Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The SS can't possibly be considered the League Championship because of the totally whacked out schedules in MLS (see for example TFC having two double gameweeks in a row). Let alone the fact that we don't play a balanced schedule.

It is a piece of silverware, so of course go for it, but it's not comparable to, say, the EPL league title.
    I have to agree, although if the league were better organized it could easily become more meaningful.

As things stand we should be playing each side in our own conference home and away plus every side in the opposing conference once a year (5 home games, 5 away games, alternating on a year to year basis) Although not perfect it would at least bring greater parity to things instead of playing Columbus 3 times. I know that's only 30 games but this would increase with expansion and hopefully playoff games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be noted that much of this bad run of fixture congestion falls on the shoulders of our own FO. Each team is allowed to veto a certain number of dates/weekends to play on if they coincide with international fixtures. The last two years we've opted to take multiple bye weeks early in the year so as to play the fewest amount of games where our best players are unavailable. This usually just applies to Altidore and Bradley specifically.

Neither situation is totally ideal but i get why they make the choice they do.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Should be noted that much of this bad run of fixture congestion falls on the shoulders of our own FO. Each team is allowed to veto a certain number of dates/weekends to play on if they coincide with international fixtures. The last two years we've opted to take multiple bye weeks early in the year so as to play the fewest amount of games where our best players are unavailable. This usually just applies to Altidore and Bradley specifically.

Neither situation is totally ideal but i get why they make the choice they do.
    I don't think it that bad. I mean, it gets this congested most years just at different times of the year. And then the team complains about it. Like every team. Meh.

The veto info is interesting as to how FO select and move dates around. Even making deals with other teams. It's no wonder our leagues schedules are so out of wack.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this to make the Supporters Shield more meaningful. Winner gets bye directly to two game MLS Cup Final. I know its a long time to be off, but if the playoffs can be compressed somehow it then gives a team a huge advantage and more teams would fight to be the overall season champs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    How about this to make the Supporters Shield more meaningful. Winner gets bye directly to two game MLS Cup Final. I know its a long time to be off, but if the playoffs can be compressed somehow it then gives a team a huge advantage and more teams would fight to be the overall season champs.
    Biggest improvement to get peeps onside would be the Honour Guard for the winner the match after. I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weekly update!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guaranteed to be at the top after this weeks set of games as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I would like to see something like cups for winning each conference, with buys to the conference playoff final. Then a final between the east and west winners to determine the league champion. Something more like Major League Baseball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our unbeaten run will come to an end at some point but I hope not this weekend. Important time to put in some daylight before the international breaks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather see them make the shield as big of a deal as titles in Europe. It should be the main trophy for the league and then run the MLS Cup earlier, start it during the latter half of season and let it run after the season ends and let it become something like the FA Cup or Cope Del Ray. Then there would still be "playoff" matches after the regular season ended but the final wouldn't drag out to be in December.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The American's already have their version of the FA cup. It's one of the two or three oldest competitions in the world.

I know some people don't like the playoffs - it certainly has its drawbacks - but it's not like multiple leagues in Europe or anywhere else around the world don't use playoffs. Most of them just happen to do a worse version of what we have, but there you go. I fucking loved the playoffs last year. The two Montreal games were two of the best nights of my life. That wouldn't have happened without the playoffs.

I'd suggest that the winner of the cup and the winner of the supporters shield play each other in a one off at the beginning of the next season a la Community shield. Wouldn't mean much but it's a way for fans to settle stuff like this if they feel the need to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest that the winner of the cup and the winner of the supporters shield play each other in a one off at the beginning of the next season a la Community shield. Wouldn't mean much but it's a way for fans to settle stuff like this if they feel the need to.
    what happens when it's the same team? 2nd in shield race?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The American's already have their version of the FA cup. It's one of the two or three oldest competitions in the world.

I know some people don't like the playoffs - it certainly has its drawbacks - but it's not like multiple leagues in Europe or anywhere else around the world don't use playoffs. Most of them just happen to do a worse version of what we have, but there you go. I fucking loved the playoffs last year. The two Montreal games were two of the best nights of my life. That wouldn't have happened without the playoffs.

There is a playoff going on right now in the Championship. Big reward - promotion to the Premier League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    what happens when it's the same team? 2nd in shield race?
    I could see solid arguments for the runner up of either competition to play the game. Shield runner up would reward the second best team over the course of the season. Cup runner up would mean a rematch of the final and therefore likely more interest and higher ratings. I'd be fine with either. Very rarely do teams do the double in this league so it wouldn't be a reoccurring issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine the following scenario: TFC somehow manages to lose the Canadian Championships this year and the playoff. They then go on to win the Supporters Shield and MLS cup. Regardless, TFC would not be able to play in the 2018 CCL despite being the best team in the league. Would Garber make an amendment to allow a Canadian team to take an MLS spot if that team completes the league double?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Imagine the following scenario: TFC somehow manages to lose the Canadian Championships this year and the playoff. They then go on to win the Supporters Shield and MLS cup. Regardless, TFC would not be able to play in the 2018 CCL despite being the best team in the league. Would Garber make an amendment to allow a Canadian team to take an MLS spot if that team completes the league double?
    No way, Garber will not give away a spot for an American team to play in the CCL to a Canadian Team (I think this is teams are appointed by the USSF and not the MLS, making it impossible as TFC is not part of the USSF). MLS want to win the CCL to prove to the Mexican teams it is legitimate and Garber I am sure would much prefer it to be an American team, that coupled with the fact that we already have 2 chances to qualify, via the 2017 Canadian Championship and a playoff with the winner because we did not get the birth for winning last year. How many chances does one team need? If we don't make it we only have ourselves to blame.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I don't think it that bad. I mean, it gets this congested most years just at different times of the year. And then the team complains about it. Like every team. Meh.

The veto info is interesting as to how FO select and move dates around. Even making deals with other teams. It's no wonder our leagues schedules are so out of wack.
    And it's about to get more congested in 2018 when you factor in the CONCACAF schedule early in the year, meaning that we pick up games later in the year around this time - when we are trying to win the Canadian Championship again (Feb - May 2018).
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the playoff system and it's not going anywhere. What I would like to see, and would maybe convert the none playoff believers is to cut it down from 6 in each division to 4 in each division makes the playoffs. Make it tougher like baseball. The last 2 years the conference winners haven't made the final. I would give them a reward for finishing 1st. I do this:
    1st place in each conference go straight to the conference finals.
    2nd plays the winner of the 3v4 in a two legged semi final
    3 host 4 in a one game play in for the chance at playing 2.
    This would also help cut the playoffs by a week, which as we saw in the finals, would do the northern teams a lot in terms of weather.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are not cutting the playoff teams.

Playoff games = $

If anything, they will increase the playoff amount up to 16 when the league gets to 32

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my view a supporters shield would be equal to an MLS Cup win, given this clubs struggles early in its history.

A botched call by ref could be the difference in a playoff game, despite a dominant season resulting in first place.

MLS playoffs are like a domestic cup competition after the league season is over. We all know they will never get rid of the playoff system. The Supporters Shield is even more significant as the league continues adding franchises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that we should be taking the Supporters' Shield seriously, but I'd like to offer my thought on playoffs:

The final should not be a single game.

A two game tie would minimize a team's ability to win the Cup without taking a shot.

Can you imagine if the Stanley Cup was awarded in a single game?

Put another way: I value the Conference Championship more than the Cup because it was the winner of a proper tie. I also think the Memorial Cup is fun but pointless - the league winners have already done the hard work. (That the host Windsor couldn't make it out of the 1st round and then get to win the Cup is point in case.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    I agree that we should be taking the Supporters' Shield seriously, but I'd like to offer my thought on playoffs:

A two game tie would minimize a team's ability to win the Cup without taking a shot.

Put another way: I value the Conference Championship more than the Cup because it was the winner of a proper tie. I also think the Memorial Cup is fun but pointless - the league winners have already done the hard work. (That the host Windsor couldn't make it out of the 1st round and then get to win the Cup is point in case.)
    Well, the world's greatest club competition, the UEFA Champions League, is decided in a 1 game final, after all the previous knockout rounds were decided by a two legged affair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my dream league competition set up (zero chance of this happening):

Close expansion at 16 teams in two regional conferences. No inter-conference games. Conf championship is 1 vs (2 v 3). Conf champs play for league championship, in two legged final completed by end of November. New knock out trophy tournament played during season with first round random draw regardless of conference (giving opportunities to bench players to get some tournament time).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Dunkers, you are correct that the US CCL spots are awarded by the USSF, just like in England the UEFA CL spots are awarded by the FA. It's not MLS's decision. In fact, one CCL spot is awarded to the winner of the US Open Cup, which is available to all clubs, professional or amateur regardless of league. So a USL team could be one of the US teams in the CCL.

Canadian teams don't play in the USOC, and the USSF won't sanction a Canadian team through MLS. So the Supporters Shield is only significant to us for its own right.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-29-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Well, the world's greatest club competition, the UEFA Champions League, is decided in a 1 game final, after all the previous knockout rounds were decided by a two legged affair.
    Just because they do it wrong doesn't mean we have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champions league final is in a neutral venue though. I think a two-legged final is really the way it ought to be.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I would actually watch a Stanley Cup Final match single game. More casuals would. Ever been to a Superbowl party not watching a single regular or playoff game leading up to it? Millions do.

Just because they do it wrong doesn't mean we have to.
    This I agree with regarding MANY topics. Well. One in particular.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banning Snow Cold & Winter would probably solve all this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unfortunately in NA the regular season is considered the preseason for the almighty playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also been keeping track of this. I have slightly different stats:

TEAM PTS
    Toronto 70.43
    Chicago 60.31
    Sporting KC 58.08
    FC Dallas 56.34
    NYCFC 55.25
    Atlanta 52.46
    Orlando 50.19
    Houston 48.98
    LA Galaxy 48.17
    Portland 48.17
    Columbus 46.14
    San Jose 46.14
    Vancouver 45.33
    Red Bull 44.63
    Revolution 44.52
    Seattle 43.31
    Philadelphia 40.88
    DC United 40.80
    Montreal 40.80
    Minnesota 34.81
    Real Salt Lake 34.00
    Colorado 28.33

I've based my stats off of home points per game and away points per game and used a simple equation for this (HPPG x 17) + (APPG x 17) to determine my final standings. I believe it gives a more accurate outlook