Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39
  1. #1
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Voyageurs Cup 2017


  2. #2
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian...ontent-p160637

    New to the Canadian Championship in 2017, Canada Soccer has added a Canadian Content rule ensuring that at least three Canadians are included on every starting lineup throughout the competition.
    I suppose they can do this now that Vancouver finally got enough Canadians to dress 3 as starters.

  3. #3
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,908
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ottawa trip the day after the long weekend. Whoah.
    Nations League Canada vs USA Nov 15th!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  4. #4
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    http://www.canadasoccer.com/canadian...ontent-p160637



    I suppose they can do this now that Vancouver finally got enough Canadians to dress 3 as starters.
    Well played.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In line with the launch of the new CONCACAF Champions League format which places the Canadian representative in Phase II beginning in March 2018, a special one-match Canadian playoff between last year's winners Toronto FC (unless Toronto FC repeats as Canadian winners) and the 2017 winners will be played on 9 August in Toronto to determine who will advance.

    So we lost our guaranteed Champions League spot in the 2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League

  6. #6
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    In line with the launch of the new CONCACAF Champions League format which places the Canadian representative in Phase II beginning in March 2018, a special one-match Canadian playoff between last year's winners Toronto FC (unless Toronto FC repeats as Canadian winners) and the 2017 winners will be played on 9 August in Toronto to determine who will advance.

    So we lost our guaranteed Champions League spot in the 2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League
    I actually don't mind this idea. Has the potential to be a HUGE night for Canadian soccer.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dumb that we've lost our qualification for the CCL, but I guess something had to be done...

    This does open up the interesting angle that we could play an entire squad of subs and reserve for this whole tournament with the knowledge that if we lose, we can put out a full strength team in the playoff to secure CCL qualification. Not that I think this will actually happen.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,703
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    May is going to be a busy month. Yikes.

  9. #9
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    May is going to be a busy month. Yikes.
    It always is. Which is why I admire Manning for making the Voyageurs and the CCL so important. They could do like Vancouver did for years and just avoid the whole thing. But not TFC anymore.

    I would not be surprised if the CSA wanted to just skip the 2016 winner and make the 2017 Voyageurs team the CCL entrant and Manning slighly pointed out there was another option. Hey, we win, we are in. We don't win, and we have a cup final, at our place, to get there. I'll take that.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Need to go for the cup win to remove any jabbering points by our west coast and east river rivals. but at least we have the other way in as consolation in case we don't get the silverware.

  11. #11
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    Need to go for the cup win to remove any jabbering points by our west coast and east river rivals.

    Easy answer to that


    &


  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    "Looking ahead to 2018, Canada Soccer has also confirmed plans to expand the Canadian Championship to include winning teams from both League1 Ontario and Première Ligue de soccer du Québec."

    So why those two and not the six Canadian teams in the PDL? The US Open Cup allows PDL teams to enter....if we did it in Canada we would have a 13 team tournament.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am very exciting to see that the Voyageur Cup has expanded to include League 1 Teams! I am assuming though, if the Academy wins, they wouldn't be eligble?

  14. #14
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck82 View Post
    "Looking ahead to 2018, Canada Soccer has also confirmed plans to expand the Canadian Championship to include winning teams from both League1 Ontario and Première Ligue de soccer du Québec."

    So why those two and not the six Canadian teams in the PDL? The US Open Cup allows PDL teams to enter....if we did it in Canada we would have a 13 team tournament.
    What if there just happened to be 9 CPL teams in 2018...

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This CCL thing is absolute horseshit. They can't make a change like that after it has already declared that Toronto is the CCL entrant (or are they going to try some 'we hadn't actually officially declared it yet' thing)?

    TFC should get into the next CCL, no matter what. Then maybe this year's and next year's CC winners can play-off.

    Doing it this way is fucking lame.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I actually don't mind this idea. Has the potential to be a HUGE night for Canadian soccer.
    Only if we lose. Plus it has the potential to make Will Johnsons amazing leg breaking goal irrelevant.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    This CCL thing is absolute horseshit. They can't make a change like that after it has already declared that Toronto is the CCL entrant (or are they going to try some 'we hadn't actually officially declared it yet' thing)?

    TFC should get into the next CCL, no matter what. Then maybe this year's and next year's CC winners can play-off.

    Doing it this way is fucking lame.
    Bingo. More politely, but bingo. Will Johnson's goal meant something. Remeber the feeling?

  18. #18
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Only if we lose. Plus it has the potential to make Will Johnsons amazing leg breaking goal irrelevant.
    Uh, so its not a big night if we have a one off game against Vancouver or Montreal at our place and win?

