Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stupid.

But if you're gonna give him the red, give him the red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team seems to play with more confidense with Bono in net. Especially the defense, I like him In net going forward. I would play both goalies 50/50 and let one win the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Shea clearly said 'fuck you' to Elfaith after the yellow. Elfaith stared him down, asked "did you really just say that?" Shea responded in the affirmative, "Yeah I did just say that".

Then Elfaith gave the red.
    That's how I saw it too, basically, but I don't think the ref said anything.

SHEA: Fuck you

REF: *stares at SHEA*

SHEA: Yeah I said it

How stupid do you have to be to affirm telling a ref you told him "Fuck you." right after he gave you a yellow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
    That's how I saw it too, basically, but I don't think the ref said anything.

SHEA: Fuck you

REF: *stares at SHEA*

SHEA: Yeah I said it

How stupid do you have to be to affirm telling a ref you told him "Fuck you." right after he gave you a yellow?
    I think a brief google image retrospective on the hairstyles of Brek Shea will answer that question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Anyone know what Shea said?
    I would rather pound my balls flat with a wooden mallet than know what he said.

Unbearable prick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    The team seems to play with more confidense with Bono in net. Especially the defense, I like him In net going forward. I would play both goalies 50/50 and let one win the job.
    I agree. He seems to have really matured over the past year and has more of a presence in front of goal than Irwin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although this wasn't our strongest game I like how we're set-up to start the season - our new signings have been able to get their feet wet and it looks like there will be healthy competition for the two CM spots in front of Bradley, the CB spots not named Moor and between our GKs. Along with a few youngsters fighting more minutes I imagine there's a lot of hard work going on in training. This team will be much better later in the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am good with the Reds taking 5 of 9 points with having to play the first three games of the season on the road. Loved everything about the first goal yesterday from Edwards cross to the double headers.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver are the biggest shit-talkers and they've barely accomplished anything outside of a wildcard playoff spot and 1 Canadian Championship. I would be embarrassed to be a fan.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 03-19-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the precedent set for second assists by the league, I really don't get how Vazquez wasn't awarded one on Altidore's goal. They regularly dish them out for far less... a difficult pass between two opposing players, didn't even look like the pass was there to be made and it led directly to Osorio's assist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone think Edwards deserved a shot much sooner. He has hunger, confidence,pace and skill

Ie. Deserved a shot over endoh any day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Anyone think Edwards deserved a shot much sooner. He has hunger, confidence,pace and skill

He's a different kind of player but Edwards certainly derserves more chances after yesterday. Vanney/Bez do seem to have a bit of an obsession with CMs!?!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different players put into different situations. At this level, you slot in guys to match up tactically. E.g. Davies was subbed at the half after playing lights out against everybody until this game.

Listening to Vanney, Edwards was put in basically to provide width and allow Morrow to play back a bit - team played more like a 3-4-3 or a 4-4-2. Edwards had coverage behind him. Not the same as being asked to replace Beitashour as a WB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my $0.02 but I think Endoh has been given too many chances. His crossing is atrocious and positioning is often sub par. We lack a natural right sided player with attacking instincts and pace. So he gets thrown in, but still...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. TFC handled this one right by giving him a few seasons in USL and letting him earn a contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the Bono / Irwin thing, I still think Bono doesn't communicate with his defenders as much he should. Nor do I think his distribution is as good as Irwin. In essence, he's a younger version of Bendik. Great shot stopper but not a complete package.

On the other hand, I think Vanney made that move partly because Irwin contributed to the 2nd Philly goal by not reacting fast enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    On the Bono / Irwin thing, I still think Bono doesn't communicate with his defenders as much he should. Nor do I think his distribution is as good as Irwin. In essence, he's a younger version of Bendik. Great shot stopper but not a complete package.

On the other hand, I think Vanney made that move partly because Irwin contributed to the 2nd Philly goal by not reacting fast enough.
    .....and, Irwin's penchant for letting in easy goals since he returned from injury in the Fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think that's a fair assessment. Bono's aggressive. What I saw on Saturday was someone decisive and off his line plucking out corners and crosses. Neither Bendik or Irwin had those attributes.

Roberts was more of a younger version of Bendik.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. But he really needs to work on his communication.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irwin is the better keeper but something in the team changes with Bono

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few random thoughts.

-Ricketts must play centrally. All he's good at is running at the goal and shoot. The times he tried to pass or cross esp from the flanks were brutal.

-When Justin Morrow was the biggest threat on attack on numerous occasions... It's good that he thinks he's Jordi Alba.

-I think most of MLS figured out the 3-5-2 thing.

-Osorio is never going to be a playmaker, but he's got soft first touch and good short passing. A team can always use a supporting CM like him.

-One day Father Time will catch up to Drew Moor. And it will be ugly for TFC, just like Caldwell got old very fast and TFC had no back up plan for losing a key CB.

-Nick Hagglund... good kid, tries hard, but on a career projectory like Julius James. Pure athleticism isn't going to cut it in rapidly evolving MLS. Needs to grow some footy IQ fast if he's going to last in MLS.

-Victor Vazquez is going to be the truth... if people can be patient with him while he builds up match fitness and figures out the league. He's the pure playmaker we haven't had since Amado Guevara, but even better passer.

-Raheem Edwards has no fear and I hope he never loses that.

-I just don't think Altidore puts in 100% during most games. When he does, he's a game breaker. When he doesn't, he gets easily taken out of the game.

-Clint Irwin is an avg MLS GK, but that's ok. You can win an MLS Cup with avg GKs like Irwin or Stefan Frei. Heck, even Josh Saunders.

-When is Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton going to get mins? Voyageurs Cup isn't enough, and I think they are just as good as Cooper and Ricketts.

-Speaking of Cooper, he's a cheat, but he's our cheat. Just like Guevara was. You love him when he play for you, but you hate him when he plays against you. Between Cooper, Jozy and Giovinco, TFC is getting a rep as a team that goes down a little too easy.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    -Speaking of Cooper, he's a cheat, but he's our cheat. Just like Guevara was. You love him when he play for you, but you hate him when he plays against you. Between Cooper, Jozy and Giovinco, TFC is getting a rep as a team that goes down a little too easy.
    I've actually noticed this season that Cooper is diving less. That's good. The problem is the guys he is up against seem to go down a lot - whether he's chipping them or they are diving. That's not good.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    No. TFC handled this one right by giving him a few seasons in USL and letting him earn a contract.
    I would have liked to see him sooner, but I agree with you - he earned this spot. The timing was right in my opinion. His time in USL will help him in the MLS. Now it's up to him to succeed.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys like Gio and Alti consistently get kicked and tackled hard every game, so i expect them to go down easier than most players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's weird, it's clearly size that makes a difference.

When Gio gets chopped it looks like a man dirty tackling a little kid. When Jozy gets chopped/grabbed it looks like a man playing against his little son trying to do whatever to contain his dad.

It sucks that he has to exaggerate when he's getting fouled or grabbed, because the reality is he's way stronger than most and because he's stronger, the expectation is that he should be able to deal with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The carpet got replaced with new turf for Women's World Cup in 2015
    if that was the replaced turf then....my word do they ever need to replace it again. Not montreal bad but that was thinned out something awful where the handegg lines would be. That garbage should not be allowed though I saw their players slip on it more than once....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Man Raheem Edwards looking like Raheem Sterling. But seriously that guy looked good. Wonder if he will be Toronto's first legit academy player to do something Big in his career. (if a Toronto acedmey player has made it big in Europe, excuse me as I'm not sure)
    Doneil henry was bought by West Ham (through a shaddy stop in Cyprus to get european union approval) but has been injured 90% of the time since. really sad string of bad luck for him. For academy products he has been the biggest euro move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Minnesota is clearly the worst team in MLS.

Not Vancouver.

But Manneh and Hurtado are no longer what they were hyped up to be in previous years in my mind.

The youth movement in Vancouver appears to be stillborn.
    My wife laughed out loud at Hurtado's shot wide and high toward the end of the game. It was pretty funny.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting stuff...

Few random thoughts.

-I think most of MLS figured out the 3-5-2 thing.

Not too sure what you mean by that. Teams used to gum up the middle against us. Now they have to consider balls moving in from the sides. If we can get our ball movement up to the speed it was at the end of last season, we'll be a handful to deal with.

-One day Father Time will catch up to Drew Moor. And it will be ugly for TFC, just like Caldwell got old very fast and TFC had no back up plan for losing a key CB.
    I think we've got 2 more seasons out of him. Guys like that are hard to come by though - MLS experienced 30 year old defenders who can call out plays for the backline. You have to grow guys like that, unfortunately.

-I just don't think Altidore puts in 100% during most games. When he does, he's a game breaker. When he doesn't, he gets easily taken out of the game.
    He had an interesting thing to say after Vancouver about being muscled a lot, words to the affect of "I'll give them all those because I only need 1". Like a lot of strikers, he can seem to come in and out of the game; the only ones who don't seem to be speed merchants. He's motivated and scoring and doing a lot of banging.

-When is Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton going to get mins? Voyageurs Cup isn't enough, and I think they are just as good as Cooper and Ricketts.
    Hamilton is good but his style fits a Jozy replacement beside Seba. He'll get his shots during the Gold Cup as well. Chapman is a better passer then Cooper but nowhere near as much a pest - every team needs one pest.

Cooper got called out by Vanney after the Philly game for going down supposedly fouled before they scored their second goal. Has to be better strategically at this. But, its CONCACAF style and something that helps us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting stuff...

Not too sure what you mean by that. Teams used to gum up the middle against us. Now they have to consider balls moving in from the sides. If we can get our ball movement up to the speed it was at the end of last season, we'll be a handful to deal with.
    Thats the offensive part but when it comes to our own defensive third. Most teams have figured it out. When we switched to 3-5-2 it gave other teams massive confusion because the typical gaps one to exploite between CBs and FBs disappeared. We were hard to penetrate so they go to the middle and got trampled by Bradley/Cheyrou/Johnson. Now most team learned that the space to exploit our 3-5-2 is no longer just between CBs and their side of flank but also between the 3 CBs themselves. As you can see the quick goals we give up this season up to date, most are penetrating passes in through ball or over the top between 3 CBs. Spacing between 3 CBs is harder to manager than 2 CBs since it's almost a moving dynamic.

The off season rust still remains where 3 man mid leaving too much gap between midfield and 3 CBs that any turnover or counter can two pass to go one v one with Irwin.

We we need to gel better and have the team play more compact 3-5-2 to maximize its defensive capabilities. Otherwise we will end up like sieves against stronger opponent who are more clinical and short passing oriented team.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC