Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Looks like we might be about to land Dickov....

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sp...ead.4337465.jp

Moved 18 minutes ago. Leicester said a few days ago it was out of the race.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meanwhile at Soccer America Daily...

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.c...&art_aid=27518

A deal for former Manchester City striker Paul Dickov hit a snag last week. What snag? Has Dickov upped his demands? Has TFC balked at paying him approximately $500,000 guaranteed for the remainder of this season and next season, or has MLS refused to tender such a contract to a 35-year-old? Is there a competing bid for Dickov, who rejected an offer from one of his former clubs, Leicester City, before visiting Toronto?

TFC has first claim on Dickov via the discovery process and after visiting Toronto two weeks ago, Dickov and team officials had reportedly agreed to terms, but maybe not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmmm, FC Toronto...........

Man, how long has this dragged out...but like the first article said, "hopefully" a decision will come in the next 24 hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s today Dickov will make a decision soon report:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's 35 years old..... who cares he's gonna be gone in a year or too anyway.

Any news on Barret?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope this gets done soon one way or another. We needed him at the opening of the transfer window and this fence sitting just hurts our team.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Here’s today Dickov will make a decision soon report:

Er, I hate to be pedantic, but you linked to the same story that the thread creator did...

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Er, I hate to be pedantic, but you linked to the same story that the thread creator did...

- Scott
    Hahahaha...right now there are a bunch of people running for dictionaries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pe·dan·tic Audio Help/pəˈdæntɪk/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-dan-tik]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective 1.ostentatious in one's learning. 2.overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even as a Manchester City supporter, I really hope he doesn't join TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    look at the situation we're in! We need strkiers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    I respectfully disagree, mate. We need someone who will chase down every loose ball and be ready for chances in and around the box.
    It's been interesting to observe as this saga has dragged on, how many have gone from the position of "we don't need/want him" to "get anyone who is available who has the potential to get some goals" and whilst Dickov struggled in the Prem(except that season at B/burn perhaps), he has always been prolific in the 2 lower leagues, and let's face it, MLS is comparable to Div 1/ Championship.
    Cheers

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Dickov will be amazing in the MLS, He's exactly the type of striker we need right now............Come on get this done so we can watch some playoff football in October
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was Trader Mo after that match against RSL, I'd be on the phone to Dickov's agent, telling him to hurry the fuck up and make a decision, or the offer will be off the table.

He clearly has, or has almost, run out of time for his other offers, maybe he will recognize the prospect of sitting on his ass unsigned next season, and get on the next flight over.

I'd like to see what Dickov can do for us, but I'm getting tired of feeling like we are being jerked around here. How many weeks has it been since he was first linked to the club again? He does understand we are in the middle of our season, and waffling on his decision continues to hurt his potential club and teammates, no?

Part of me also kind of hopes that higher profile players continue to turn us down based on the plastic pitch, as it will only strengthen MLSE/TFC's argument to the City of Toronto, to get some real grass for next season.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    I respectfully disagree, mate. We need someone who will chase down every loose ball and be ready for chances in and around the box.
    It's been interesting to observe as this saga has dragged on, how many have gone from the position of "we don't need/want him" to "get anyone who is available who has the potential to get some goals" and whilst Dickov struggled in the Prem(except that season at B/burn perhaps), he has always been prolific in the 2 lower leagues, and let's face it, MLS is comparable to Div 1/ Championship.
    Cheers
    I agree with what you say in regards to him being able to score in the lower leagues and MLS being comparable to those leagues. But he is now 35 and although I now his work rate will be second to none I just think this type of striker is not what we need, at least not alone. What we need is a striker that can create chances on his own and out of nothing. We can easily turn Smith into the aggressive striker that chases down balls and annoys defenders. That is what I mean when I say I don't want Dickov, I by no means think he wouldn't be an improvement on what we currently have but I would prefer a different style of player be brought in.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    If I was Trader Mo after that match against RSL, I'd be on the phone to Dickov's agent, telling him to hurry the fuck up and make a decision, or the offer will be off the table.

He clearly has, or has almost, run out of time for his other offers, maybe he will recognize the prospect of sitting on his ass unsigned next season, and get on the next flight over.

