Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does that mean exactly, like European Leagues?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mauri View Post
    What does that mean exactly, like European Leagues?
    Precisely, like the FA Cup (single knock-out tournament) for the MLS Cup. Seeding based upon regular season points
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Precisely, like the FA Cup (single knock-out tournament) for the MLS Cup. Seeding based upon regular season points
    Had it been in introduced and in place for this season it would have been an interesting draw.

TFC vs Union
    NYCFC vs New England
    Chicago vs RSL
    Atlanta vs Dallas
    Columbus vs San Jose
    Portland vs SKC
    Seattle vs Houston
    Vancouver vs Redbull

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petke seems to have found his ouvre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...ceptable-offer

Larin on his way to Europe. No real surprise.

Linked with Leeds, I hear - where do you think he’ll end up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeciTFC View Post
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...ceptable-offer

Larin on his way to Europe. No real surprise.

Linked with Leeds, I hear - where do you think he’ll end up?
    It is probably for the best. Orlando are in the process of rebuilding and after the DUI incident earlier this year I think a fresh start overseas will do him good. I can see him going to Leeds, they could use his pace and goal scoring touch. The table in the Championship is turning into a dog fight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it seems the Detroit expansion bid has decided to use Ford Field instead of building their own stadium.

Leads to think one of two things is going on

a) Fellow NFL owners who won MLS teams told these very rich guys its OK now that Atlanta is in a football stadium.

b) hail mary thinking they were going nowhere getting the other field

I'd much rather see Nashville with a SSS get in then another NFL stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So it seems the Detroit expansion bid has decided to use Ford Field instead of building their own stadium.

Leads to think one of two things is going on

a) Fellow NFL owners who won MLS teams told these very rich guys its OK now that Atlanta is in a football stadium.

b) hail mary thinking they were going nowhere getting the other field

I'd much rather see Nashville with a SSS get in then another NFL stadium.
    I am almost certain this is a hail mary. Garbers intention is to build the league to 28 teams, (we are currently sitting at 23 including LAFC) and priority is going to be giving to Beckham United whenever they get their act together. That leaves theoretically 2 spots in each conference. Detroit at best falls behind Cincinnati, Indy and Tampa. They are merely dangling another NFL stadium with 60,000+ potential seats. Not to mention the rift between the expansion committee and the current group of supporters currently supporting Detroit City FC. That rift only got bigger with the marketing department using DCFC and the Northern guard imagery in their renderings without permission. This reeks of a last ditch effort from a dying (if not dead already) bid.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting story about Giovinco and his likelihood of staying over at Waking the Red:

https://www.wakingthered.com/toronto...o-transfer-mls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I am almost certain this is a hail mary. Garbers intention is to build the league to 28 teams, (we are currently sitting at 23 including LAFC) and priority is going to be giving to Beckham United whenever they get their act together. That leaves theoretically 2 spots in each conference. Detroit at best falls behind Cincinnati, Indy and Tampa. They are merely dangling another NFL stadium with 60,000+ potential seats. Not to mention the rift between the expansion committee and the current group of supporters currently supporting Detroit City FC. That rift only got bigger with the marketing department using DCFC and the Northern guard imagery in their renderings without permission. This reeks of a last ditch effort from a dying (if not dead already) bid.
    Don’t think this bid is dead at all, with the Ford family joining the bid along with the other two original people this bid just got stronger, MLS is a business and I can’t see them turning down a bid which includes a major global corporation like Ford. Although it includes playing in an NFL stadium it looks like money will be spent building a sort of seat covering system you see in Vancouver and in Atlanta where descending ceiling is lowered that is lowered and blocks the upper tier seats making the stadium more intimate, yes it’s artifi turf but it’s another big city and the stadium is downtown where you want teams to be playing, I think this bid in the end still wins out.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 11-05-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Don’t think this bid is dead at all, with the Ford family joining the bid along with the other two original people this bid just got stronger, MLS is a business and I can’t see them turning down a bid which includes a major global corruption like Ford. Although it includes playing in an NFL stadium it looks like money will be spent building a sort of seat covering system you see in Vancouver and in Atlanta where descending ceiling is lowered that is lowered and blocks the upper tier seats making the stadium more intimate, yes it’s artifi turf but it’s another big city and the stadium is downtown where you want teams to be playing, I think this bid in the end still wins out.
    Depends on a few factors. Dan Gilbert's interest in this is probably over. His only concern was getting control of the land in question, and that is no longer going to be used for a new stadium. There is a lot of ill feeling in Detroit right now about Pizza Arena due to the large amount of public funding the Ilitch family obtained. Getting a new stadium built may have been beyond what Gilbert could have hustled out of the state and local authorities.

