Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 11 - TFC @ Columbus Wednesday May 10 7:30pm - Need Some Getback

Here we are....25 days later

Have at It People

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be at joes.

Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 05-08-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are in a better spot going to Columbus this time. I will be happy with the point, you have to expect we will drop points at some point. Here's hoping we keep winning though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have we ever won 6 games in a row or is 5 the most we achieved?
    I want a win Vs Columbus and vs Minnesota and then they can drop points. For once I want a big winning streak and pull away from the pack in the standings. Nothing less.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling pretty good. First half against Columbus was going pretty great last time until TFC fell asleep defensively for what...7 min or something like that when they scored twice? I can't see that happening again. TFC will handle their business this time. Don't want to see us too overconfident about the Loons either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts on the lineup? Seems like everyone who was left at home for Seattle would play (unless there are some injuries we don't know about).

I could see Morrow getting rested ... maybe with Edwards and Morgan splitting the duties down the left? (Morgan is fit again, right?)

And does Chapman start in mid next to Vasquez? He may have earned it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Altidore, Hagglund, Morrow are up for rotation. Maybe throw in Edwards and Delgado as well.

I think they'll be looking to make sure we have our full starting 11 back for the home game against Minnesota. Could even see them resting Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I think Altidore, Hagglund, Morrow are up for rotation. Maybe throw in Edwards and Delgado as well.

I think they'll be looking to make sure we have our full starting 11 back for the home game against Minnesota. Could even see them resting Bradley.
    I saw an interview with Bradley before the Seattle game and he was asked how comes he never gets rested for games. His answer was pretty obvious, he loves playing and wants to play every minute. Steven Caldwell also mentioned during the Seattle game that Bradley is probably the fittest player he has ever played with. All that said I don't think he will be rested this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No trust me I totally get that. Bradley is a freak of an athlete. If it were up to him I'm sure he'd demand to play. But The idea though that he has to play 7 games in a month, even excluding the two Cup games, before he goes off to the gold cup worries me. Lets not forgot that we played him a ton before the world cup in 2014 where he got hurt and played out the rest of the season on basically what was a broken leg which he had to get surgery on in the offseason.

Just because he can and he wants to doesn't necessarily mean we should let him play every minute. Vanney and the rest of the coaching staff need to have enough balls to tell him that he's gonna have to rest every once in a while. We're deep enough so that it shouldn't be such a massive loss too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we start the best 11, which is the squad that started against Chicago, Houston & Orlando.

Rest will be for the Loons (which is a trap game if I've ever seen one - not only the end of a long stretch of games but its in the afternoon so will have a totally different feel).
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-08-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is an obvious one to rest with a long history of hamstring issues and two cross country flights in as many days. I think we can expect that Morrow will be rotated out as well, and then Vanney has some tough choice in midfield as the play of Chapman, Cheyrou, and Osorio justified more minutes for each of them. He may surprise us in the midfield given the need to match up against Columbus there. Something like Giovinco - Hamilton - Vasquez - Cheyrou (Delgado/ Osorio) - -Bradley - Edwards -Mavinga - hagglund - Zavaleta - Beitashour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    No trust me I totally get that. Bradley is a freak of an athlete. If it were up to him I'm sure he'd demand to play. But The idea though that he has to play 7 games in a month, even excluding the two Cup games, before he goes off to the gold cup worries me. Lets not forgot that we played him a ton before the world cup in 2014 where he got hurt and played out the rest of the season on basically what was a broken leg which he had to get surgery on in the offseason.

Just because he can and he wants to doesn't necessarily mean we should let him play every minute. Vanney and the rest of the coaching staff need to have enough balls to tell him that he's gonna have to rest every once in a while. We're deep enough so that it shouldn't be such a massive loss too.
    Oh I totally agree with you on that, I just wonder who exactly is the boss when it comes to making that call. I would hope it would be Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think we start the best 11, which is the squad that started against Chicago, Houston & Orlando.

Rest will be for the Loons (which is a trap game if I've ever seen one - not only the end of a long stretch of games but its in the afternoon so will have a totally different feel).
    I think Chapman may have made a case for himself ahead of Delgado.

and ...oh yes. With what they just did to Kansas....you are spot on here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    I think Chapman may have made a case for himself ahead of Delgado.

and ...oh yes. With what they just did to Kansas....you are spot on here.
    Chapman is a replacement for Vazquez. Delgado is more equivalent to Cooper/Osorio. And since we are flowing better and winning with Delgado, we keep him until he needs a break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver-based TFC fans: is there anyplace in Vancouver you gather to watch games? I'm in Vancouver this week looking for housing (relocating from Washington later this summer), and would enjoy meeting up to watch Columbus lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree! That would be the best case scenario. We always seem to struggle with Columbus but having rested some keys players for the Seattle game, we should come out on top. Minnesota being the newcomers, one would think TFC can take all three points!

