a great year at Cruz Azul but was still the most high profile player on that team.

Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore, Vazquez, Moor is the best spine in MLS history. The fact it's complimented by the most depth in MLS history, is a good recipe for success. I'd love to see what this team could do with a fully healthy squad against teams in Mexico and bottom table Italy

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good observation.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    I really can't get over that free kick on Friday where he kept it low. That has to be a lot harder than it looks, to get that kind of speed on the ball and keep it down.

For what it's worth, I was calling for the low kick the entire time - I think he heard me. :-)
    its true

Messi called me up and told me that vasquez heard you in the crowd and decided to follow your advice lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

geez, even named his son Leo

Maybe Messi will come retire in the MLS someday, lets get Victor on that ASAP lol

Jokes aside, Bez deserves a lot of credit. The guy is a dream fit for TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic signing. Very clever player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He could very well be the best player that was acquired in the MLS off season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    He could very well be the best player that was acquired in the MLS off season.
    I'd think it would have to be between him and Nemanja Nikolic. Maybe Miguel Almiron (would he count with Atlanta only joining this year)?
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've said since the beginning of the season that he is phenomenal. Even having to fend off suggestions that he was comparible to Osorio on these boards early on. I am glad to see everyone is really getting behind him.

If the MLS season ended right now, I would say he is front runner for league MVP, and I will bet if his play continues at this level he is a favourite to win it at the end of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    Even having to fend off suggestions that he was comparible to Osorio on these boards early on.
    Can't believe ANYONE had to waste time and energy on that discussion, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two more assists Wednesday night (cup games and all but still)

That ball that split the centre backs on the Gio goal was particularly inspired. when he and cheyrou were juggling the ball back and forth in our end to break the press.....if I'd been on the field I would have probably just stood and watched.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    I've said since the beginning of the season that he is phenomenal. Even having to fend off suggestions that he was comparible to Osorio on these boards early on. I am glad to see everyone is really getting behind him.

If the MLS season ended right now, I would say he is front runner for league MVP, and I will bet if his play continues at this level he is a favourite to win it at the end of the year.
    It was Canary10 in this thread. I guess first impressions could be misleading: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?40219-Match-Day-5-The-Night-The-Reds-Drive-Old-Dixie-Down-ATL-TFC-Sat-April-8-7-30-PM/page6

Really? Vazquez is mediocre. Certainly no better than Osorio.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Can't believe ANYONE had to waste time and energy on that discussion, lol.

but he is, language and height....ishh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Almiron has been better but it's between those 2 and Villa for MVP at this point

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    It's just shocking how Toronto has found all these players for such low dollars. Even at 700 k, Vasquez is a steal. He didn't have a great year at Cruz Azul but was still the most high profile player on that team.

Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore, Vazquez, Moor is the best spine in MLS history. The fact it's complimented by the most depth in MLS history, is a good recipe for success. I'd love to see what this team could do with a fully healthy squad against teams in Mexico and bottom table Italy
    There are a lot Giovinco and Moor caliber players in Italy, not sure TFC could compete on a regular basis. But, they are much closer now than a few years ago, when the worst team in Serie B/C would easily beat them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watch a lot of Serie A, and I can honestly say, if TFC only had to play league games in Serie A, i think they could stay up. Would be a dog fight, but this team has about 7-8 guys that could definitely kick it in Serie A year after year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to get this thread back up to the top!

This guy is simply on another planet when it comes to his vision, calmness and overall presence.

And he's still only 30! Certainly making a strong case to finish out his career here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His defensive work last night was excellent. He's never going to get back as quick as a DM; but he covers ground way more then he was at the beginning of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something to be said for timing. Vazquez seems to be the right guy at the right time for what he can provide. I wonder if he had been signed previously whether too much would be asked from him, in terms of expectations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    His defensive work last night was excellent. He's never going to get back as quick as a DM; but he covers ground way more then he was at the beginning of the season.
    Fairness, when he was obviously still finding his fitness… but, point taken. =)