Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Actually TFC's passing & possession stats were vastly superior to Ottawa in the first half, but they did almost nothing with it. Only two shots on goal AFAIK. And then the 2nd half was a complete shit show.
    What was the pass completion rate?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guys we put out there had zero chemistry.

These games are trap games, and this is exactly what happened to Vancouver last year in Ottawa.

The margin between USL and MLS, excluding DPs, is not that big.

Give Ottawa credit. The Ottawa players knew they were in the shop window, and it showed.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    What was the pass completion rate?
    The broadcast crew said it at the half, I can't remember exactly, I think it was 89% for TFC in the first half, compared with low 70s for Ottawa. TFC had 69% possession in the first half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The guys we put out there had zero chemistry.

These games are trap games, and this is exactly what happened to Vancouver last year in Ottawa.

The margin between USL and MLS, excluding DPs, is not that big.

Give Ottawa credit. The Ottawa players knew they were in the shop window, and it showed.
    Disagree with this, a bit. If TFC has Hagglund and Zavaleta and Delgado and Vazquez and Beitashour and Moor fully fit, it's a different game.

There were too many young players who underperformed, leading to capitulation in the second half.

For me, this Ottawa team is pretty poor. Created nothing at home. Both goals were provided to them, which is how lower tier side win these Cup games.

Not to take anything away from them, but TFC played a C+ team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Disagree with this, a bit. If TFC has Hagglund and Zavaleta and Delgado and Vazquez and Beitashour and Moor fully fit, it's a different game.

There were too many young players who underperformed, leading to capitulation in the second half.

For me, this Ottawa team is pretty poor. Created nothing at home. Both goals were provided to them, which is how lower tier side win these Cup games.

So I would expect a similar lineup next Wednesday, especially with the US playing a WCQ tuneup, three days later in Salt Lake? Plus Raheem is out two after being sent off, will be interesting to see how Greg views next week.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would we risk playing a DP on that fake field when it's an absolute nothing game? Because he has this weekend off? Would you like them to have the next 3 months off with a torn ACL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    After watching that I don't know how anyone can think Osario or Hamilton should see minutes with the first team. They can barely play at the USL level. That was painful to watch.
    This. Also, Edwards is acting like Balotteli, a talented potential who is going to squander his opportunities and earn a rep as an egotistic prima donna. Takes years to develop a good rep, and a couple dumbass acts like that to get your rep steam-rolled in this profession. Remember Kye Kamara? Neither do I!
    Last edited by mistercorporate; 05-23-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team looked to me like they had had no time together. Were hesitating a lot, not making the right runs, etc. Morgan looked ok as did Morrow. Oso looked like you would expect after missing a few games and not practicing but hesitation was his worst flaw. Ricketts was ok. Some of the others were very poor and agree that they looked disinterested or overconfident. Cooper Edwards and Chapman's performances were very surprising. Very. Cheyrou excellent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    A bunch of guys fighting for first team minutes played themselves out of said minutes. Everyone played like they didn't really care. Vanney and Irwin looked like they were ready to bust some heads in the locker room.

Now Vanney probably has to unsheathe a couple of big guns next week for at least the first half, when they should be resting. These guys tonight really let the entire team down, as far as planning and resting guys for the schedule ahead.

I expected a bit more intensity and pride, considering the streak of MLS results they've been on - and worked hard for.
    Sums up my thoughts. A lot of players blew their chances tonight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The team looked to me like they had had no time together. Were hesitating a lot, not making the right runs, etc. Morgan looked ok as did Morrow. Oso looked like you would expect after missing a few games and not practicing but hesitation was his worst flaw. Ricketts was ok. Some of the others were very poor and agree that they looked disinterested or overconfident. Cooper Edwards and Chapman's performances were very surprising. Very. Cheyrou excellent.
    Yeah, that's pretty much it for me.

As somebody said, 3 touches passes when 1 was needed.

Bigger question - how is Cheyrou?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought JMo Cheyrou and Hamilton were our best players on a terrible night. Did well up top alone, picked up an assist but should have scored on his header. I'll give the poor performers a break as they've all had much more quality performances than a Tuesday night in Ottawa. On to the return leg !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitecaps beating MTL at the 60th minute. Arrgghh! Pointy ball lines.

https://youtu.be/RDPkObJgQeM

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That game was a joke. Edwards gets a couple good performances in MLS games and some accolades for it and now he thinks he can run his mouth like a stupid shit. I got to believe you don't get that far into a soccer career without learning how to behave yourself on the pitch especially if you have a yellow already. You could really tell TFC thought they could get points just for showing up. Irwin, Cheyrou, Moor and Morrow seemed to have it together and show why they are starter quality but not enough to pick up the slack of the rest of them. Not counting Ricketts either in the slacker group since he never really got the ball but looked interested when he did get a couple touches. He never got to affect the game with no service. The rest of the guys show why they are either on the bench and/or with TFCII. Not the easiest when you throw a team together with no time to gel but these guys train together all the time so I expected much more and can't really give them that excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a point in time when I almost thought I was being too hard on Osorio, then this season happened and it culminated my thoughts from the past few seasons - he doesn't belong at this level. The regression is real. He's about to turn 25 he's no spring chicken anymore and thus the "he's young and promising argument" doesn't fly with me. Games like this should be his bread and butter - no better stage to fly the flag and build confidence, yet somehow against a USL side he still doesn't even look like he belongs. Now I know the guy wears TO on his sleeve on and off the field and I genuinely respect that but I truly feel he either needs a change of scenery where there's much less pressure on him OR as some hear have apparently heard - a move to the CPL next year as hard a pill as that might be for him to swallow.