Not too sure about the win streak? Can anyone else confirm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would like to see Vanney push some guys who are struggling for fitness as 3 points would be big. Don't want to lose both our games this season at that dump.
    Irwin
    Zavaleta Hagglund Hernandez
    Morrow Bradley Delgado Beitashour
    Vasquez Chapman
    Giovinco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Jozy is an obvious one to rest with a long history of hamstring issues and two cross country flights in as many days. I think we can expect that Morrow will be rotated out as well, and then Vanney has some tough choice in midfield as the play of Chapman, Cheyrou, and Osorio justified more minutes for each of them. He may surprise us in the midfield given the need to match up against Columbus there. Something like Giovinco - Hamilton - Vasquez - Cheyrou (Delgado/ Osorio) - -Bradley - Edwards -Mavinga - hagglund - Zavaleta - Beitashour
    I'm actually surprised Jozy played that much in Seattle on the turf. I could totally see Ricketts starting this game, or maybe even Hamilton.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SarniaTFC View Post
    Would like to see Vanney push some guys who are struggling for fitness as 3 points would be big. Don't want to lose both our games this season at that dump.
    Irwin
    Zavaleta Hagglund Hernandez
    Morrow Bradley Delgado Beitashour
    Vasquez Chapman
    Giovinco
    I could see it slightly changed:

Irwin
    Zavaleta Hernandez Haggs
    Morrow Bradley Cheyrou Beitashour
    Vazquez Delgado
    Seba

Subs
    Ricketts for Seba
    Chapman for Vazquez
    Oso for Cheyrou
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how well they're doing in training but I assume Hamilton or Ricketts will get a start along side Seba. Maybe Spencer as a target forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    I could see it slightly changed:

Irwin
    Zavaleta Hernandez Haggs
    Morrow Bradley Cheyrou Beitashour
    Vazquez Delgado
    Seba

Subs
    Ricketts for Seba
    Chapman for Vazquez
    Oso for Cheyrou
    I just don't see Cheyrou being able to put about 60 minutes in. Can see Chapman starting after his spectacular performance in Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Not sure how well they're doing in training but I assume Hamilton or Ricketts will get a start along side Seba. Maybe Spencer as a target forward.
    I was thinking the same and thinking Hamilton, because he is more of a target man than Ricketts. Depends on the tactics, really. Columbus is strong in midfield and exploited our defensive weaknesses last time. Does Ricketts pace or Hamilton's hold up play answer that best? Both could work, Ricketts on the counter.

Also might see Edwards not start for this one. Maybe Morrow starts at wingback and Edwards comes back in for Saturday and Morrow rests then. Morrow-Mavinga-Zavaleta-Hagglund-Beitashour

They will likely also want a two in front of the back three: like a 3-4-1-2. They might put Cooper or Oso in there for match up reasons (Higuan)
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-09-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton and Chapman played really well in their 2 games against Columbus last year. Completely had their number. Hope they get the start tomorrow night - they deserve it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the tactics of our team has utilized since we have played with 3 at the back, but in particular I love the 3-4-2-1, because it is great defensive/counter attacking system, provided you have the WB and DMs that you need, and we have them. But I like that Vanney is adjusting the basic system depending on the personal that we have, and/or opponent that we are facing. It should be understood that these are not whole sale changes which may cause confusion due to the lack of familiarity, but variations on the same theme.

Now, while I like the 3-4-2-1 the best, it will work best if Bradley has a responsible partner at DM like Cheyrou, which Allow either, but particularity Bradley to push up when prudent, while the team still holds a good defensive shape with the other DM staying back. Further, I would mostly like to see this formation tweeked when Giovinco plays to a 3-4-1-2, with Giovinco and Jozy up top and backed by one CM, Vasquez being the best candidate. The only concern that I could have is playing the 3-4-2-1 is with Giovinco up top by himslef, I do think that in general it work better with a bigger stronger CF to hold up the ball, and that Giovinco would be murdered up there, in light of the amount of protection he gets from the refs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The three keys to the game are said to be defensive organization, stopping Higuan, and prowess in the air. Hagglund clearly plays and maybe a more defensive midfield selection and formation. We might see Oso and Cooper for defensive positioning; Cheyrou for savvy and I think certainly Morrow preferred to Edwards.

And trane's post is terrific. Generally, Vanney prefers 3-4-1-2
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-09-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It feels so great to look forward with this much anticipation to every game again.

One more day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think at some point during this fixture congestion he's got to give Bradley a rest. This might be the game for me.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to more away viewing action at Joe's tomnorrow. Break the week up with us, large font aficionados and trillium hunters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UpTheReds View Post
    I think at some point during this fixture congestion he's got to give Bradley a rest. This might be the game for me.
    He's on 3 yellows. He'll get his day off soon enough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The three keys to the game are said to be defensive organization, stopping Higuan, and prowess in the air. Hagglund clearly plays and maybe a more defensive midfield selection and formation. We might see Oso and Cooper for defensive positioning; Cheyrou for savvy and I think certainly Morrow preferred to Edwards.

And trane's post is terrific. Generally, Vanney prefers 3-4-1-2
    as good as higuain has been this season, I think the key to stopping Columbus is stopping will trapp who is the key cog and has more touches for Columbus than anyone else. Stop trapp and cut the supply to higuain. Columbus forced to go to flanks for crosses for ola kamara who is a good striker but avg in the air.