Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Of the young guns, Endoh played hard and well. Chapman had a good game but made some boneheaded plays. Edwards played like a prima dona. Osoria is ready to be signed by the Woodbridge Strikers and Hamilton by the North Toronto Nitros.
    I saw it differently. Endoh played hard but was ineffective. Chapman had his worst game by a long shot. Hamilton drifted in and out but was effective when in. Oso was ok but should have been much better than ok. Morgan pretty good considering. Defence a shambles. Edwards I agree with. Cooper very very poor.

also, we lost this all on our own, fair and square, but the officials were pretty poor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what concerned me was that all of them, except Ricketts and Cheyrou, were almost always waiting for someone else to make the run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still pinching myself after last night with mixed feelings about the result. Good to see some of you guys at the game even though I was supporting the Fury and apologies for the one idiot that looked to be picking a fight with some of the Inebriatti guys. I didn't think the pitch felt that bad underfoot. The Fury really are better than their USL record indicates and had extra motivation to defend their house, but I fully expected a B-team that would walk all over them. Instead Vanney put out a Frankenstein B/C team that got a bit complacent after the first half. But I think the real problem was the makeshift backline that looked like it had never played together before and Taintor looked out of his element all night. I think you field one of the normal TFC backlines in the return leg and you should win as handily as Vancouver did last year. I felt bad for Irwin and I saw him doing laps on the field after everyone else had left. Actually had a chance to chat with him after the game and asked him some questions about his CSL days in Ottawa, if he had any GK tips for my son and got a selfie. He has a lot of class (more than Edwards did on the night) and you could tell he was really disappointed in the result.

It may have looked like the stadium was empty, but that's because all the cameras are on the south side of the stadium where the majority of the fans were sitting. the 7,411 that showed up. I'm not sure now many actually paid - there was a local online pizza promotion that they found later allowed you to get a free ticket without actually having to pay for a pizza. But that number was inpressive because the Sens were playing across town at the same time. I think there can be a passion for soccer here in Ottawa. Good luck in the return leg!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Is the game in August the cup game?
    Yes it is, essentially two games in June or one in August achieve the game thing, a spot in Champions League.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yes it is, essentially two games in June or one in August achieve the game thing, a spot in Champions League.
    BUT the cup goes to the winner of the tourny not the August game unless I"m mistaken. The August game is just a make up for us to get Champions league rights based on getting hosed due to the Concacaf switch up.

Silverware and the position is my preference but that's just me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm still pinching myself after last night with mixed feelings about the result. Good to see some of you guys at the game even though I was supporting the Fury and apologies for the one idiot that looked to be picking a fight with some of the Inebriatti guys. I didn't think the pitch felt that bad underfoot. The Fury really are better than their USL record indicates and had extra motivation to defend their house, but I fully expected a B-team that would walk all over them. Instead Vanney put out a Frankenstein B/C team that got a bit complacent after the first half. But I think the real problem was the makeshift backline that looked like it had never played together before and Taintor looked out of his element all night. I think you field one of the normal TFC backlines in the return leg and you should win as handily as Vancouver did last year. I felt bad for Irwin and I saw him doing laps on the field after everyone else had left. Actually had a chance to chat with him after the game and asked him some questions about his CSL days in Ottawa, if he had any GK tips for my son and got a selfie. He has a lot of class (more than Edwards did on the night) and you could tell he was really disappointed in the result.

It may have looked like the stadium was empty, but that's because all the cameras are on the south side of the stadium where the majority of the fans were sitting. the 7,411 that showed up. I'm not sure now many actually paid - there was a local online pizza promotion that they found later allowed you to get a free ticket without actually having to pay for a pizza. But that number was inpressive because the Sens were playing across town at the same time. I think there can be a passion for soccer here in Ottawa. Good luck in the return leg!
    I was there. I am not an Ottawa guy, but I am totally impressed by that stadium, and by Ottawa's soccer culture.

I think an MLS team would succeed there, although I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

I think people are short shrifting Ottawa as a team. At the game, I really noticed several of their guys (Williams, maybe Campbell) as players that look like near MLS caliber players, to me.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-24-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree RE Chapman.

Also just now, there was a dangerous turnover, Chapman is close but only slowly jogs along with the Ottawa player rather than hustling and forcing him to the side.
    thats the lazy chapman we saw last year b4 he turned things around. I hope that is a reminder to him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a small article in the Ottawa Sun about the game last night, but nary a mention in the Ottawa Citizen or Metro newspapers. It was all about the Sens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was at the game last night - had seats on the south side but quickly moved over to the north to much better seats at midfield. Great echo effect off the north roof made it sound like the TFC supporters section was right behind me. TV placement doesn't do the crowd justice - its even worse looking for USL games when they don't open the north side at all and the cameras make it look like there is nobody in the stadium. The lower bowl on the south side holds about 5-6k when full - so 7k+ seemed just about right. They had 9k last year vs Vancouver (but no hockey competition), and I think it was close to 15k for their first ever game there vs NY Cosmos. Switching the location of the cameras would make a world of difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I was there. I am not an Ottawa guy, but I am totally impressed by that stadium, and by Ottawa's soccer culture.

I think an MLS team would succeed there, although I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

I think people are short shrifting Ottawa as a team. At the game, I really noticed several of their guys (Williams, maybe Campbell) as players that look like near MLS caliber players, to me.
    Ottawa can't even support their hockey team in the Eastern finals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Perhaps. But let's put the ACC in Oakville and see how many people from Scarborough show up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The seats that don't sell at Scotiabank are top corner upper level seats that cost $200 each.

