Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Well we know Bradley and Altidore. We may get Morrow back at the end of the group stage. Then there is also Ricketts, Edwards, Osorio, Cooper. Does anyone know if El Salvador is taking Zavs? We will find out in a couple weeks but it is 7 maybe 8.
    Zavs hasn't made his mind up if he's gonna declare for them. I think a decision on that wont come until WC 2022 qualifiers begin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure this is the correct thread for this but I can't see any other relevant so here goes...

I just saw Team Canada has elected not to pick Kyle Larin for the Canadian squad for the upcoming Gold Cup on account of his DUI. I have to say I find this madness of the part of Soccer Canada. We are not exactly blessed with talent, however this current crop of players is as promising as we've had for years. To deprive us of our best goal scoring threat is tantamount to throwing away any chance we had of a decent performance at this tournament. We might as well not show up. Granted we would need big performances not only from Larin, but Davies, Edwards, Ricketts, Johnson to make a dent, but to eliminate our best goal scoring threat before a ball is kick just doesn't make sense to me. I know there will be some who think Larin needs to be punished for his actions, but sure that is the function of the law, which I'm sure will not be lienent if the young man is found guilty.

I was quite looking forward to seeing Canada do well in this tournament, but that hope has been destroyed by the high and mighty decision by the Canadian Soccer Federation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Not sure this is the correct thread for this but I can't see any other relevant so here goes...

I just saw Team Canada has elected not to pick Kyle Larin for the Canadian squad for the upcoming Gold Cup on account of his DUI. I have to say I find this madness of the part of Soccer Canada. We are not exactly blessed with talent, however this current crop of players is as promising as we've had for years. To deprive us of our best goal scoring threat is tantamount to throwing away any chance we had of a decent performance at this tournament. We might as well not show up. Granted we would need big performances not only from Larin, but Davies, Edwards, Ricketts, Johnson to make a dent, but to eliminate our best goal scoring threat before a ball is kick just doesn't make sense to me. I know there will be some who think Larin needs to be punished for his actions, but sure that is the function of the law, which I'm sure will not be lienent if the young man is found guilty.

I was quite looking forward to seeing Canada do well in this tournament, but that hope has been destroyed by the high and mighty decision by the Canadian Soccer Federation.
    In my eyes, DUI is pretty much equivalent of getting drunk and firing a gun randomly. He could have killed someone with his stupidity.

He's on MLS substance abuse program during at least the group stage of Gold Cup anyways.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actions have conquences.... So what he doesn't play in this gold cup, he is young and there will be many more gold cups for him to play in. He has been suspend in the league he plays, the CSA for all of its faults are not that stupid. The thought of putting winning or at least the thought of winning over doing what is the right is not what I expect from my national team.

I'm not sure about most nations, but I know that the Italian national team have a code of conduct and IMO not an bad team to try and imulate. No player is above the team and the rules. Many a time players are not selected due to their actions on and off the pitch. I'm not suggesting the banning of Larin, he just needs to understand that it's an hounor to wear the colours not a right due to talent
    Last edited by TheGoodson; 06-24-2017 at 09:31 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. CSA would be seen as a complete Mickey-Mouse operation if they brought Larin back too early, especially while he is still banned by the league. Not the right message to send to youngsters (or anyone) who watches these games and these athletes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was quite looking forward to seeing Canada do well in this tournament, but that hope has been destroyed by a drunkenly stupid decision by a young promising talent.

Fixed.

*NOBODY* should be above the law. This type of behaviour should not be rewarded. I don't care that it affects Canada's chances, but I'm sure that Cyle knows he could contribute and in a sense any failure they have is due to the consequences of his own actions.
    Last edited by Initial B; 06-25-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only Morrow taken to the gold cup.

We're gonna hit 70 points this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Only Morrow taken to the gold cup.

We're gonna hit 70 points this season.
    I hear that Bradley and Altidore are only out for the first round and will be used later on. Morrow is important but Edwards will be a solid replacement. We got lucky here in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BenRhodes23 View Post
    I hear that Bradley and Altidore are only out for the first round and will be used later on. Morrow is important but Edwards will be a solid replacement. We got lucky here in my opinion.
    Well Edwards is probably going to make Canada's Gold Cup squad himself. So this is actually a chance for Morgan to get some starts while they're both gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do respect someone having their opinions, but come on man, Larin basically felt he could in not as many words bribe his way out of a DUI with his stature as an Orlando Footballer. And he also said he was from Canada and didn't know he was driving in the wrong direction, kind of makes Canadians look like idiots.
    So in my opinion yes he should be punished by the law and the decision by the CSF was the correct decision.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Well Edwards is probably going to make Canada's Gold Cup squad himself. So this is actually a chance for Morgan to get some starts while they're both gone.
    Which is why Morgan has been worked back into the squad.