    As for making that goal irrelevant, I'm pretty darn sure the CSA didn't have to give us a slot in the CCL in 2018 at all. Given that, we get the inside track all the way on this thing. We thought winning that competition meant CCL - well apparently it doesn't. What it gives us is home field advantage. In the grand scheme of things, I'll take that. Would I prefer we had an in on this thing? Sure. But, rules change and somebody was going to lose out here.

    Ultimately, there is no way the CSA were going to make teams wait 18 months from winning the Voyaguers to get in the CCL - that wasn't going to happen. The tradeoff for this is getting into a knockout competition right away with probable seed that means Canadian teams don't play a US or Mexican team until the quarters.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-10-2017 at 06:59 AM.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, so its not a big night if we have a one off game against Vancouver or Montreal at our place and win?

    As for making that goal irrelevant, I'm pretty darn sure the CSA didn't have to give us a slot in the CCL in 2018 at all. Given that, we get the inside track all the way on this thing. We thought winning that competition meant CCL - well apparently it doesn't. What it gives us is home field advantage. In the grand scheme of things, I'll take that. Would I prefer we had an in on this thing? Sure. But, rules change and somebody was going to lose out here.

    Ultimately, there is no way the CSA were going to make teams wait 18 months from winning the Voyaguers to get in the CCL - that wasn't going to happen. The tradeoff for this is getting into a knockout competition right away with probable seed that means Canadian teams don't play a US or Mexican team until the quarters.
    But you can't change the rules AFTER the competition has already taken place. That's incredibly unfair.

  20. #20
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But you can't change the rules AFTER the competition has already taken place. That's incredibly unfair.
    Yes it is unfair.

    The competition that win was for changed after we won - we should be playing CCL in August this year but that's not going to happen. Manning got us the best deal possible. And, this makes the Voyaguers this year something different, with a guaranteed chance for us to win something big at home.

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yes it is unfair.

    The competition that win was for changed after we won - we should be playing CCL in August this year but that's not going to happen. Manning got us the best deal possible. And, this makes the Voyaguers this year something different, with a guaranteed chance for us to win something big at home.
    Just go out and win the fucking thing

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What will the cap tie rules be for TFC if they go through to CCL based on the 2016 win?

    Put another way, is Vasquez tied with Cruz Azul?

  23. #23
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yes it is unfair.

    The competition that win was for changed after we won - we should be playing CCL in August this year but that's not going to happen. Manning got us the best deal possible. And, this makes the Voyaguers this year something different, with a guaranteed chance for us to win something big at home.
    Count on the CSA to mess things up. It's what they do best. Intelligent decisions and the CSA don't belong in the same sentence. Of course it's unfair, but they couldn't think of the obvious ways to solve this. Stupid, just stupid decision by the CSA.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  24. #24
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    What will the cap tie rules be for TFC if they go through to CCL based on the 2016 win?

    Put another way, is Vasquez tied with Cruz Azul?
    Paging John Molinaro. Good question to ask!!!
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    What will the cap tie rules be for TFC if they go through to CCL based on the 2016 win?

    Put another way, is Vasquez tied with Cruz Azul?
    TFC cant go in based on the 2016 win, at best they will go in based on the 2017 win, or the playoff between TFC and the 2017 winner. Either way Vasquez would not be cup tied as he was not on Cruz Azul in 2017, and he would be eligible to paly in the playoff match in 2017.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    3,703
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    What will the cap tie rules be for TFC if they go through to CCL based on the 2016 win?

    Put another way, is Vasquez tied with Cruz Azul?
    You can't be cuptied for a competition you've never played in.

    Cruz Azul didn't qualify for the CCL in 16/17 so Vasquez never played in it.

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    1,950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The CSA proves how much of a joke they are. Most sensible thing to do would have this years winner face net year winner instead of changing the rules after the fact.

  28. #28
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    14,903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    The CSA proves how much of a joke they are. Most sensible thing to do would have this years winner face net year winner instead of changing the rules after the fact.
    That is what they did

    The CCL games for the Canadian rep will begin in February 2018.

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    1,950
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That is what they did

    The CCL games for the Canadian rep will begin in February 2018.
    No it should be TFC qualifies for 2018. 2017 winner and 2018 winner play next summer to play in 2019.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,967
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Will Johnson's goal meant something. Remeber the feeling?
    It meant winning the Voyageurs' Cup and being crowned champions of Canada. That's enough for me.

    In any case, we are going to win again this year, no playoff needed.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •