Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    It really worries me that Vanney would take off Vasquez when he did, that is absolutely handing the game to Orlando and only blind luck kept them out. Overall he's done a great job but I think his substitutions are boardering on awful and he needs to figure that out
    Briliant player. But if you are trying to defend a lead, he is not your man.. and if you have four games in ten nights, a guy with long term injury issues like Vasquez might just need his minutes managed.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-03-2017 at 10:12 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we're tied for second with NYRB after they lost today, and we've played one less game. In fact, we've got the fifth-best PPG in the whole league.

BTW we were lucky that Johnson was ill today and not even in their 18. With the extra energy from a motivated Johnson in midfield, that game would have been much harder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly disagree. Strongly. Good players are who you want on the pitch when defending a lead. Barcelona don't sub off Messi when a goal up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the opposite is true. Playing the way you played to dominate a team is not risky, playing a strategy of putting everyone behind the ball and handing the game to the opposition - that's risky. Blind luck kept us in a game that after 40 minutes we could have been winning by four. Good teams don't do that. When good teams are winning they keep pressing the advantage. Don't get me wrong this team is for sure a contender but Vanneys subs terrify me. There's a reason we can't beat ten men and I suspect it's the same reason we nearly blew that game tonight and why we've dropped points we didn't deserve too all season
    I agree that Vanneys strategy and subs need some considered action. But the good teams don't do this is simply wrong. See, Chelsea, manager Conte. Manchester zunited, manager Mourinho.

We werent handing the game to the opposition. We were absorbing pressure and releaseing the counter attack. Should have scored too. For me, that's not Vasquez game.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-03-2017 at 10:10 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A perfect 9 points from the three game home stand, great to see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts...liked the first half a lot. TFC fell asleep for the last minute which was too bad. Not sure what happened in the second half but not the same team at all. Great saves by Bono to keep us in it. Good tactical switch by Vanney to get control of the game again. Pointless yellow by Bradley for mouthing off to Toledo at the end after the game was over. We won. I will take it. Winning ugly is what good teams can do. On to Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Boy I saw this differently than you did. Vasquez is an entirely offensive player who, with Gio and Jozy, barely defends. Fantastic, but when you are defending a lead someone like Oso who is tenacious and always in the right position is a good substitution. I am not a fan of Cooper - he dives too much - but if it are trying to lock down a game, bringing him on for Edwards makes lots of sense. Bradley didn't look nearly as bad from my seat, and Jozy was a fantastic target man all night. But that's just what I saw.
    Surely offence is the best form of defence? It was far too early at that point to hunker down and try to hold what we had as Orlando were piling on pressure. Vazquez could have alieveate this by getting some forward moves going... or at least giving us the option of holding the ball, something he is very good at. In short, keep Vazquez on and we have a better chance of keeping the ball. I'd also argue if he were to be subbed for the reasons you state Cooper would have been a better replacement than Oso who is playing as poorly as I've ever seen him right now. He either runs into trouble, or misplaces a pass, either way possession is turned over. You could argue he needs gametime but surely that wasn't the time or place for that.

As for Bradley and Jozy we all can see the game different. I wouldn't argue your observation about Altidore being good in the target role when the ball is played directly too him. I just felt his was a bit lazy tonight in his movement. Contrast with Séba who chased after and won back possession several times tonight. I think Jozy was frustrated he wasn't getting anything from Toledo and it effected his attitude. The captain wasn't lacking in effort but I felt his passing was off and he had the tendency to take one turn too many when in possession and invariably ran into two or three of our opponents. It also bothers me a little that our backline seem to think every forward move must go through him (well, almost every forward move) These tight passing triangles we play in defensive midfield looking for space are starting to cause us to run into trouble as we get pushed further back with our opponents closing down space. There's nothing wrong with Hagglund or Zavaletta playing the long ball forward once in a while, it stops us becoming predictable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was Bono's ball. And who was covering Kaka? Should have had two on him in that situation. Not zero.
    They showed the replay from an angle near the corner flag. Delgado fell asleep and drifted to the top of the box assuming the play was going in the other direction. Bradley too to a lesser extent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly disagree. Strongly. Good players are who you want on the pitch when defending a lead. Barcelona don't sub off Messi when a goal up
    With 3 more games in the next 10 days you don't want your attacking midfielder burning himself out defending a lead. And this isn't subbing off a goal scoring threat like Messi. Giovinco wasn't subbed off. This is subbing of an offensive midfielder for a fresher more defensive minded mid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That 2nd half was a horror show. We were lucky to come away with full points tonight. With all due respect to Seba the Man of the match should have gone to Bono tonight. Unbelievably effort between the sticks tonight. It wasn't pretty but I will take the 3 points and move onto the next one. Toledo needs to get hit by a truck. He took brutal to a whole new level tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching live, Toledo seemed to be an exceptionally Toledo version of himself. Watching a tv feed was the impression the same? There were wahst seemed to be clear tugs not called and every 50/50 challenge called against TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Briliant player. But if you are trying to defend a lead, he is not your man.. and if you have four games in ten nights, a guy with long term injury issues like Vasquez might just need his minutes managed.
    Agreed.

Managing minutes is going to crucial in May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    All right, I'll say it. When Moor comes back, do we actually take Edwards out of the XI?

The guy creates goals.
    With Moor back, Hagglund is back on the bench. Everyone else in our starting lineup, including Edwards, stays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    With Moor back, Hagglund is back on the bench. Everyone else in our starting lineup, including Edwards, stays.
    I agree. Edwards can stay and the back three can rotate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly disagree. Strongly. Good players are who you want on the pitch when defending a lead. ...
    Vazquez in that situation was not a good enough player. There was a gigantic hole in the midfield in front of Bradley which they were exploiting. That is Vasquez. As much as he is great going forward, towards the 55th minute, he tired. So we leave Vasquez on and they bomb down the middle the rest of the game or we bring on a fresh shuttler who can also move the ball forward.

Vanney got the subs right.

Osorio to Vasquez to clog up the middle.
    Ricketts for Altidore because of the yellow and to stretch their defence.
    Cooper for Edwards moving to a 4-4-2.

Both Jozy & Bradley on 3 yellows.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-04-2017 at 06:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    With 3 more games in the next 10 days you don't want your attacking midfielder burning himself out defending a lead. And this isn't subbing off a goal scoring threat like Messi. Giovinco wasn't subbed off. This is subbing of an offensive midfielder for a fresher more defensive minded mid.
    LOL... Oso, defensive minded... oh man, you Mr. Saget are pure comedic gold...

I appreciate and respect your opinion, but Oso is most definitely not a defensive minded mid, he although is more defensive minded than Cooper...

If we were moving to a defensively minded mid we would have subbed on Benoit

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

This shows me that Scott Sutter pretty much owned Edwards in the second half. Again, as much as I like Edwards going forward, against a concerted attack down his flank, he's not a Justin Morrow. (you know, the guy who before Moor went down we were calling the best LWB in the league)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a great day!! First Juve in UCL then TFC at night....excellent!

though we may have been a bit lucky to get the full 3, I'll certainly take it!

the Vasquez sub was a good one to me, as I have a feeling he'll get the start on the weekend and needed some rest.
    Caldwell said something that I though was bang on about Vasquez during the broadcast last night, and that is, "He might not be the best TFC player, but in the last few games he's been the most influential."
    I thought that was perfect....to me he completes the team.
    Going forward, he pulls the creative strings, and that now allows Bradley to hang further back to help the defense in case of a counter, so he's not doing the chicken dance running up and down the middle of the field all game and getting caught.
    It also allows Giovinco to stay closer to the attacking 3rd, not having to drop down as much trying to pick up the ball just past midfield to create.
    Then both Jozy AND Giovinco can stay close to the opponents net and focus on letting the ball make sweet soccer love to the back of the ol' onion bag.
    Too many times in the past couple of years, Giovinco has had to take on being creator as well....now he can choose his spot to do that when he likes, instead of having to do it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it funny reading some of Kreis' comments of the game. Orlando is a good team this year but not as good as they think they are. He said the second half their team looked like themselves and showed they can compete with teams like TFC. In a way yes but only if teams like TFC start to not play like themselves like TFC did last night. That was the only way they were able to compete with TFC otherwise TFC would have dominated most of the game and looked much more comfortable than they did with the victory. Instead we struggled to hold onto the win and we had to rely on a little luck. Too bad we didn't make the tactical change a little earlier because we were looking more comfortable again and looking like we could score at the end again once switching to a 4-4-2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't like the second half either but I understood it. Orlando adjusted and it seemed that every time we pushed back and would start to mount any pressure we would get called for a dodgy foul (usually on Jozy) and it would derail our momentum. Hard to gain any ground when Toledo is clearly against you. That was pure MLS 2.0 officiating. I hadn't seen anything like that for that long in a match since maybe years 4 or 5. Nothing in recent memory was close to this in terms of being end to end abominable.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I don't disagree.I think both of our current options are an upgrade. I just don't think he was treated completely fairly by many.
    Oh i definitely agree with that when applied to fans. There were some extreme opinions on him while he was here. I don't think the mistreatment was so much by management is all. He can be fun to watch.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great photos of the one save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Surely offence is the best form of defence? It was far too early at that point to hunker down and try to hold what we had as Orlando were piling on pressure. Vazquez could have alieveate this by getting some forward moves going... or at least giving us the option of holding the ball, something he is very good at. In short, keep Vazquez on and we have a better chance of keeping the ball. I'd also argue if he were to be subbed for the reasons you state Cooper would have been a better replacement than Oso who is playing as poorly as I've ever seen him right now. He either runs into trouble, or misplaces a pass, either way possession is turned over. You could argue he needs gametime but surely that wasn't the time or place for that.

As for Bradley and Jozy we all can see the game different. I wouldn't argue your observation about Altidore being good in the target role when the ball is played directly too him. I just felt his was a bit lazy tonight in his movement. Contrast with Séba who chased after and won back possession several times tonight. I think Jozy was frustrated he wasn't getting anything from Toledo and it effected his attitude. The captain wasn't lacking in effort but I felt his passing was off and he had the tendency to take one turn too many when in possession and invariably ran into two or three of our opponents. It also bothers me a little that our backline seem to think every forward move must go through him (well, almost every forward move) These tight passing triangles we play in defensive midfield looking for space are starting to cause us to run into trouble as we get pushed further back with our opponents closing down space. There's nothing wrong with Hagglund or Zavaletta playing the long ball forward once in a while, it stops us becoming predictable.
    the second part here are fair and interesting observations. Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the argument isn't defending the lead but pushing it further/running away with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have four games in two weeks. What's the logic behind overexerting one of your key players when your already up a goal with 30 minutes left? It's more likely we would have given up another goal than scoring one if Vazquez stayed on, leaving him tired for the next game and 2 points dropped.

It was a fine decision by Vanney. The idea that some people have that we should never take off our best players no matter what the circumstances are is naive at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    we have four games in two weeks. What's the logic behind overexerting one of your key players when your already up a goal with 30 minutes left? It's more likely we would have given up another goal than scoring one if Vazquez stayed on, leaving him tired for the next game and 2 points dropped.

It was a fine decision by Vanney. The idea that some people have that we should never take off our best players no matter what the circumstances are is naive at best.
    totally agree about Vasquez.....seeing just how influential he is seeming to be and considering the number of games we have/had over the next little bit, I'd much rather see him playing 120-140 mins over the course of 2 games say, than 90 in one and 0 the next....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vazquez is currently leading the league in assists... just in case anyone still isn't sold on him, somehow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    They showed the replay from an angle near the corner flag. Delgado fell asleep and drifted to the top of the box assuming the play was going in the other direction. Bradley too to a lesser extent.
    I agree. Delgado was awful, and was sleeping on the goal. There were several opportunities early in the game where TFC were moving the ball beautifully, and each time, nothing came of it because Delgado gets an Osorio brain fart whenever he is challenged.

Good overall performance. Lots of positives. I think Edwards is the best non designated player ever signed by TFC. Most exciting pkayer on the team after Giovinco and Altidore. Miles and miles ahead of Osorio, Delgado and Cooper.
    It will be hard keeping him in MLS particularly with his incredibly low salary. I hope they don't pull off another dumb Edu move with this player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards kicked the ball from his own side out to the far right and out of bounds. That sort of bone headed panic is the definition of a USL move. That started the sequence that led to the Orlando goal.

Its been 4 games.

When Moor comes back, Edwards sits.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

BTW we were lucky that Johnson was ill today and not even in their 18. With the extra energy from a motivated Johnson in midfield, that game would have been much harder.
    They are lucky we didn't have Moor.