On the Cyle Larin thing:

He's from Brampton and Pickering. He did this within 24 hours of a CANMNT in Montreal. This could EASILY have happened here and killed any one of us or our friends or our family members. So, no I don't think its a good idea to let him out before he's gone through every last little bit of necessary education and rehabilitation. Sorry, but a Gold Cup result is not worth endangering all of us, thank you very much.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-25-2017 at 05:38 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my gawd they finally fired Kinnear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prefer that punishment for Larin flow from judicial decisions.

I saw the video, but I just think this trend of rushing to judgment is a bad trend for society
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I saw the video, but I just think this trend of rushing to judgment is a bad trend for society
    It's not really rushing to judgment if there's a video of the crime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, neither Bradley or Altidore are on the US Gold Cup roster, but Morrow is. I guess Arena is using this tournament to blood some of the youngsters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Wow, neither Bradley or Altidore are on the US Gold Cup roster, but Morrow is. I guess Arena is using this tournament to blood some of the youngsters?
    only five players over 30 caps on the whole squad. very experimental lineup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arena has already said he's calling in Altidore, Howard & Dempsey for the knock out games. There is a theory he might leave out Bradley but if there is any wobble at all between the midfield and the central defenders, Bradley will go.

I imagine our team without the Canadian and the US guys will still be decent with a midfield of Morgan, Delgado, Cheyrou, Vasquez & Beitashour. Only issue is Spencer beside Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Arena has already said he's calling in Altidore, Howard & Dempsey for the knock out games. There is a theory he might leave out Bradley but if there is any wobble at all between the midfield and the central defenders, Bradley will go.

I imagine our team without the Canadian and the US guys will still be decent with a midfield of Morgan, Delgado, Cheyrou, Vasquez & Beitashour. Only issue is Spencer beside Giovinco.
    Spencer seemed quite slow and a bit hesitant in the previous game, perhaps it was a bit of being star struck playing in front of the big crowd at BMO. I can see Seba becoming a tad frustrated.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s...ld-cup-p160970

As expected, Osorio, Ricketts and Edwards on the CANMNT Gold Cup squad.

So Hamilton stays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

sorry to bring this back up but there is a definite need to handle the Larin incident within the football world as well as within the judicial system.

Sports insulates kids who are very good from learning about how to act in civil society. They many times feel well above law because they can get away with so much (I have personal friends from various sports that have gone through this. From hockey to tennis to football it is the case for the very best).

Larin could have killled people out there most definitely and the law will take it's course on that front.

He was supposed to be resting to be ready for an orlando game, not going out and partying til 2am. He has been shit lately (two sitters missed against us he should have hit). What if this is the tip of the iceberg and he really has a problem? Let's make sure he gets his shit straight and becomes a seasoned professional and not a couldabeen washout.

I respect the kids ability and want to see him become the very best striker we've ever produced. It would be a shame to have to quibble over would could have been.

and he's back in MLS now.
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/socce...ui-charge.html
    Last edited by Section_105; 06-27-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s...ld-cup-p160970

As expected, Osorio, Ricketts and Edwards on the CANMNT Gold Cup squad.

So Hamilton stays.
    good stuff. was hoping we'd get some relieve between knockout and round robin selections. If all our player's teams go deep it will be a dramatic test of our depth. Imagine if this was 5 years ago and we had no depth? might need a scout to come out of retirement or something....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC Cincinnati beats first team Chicago Fire on PKs. that was a fun game, even if the score was 0-0

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami FC downs Atlanta on a last second strike by Poku. The Cincinnati game was unreal, especially considering how strong a line up Chicago fielded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the weidman made a appearance for cinci and scored a goal that they didnt count on iffy offside call .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The highlights of that Cincy Chicago didn't show much in 2 minutes but some of the saves were extraordinary. I still don't know about them as a viable town for MLS (they do a lot of freebies and have really cheap seats) but that was a loud crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Eleven; 06-29-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still trying to decide if Chicago getting eliminated in such fashion is good for TFC (lower morale) or bad for TFC (lighter schedule)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Still trying to decide if Chicago getting eliminated in such fashion is good for TFC (lower morale) or bad for TFC (lighter schedule)
    I was thinking the same thing last night. I am guessing on balance it is probably better for the Fire (so worse for us), for them to be out now. Apparently they did play a good line-up, leading you to believe they were not trying to lose. But I think that the knocks and rotation required with the extra games is a net disadvantage from a league perspective. Not every team has the same depth that we do!