I'd like to see what Dickov can do for us, but I'm getting tired of feeling like we are being jerked around here. How many weeks has it been since he was first linked to the club again? He does understand we are in the middle of our season, and waffling on his decision continues to hurt his potential club and teammates, no?

Part of me also kind of hopes that higher profile players continue to turn us down based on the plastic pitch, as it will only strengthen MLSE/TFC's argument to the City of Toronto, to get some real grass for next season.

- Scott
    It's normal for these negotiations to take time, be it MLS or the EPL. It's the agent's job to get as much as possible for his player.

IMO Dickov doesn't like our plastic pitch, and if he could get a comparable offer, he would stay in Europe. However, MLSE has likely opened the purse-strings and his other deals aren't nearly as good. Sometimes throwing a pile of $$$ helps overcome other issues (although an injury-prone player wouldn't come because of the perceived chance of a career-ending injury).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    Cheers
    I'm just wondering what Mo's contingency plan is at this point. Other than Dickov and Huckerby there have been no other legitimate leads or indications that Mo has attempted to lure any other players. I've heard the Gomes and Sukur rumours, but I'm not confident that they really had any legs. Is Mo looking at who can possibly be available within the league? How about the USL? I'm sure there are some capable scorers there! Finally, What about leagues other than the English Leagues?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that aside from the fieldturf issue - more an issue for the over 30's- there is a credibility issue with MLS despite the likes of Angel, Blanco and that midfielder at LA whose name I forget - .
    It's seen like Japan or the Arab Emirates leagues - a one way ticket to obscurity.
    Now, before you jump on that statement, the only way for that to improve IS to attract players who are not at the end of the road, and we will get there over time if the league progresses the way it seems to have done over the last 2 seasons, but there is a need for more pioneers like that English chap in LA, wassisname...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Ya. . what ever happened to SUKUR?

I got excited at that prospet as I know little about Dikov.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by invictusTFC View Post
    I'm just wondering what Mo's contingency plan is at this point.
    The contingency plan seems to be write this season off and use the 3 First Round draft picks I think we have in January. Whilst I applaud the way Mo handles the draft process and it is certainly the way to build long term, I think we, as the fanbase, are less patient and rightly so, and demand playoffs as a minimum this season. Right now, it ain't looking to good.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    ^^ Ya. . what ever happened to SUKUR?

I got excited at that prospet as I know little about Dikov.
    Sukur was a bullshit rumour, I think he decided to retire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More news stating that Dickov is still in play with TFC and Leicester

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/7532819.stm

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is both sides (Us and Leicester) are extremely hard up for a striker. This guy seems like more of a mercenary then someone who is undecided. TOP BIDDER WINS! Not a good sign of things to come from Mr. Dickov, Im very unimpressed the way he is handling this, it's cost us the CCL and a few MLS games. BULLSHIT DICKOV MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody in this thread has any idea why he has not signed yet, it is pure speculation, and may have NOTHING, to do with him......remember, you are a fan, a supporter, and not part of the negotiating team, so why get upset over this... just ask a LEAF fan how to learn to live with your frustrations.....relax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Agree with both of the above statements. From what I have read it seems like his agent is a pain in the ass, so blame it all on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    The problem is both sides (Us and Leicester) are extremely hard up for a striker. This guy seems like more of a mercenary then someone who is undecided. TOP BIDDER WINS! Not a good sign of things to come from Mr. Dickov, Im very unimpressed the way he is handling this, it's cost us the CCL and a few MLS games. BULLSHIT DICKOV MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND!
    Enough said right here! Get on it Dikov!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TOP BIDDER WINS!
    It's very, very rare that the top bidder doesn't win.

Will this be the last contract Dikov signs? If so, his agent will want to make it the biggest possible payday he can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or Dickov just doesnt want to play up front with Dichio.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpand View Post
    Or Dickov just doesnt want to play up front with Dichio.......
    Dickov and Dichio are interchangable. They won`t be playing together at all unless Carver goes with 3 forwards or injuries force it.
    Hmmmm....

Barrett..... Dickov..... Ibby

Sounds yummy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow a lot of speculation here, good chance he is saying the same thing to TFC/MLS......Get the finger out I want to play.......Mo & Carver have both stated that this was a jigsaw puzzle & the Mcbride deal was holding everything up, with that deal still not done TFC still can't sign Dickov.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18