Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have we ever played that badly and won? Ever?
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Osorio has a lot of skill on the ball. His minutes are dropping because of our depth, we are overloaded in midfield.

I don't know why he has become a bit of a whipping boy around here.
    Because of what you said. "On the ball". Off the ball, Oso needs a lot of work to be a regular starter with our depth. And his decision-making can sometimes leave me shaking my head. If you look at VV's off the ball play, combined with his positioning and skill on the ball, it's a big difference. The football IQ of a guy who came out of La Masia is showing and there's a reason why so many good players come out of that place.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio has a lot of skill on the ball. His minutes are dropping because of our depth, we are overloaded in midfield.

I don't know why he has become a bit of a whipping boy around here.
    Thats how I feel. He played decently last night and had some very good ball movement. The problem wasn't him, it was the formation and the fact that Chapman was playing in a position he hasn't had minutes in, so he was thinking his way around the field. It was not set up right for any of them. I think Vanney was trying to make it 5-1-3-1 and if so it must be Vazquez OR Chapman and the players beside one of them need to be two of Osorio, Delgado or Cooper.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    In case someone hasn't already posted this.

Ha! Good Pull!!
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I just wanted to say:

First goal was Cheyrou - Vazquez - Edwards - Ricketts.

Second goal was Cheyrou - Edwards - Vazquez - Ricketts.

Second goal. I watched that probably 5 times on the PVR. I slowed it down - Vazquez starts celebrating just before Ricketts gets a foot on the ball - well before the ball went in. What a touch! Pure Gold!
    Road Games:
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats one of the funniest ive seen

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I must confess, I turned off the TV in the 78th minute and told my son when he got home that TFC lost 1-0. My son just checked the score and I feel stupid. Tobias time usually happens *against* TFC, not *for* TFC. How the heck did they manage to win that game?
    Around the same time I went to pick up dinner - figured I was good to go and that TFC would lose. Happily, they did not and I had set my PVR so I backed it up and watched the final 15 min or so again.
    Road Games:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday. Edwards has to start, and they will go back to the normal three at the back. I think Altidore gets a rest, and maybe Bradley ( heavy legs), but otherwise going as close to the earlier line up as possible: Irwin Beitshour Zavaleta (Moor?) Hagglund Morrow Edwards Cheyrou Delgado Vanquez Giovinco Ricketts with Hamilton coming on if all is going well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smash and grab for 3!!! what a game.....games like this make me happier than ones where we win in dominating fashion....woooooo!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have we ever played that badly and won? Ever?
    Maybe the start of the Miracle in Montreal game... but not 80 minutes of bad for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    Second goal. I watched that probably 5 times on the PVR. I slowed it down - Vazquez starts celebrating just before Ricketts gets a foot on the ball - well before the ball went in. What a touch! Pure Gold!
    He knew it was going to go in!!!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-11-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man TFC looked tired and out of sorts last night. When Jozy had the penalty it was the first time I thought to myself...it is going to be saved. Reason being it was just one of those nights. There was nothing happening for us. I am in utter shock even this morning of what went down in the last 10 min. Definitely a "start the car!" moment when it ended with us on top. Interesting part about our two Columbus games is that in the first game we had it fairly under control but fell asleep defensively for about 10 min and they scored twice. Now tonight the tables were reversed. They had it under control until they fell asleep a bit defensively. The energy from Edwards helped ignite that for us though. Good for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Also, how about Hagglund anchoring our back line during this run? The guy has been immense.
    I think we have a tendency to think 2017 Hagglund should be the same as 2014 Hagglund, just a raw CB that shouldn't be starting. His development this year has been fun to watch.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vasquez is a one man case study of the tiny little things that can separate elite players from the group.

98% of the time he looks exactly like Osorio. But he has 8 assists in 10 games (or whatever).
    On the first goal, his turn after receiving the ball near midfield to start the attack was pure class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
    On the first goal, his turn after receiving the ball near midfield to start the attack was pure class.
    yes, that connection with him and cheyrou is proof that synergy has a huge impact in soccer.

cheyrou doesnt try that pass with a lesser MLS level player. that simply was not a passing channel that happens in the tradtional MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_4_Life View Post
    Three stars:
    1: Edwards
    2: Ricketts - There is a reason he is not a starter in MLS and does not have a complete package of skills. But the criticism is overstated. He has provided quality output for his minutes and role.
    3. Vanney - Original game plan didn't work and made necessary in game changes. Both in terms of tactics and subs.

Not pretty and frustrating for most, but hard to be overly critical of TFC in this game considering the ridiculous situation of playing 3rd game in 8 days. Which makes the result that much more satisfying.

I hate playing C-bus. Every time we beat them, which is not that often, i chant "Sub-prime mortgages / clap clap clap-clap clap" which is what we chanted on the bus ride through Columbus in the road trip of 2009.

Honorable mention to Cheyrou. I just love what this guy is all about. Pure class.
    I cant wait to see what Cheyrou can teach the youngsters as a coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those guys were tired.

Not sharp/crisp with the play and passing which along with the formation mismatch led to a very frustrating first 40.(well..75..)

What didn't get a lot of mention was that their flight to the Wet Coast puke green game got in at 1am. they then played at 12 the next day. I got to a conference on a late flight once and couldn't concentrate for 2 days but these guys did the work, flew back and hit CBUS within 1/2 a week. So understandably tired and a team rotated massively since the homestand.

Glad Edwards got some minutes while mostly fresh at the end of the game to inject his energy and pace. He cramped up early in Seattle so was wondering what his recovery would be like.

Also wondered what it would be like with Vazquez and Cheyrou on the pitch at the same time......sublime linkups and calming presence is the answer.

hopefully my neighbours didn't go to be early as I started clapping when the first went in and screaming when the second dropped (and Vazquez celebrating as the ball is being hit.....wow...such vision that he can see the angle of the foot strike and know the keeper isn't getting there.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And poor CBUS. with the excellent teams they field how is there not more support. How do those players get up for a game as often as they do with such patchy support? And Higuain deserves a raise.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I think we have a tendency to think 2017 Hagglund should be the same as 2014 Hagglund, just a raw CB that shouldn't be starting. His development this year has been fun to watch.
    It's hard to be patient with young defenders, because of the impact their mistakes often have. But even the greats go through early foibles and growing pains. It's a position that improves with time and that's why defenders tend to hit their prime later.

Both Hagglund and Zavaleta have been steadily improving and, if his trajectory continues, Hagglund could be our anchor back there for the next decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    Those guys were tired.

Not sharp/crisp with the play and passing which along with the formation mismatch led to a very frustrating first 40.(well..75..)

What didn't get a lot of mention was that their flight to the Wet Coast puke green game got in at 1am. they then played at 12 the next day. I got to a conference on a late flight once and couldn't concentrate for 2 days but these guys did the work, flew back and hit CBUS within 1/2 a week. So understandably tired and a team rotated massively since the homestand.

Glad Edwards got some minutes while mostly fresh at the end of the game to inject his energy and pace. He cramped up early in Seattle so was wondering what his recovery would be like.

Also wondered what it would be like with Vazquez and Cheyrou on the pitch at the same time......sublime linkups and calming presence is the answer.

hopefully my neighbours didn't go to be early as I started clapping when the first went in and screaming when the second dropped (and Vazquez celebrating as the ball is being hit.....wow...such vision that he can see the angle of the foot strike and know the keeper isn't getting there.)

FYI pretty sure their flight got in at 1am Friday not 1am Saturday. They were gassed for training on Friday in Seattle before the game but they didn't arrive at 1am the night before the game. Still, I'm sure it impacted them but definitely not as crazy of a turnaround as you stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Cheyrou pass on the first goal... wow. Steps up, waits until the last possible second and several Columbus players are dedicated to closing off the lane, and slips it past all of them opening the void for Vasquez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    FYI pretty sure their flight got in at 1am Friday not 1am Saturday. They were gassed for training on Friday in Seattle before the game but they didn't arrive at 1am the night before the game. Still, I'm sure it impacted them but definitely not as crazy of a turnaround as you stated.
    Thanks. I must have completely misunderstood what KJ said then. too much beer.
    It didn't make sense to me that they would travel that far and not have at least a day on the ground.

cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really entertaining reading this game thread after the fact. Thanks to all who contributed to the doom & gloom before the miraculous win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    Really entertaining reading this game thread after the fact. Thanks to all who contributed to the doom & gloom before the miraculous win.
    LOL, this is why I try not to post in game. I just do it out-loud to who ever is around and have to back track when I get it all wrong. There is something to be said about calling out a player and having them step up and make a fool of you. Happens all the time.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Supporting TFC is hard, sometimes. I wonder how long it will take before we get over the first years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The PTSD is strong with this group.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    The PTSD is strong with this group.
    So many fucking times, man. So many heartbreaks. So many late game goals against. So many collapses. The New York debacle. It tends to make you expect it. Logically, I know this is different. I can be rational about it most of the time. But that twinge is there; the little demon chained to my soul who tells me "here we go again" or "they're going to collapse again". I can ignore him most of the time, but sometimes he gets out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC played like crap for most of the game. Mostly understandable, considering fatigue, and lineup changes which were necessary but also meant there was not a huge amount of familiarity with the system or the teammates. Columbus was better, but not that great, so it wasn't a very entertaining match for long periods. Altidore's PK could have really helped the game. A handball PK on Hagglund, or an easy goal that Meram missed could have made it much worse. The comeback was amazing and surprising. We made ample fun of ourselves for doubting Ricketts beforehand. All very understandable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    The comeback was amazing and surprising. We made ample fun of ourselves for doubting Ricketts beforehand. All very understandable.
    What made it entertaining for me was that, while reading the posts, I was essentially revisiting my internal monologue... What a terrible, terrible game - until suddenly it wasn't...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's why I love this game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Supporting TFC is hard, sometimes. I wonder how long it will take before we get over the first years.
    I think we haven't shown ourselves recovered until our avatars change to something more positive, lol.

It may take some time to get over 9 years of heart-breaking, soul-sucking, hope destroying, devastating, cynicism spreading crap that was TFC that would have totally killed the support of any less fervent fan base.

If TFC had been in a promotion/relegation setup it would have lost professional status by year 5. We got 9 years of hopeless.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-11-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto