Thread: Tailgating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Tailgating

Hello everyone,

We are coming up from the States at the end of the month to catch a game and would love to be able to tailgate. I've searched online and on this forum and couldn't really find any solid info. The best I can tell, tailgating for Toronto FC games is not permitted but I just want to confirm with anyone that might have some experience with this. It would be weird if only the Argonauts can tailgate. Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct, Ontario's archaic and somewhat Puritan liquor laws do not allow consumption of alcohol outside of your residence or a licensed facility There are many TFC supporters pubs along King Street near the stadium, The official RPB supporters group pub is Shoeless Joes on King Street.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Orange View Post
    Hello everyone,

We are coming up from the States at the end of the month to catch a game and would love to be able to tailgate. I've searched online and on this forum and couldn't really find any solid info. The best I can tell, tailgating for Toronto FC games is not permitted but I just want to confirm with anyone that might have some experience with this. It would be weird if only the Argonauts can tailgate. Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best bet is to hit the pubs north of the stadium as Derko says due to our stupid laws. Some people like to use a Tim Horton's cup and drink their "coffee" by the stadium but you do so at your risk because they can fine you if caught. If you don't want to hit the pubs then TFC opens the north patio earlier than the rest of the stadium on game day so you can go drink their over priced beer there if you wish. That is TFC FO's replacement for us not being able to tailgate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side note: the Argonauts don't really tailgate. Its a patio with bring your own food as an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, being right on the waterfront there is a ton of prime green/park space to go hang out on in the sun, bring a picnic/etc and certainly use red cups. as long as you're not acting a fool/being loud and obnoxious, you're fine. just be cool about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tailgate is a American thing for the most part, most countries don't tailgate as USA is such a car culture thing. Canada has many similarities with America due to our location, but we have laws that prevent it, and anyways come soccer we follow the European atmosphere and attend pubs before match, anyway any tailgates in this country thar happen are very small and mostly only Argos try to support tailgates because it's such a American football culture...Tho they do a shitty job at it at Argo games. Liberty Villiage...Google it, short walk from the stadium, lots of pubs, most people take public transit to the game, Streetcar, GO Train is right there, Downtown core is just a few blocks away.
    Last edited by james; 04-12-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you went to Europe for soccer a tailgate usually would not exsist, it doesn't really here either. Do a pub crawl!! Lol
    Last edited by james; 04-12-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tailgating was invented in the USA and Europe has no idea what they're missing. Nothing like being outdoors with the BBQ, drinks, and great atmosphere. I was just curious if there was a an "underground" tailgating culture like there is at NYRB's stadium. Much like what y'all are describing, you can't have open containers and the city there doesn't allow tailgating, but tons of people do it anyone and the authorities turn the other cheek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. We'll probably resort to the pub crawl. Don't want to take any chances nor do we want to be the only people breaking out a grill, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks!

I just want to thank everyone that took the time to respond to my inquiry. I'll probably go with the pub crawl. If you see a guy in all orange or black/orange on April 28th, feel free to say hi. I'm a Dynamo fan but live in Boston, so I only get to see the Dynamo when they travel to the northeast. I've had a lot of great experiences at different stadiums (with the exception of Stade Saputo) and meeting different people/fans (again with the exception of Stade Saputo). My team sucks on the road, so I'm only hoping for a good game. Let's have some beers together though if y'all run in to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to thank everyone that took the time to respond to my inquiry. I'll probably go with the pub crawl. If you see a guy in all orange or black/orange on April 28th, feel free to say hi. I'm a Dynamo fan but live in Boston, so I only get to see the Dynamo when they travel to the northeast. I've had a lot of great experiences at different stadiums (with the exception of Stade Saputo) and meeting different people/fans (again with the exception of Stade Saputo). My team sucks on the road, so I'm only hoping for a good game. Let's have some beers together though if y'all run in to me.
    Come to Joes, its our pub, people will buy you a beer. And give you endless humourous abuse! (Shoeless Joes, King and Dufferin, about seven minutes walk from the stadium)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll probably pop in to Joes and take the humourous abuse...haha. If I complain about Seattle's poor, undeserved excuse of a Championship, will that knock down the abuse a little bit? ;-)

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll probably pop in to Joes and take the humourous abuse...haha. If I complain about Seattle's poor, undeserved excuse of a Championship, will that knock down the abuse a little bit? ;-)
    Couldn't hurt.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long before game time do you guys start your festivities at the pubs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you're exactly like most of us!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few names that will have lots of fans before kickoff... Brazenhead Pub (2 floors) , The Local, The Craft (over 100 craft beers on tap), Liberty Village Market Cafe ( it's like a sandwich shop with beers, inibriatti hang out there, you might get some actual abuse there, maybe avoid as an away fan,lol) newly opened Big Rock Brewery and 3 Brewers....And lastly you got Shoeless Joe's which is actually the furthest on this list from the stadium...However it's still close enough by to the stadium and has been home for red latch boys fans since 2007, might get some jokes and laughs, but all in friendly humour. All these places are in Liberty Village and will most likely all be busy hours before and after the game. All just North of the stadium on the North side of the GO train tracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks James! Craft beer is right up my alley, but might have to check out Joe's.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long before game time do you guys start your festivities at the pubs?
    I see that the game vs. Houston is Friday 7:30pm. Fridays are a bit different, we're only getting used to it because we didn't have many Friday evening games before this year. If it were Sat. or Sun., people would start pretty early, maybe watch some footy from around the world or other sports and spend a couple of hours at Joe's before the game. Fridays will be tighter because most are coming from work. My bet is people start showing up at Joe's around 4:30pm, can somebody else confirm?

Note also about Friday evening: that whole area north of the stadium (Liberty Village) is a condo boom town. A ton of young people with amenities only slowly catching up. So Friday after work will be very busy, with regular locals on top of TFC fans. Some of the places mentioned above will fill up early. (I remember being out of luck a few times, when trying to drop into a place before a game even on Wed. evenings. Friday evening will be busier.) Shoeless Joe's is not as close to the core of condo town, so not as extreme. However showing up early on Friday is definitely a good idea for any of these places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Auzzy!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note:

If you hear about new pot laws for Canada, they are being proposed today, not passed or implemented. So don't so openly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    On another note:

If you hear about new pot laws for Canada, they are being proposed today, not passed or implemented. So don't so openly.

Haha, you must know me. ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I want to say congratulations on the win. We didn't make it to Shoeless Joes, unfortunately. We started off at Bellwoods Brewery and then hit up the Craft Brasserie before heading over to the game. This was by far the best away game experience I've ever had. I would say that with the exception of the Dynamo loss, but I haven't seen them win on the road since 2014. I was also able to get photos with most of the Dynamo players, so that eased the pain of the loss a bit. The Toronto fans were great, even buying us some beers and partying with us after the game. Your city exceeded our expectations and we can't wait to go back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I want to say congratulations on the win. We didn't make it to Shoeless Joes, unfortunately. We started off at Bellwoods Brewery and then hit up the Craft Brasserie before heading over to the game. This was by far the best away game experience I've ever had. I would say that with the exception of the Dynamo loss, but I haven't seen them win on the road since 2014. I was also able to get photos with most of the Dynamo players, so that eased the pain of the loss a bit. The Toronto fans were great, even buying us some beers and partying with us after the game. Your city exceeded our expectations and we can't wait to go back.
    Great to hear you had a enjoyable experience.
    PS. I will be in touch regarding the away game in Boston in September. Have you listed your place on AirBnB yet.

Cheers
    Derko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Derko,

No, I haven't listed my place yet. Plan to do so before the end of May. Just a bunch of small little things I need to button up on it. I will let you know as soon as I do. Stay in touch. And good luck tomorrow night against Orlando. Hope you wear the Lions down for their trip to H-Town.

Shawn
    Last edited by Forever Orange; 05-02-2017 at 07:24 AM.