I'm curious if the Ford family taking an equity stake in the ownership group turns out to be an actual interest in the team beyond just getting an addition revenue stream for Ford Field. Between Bill Ford and Tom Gores, I'd expect a better operation from the Lions than the Pistons (yeah, hard to believe but true).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...oaching-search

Mtl is looking at some interesting names for their new manager. Funny how Saputo was apparently looking at a new coach in July. Biello was dead man walking. And good way to piss off your squad. Maybe that's why they sucked in 2nd half of season.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...oaching-search

Mtl is looking at some interesting names for their new manager. Funny how Saputo was apparently looking at a new coach in July. Biello was dead man walking. And good way to piss off your squad. Maybe that's why they sucked in 2nd half of season.
    Please please please let it be the Swiss Volcano. I loved that guys antics, and he's not a good coach. He's perfect.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal hire Remi Garde ex. Lyon and Aston Villa coach

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SI is linking Robinho to Orlando
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Montreal hire Remi Garde ex. Lyon and Aston Villa coach
    I was really hoping for Roberto Baggio. Not only because of Joey’s Series A 80’s nostalgia but also cause you’d feel really safe if it ever went to penalties.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    SI is linking Robinho to Orlando
    I'm cool with two more years of them not making the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As MLS continues expanding, could a form of pro/rel become necessary?
    http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...come-necessary

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, no.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sid Seixeiro

I know this guy supports local football and the national team.....

BUT his Serie D comment and hyperbole on Giovinco's absence yesterday was bang out of order and represents the microcosm of Canadian and MLS uphill cultural battle in North America.

Absolutely disgraceful.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

link to the comment? or full comment you are able to post for context?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/930202282649464832

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post

BUT his Serie D comment and hyperbole on Giovinco's absence yesterday was bang out of order and represents the microcosm of Canadian and MLS uphill cultural battle in North America.

Serie D average attendance: 600
    MLS average attendance: 22,000

Not a great example but shows it's more popular. We do have high profile players joining the league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup.

Someone who does a rant about how we should all be attending CanMNT games and turns around and does this...

Fake news. But that's sports TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/930202282649464832

Pretty interesting, Sweden not only played a MLS player, but they started a player playing in UAE, yet, they're the ones going to the world cup.

I saw him at a tfc game once. Im sure he likes it, but its frustrating to hear him talk down on the league like that. Meanwhile these guys are telling people to go to Canadian university football games because the quality is good...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it didn't sound to me like he was necessarily talking down MLS....I listened a few times and it sounded more to me like he was saying it was just a moot argument that Giovinco should've been called up to the team....he says fact is that MLS is Serie D in Italy, and he's right, in their minds it is...and because of that MLS players will not get called up...whether that's right or wrong thinking can be argued...but I think he was trying to say that if that dumb-ass Ventura couldn't even find room for Insigne, Italy's most dangerous player PLAYING in Serie A, how the hell would Giovinco find time on the field and the people who tweeted he should've been on the team were wasting their time, because the "manager" wouldn't consider him for a second....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well taken.

Seems like he's matured a bit this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way the awards are going I'm worried Vanney gets snubbed for manager of the year so Atlanta can take home one more trophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shmurda42 View Post
    Way the awards are going I'm worried Vanney gets snubbed for manager of the year so Atlanta can take home one more trophy.
    Coach of the Year is a media/club vote unlike the awards Atlanta players have won, which are all fan votes and Atlanta fans are stuffing the ballot box for their guys. Vanney will win the vote for Coach of the Year.