Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Coach of the Year is a media/club vote unlike the awards Atlanta players have won, which are all fan votes and Atlanta fans are stuffing the ballot box for their guys. Vanney will win the vote for Coach of the Year.
    My guess is that he'll win ony in TFC wins the MLS Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The league has had a hard on for Atlanta all year. I hope Vanney gets coach of the year but I won't be surprised if Martino takes it. Here is an interesting depth chart for the USMNT. I usually agree with a lot that Matthew Doyle reports but I don't agree with some of his choices here. I.E. how he can possibly rank that goon Adams as high as he does.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...nt-depth-chart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    My guess is that he'll win ony in TFC wins the MLS Cup.
    Voting is based on regular season alone, and it may have taken place already.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Porter out at Portland, apparently. Indications are he resigned.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...finish-reports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Holy crap. Wow!

I wonder where he is going. I wonder if it's NYCFC, they may well feel that the Vieria experiment has run its course. Galaxy are the other obvious candidate.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some rumors that he might get the USMNT job, which let's say, would not be well received.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Cincy if they get an expansion slot is another rumor going around.

It's Ohio so sort of makes sense given his Akron history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find Porter, Vermes, Robinson and Marsch the biggest complainers and whiners I have seen on the sidelines in the MLS...

Zero class it seems as it is always someone else's fault why they lost, always moaning to 4th offical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to keep it tight in Columbus. Scoreless t the very least, an away goal in score draw would be a plus. I wonder if it worth considering a change in formation for this game given the absences, say a 4-4-1-1. I think we could use Hagglund's ability in the air in this game as weve looked a bit week in air in recent games. Mavinga seems to pick himself as his partner, with Betashour and Morrow as the two fullbacks. It could be a risk leaving out Moor's experience, however theres no denying he's showed his age in recent months. A midfield of Bradley Delgado Cooper and Edwards could spring a surprise and offer both an attacking threat from Edwards and some defensive cover from Cooper. Ricketts would play the lone striker role up front with Vazquez playing just behind him, providing supply. Osorio would appear the obvious omission here, however I think young Edwards has shown well against the Crew and is perhaps a bit more unpredictable than Osorio, however the later perhaps offers the ability to play both ways with greater consistency. Cheyrou is another consideration and I wouldnt object to him playing aside Bradley strengthening central defence whilst possessing the ability to play the forward pass with great accuracy. One thing is for sure, Greg Vanney will have to use his squad intelligently in this game to keep it tight, so it wouldnt surprise me to see him change things during the game to respond to events on the park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Porter out at Portland, apparently. Indications are he resigned.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...finish-reports
    A move to free himself up for the USMNT job, or to position himself for a potential GM/Coaching position in Cincinnati, should they get an MLS franchise as expected?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like MLS has narrowed down the expansion teams list to four finalist - Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville and Sacramento.

I guess Cincinnati makes sense since the Crew are moving to Austin. It would be nice to have another road trip team to visit in Detroit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's going to be Nashville and Sacramento because both will get SSS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine why they're considering Detroit. Rich owners or not there aren't enough rich people in Auburn Hills to support a fourth professional sports team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I can't imagine why they're considering Detroit. Rich owners or not there aren't enough rich people in Auburn Hills to support a fourth professional sports team.
    They're hoping to recreate an Atlanta thru Strong ownership. They looked guaranteed until they changed to an indoor stadium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    They're hoping to recreate an Atlanta thru Strong ownership. They looked guaranteed until they changed to an indoor stadium
    That's a dumb idea from the outside. I can't imagine that pitch is a whole lot more intriguing in the room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would also give them a Northern City in the east that could hold games in March without worrying about snow-covered fields. I could see them making an exception for Detroit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It snows in Detroit in March. It's only like a tick south of Sarnia.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?

Detroit's a huge market. There's plenty of money in the suburbs to support an MLS side, as well as the other major league teams.

That being said, it would be a huge shock to see them awarded a team given they switched venues to Ford Field and hooking up with the incompetent Ford family. If they were still planning to build an SSS on the jail site, they be a slam dunk for one of the two teams for sure.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/white...eement-fresno/

Unfortunate. Doubt this means anything positive for the game in Canada.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not good for the game in Canada and even worse for Vancouver's future. You simply must provide a step above PDL level for players who are not quite ready for the big team. They are relying upon an agreement that provides maybe...maybe...3 players with the minutes necessary to get better. That's a huge gap to fill.

I get the feeling Montreal and Vancouver think they will be able to loan out a lot of players to the CPL in 2019 (that league is not starting next year).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if I remember correctly the 2018 fixture list should be out during Christmas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    So if I remember correctly the 2018 fixture list should be out during Christmas?

The last 2 years the have released the home openers right around Christmas and then the full schedule drops early to mid January. In or around the 14th if I remember right

EDIT: I went back through the posts on here, last year the league released the home openers on Dec 21 and the full schedule on Jan 12th. Hopefully they continue the trend this year.
    Last edited by Blindside16; 12-13-2017 at 07:23 AM.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/white...eement-fresno/

Unfortunate. Doubt this means anything positive for the game in Canada.
    This is why I have my doubts about the CPL gaining any traction - Canadian fans will only support if it is the highest level that their team is playing in. First FC Montreal, followed closely by Edmonton and now WC 2. This is not good news.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    This is why I have my doubts about the CPL gaining any traction - Canadian fans will only support if it is the highest level that their team is playing in. First FC Montreal, followed closely by Edmonton and now WC 2. This is not good news.
    When Vancouver and Montreal were in the second division they had no problems attracting supporters.

If your only reason for operating a reserve team is to put bums on seats, then you has serious issues with setting out your priorities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man I gotta say, with Atlanta grabbing Nagbe, and that young Argentinian kid, they are going to give us a run for our money next year. They’re the #1 contenders for our Trophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nagbe is a shite replacement for whichever of Asad or Larentowicz he's replacing. Complete dogshit at doing what either of those two are good at - refuses to play the same direct passes Asad did all season from the wing and can't protect a backline like Larentowicz can. I have a sneaking suspicion that this trade makes ATL worse.

That and the fact that Tata tends to flame out as his tenure's roll on and he runs his players into the ground are the main reasons I don't think ATL will be markedly better next year. This doesn't make them more talented and makes them less balanced. Unless Nagbe completely changes his game I just don't see the reason behind such a risk.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nagbe is a shite replacement for whichever of Asad or Larentowicz he's replacing. Complete dogshit at doing what either of those two are good at - refuses to play the same direct passes Asad did all season from the wing and can't protect a backline like Larentowicz can. I have a sneaking suspicion that this trade makes ATL worse.

That and the fact that Tata tends to flame out as his tenure's roll on and he runs his players into the ground are the main reasons I don't think ATL will be markedly better next year. This doesn't make them more talented and makes them less balanced. Unless Nagbe completely changes his game I just don't see the reason behind such a risk.
    Larentowicz is already re-signed by ATL
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...gent-deal-2018
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Larentowicz is already re-signed by ATL
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...gent-deal-2018
    ah, hadn't caught that. Means it's Asad he's replacing. total opposite player. Don't see it working.

Nagbe is just a rich man's Osorio. Plays with the same tendancies.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    When Vancouver and Montreal were in the second division they had no problems attracting supporters.

If your only reason for operating a reserve team is to put bums on seats, then you has serious issues with setting out your priorities.
    It’s a tough problem, no doubt. I question if MLS teams have figured out the formula yet to make these squads more viable long term.

I think in a lot of cases talent development is a skill North American squads haven’t yet figured out (notable exception: FCD).