People in Ottawa should be applauded for their intelligence, not scorned for this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    I really believe that the return game in Toronto should be treated as a "you made this bed, now lie in it" situation. Those
    who looked subUSL in Ottawa need to play again. No bailing them out with the starting 11.
    Rest Moor and Cheyrou - play Cooper, Hernandez, Endoh and all Canadians (Raheem Edwards has ducked out of return responsibilities with his red).
    This x 1000 times!
    Plus this will be the only way to see clearly what these guys worth for real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always great to see the support from the traveling TFC fans.......however, whoever threw the can of beer towards the Fury player about to take the corner kick is an absolute moron (I am assuming it came from the TFC fans, if I am mistaken my apologies). Can you imagine how much trouble our club would be in if that can had hit the Fury player? Why the hell would someone do that!!!
    I hope whoever was in close proximity to where that can came from called out the perpetrator. We don't need that type of moronic behaviour associated with our fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    A number of fans are ticked off with Melnyk for doubling the cost of parking at the CTC for playoff games. That, and they don't like the way he's dealt with laying off some long-serving staff members. If they make it to the Stanley cup, I think you'll see sellouts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The seats that don't sell at Scotiabank are top corner upper level seats that cost $200 each.

People in Ottawa should be applauded for their intelligence, not scorned for this.
    Yeah exactly. Don't scorn people for making sound, rational decisions and not simply pissing away their money to "support the team".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

team looked way too casual and paid for it.....hopefully they've learned the lesson for Leg 2....

I blame the loss on Vanney's choice of clothing.....he was not looking dapper in his usual suit and had the track gear on instead....

He looked like Paul Mariner era TFC and the team played like Paul Mariner era TFC.....all he was missing was the taped up temple on a pair of glasses....and Reggie Lambe.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah plunging Canadians for hockey tickets appears to be a national past time. Meanwhile if they sold those tickets at anything close to a reasonable price the arena would be full.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody mentioned the blue shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The Fury standard chant for visiting kit like that is:
    "You're Blue!
    You're White!
    Your team is full of shite!
    Edmonton... Edmonton..."
    They really don't like FCE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The impact affiliation must hurt then...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    team looked way too casual and paid for it.....hopefully they've learned the lesson for Leg 2....

I blame the loss on Vanney's choice of clothing.....he was not looking dapper in his usual suit and had the track gear on instead....

He looked like Paul Mariner era TFC and the team played like Paul Mariner era TFC.....all he was missing was the taped up temple on a pair of glasses....and Reggie Lambe.....
    You're bringing back a ton of bad memories bro!

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    There is a small article in the Ottawa Sun about the game last night, but nary a mention in the Ottawa Citizen or Metro newspapers. It was all about the Sens.
    And you're surprised?? The Ottawa Media bailed on all sports below the NHL/CFL long ago. The soccer team gets little to no mention all of the time. The only reason this game got any advance press was because an MLS team was in town.
    Did anyone know that our local BaseBall team was also playing on Wednesday night?? Nope. Like the Fury they are all but forgotten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck82 View Post
    Switching the location of the cameras would make a world of difference.
    Some of the Ottawa Supporters did offer to make cardboard cutouts for some of the North Grandstand seats. We could get David Beckham ... The PM ... Shakira ... Dr. Who .... the mind boggles at who we could have at our game
    We figured if it caught on we might get all sorts of submissions for our "Phantom Fan" stand.

OSEG was not amused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Always great to see the support from the traveling TFC fans.......however, whoever threw the can of beer towards the Fury player about to take the corner kick is an absolute moron (I am assuming it came from the TFC fans, if I am mistaken my apologies). Can you imagine how much trouble our club would be in if that can had hit the Fury player? Why the hell would someone do that!!!
    I hope whoever was in close proximity to where that can came from called out the perpetrator. We don't need that type of moronic behaviour associated with our fans.
    Sitting in the Ottawa Supporters stand all I could think of was that the same thing happened to David Beckham in the Skydome while playing TFC.
    All it takes is one moron to tarnish the reputation of a great group of supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah plunging Canadians for hockey tickets appears to be a national past time. Meanwhile if they sold those tickets at anything close to a reasonable price the arena would be full.
    Meh, didn't know about their pricing scam but the point was a soccer team may not take off their if potential owners can't see it being sold out regularly despite parking costs and expensive seats and what not. Kudos to the fans for not being doormats but from a potential team investor standpoint they're not going to be excited about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    Sitting in the Ottawa Supporters stand all I could think of was that the same thing happened to David Beckham in the Skydome while playing TFC.
    All it takes is one moron to tarnish the reputation of a great group of supporters.
    Yep, that incident came to my mind too. But I also couldn't help think (and this is no disrespect to Ottawa Fury) but why the hell would you throw a beer can at a USL player in a game played in front of 7000 plus fans? . It's not like the Fury are some despised rival of ours. I guess I just don't get that type of idiotic behaviour at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Yep, that incident came to my mind too. But I also couldn't help think (and this is no disrespect to Ottawa Fury) but why the hell would you throw a beer can at a USL player in a game played in front of 7000 plus fans? . It's not like the Fury are some despised rival of ours. I guess I just don't get that type of idiotic behaviour at all.
    Why throw a beer onto the field or at a player at all? or anything for that matter!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Why throw a beer onto the field or at a player at all? or anything for that matter!!
    Oh I totally agree with you.