Hamilton - COME ON MAN you have got to finish free headers. I've been an advocate for him and maybe he's been a victim of the formations used (he's completely ineffective as a lone striker) but I fear his window is shrinking. I actually can't tell whether he's more effective aerially or with his feet. I thought his string of performances starting in last years ACC would springboard his career but alas... I would have liked to see Spencer have a go although I did catch a bit of the TBR/FCII game friday and was unconvinced.

Cooper hasn't impressed me nearly as much as last year but I will say in a tough "concacaf" kind of game I'm not sure there's a better guy to have on your team. Disappointing there's no CCL this year for us - I think this squad we have could have made a legitimate run.

Lastly, Mr Chapman - Oh how I long for him to take a crack from the top of the box sometimes. I think if he added this to his game he'd be everything Oso should have been. I'm still waiting for someone on this team to have the balls to do that regularly and I think this team would be running high octane football.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post

I think this was a lesson in how motivation trumps talent.

I thought Ottawa did a decent job bottling up the midfield, they had long stretches where they were more effective. They held their shape pretty well. To your point, they couldn't create at all.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should have taken care of this tonight but if we were due for a sh!t show of a game tonight wasn't a bad time to have it. Flush it and take care of business at home next game.

Disappointing efforts from Edwards, Cooper, Osorio, and Chapman maybe Bradley not being out there threw everyone off a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the lineup Vanney put out. It was enough to take care of business. Then as the game unfolded there was an awful lack of drive from the players that needed to prove something. The veteran players like Cheyrou, Morrow, Irwin, Ricketts, Hamilton put in a professional performance while the fringe players given an opportunity completely blew it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got an away goal and the next game is on grass on our own field. We're fine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're not really fine. We're playing Tuesday - Friday - Wednesday - Saturday. Vanney will need to use players next Tuesday that he didn't want to. Plus I just heard that a couple of our top players may be missing for the 3rd & 4th game of this stretch, due to an international friendly.

This is the kind of thing that really pisses me off. Watch the highlight below, especially the second view within the video. Chapman sets up the 2nd Ottawa goal with a loopy pass across the middle. Then he remains on the sideline, watching with his head in his hands. Meanwhile a couple more Ottawa players flood towards the goal, with the side that Chapman is on totally exposed. Far too late, Chapman runs towards the middle to help out on defense.

Last edited by Auzzy; 05-24-2017 at 02:36 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper does that "I can't believe that happened" thing at least twice a game, with the twist of it being about not getting a foul - its become chronic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry but this an embarrassing result for the MLS players that played in this game ,embarrassing for those players!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of things were clear for me: Chapman works well in the 10 role with Gio and Altidore because he can trust their runs and move the ball instantly. He looks uncomfortable in any other role - there was another game ( Columbus) where he was poor when not in 10 position. So he is essentially a back up for Vasquez at the moment.

cooper was terrible and I think, by his body language, is on his way out.

edwards was lazy defensively. He needs a rocket from the coach

endoh was trying, at least.

i am a fan of Oso and I think people are being harsh given his heartbeat issues: he wouldn't have been training much and it showed. A bit hesitant. Gets a pass for me, the same way Delgado does despite his poor Red Bulls game: they have both showed more.

hamilton was ok.

the back three did not have it together, particularly in the second half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game was to be where Osorio, Cooper, Hamilton, Endoh, Chapman, Edwards, Morgan were to shine. And they didn't, disappointed to say the least.
    Cheyrou, Morrow, Moor and Irwin played as expected with drive and commitment.
    I was surprised at how immature and petulant Edwards was, (hoping it is just a one off) The Balotelli reference was golden in an earlier post.
    These are the players we have to depend on during a long and congested schedule, they looked disinterested and very, very amateur. Was this a case of we will just show up and get 3 points, this is football and on any night it is anyone's game, if our depth players have not figured that out yet they never will.

This should have been at least a 2-nil win for TFC, maybe 2-1 with penalty.

I guess we have to depend on Hamilton (he always appears slow and lazy to me) up front with Ricketts on Friday, Maybe Edwards needs to sit to stop that head swelling ego that is starting to develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really believe that the return game in Toronto should be treated as a "you made this bed, now lie in it" situation. Those
    who looked subUSL in Ottawa need to play again. No bailing them out with the starting 11.
    Rest Moor and Cheyrou - play Cooper, Hernandez, Endoh and all Canadians (Raheem Edwards has ducked out of return responsibilities with his red).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^We should 100% play the kids again next week.

You guys are taking this way too seriously. If Ottawa beats us, it spares us two tough games in June. I am really not sure we should be trying to win these games. I am quite happy to mail it in and play the game in August at BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are taking this way too seriously. If Ottawa beats us, it spares us two tough games in June. I am really not sure we should be trying to win these games. I am quite happy to mail it in and play the game in August at BMO
    Is the game in August the cup game?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I slept on it and had a chance to calm and cool down. That game still was shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

essentially yes

its the since we robbed you we giae you a 2nd chance, now smile and move on, game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the young guns, Endoh played hard and well. Chapman had a good game but made some boneheaded plays. Edwards played like a prima dona. Osoria is ready to be signed by the Woodbridge Strikers and Hamilton by the North Toronto Nitros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    I really believe that the return game in Toronto should be treated as a "you made this bed, now lie in it" situation. Those
    who looked subUSL in Ottawa need to play again. No bailing them out with the starting 11.
    Rest Moor and Cheyrou - play Cooper, Hernandez, Endoh and all Canadians (Raheem Edwards has ducked out of return responsibilities with his red).
    Agreed, except that they need to get the defence correct. I'd go with an experienced back three plus Cheyrou, then other players from yesterday.

morgan wasn't bad given he is coming back from foot surgery and should start.